New House - New Theater - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
Thread Tools
post #91 of 103 Old 11-13-2014, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
audioguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far from Atlanta - but far enough!
Posts: 3,662
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post
I will be anxious to hear your impressions on the 7702. It is on my short list, along with the Marantz 8801(assuming a good deal can be had once the 8802's come out) to integrate in my system. Atmos isn't a priority for me, just something that has XLR's to compliment my new CAT-12's.

Mark has also mentioned his surrounds to me and I have interest, but the price is a bit higher than I would like...so who knows.
The question for you then is the demonstrably improved ability of Audyssey on the 5200/7702 also in the 8801 and I will have no way to test that.

Also, the Dolby Upmixer in the newer products to my ears and those of a friend is superior to Dolby PL xII and you don't get that in the 8801.

New Theater

Don't count the years. Make the years count. Lou Holtz
audioguy is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 103 Old 11-14-2014, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
COACH2369's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 1,722
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
The question for you then is the demonstrably improved ability of Audyssey on the 5200/7702 also in the 8801 and I will have no way to test that.

Also, the Dolby Upmixer in the newer products to my ears and those of a friend is superior to Dolby PL xII and you don't get that in the 8801.
Those are some points and I appreciate the information.
COACH2369 is offline  
post #93 of 103 Old 12-27-2014, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
audioguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far from Atlanta - but far enough!
Posts: 3,662
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 348
I have updated my list of equipment on the first page to include the speakers, amps and SSP changes installed to support Atmos (and Auro).

I am somewhat less than thrilled with the Marantz 7702. I have spent HOURS AND HOURS AND HOURS AND HOURS trying to eliminate a low level hum. This is the first time in my audio experience that I have not been able to ultimately solve the problem. I have replaced the unit. Tried cheater plugs, different combinations of outlets, disconnected everything imaginable, etc. The 7702 does not use a grounded plug so I stuck a piece of wire into the empty spot on a 3 pronged cord and attached the other end to a screw on the 7702. Nominal improvement. More of my efforts can be seen in the 7702 thread. No one else seems to be having this issue.

Furthermore, with my Integra 80.2, there were a number of optional listening modes that would enhance 2 channel music. The only one that seems to be available is the Dolby Surround Upmixer (DSU) and is has the rear surrounds WAAAAAAAAY to hot.

Not a happy camper. Note to self: Probably should have waited for the next evolution of Atmos/Auro SSP's.

I am also having some noise on my ceiling speakers from my Emotiva amp. It, too, only uses a cord that does not have a ground pin. This noise is not from the 7702 as it continues even if I disconnect the 7702 from the amp.

I will have to get an electrician here to assist as I am at a loss.

I will also be lowering my surrounds as they are almost 6 feet high or approximatley 2.5 feet above my ears. Worked great in a 7.1 system but may be diminishing the overall effect of a 7.1.4 system. Will be lowering them to about 50 inches.

That said Atmos (or just DSU) is clearly an upgrade to immersion quality of every movie we have watched.

New Theater

Don't count the years. Make the years count. Lou Holtz
audioguy is online now  
post #94 of 103 Old 12-27-2014, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
TMcG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Middle Earth
Posts: 2,951
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 368
I always forget how epic your theater is for some reason. Really, really nice setup!!

Sorry to hear about your issues with the 7702. I've fully resigned myself to selecting a SSP in September of next year (CEDIA), after the new crop of hardware is revealed. Everything should be HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2 by then so no worries for full resolution 4K.

I always had a question for you but never asked.....do you notice any time alignment / phasing issues with the L&R pulled out so far in front of the screen and the center hidden behind the screen @ 6-8 feet back from the L&R??
TMcG is offline  
post #95 of 103 Old 12-29-2014, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
audioguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far from Atlanta - but far enough!
Posts: 3,662
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
I always forget how epic your theater is for some reason. Really, really nice setup!!
Thank you very much. Acoustically, it is very very good. However, I wrestled for a long time on the aesthetics of my theater. I knew that in the form vs function equation, function was far more important. But since I completed my theater, I have seen quite a few examples of other completed theaters that could have provided both. I even considered some kind of "retrofit". I did make a few color changes to the acoustic panels, I may end adding some rope lights but other than that, I will continue to focus on tweaking the audio I have. Even looking at some big changes in that area. My issue at the moment is a hum/buzz that I have been unable to isolate since I purchased the 7702. I even swapped it for another but since it was shipped at the same time, if there were a hardware issue, this one would have it as well.

I was hoping to see more "almost complete" photos of yours. I will subscribe.

Quote:
Sorry to hear about your issues with the 7702. I've fully resigned myself to selecting a SSP in September of next year (CEDIA), after the new crop of hardware is revealed. Everything should be HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2 by then so no worries for full resolution 4K.
I wish I had waited. Not for the whole HDMI thing (or the buzz) because there are workarounds. But with Auro and Atmos having incompatible speaker layouts, there is currently no good ways with the current crop of SSP's to take full advantage of both - without having to re-load various configurations. It is FUN, however and when you finally do decide to pull the trigger, you will enjoy it a lot.

Quote:
I always had a question for you but never asked.....do you notice any time alignment / phasing issues with the L&R pulled out so far in front of the screen and the center hidden behind the screen @ 6-8 feet back from the L&R??
ZERO issues. The room correction software addresses all of that plus, in my OCD case, I use impulse measurements from all of the front speakers (and surrounds) to really tighten up the time alignment.

New Theater

Don't count the years. Make the years count. Lou Holtz
audioguy is online now  
post #96 of 103 Old 12-29-2014, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
TMcG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Middle Earth
Posts: 2,951
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
I was hoping to see more "almost complete" photos of yours. I will subscribe.
This is my hope as well but sadly it is not....yet. However, full renderings of the room are nearing completion and will be posted within the next month or so. The finish materials are so expensive that I felt I needed the renderings to help avoid any expensive 'oops' with the design aesthetic. It will also help me with materials estimation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
I wish I had waited. Not for the whole HDMI thing (or the buzz) because there are workarounds. But with Auro and Atmos having incompatible speaker layouts, there is currently no good ways with the current crop of SSP's to take full advantage of both - without having to re-load various configurations. It is FUN, however and when you finally do decide to pull the trigger, you will enjoy it a lot.
The final piece of the speaker layout puzzle should be revealed next week at CES when DTS (hopefully) announces the home specifications for their MDA/UHD 3D audio codec. To your point I *hope* there is some kind of forthcoming standardization in the speaker layout that will work for all three codecs. Maybe I am recalling incorrectly, is it not the case for the high channel count processors that they will accommodate whatever speaker layout you have and make all the time, filter, delay, EQ and phase adjustments accordingly?

I've been vacillating between two audio layers vs. three and figured I would just wire for three and rest easy with my prewire. So two full 11 channel beds and then 8 ceiling speakers plus all the LFE. I'll land around 22.4.8 for my final config. with 11.4.4 being the minimum first iteration.
TMcG is offline  
post #97 of 103 Old 12-29-2014, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Spanglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,861
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post

I will also be lowering my surrounds as they are almost 6 feet high or approximatley 2.5 feet above my ears. Worked great in a 7.1 system but may be diminishing the overall effect of a 7.1.4 system. Will be lowering them to about 50 inches.
Very nice looking theater, and great choice of hardware.

Good idea lowering the surrounds. I was running high surrounds too, but lowered them for the best overall sound with overheads.

For the same reasons you toed in the main speakers, it's worth doing the same with the surrounds and overheads.

 


PSN - Hapi_Kilmore_v3
My 6.4.4 Living Room HT
Spanglo is online now  
post #98 of 103 Old 12-29-2014, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
audioguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far from Atlanta - but far enough!
Posts: 3,662
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanglo View Post
Very nice looking theater, and great choice of hardware.

Good idea lowering the surrounds. I was running high surrounds too, but lowered them for the best overall sound with overheads.

For the same reasons you toed in the main speakers, it's worth doing the same with the surrounds and overheads.
Thanks for the complement.

The left and right surround are aimed right at my ear, The rear surrounds are aimed straight ahead. The front two height speakers now aim to the floor just in front of me and the rear Overheads aim at the floor just behind me.

New Theater

Don't count the years. Make the years count. Lou Holtz
audioguy is online now  
post #99 of 103 Old 01-13-2015, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member
 
phansson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: usa
Posts: 2,867
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
AudioGuy, I have just installed the AV7702 and do NOT have any humming issues. Just a heads up.

What Atmos speakers did you go with???
phansson is offline  
post #100 of 103 Old 01-13-2015, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
audioguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far from Atlanta - but far enough!
Posts: 3,662
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by phansson View Post
AudioGuy, I have just installed the AV7702 and do NOT have any humming issues. Just a heads up.
It's all a function of speaker sensitivity. Others who have highly sensitive speakers/amp combination have low level of hum/buzz as well. Contrary to what I was told by someone on AVS that is what the electrical system in my home (it was NOT), the 7702 is NOT dead quiet. If it is for you, that is great. Now that I have padded down all of my speakers, I no longer have hum/buzz either.

Quote:
What Atmos speakers did you go with???
Tannoy's

New Theater

Don't count the years. Make the years count. Lou Holtz
audioguy is online now  
post #101 of 103 Old 01-13-2015, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
phansson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: usa
Posts: 2,867
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
It's all a function of speaker sensitivity. Others who have highly sensitive speakers/amp combination have low level of hum/buzz as well. Contrary to what I was told by someone on AVS that is what the electrical system in my home (it was NOT), the 7702 is NOT dead quiet. If it is for you, that is great. Now that I have padded down all of my speakers, I no longer have hum/buzz either.

Tannoy's
I understand, I am running Parasound amps with Paradigm speakers. Maybe I got lucky with the processor...so far I have been quite pleased.
phansson is offline  
post #102 of 103 Old 01-13-2015, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
hometheatergeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 2,352
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Good afternoon Chuck, I sent phansson (Patrick) your way since he was getting into the same processor and Atmos setup. Hope that was OK. I guess now I need to wait just a little longer before making the trip to your new home in order for you to get everything working with Atmos.

BTW I wanted to come over during the holidays but we instead remodeled the first floor in our home with carpet, Luxury Vinyl flooring and granite countertops. Again if you are in the area where I live don't hesitate to call.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
hometheatergeek is online now  
post #103 of 103 Unread Today, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
audioguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far from Atlanta - but far enough!
Posts: 3,662
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 348
I am selling my 3 Seaton Catalysts 12C’s and their stands as a package. And am also selling my Seaton Sparks.

Why am I selling: As my wife will tell you, it has been an excruciating decision. But I was presented an opportunity to purchase some speakers by Triad (Platinum LCR's for the front and In Room Silver Monitors for the 4 surrounds) for a once-in-a-lifetime price so the OCD audiophile in me wanted to give it a go.

I can say without hesitation that the Catalysts are by far the best home theater system I have ever owned and at the price new, are just an incredible deal. My new speakers cost double and require the purchase of amps in addition.

If interested see FS: Seaton Catalysts and Sparks

New Theater

Don't count the years. Make the years count. Lou Holtz
audioguy is online now  
Reply What's Your System Configuration

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off