New House - New Theater - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 79 Old 12-29-2013, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 169
We moved from another home and brought with us our theater equipment less the screen, masking system and room treatment.

The current room dimensions are 22 x 19.3 x 7'11". The room was originally a loft but we basically built an entire new room: double dry wall; Green Glue, carpet underlay to reduce sound from creeping into other parts of the house, new doors and door seals and thresholds, sealed all electrical outlets. The room was originally 27 feet long but took off 5 feet to get better acoustic dimensions and to have a place for my equipment and media storage. Also, we needed space for the center channel which is behind the AT screen

It's about 95% complete but we have watched our first movie. Listening to music using DiracLive on my server is excellent. Movies with Audyssey needs more work -- but we are close

VIDEO EQUIPMENT: Sony 600ES w/ Powered Panamorph Anamorphic Lens and sled and Sony 4K Media Player; Screen Masking System by Carada; Seymour Acoustically Transparent 2:35 120 x 51 inch screen (1.1 Gain - XD Material); Lumagen XD Video Processor (not currently in use);

SPEAKERS: LCR: Seaton Catalysts 12C Powered Speakers on sand-filled Seaton Stands; SUBS: Seaton SubMersive HP (4); Surrounds: Seaton Sparks (4) Powered Speakers

ELECTRONICS: Integra 80.2 SSP (with Audyssey Pro); APS 1050 Power Conditioner; APS 2000 Power Conditioner; Emotiva XDA-2 -- USB D to A Converter;

SOURCES: Music Vault Diamond Music Server (J River and J Remote for controlling my music server); Dirac Live room correction software running on MusicVault; Oppo BD103D Bluray Player which includes DARBEE DARBLET High-Defintion Image Enhancer; DirecTV DVR; Apple TV

ROOM STUFF: Theater chairs by Berkline; Room design and all acoustic treatment by GIK

MISCELLANEOUS: BlueJeans Cables (XLR and Single Ended)

Upgrade possibilities: The on-wall Seaton Sparks that will fit into the four columns that were sized based upon the rumored dimension. I have no idea when they will be ready for production nor what the price will be. The next upgrade will be to try (it is on order) the yet to be delivered Emotiva SSP that will utilize Dirac, which, at least for music running on my server, is a far superior product (in my opinion) than Audyssey.

Dirac gives you three choices for measurement: Single seat; Couch; room. And it is VERY carefully spelled out almost exactly where the measurement are to be taken from, and how many.

R 8:28

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 79 Old 12-30-2013, 05:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Fantastic room and equipment. I bet it is pure joy. Enjoy!!!!!

My updated (2/2014)HT set-up

post #3 of 79 Old 12-30-2013, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thank you. The red throw blankets add just the needed touch of color.

As noted above, the sound for music (using DiracLive on my server) is very nice. I will need to re-run Audyssey (Pro) as the sound for movies is a bit less than stellar.

Since this is the first time I have had a theater on a second story (wooden floor - not a basement concrete floor) the bass response is quite a different tactile sensation. It will take some getting use to.

I have kept track of your theater also and LOVE the crisp look of the room as well as the speakers you selected. (And my OCD antenna went hyperactive when I observed all of the vacuum marks on you carpet).

What a strange hobby/disease/addiction we have !!!! biggrin.gif

post #4 of 79 Old 12-30-2013, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post

Thank you. The red throw blankets add just the needed touch of color.

As noted above, the sound for music (using DiracLive on my server) is very nice. I will need to re-run Audyssey (Pro) as the sound for movies is a bit less than stellar.

Since this is the first time I have had a theater on a second story (wooden floor - not a basement concrete floor) the bass response is quite a different tactile sensation. It will take some getting use to.

I have kept track of your theater also and LOVE the crisp look of the room as well as the speakers you selected. (And my OCD antenna went hyperactive when I observed all of the vacuum marks on you carpet).

What a strange hobby/disease/addiction we have !!!! biggrin.gif

We have somewhat similar tastes. I have a 7.2 JTR set-up but the Seaton Cats have always intruiged me and would love to hear them one day. I just ordered new LCR speakers today...got the JTR Noesis 212 for LCR as a replacement for my JTR T12 and T8. Now time to start saving up my pennies for a 4K projector like yours :-)

Enjoy your new room. It is awesome!!!

My updated (2/2014)HT set-up

post #5 of 79 Old 12-30-2013, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Love the look of your new room.

I can only imagine how nice it will sound once you are at 100% complete and done tweaking. Your previous room is still my favorite sounding room to date, so I hope to hear this one some day. smile.gif
post #6 of 79 Old 12-30-2013, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post

We have somewhat similar tastes. I have a 7.2 JTR set-up but the Seaton Cats have always intruiged me and would love to hear them one day. I just ordered new LCR speakers today...got the JTR Noesis 212 for LCR as a replacement for my JTR T12 and T8. Now time to start saving up my pennies for a 4K projector like yours :-)

Enjoy your new room. It is awesome!!!

Thanks again. I came close to getting JTR speakers for my surrounds because I was not able to get comfortable with a firm date commitment on the release of the thinner profile Sparks. That could still happen.

I'm sure your room sounds incredible as well. You have a serious amount of woofage.

I can't tell from the photos but do you have any kind of room treatment?

post #7 of 79 Old 12-30-2013, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Simply Awesome Audioguy!

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360 HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
post #8 of 79 Old 12-30-2013, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post

Simply Awesome Audioguy!

Thank you so much. It's a fun hobby (usually)!

post #9 of 79 Old 01-01-2014, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31

Happy New Year Chuck. How's the new house coming along?

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------

post #10 of 79 Old 01-01-2014, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for checking in. The house is complete and the theater is 98% complete (some cosmetic issues and installing my new Sony 600ES and getting Control4 up and running). Also need to get Audyssey to sound a bit better.

The good news is that the "upper midrange glare" I could never completely eliminate in my other theater appears to be gone biggrin.gif

post #11 of 79 Old 01-02-2014, 03:17 AM
AVS Special Member

That's great news, buddy. So what do you think is different between the two rooms that eliminated the glare?

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------

post #12 of 79 Old 01-02-2014, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Nice theater Audioguy.
post #13 of 79 Old 01-02-2014, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post

That's great news, buddy. So what do you think is different between the two rooms that nmeliminated the glare?

I'm not sure of the cause in the other room nor the cure in this room. I'm reasonably convinced it was the type or placement of acoustic treatment and I did this room a good bit differently. What I do know is that I'm glad it's gone!

post #14 of 79 Old 01-08-2014, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

New Sony 600ES was installed today. All I can say is W OW !!!!!!!!!!

Out of the box picture is stunning. Sports Center looks incredible. Watched a few minutes of a couple of Blurays and I am really glad I made this purchase.

post #15 of 79 Old 01-08-2014, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

That's fantastic buddy. So when do we get an invite?

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------

post #16 of 79 Old 01-08-2014, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post

That's fantastic buddy. So when do we get an invite?

As soon as I figure out what is wrong with one of my speakers and re-run Audyssey!!

post #17 of 79 Old 01-09-2014, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As soon as I figure out what is wrong with one of my speakers and re-run Audyssey!!

Sounds like a great plan.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------

post #18 of 79 Old 01-09-2014, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Watched a few minutes of the 4K version of Spider Man earlier today. Incredible biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

I have a new version of the OmniMic test data disk that has test signals for 5.1 channels. Helped a friend today to use it and by modifying sub distances in his SSP, got virtually flat response in all channels. Amazing. I will be doing the same to my system this weekend hopefully after re-running Audyssey.

post #19 of 79 Old 01-10-2014, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 75
That room looks really nice Chuck. Your gear and layout are top notch. I see you are running Aud pro but you are also running DIRAC Live? It seems like that's just for music in your system. Can you use it for movies as well. If so, what would happen to the Aud calibration. Would you just not use it? Again, great room and I am on the second floor as well. Although a much smaller room.

It ain't easy being green.

post #20 of 79 Old 01-10-2014, 11:57 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:

Upgrade possibilities: The on-wall Seaton Sparks that will fit into the four columns that were sized based upon the rumored dimension. I have no idea when they will be ready for production nor what the price will be. The next upgrade will be to try (it is on order) the yet to be delivered Emotiva SSP that will utilize Dirac, which, at least for music running on my server, is a far superior product (in my opinion) than Audyssey.

Dirac give you three choices for measurement: Single seat; Couch; room. And it is VERY carefully spelled out almost exactly where the measurement are to be taken from, and how many.

Looks great, too bad DIRAC is not available other than on the DATASAT and Computers!

My humble Cinema
post #21 of 79 Old 01-10-2014, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Looks great, too bad DIRAC is not available other than on the DATASAT and Computers!

Thanks for the complement. The forever delayed Emotiva SSP will use Dirac and if it becomes available during my life, I will buy one.

That said, there are a lot of little tricks you can do outside of Audyssey to allow Audyssey to sound MUCH better than without using these little tricks -- adjusting surround distance to improve envelopment; adjusting sub distance to improve FR of every speaker in the room.

Audyssey is an amazing product. I just like the capabilities and audible results better with Dirac.

post #22 of 79 Old 01-10-2014, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

That room looks really nice Chuck. Your gear and layout are top notch. I see you are running Aud pro but you are also running DIRAC Live? It seems like that's just for music in your system. Can you use it for movies as well. If so, what would happen to the Aud calibration. Would you just not use it? Again, great room and I am on the second floor as well. Although a much smaller room.

When I run Dirac on my server, it feeds my Integra (for bass management) but I turn Audyssey off. Yes I am only using Dirac for music. Some guys have created the equivalent of an SSP on their server and can run Dirac for movies as well. I will stick with the Integra 80.2 until Emotiva releases their Dirac based SSP. If the Emotive piece is better, I will sell the Integra. If not, I will return it and keep the Integra.

And thanks, Mike, for the complement.

post #23 of 79 Old 01-13-2014, 04:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When I run Dirac on my server, it feeds my Integra (for bass management) but I turn Audyssey off. Yes I am only using Dirac for music. Some guys have created the equivalent of an SSP on their server and can run Dirac for movies as well. I will stick with the Integra 80.2 until Emotiva releases their Dirac based SSP. If the Emotive piece is better, I will sell the Integra. If not, I will return it and keep the Integra.

And thanks, Mike, for the complement.
Got you. So will the Emotiva SSP have both Audyssey and Dirac or just Dirac for everything.

post #24 of 79 Old 01-13-2014, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Got you. So will the Emotiva SSP have both Audyssey and Dirac or just Dirac for everything.

Only Dirac!

post #25 of 79 Old 01-13-2014, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Only Dirac!
Got you. I hope the Emotiva piece is a good one. I don't know much about them except what I have seen on their website

post #26 of 79 Old 01-13-2014, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Only Dirac!
Got you. I hope the Emotiva piece is a good one. I don't know much about them except what I have seen on their website.

post #27 of 79 Old 01-13-2014, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have used the Emotiva 3 channel amp which I loved (when I had passive surrounds) their preamp (which was really really good) and am currently using their DAC. I'm sure the new SSP won't be up to the standards of a Theta Casablanca but it will also be about 1/10th of the price !!

post #28 of 79 Old 01-13-2014, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

So that's a 7.x channel preamp right? It looks like from your system config that it would work fine but you don't see any need for heights or wide speakers in your setup?

post #29 of 79 Old 01-13-2014, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So that's a 7.x channel preamp right? It looks like from your system config that it would work fine but you don't see any need for heights or wide speakers in your setup?

I have no doubt that the addition of either heights and/or wides might improve the overall experience, but I have to stop somewhere. I have a 4K projector that throws an image that is hard to describe -- more brightness, better color and better clarity, an anamorphic lens that operates on an automated sled, a new unity gain screen with a new automated masking system each of which allows me to see wide screen film in all of it's glory, speakers that have incredible real and dynamic sound in a well treated room. And through some extension of the Mark Seaton trick of adjusting bass distances in the SSP, we have been able to get very flat response in all 7 channels. Lastly, by didling with the distances of the surrounds, overall envelopment can be vastly improved. I have ZERO complaints nor any desire to add more stuff .... other than an improved SSP. My HT audio and video is as good as I have ever heard/seen at any price anywhere and, my 2 channel music listening is way more than adequate!!

And, should I desire to add either heights or wides, I will move the rear surrounds to operate in that capacity.

Lastly, I am going to be fully retired soon and the ability to spend 47 bazillion dollars quarterly (or whatever it costs to maintain this addiction), will no longer be an option biggrin.gif

post #30 of 79 Old 01-13-2014, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

That's so great that you have arrived. Your video setup sounds like a real winner as well. It does sound like you are at, or near the end of the journey. I guess the only other thing is if native 4k. I am assuming that if that comes down the pike for movies, you will move into that area and that would be it. But I have no doubt that your system is reference ++.

Reply What's Your System Configuration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page