AVS Forum banner

Home Cinema 1.0

5K views 34 replies 9 participants last post by  Nosferatu 
#1 · (Edited)
I finally bought a house and decided to go all out with a theater room.

FINAL PRODUCT

UPDATE #2 - EDIT: FINAL SETUP ALL COMPLETED!!!CLICK HERE

UPDATE#1 - EDIT: NEW PHOTOS PROGRESS POST #11 CLICK HERE

The Hardware
Seats:
Transformer Power Reclining Sofa with two Home Solutions DuraBlend Home Theater Recliners

Projector:
Sony VPL-HW40ES

Screen:
150" on wall

AV Receiver:
Denon X4000 AV Receiver

Speakers:
Aperion Audio Grand Verus Towers x2
Aperion Audio Grand Verus Center x1
Aperion Audio Verus Forte Satellites x4

Subwoofer:
Seaton Submerssive HP+ Subwoofer

Sources:
HTPC - XBMC (20 terabytes)
DirecTV
Xbox360

Safety:
Panamax Surge Protector/Line Conditioner

I was going to go with dedicated amps with a pre/pro but this thing goes to deafening levels as is already. Don't see the need.

I have a bunch of photos with a video showing it operational.

Aperion Audio Grand Verus

Aperion next to my PSB Image T6

Aperion Grand Verus Center next to my Klipsch RC-52

Aperion Satellites

Walking up to the theater room (only room on second floor)

Infant Stages - Loading up the equipment upstairs

Seating Area

Center Channel on a Stand

The Projector

Testing the screen out

131" left to right, makes it about 150" for 16:9 ratio

Seaton Submerssive HP+

Seaton Submerssive HP+

Camera Flash, night time view

The Seats

SHOWTIME!!!

Ghetto wiring for now until I set it up.

See less See more
2 21
#2 ·
Congratulations on the new home. Your theater is going to be great and I'm liking your choices so far.

I didn't add an amp for loudness, I added one to improve sound quality by making the sound fuller and less strained. At least that is my opinion for what it is worth.

FYI - you are going to enjoy having the ceiling fan in the room. I often turn mine on during movies when we have a crowd.

Did you paint the screen wall white or grey?

#5 ·
Thanks for the compliments guys. Professionally gets wired/mounted/installed tomorrow with everything. Cannot wait.

Did you paint the screen wall white or grey?
Bought an Elite Screen 150". Goes up tomorrow.

How do like your aperion?
How do you find the Aperion Grands vs. the PSB Image?
Sound amazing. There's no limit in volume. No distortion. Clean sound. Impressive bass for a floor standing speaker (center included). The PSB's sound great but bass is more "bloated". For the PSB's I put a cross over on it to push the bass to my sub on them in the living room (Outlaw LFM-1 EX). Takes away some of the bloat. Otherwise, both sound amazing. The Aperion's are better overall in sound and appearance.

Reactions: darthray
#3 ·
I finally bought a house and decided to go all out with a theater room.

It's still a work-in-progress. It's operational as we speak as a 5.1 with wires galore.

To do still:
Set up as 7.1
Wall mount the surrounds (I have the B-Tech Ultragrips here)
Ceiling mount the projector (I have a Chief RPAU here)
Buy a 150" screen (not in a rush screen looks good on wall)
Bury the wires
Light Treatment for the room

The Hardware
Seats:
Transformer Power Reclining Sofa with two Home Solutions DuraBlend Home Theater Recliners

Projector:
Sony VPL-HW40ES

Screen:
150" on wall

AV Receiver:
Denon X4000 AV Receiver

Speakers:
Aperion Audio Grand Verus Towers x2
Aperion Audio Grand Verus Center x1
Aperion Audio Verus Forte Satellites x4

Subwoofer:
Seaton Submerssive HP+ Subwoofer

Sources:
HTPC - XBMC (20 terabytes)
DirecTV
Xbox360

Safety:
Panamax Surge Protector/Line Conditioner

I was going to go with dedicated amps with a pre/pro but this thing goes to deafening levels as is already. Don't see the need.

I have a bunch of photos with a video showing it operational.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csyLl64-I58

Aperion Audio Grand Verus

Aperion next to my PSB Image T6

Aperion Grand Verus Center next to my Klipsch RC-52

Aperion Satellites

Walking up to the theater room (only room on second floor)

Infant Stages - Loading up the equipment upstairs

Seating Area

Center Channel on a Stand

The Projector

Testing the screen out

131" left to right, makes it about 150" for 16:9 ratio

Seaton Submerssive HP+

Seaton Submerssive HP+

Camera Flash, night time view

The Seats

SHOWTIME!!!

Ghetto wiring for now until I set it up.
How do like your aperion?
We have the same set-up (7 aperion Verus Grand) except for the subs, electronics and projector.

Nice room by the way, I wish I had that much space.

Ray

#7 ·
thanks. As soon as everything is done I'll post up photos. Just sitting here waiting for the installers to show up. I got picture frames for my movie posters. I put one up while waiting. I figured man of steel was the best option going up the stairs you have superman flying even higher...

Looks good from the bottom of the stairs before you walk into the theater (one large bonus room).

Attachments

#8 ·
thanks. As soon as everything is done I'll post up photos. Just sitting here waiting for the installers to show up. I got picture frames for my movie posters. I put one up while waiting. I figured man of steel was the best option going up the stairs you have superman flying even higher...

Looks good from the bottom of the stairs before you walk into the theater (one large bonus room).
A word of advice with posters, if you look at my room page 113 post 3366 & 3368
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/604394-please-join-post-what-speakers-you-have-113.html
And page 111 post 3301
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/604394-please-join-post-what-speakers-you-have-111.html
I got a few.
Make sure to use some of those self adhesive felt thingy where ever the poster touch the wall!!!
That way you will not get any unwanted vibration on the wall (poster vibrating) from the subs created from the lower frequencies.

Just a little trick.

Ray

#9 ·
That is one nice looking room with some very nice gear. I remember hearing Aperion speaker a long time ago and thought they sounded really good. I am sure it all sounds great when you mix in the SubMersive HP. Do you plan on adding room treatments? For me, it was one of the best investments I have done. Man I wish I had the space for a screen like that. 150" is massive to me.

#11 ·
UPDATE

Got the projector and the speakers professionally installed. Next up, mounting the screen and the light treatments for the room. The screen is sitting on two chairs because I'm, like a kid, impatient and wanted to see how the system operates.

Added a Logitech Harmony Ultimate One while I was at it...

#13 · (Edited)
UPDATE

Got the projector and the speakers professionally installed. Next up, mounting the screen and the light treatments for the room. The screen is sitting on two chairs because I'm, like a kid, impatient and wanted to see how the system operates.

Added a Logitech Harmony Ultimate One while I was at it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Myr-mpd6d-w

Nosferatu, out of curiosity what type of screen is that and how far is it from your chairs and the projector?

Nice use of a far from optimal space!
+1 on that

But I got a question, well it is more a comment to the OP!!!

The aperion bookshelf are made to mount verticaly, not horizontal for sound wise.
They did use some nice speaker mount, but WHY put why not put them vertical (those speaker are enginneer to play standing-up, not on there side).

Please contact aperion custumer service and ask for their advice!
As far, as I am consern.
They are pro to intall for look and did a wonderfull job, but they should also know how audio work.

Not trying to put your room down!
(those Rosewood sure look nice, kind of make me regreting geting the piano gloss finish).
Trying to help you to get the most of such beautiful and well engineer crafted speakers.

Love your room, but it jump at me.
And since I am kind of andio geek, wanted to past some Info to you.

Ray

#14 ·
The surrounds sound fine to me the way they are. Care to elaborate on what you're talking about with the mounting altering the sound? If I put them vertically with those mounts I couldn't rotate the speakers downward and they would have been firing way above the height of the seats. I didn't want them sitting too far low to have someone walk into them and hit them.

They are the satellites (not the bookshelf) of the Verus lineup. The center and towers are their flagship models but I went with the satellites because I didn't need the extra bass nor did I need the woofer port out back getting muffled because they would be sitting close to the wall as I have them set up.

#15 ·
The surrounds sound fine to me the way they are. Care to elaborate on what you're talking about with the mounting altering the sound? If I put them vertically with those mounts I couldn't rotate the speakers downward and they would have been firing way above the height of the seats. I didn't want them sitting too far low to have someone walk into them and hit them.

They are the satellites (not the bookshelf) of the Verus lineup. The center and towers are their flagship models but I went with the satellites because I didn't need the extra bass nor did I need the woofer port out back getting muffled because they would be sitting close to the wall as I have them set up.
My bad!
I tought they were the Bookshelf where the tweeter is mounted above the mid/woofer and not like the Satellite where the the tweeter is mounted into the mid/woofer.

On this type of speaker, I don't think it would matter in theory.
You can always send a quick e-mail to aperion service for confirmation.

On the bookshelf, they are made to be standing up, not on there side.

But from your reply, your speaker mount can only go up or down, (the way they are installed) but cannot go side to side?
Did I got your reply right?

If so, it would make sense that the installer did it this way.

Ray

#22 ·
Here's the screen mounted. I need to do some minor adjustments but overall looks awesome. Shot these in day light with a GOOD AMOUNT of light coming in. Obviously it looks better at night time. Light treatment is my final step to completion. See my photo for the one pain in my butt window that I'm going to have a problem covering up. Any suggestions on how to cover it (considering it's curved at the top)...

Attachments

#25 ·
I got a sugestion, well it depend if you want light during the day or make it semi-permanent.

For my space, I just got new windows install arournd the house.
The sell man notice that my theater window was painted with black paint.
So, he offer to put a thick black vinyl over the window that can be removed in the future, in case you sell the house.

Worked out good :)

But like I said your room will be permently dark if you go that (unless you decide to remove-it).

Depending of what you want, it might work or not!?

Ray

#26 ·
well if I get right on top of the screen (e.g. a couple feet) of course it looks a bit blurry. I'm stretching a 1920x1080 image to 150". From about 5 feet back and beyond it looks sharper and sharper. I have no complaints.

#27 · (Edited)
FINAL PHOTOS OF COMPLETED SETUP
FIXED THE WINDOW TREATMENTS SO NOW NO LIGHT GETS IN

#29 ·
black vinyl? Do you mean the blackout material I used?

I went to an AV shop and they told me go to Jo-Ann fabrics. I then went to Lowe's and bought some industrial-type double-sided tape. Cost me about $65. The curtains were a bit more (~$300).

#31 ·
Yes they work like a charm. Here's everything all set. Broad daylight the main window is getting hit with sun and voila...pitch black. :)

#33 ·
I just wanted to say that it was a pleasure meeting you today. I was excited to finally see a 150" screen in person as that is the size I recently purchased from Seymour. Can't wait to get started on my 2.0 Home Theater Build. The Seaton sub was EXTREMELY impressive. It provides lots of sub-sonic impact and plenty of clean slam for your room. When I first saw photos of your room, I wondered if the surrounds were big enough for your setup but they sounded fantastic as well. I honestly wouldn't change a thing in your setup. Truly a first class home theater. Well done sir. Next time you are headed towards Plant City, hit me up. I'd love to have you over for a few demos of my modest setups.

#34 ·
I just wanted to say that it was a pleasure meeting you today. I was excited to finally see a 150" screen in person as that is the size I recently purchased from Seymour. Can't wait to get started on my 2.0 Home Theater Build. The Seaton sub was EXTREMELY impressive. It provides lots of sub-sonic impact and plenty of clean slam for your room.
Hehe thanks! That sub eally makes the movies come alive. It's not overwhelming but when it hits the room completely gets pressurized.

When I first saw photos of your room, I wondered if the surrounds were big enough for your setup but they sounded fantastic as well. I honestly wouldn't change a thing in your setup. Truly a first class home theater. Well done sir.
Thanks for the kind words. I know the photos make the room "look simple" but it's hardly the case when I turn the system up.

Next time you are headed towards Plant City, hit me up. I'd love to have you over for a few demos of my modest setups.
will do :cool:

#35 · (Edited)
I decided to throw up a video demonstration of the "Cinema Experience"

HTPC is the main front of my setup. The plugin I use allows me to queue up as much stuff as I like before a movie starts.

I have it set to play two movie previews for movies that are not out yet. I have it set to play of similar (not exact) genre to the movie I've selected to watch. I then instruct it to play the IMAX intro and then load the movie.

Software allows many more tweaks (e.g. more trailers, movie trivia, etc.).

This really makes it like a theater when I have guests over. I demo'ed it to youthman when he was over. I've cropped the video to save time or else it would have been over 5 minutes.

Shot this with a cell phone with flashlight on to try and help get it picked up. Watching it gives the idea of the experience.

EDIT: It pulls the trailer off the internet in 1080p. The intro clip is locally stored.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.