post #31 of 39 Old 07-14-2014, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by thezaks View Post
Thanks! When you mention gaming, do you mean computer games or ? We have a Wii U at home, and that is the only gaming we do at home. Would a JVC be OK with Wii U games?

Also, with a .8 DNP and the X500, I'm wondering if I would be able to keep the JVC on low lamp mode for a nearly dark room?

Dave
So long as you're not playing fast-twitch games (e.g. competitive online-multiplayer first person shooters where the lowest delay/lag means the difference between you killing someone before they kill you) then you should be fine. I do play those games and I still do good and enjoy it, but I hope JVC makes the next model better in this regard. I would think you would be fine with the Wii U, just create a Custom mode and name it "Game" and turn off as much processing as possible. This will yield the lowest lag for gaming.

100" dnp .8 + X500 should be fine in a dark room in low lamp mode with a new bulb, but I'm not sure how well it will be in low lamp with 2000 hours on the bulb. My bulb is still nice and bright and I'm at ~1250 hours. If you're set on getting the dnp .8, just get the X500/RS49 from somewhere with a return policy and try it out...if it's too dim then return it. Then you will know that you will need a brighter projector (even brighter than the Sony HW55). Epson 6030 would be the next best option unless you want to spend even more money, or get a bright DLP (but then contrast and black levels may not be that great - though that black dnp .8 screen will definitely help a DLP have better contrast).

Folks w/ dnp .8 (I believe both have ~100" diagonal screens)
Andreas21
Kev1000000

Both have projectors that get pretty bright. Andreas has a super expensive pj and Kev has a super cheap pj, but they both light that material up well. I believe the JVC will work fine in the beginning, I just don't know how it will fare as the lamp ages.

Andreas has a Sony VW1000
Kev has a Epson 8350 (that was awhile back though, probably has something different now)

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 Old 07-16-2014, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 14
The only problem with the Epson's is that to exceed the light output of the Sony HW55ES, you have to use high lamp mode, which produces fan noise that is much louder than the JVC.

Dave

FOR SALE: Wireworld Platinum 6 1M HDMI Cable. Originally $1000, selling for $500 obo. Please PM me, if interested.
post #33 of 39 Old 07-16-2014, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quick question:

I have all of these screen samples. How do I look for sparklies? Just bright white video content - like snow or something?

Thanks,
Dave

FOR SALE: Wireworld Platinum 6 1M HDMI Cable. Originally $1000, selling for $500 obo. Please PM me, if interested.
post #34 of 39 Old 07-17-2014, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
The only problem with the Epson's is that to exceed the light output of the Sony HW55ES, you have to use high lamp mode, which produces fan noise that is much louder than the JVC.

Dave
Yep, there's going to be tradeoffs with all of them, even if you get a Sony VW1100 or Sim2 SuperLumis. But if you need brightness, you either have to deal with fan noise (or put the projector in a hush box), or buy an expensive bright projector that has a really large chassis and quieter fans. There really isn't much of a difference in brightness between the JVC X500 & Sony HW55 so if it's between those two I would get the JVC hands down. Only if you require more brightness would I get the Epson 6030 + Hush box. And if that's not an option then you may be looking to really spend a lot more in order to get what you want to achieve.

Quote:
Quick question:

I have all of these screen samples. How do I look for sparklies? Just bright white video content - like snow or something?

Thanks,
Dave
Yeah, an all white scene is the best. And make sure the screen sample is hung in the middle of the screen as that's where the light will be focused the most and where you will primarily notice it on a full screen of that material. On my screen, there's a little bit of a hotspot in the middle, but that's because I couldn't mount my projector as far back as recommended (my pj is mounted 3' closer than recommended). It will look like tiny rainbow sparkles all over the sample. And the brighter the projector is, the worse it will sparkle. I noticed this even on the dnp .8 material. The only screen sample I tested that didn't produce any noticeable artifacts, was the Stewart ST100. I would love to have that screen material in a black velvet cave.

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Mr. Hatcher; 07-17-2014 at 10:04 AM.
post #35 of 39 Old 07-17-2014, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks so much!! By the way, I thought of another picture I would like to see of the screen. Do you have lighting in your room with the screen? I didn't see any from the pictures you posted, but if you do, a picture (either at night or daytime with the blinds closed for the windows/doors) with all the lights on would be a good one to check out, so that we can see how the DNP screen handles the lights.

Dave

post #36 of 39 Old 09-04-2014, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks so much!! By the way, I thought of another picture I would like to see of the screen. Do you have lighting in your room with the screen? I didn't see any from the pictures you posted, but if you do, a picture (either at night or daytime with the blinds closed for the windows/doors) with all the lights on would be a good one to check out, so that we can see how the DNP screen handles the lights.

Dave
Hey Dave,

Sorry for the delay, I was sick for 2-weeks and then very busy with starting a new job. Still very busy to be honest, but I have a "little" spare time here and there now. I replied to your PM. Just let me know which picture(s) you would like to see and I'll try to get them uploaded as soon as possible.

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher

post #37 of 39 Old 09-05-2014, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hatcher View Post
Hey Dave,

Sorry for the delay, I was sick for 2-weeks and then very busy with starting a new job. Still very busy to be honest, but I have a "little" spare time here and there now. I replied to your PM. Just let me know which picture(s) you would like to see and I'll try to get them uploaded as soon as possible.
No worries - I sent you a PM. Glad you're feeling better

Dave

post #38 of 39 Old Today, 12:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
No worries - I sent you a PM. Glad you're feeling better

Dave
Here you go Dave...finally...sorry for the wait again. I can't include these 5 photos in my original post without removing some photos first (only 30 are allowed per post and I have 27).

Bulb Hours & Software Version (9/16/2014):

All 4 Can Lights ON (Custom 2, High Lamp):

Front 2 Can Lights ON, Rear 2 Can Lights OFF (Custom 2, High Lamp):

Front 2 Can Lights OFF, Rear 2 Can Lights ON (Custom 2, High Lamp):

All Can Lights OFF (Custom 2, High Lamp):

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher

Last edited by Mr. Hatcher; Today at 12:38 AM.
post #39 of 39 Old Today, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Perfect - thanks so much!!

Dave

Reply What's Your System Configuration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page