New House - New Theater - Page 6 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 15Likes
post #151 of 151 Unread Today, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimim View Post
your room is great, btw. really great job with the look of it. the plats look very much at home in there! lol

i have a question about your purepower. you have your amps going through it? i always thought amps should go directly into outlets? can you explain why. i just want to understand. the outlet the pure power is plugged into is that dedicated?

i wanted to do some kind battery backup for my room and maybe this might be the road to go if it's going to help keep things cleaner also.

my room is all 20 amp outlets that are run back to a dedicated 100 amp sub panel which has all the audio/video outlets on it's own 110 leg. the other leg is for networking components and another setup in my basement.

thanks again!
jim
Thank you for the kind words. And the Plats do like this room.

With my previous speaker system (Seaton Catalysts and Sparks - all powerd speakers), only the front end gear and the LCR were on the PurePower (I had a 15 amp version PurePower for the front end and 20 amp for the LCR). The surrounds, subs and ceiing speakers were just plugged into the wall.

I am now using a Class D amp (d-sonic outputting 800 watts into the LCR and 400 into the four surrounds) to drive all 7 of the ear level speakers and it is so efficient, that it, plus the front end gear only use about 35% of the capacity of the 20 amp PurePower. I have a 15 amp version boxed up to sell on which I had the front end gear from my previous system. At the moment, I only have the subs and ceiling speakers plugged into the wall. I am going to try the ceiling speakers plugged into the PurePower given it is only running at 35% capacity. That amp is an Emotiva XPA-5. The subs will always remain on their own. The front two subs are on a dedicated 20amp circuit and the rear two subs are on a different 20amp circuit.

There are many who say that these devices restrict dynamics. That has not been my experience. And if you contact PurePower, they will be able to tell you why their product will not do that. The way the PurePower is designed is that if the required (instantenous) load exceeds the output of the circuit (in my case a 20 amp circuit), the batteries in the PurePower will provide the difference. I don't know of any other product that does that, but there may be some.

New Theater

Romans 10:9-10;17

Obsessed is just a word the ill-informed use to describe the dedicated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 151 Unread Today, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
What a Gorgeous room.

Well done on your finish and the nice equipment
I wish, I had this kind of space to work with.

Ray
Thank you. My wife likes the look of the room and that is an important component (happy wife; happy life). In my last 3 home purchases (and one rental), I have made finding enough space for a listening room (initially 2 channel) the very highest priority.

And before I had a large dedicated space (early 80's), I used a very large family room for my 2 channels listening (I must add that I was single at the time). That room was eventually filled with very large speakers (Apogee Divas) driven by huge Krell Mono Blocks. To this day and at any price I have yet to hear that kind of sound in my room. The room was large with 18 foot vaulted ceilings - and this was WAY before room correction technology. These speakers were on the opposite end of "amp friendly". I blew up several well regarded amps trying to drive them. The only amps that worked were Krell and Rowland.

Sorry. I sort of wandered off topic but the nostalgia button was pressed.

New Theater

Romans 10:9-10;17

Obsessed is just a word the ill-informed use to describe the dedicated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply What's Your System Configuration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page