my system to date - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 01-23-2014, 03:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've godt a denon x2000 7.1 reciever which holds 2x b&w 685's as left and right front Speakers i've recently bought a used b&w lcr6 s2 as center bought it for only 100$ which i think is pretty cheap acording to the reviews which gives it 5 stars. Im looking for a good sub also used since you save a lot of money that way :-D give me some comments on my setup :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-23-2014, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 409
Hi, are going to be using your setup for movies and music?

I would check out the classifieds here on AVS and the other popular places for a sub. It really depends on how much you want to spend, but since you have some good speakers I think they deserve a good sub to compliment them.
slemmon likes this.
post #3 of 13 Old 01-23-2014, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAkrist View Post

I've godt a denon x2000 7.1 reciever which holds 2x b&w 685's as left and right front Speakers i've recently bought a used b&w lcr6 s2 as center bought it for only 100$ which i think is pretty cheap acording to the reviews which gives it 5 stars. Im looking for a good sub also used since you save a lot of money that way :-D give me some comments on my setup :-)

Hi LAkrist, as you might also be aware this thead is all about sharing/showing pictures of our HT systems. Post pictures please or it didn't happen. smile.gif
post #4 of 13 Old 01-25-2014, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

I will show some pictures when i get a new TV table else it doens't look that impressive. But what are your toughts about my center speaker is the lcr6 s2 good or should i buy a b&w htm62 for 3,times the price than the LCR. :-)
post #5 of 13 Old 01-25-2014, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I will show some pictures when i get a new TV table else it doens't look that impressive. But what are your toughts about my center speaker is the lcr6 s2 good or should i buy a b&w htm62 for 3,times the price than the LCR. :-)

Will wait for the pix. smile.gif

As regards your setup the Denon x-2000 is a pretty good choice, it has Audyssey's MultEQ XT room correction system t/w DynamicEQ on board. The B&W front LCR's are very nice speakers, make sure to toe them in to face the MLP (Main Listening Position).

If I were you I would stick with the LCR6 instead of the more expensive HTM62. I looked up the specs of both for you and the former one has 89 dB sensitivity, while the 3x more expensive HMT62 has only 85 dB. That 4 dB difference is pretty huge and means in order to reach the same SPL (Sound Pressure Level) the Denon would need to pump in much more power (Watts) to the speaker. Remember, 3 dB means double power requirement (like instead of 30 Watts, in needs 60 Watts). You will always get strain off the amps with higher sensitivity speakers.

Meantime, in order to get the best out of your center speaker here are a few points to consider:

1. Make sure to tilt the center speaker to face seated ear height. Speakers (any) will produce not only their highest SPL on-axis, but will also show their broadest frequency response. Use tilt supporters for this purpose. (You may look at my setup/ link in my sig for ideas).

2. If center speaker is placed on a shelf above or below TV (or in a cabinet) best is to nudge it off about an inch from the edge. This will help tame so-called early reflections created by nearby surfaces and will result in increased in-room dialog intelligibility. (If not enough, I used to say jokingly there is a final resort of turning on same language sub-titles!!) LOL

3. When done with the above "cold setup" make sure to run Audyssey MultEQ XT with all 8 microphone positions with first one placed at the MLP (Main Listening Position). Use a camera tripod or an inexpensive mic stand with boom arm. The Audyssey mic has a camera tripod thread on the bottom. These can ensure the mic is placed at seated ear hight during the calibration test.

4. When Audyssey ready go the the menus, set all speakers to "Small", set all crossovers to 80 Hz. Engage MultEQ XT and DynEQ, make sure Dynamic Volume is off. Your done.

5. Grab a cold beer in one hand, remote in the other and ENJOY! Make it LOUD!

Hope this helps. smile.gif
post #6 of 13 Old 01-25-2014, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for det great respone a lot of things i've never thought about very helpful :-) -I will take a look at your Setup as soon as possible :-
post #7 of 13 Old 01-29-2014, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

Hey again guys, need some help on purchasing a sub, I found a used cambridge X300 near me at 366,- US dollars which is way below half price my question is will i fit my system? -thanks :-)
post #8 of 13 Old 01-29-2014, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey again guys, need some help on purchasing a sub, I found a used cambridge X300 near me at 366,- US dollars which is way below half price my question is will i fit my system? -thanks :-)

The x300 has a driver of 8 inches only. Generally that is too small to be called a subwoofer. Try to find something at least with a 12 inch driver if you'd really like to have deep, smooth and even bass. Hope this helps. smile.gif
post #9 of 13 Old 01-29-2014, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

I've found a JBL 15 inch, but since I have a medium room now, and Probably going to move into an apartment soon, wouldn't a 8 inch work? I know a 12-15 inch would be "killer" watching the dark night Rises on but still? Thanks again for quick response ;-)
post #10 of 13 Old 01-29-2014, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've found a JBL 15 inch, but since I have a medium room now, and Probably going to move into an apartment soon, wouldn't a 8 inch work? I know a 12-15 inch would be "killer" watching the dark night Rises on but still? Thanks again for quick response ;-)

Of course 8" will work, but JBL 15 " will work better, i.e. deeper. From hereon its hard to give advise! smile.gif
post #11 of 13 Old 01-30-2014, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Quote:

...wouldn't a 8 inch work? I know a 12-15 inch would be "killer" watching the dark night Rises...

Depends on what she likes...if she looks scared when she sees the "Dark Knight" rise for the first time, you may be in for an arduous evening.

LOL--JK (I had to!).... but in all seriousness, an 8” sub won’t suffice.  Early in grad school, I lived in an apartment with a roommate, which really mean I lived in a room, that happened to be in an apartment.  I had a Panasonic 8” sub as part of an HTIB—I always felt like I should be getting better performance.  If would port chuff and the woofer would buzz from fast motion.  Then I got an Onkyo system with a 12” subwoofer, and all my theater woes went away.

post #12 of 13 Old 02-12-2014, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Lol thanks for the advise :-D well, i looked at some b&w 683 floorstanding Speakers but the man in the shop told med, that my denon x2000 will not be powerful enough, my question is should i upgrade to the x3000? -Thanks
post #13 of 13 Old 02-12-2014, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Lol thanks for the advise :-D well, i looked at some b&w 683 floorstanding Speakers but the man in the shop told med, that my denon x2000 will not be powerful enough, my question is should i upgrade to the x3000? -Thanks

By all means NO! The man in the shop is a fool! LOL He wants you to upgrade (read: spend mo money at his shop!) On a serious note, the power rating difference between the two Denons is minimal, both AVRs will definitely be able and capable to drive your speakers. Worry not! 105 Watts vs. 95 Watts is negligible. Think of a 3 dB increase from 95 Watts would mean double power, i.e. 190 Watts. rolleyes.gifcool.gif
Reply What's Your System Configuration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page