Lloyd's basement Theater Room - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-03-2014, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, very long time lurker here, thought I would post a couple pics after a couple recent upgrades. I finally got rid of my Hitachi 57" CRT RPTV after almost 10 years. I purchased the cheapo Vizio 60" on BF from Walmart and couldn't be happier with the upgrade. Here's a list of the equipment:

Vizio E601i-A3 TV
Toshiba BDX2700 BDP
Marantz SR5007 AVR
Outlaw Audio Model 750 Amplifier
Xbox 360
Directv HD Receiver
Panamax 5300-PM Power Center

M&K S-150 THX LCR
M&K SS-150 THX Surrounds
M&K CS-22 Column Surrounds
SVS PB-12 Ultra/2 Subwoofer
Homemade Room Treatments

I purchased the M&Ks in 1999 at age 20. Spent almost all the money I had at the time on them. Got the Outlaw amp shortly after that. I originally had the MX-150 sub but had the chance to upgrade after an unfortunate "problem" in my basement. I still remember emailing Tom at SVS. He told me the Ultra/2 would have 3-4 times the output of the M&K sub. I thought he was crazy, ordered it anyway and then realized he was 100% correct. I honestly have no desire to upgrade the current speakers, the M&Ks are near perfect for me for movie soundtracks. Anyway, here are a few pics.

image-3.jpg[/URL]

image.jpg[/URL]

image-2.jpg[/URL]

image-4.jpg[/URL]

image-1.jpg[/URL]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-03-2014, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

BTW, I was thinking of moving the panel above the TV to below the TV so it would be behind the center channel, any thoughts on this?
post #3 of 7 Old 01-05-2014, 03:15 AM - Thread Starter

Imbedded the pics, didn't know they weren't showing up.
post #4 of 7 Old 01-05-2014, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Looks good. I think the panel above the TV, would work better behind the center channel.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-06-2014, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post

Looks good. I think the panel above the TV, would work better behind the center channel.

Thanks. I actually moved another one from the back of the room that was behind a door to under the TV. It wasn't doing much back there anyway. Not sure if I should re-run Audyssey or if it would even matter. Probably won't.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-06-2014, 08:35 PM

What is your opinion of those M&K speakers? I've been a bit tempted to pick some up, but at the prices those bring, its just not worth the risk to me. An I can't seem to find any dealers locally that have them hooked up in a theater room to audition against other popular HT speaker systems.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-07-2014, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JThiessen View Post

What is your opinion of those M&K speakers? I've been a bit tempted to pick some up, but at the prices those bring, its just not worth the risk to me. An I can't seem to find any dealers locally that have them hooked up in a theater room to audition against other popular HT speaker systems.
Short answer, for movies they're excellent, for music they're mediocre at best IMO. It's hard to explain but for music they just don't have any life to me. I have some DIY bookshelves with Focal drivers that I use for music and these were bought solely for movies so I can't give much input on music. When I bought these they were setup in a demo room that also had a Revel setup (don't remember the model, a 15-20K system though) and the M&Ks gave up very little on movie soundtracks. We watched the depth Dynamics were as good or better which was what caught my ear nad the intelligibility of the center is and was very impressive. I have kept these longer than anything I've ever bought so that's saying something I guess. I've thought about changing too but I'm afraid I'll miss the sound of these. wink.gif
Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Vizio E601i A3 60 Inch Led Lcd Hdtv , Marantz Sr5007 Home Theater Av Receiver , Panamax M5300 Pm 11 Outlet Clean Power Level 4 Black , Svs Pb13 Ultra
Gear in this thread - E601i by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page