AVS Forum banner

My Livingroom system

676 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Lenthan 
#1 ·
Here is my system. It's set up in my living room so it's not exactly optimized for sound or viewing but it works well for the family......way more kids shows played on it then movies these days anyways.

I used to work in a store that sold Home Theater equipment so the equipment is a mix of things I purchased at a discount or got free back then and some things that have been upgraded along the way. I just added the TV a few weeks ago and boy was it an upgrade over my old Sony KDL-46Z4100 LCD.

Equipment

AVR: RX-A1030
Disk Player/game system: PS4
Power Conditioner: Panamax Max 5510
Remote: Harmony Elite with the Home extender.
TV: LG OLED55B6P
TV mount: ECHOGEAR EGLF1-BK

Speakers

Main: B&W CM4
Center: B&W CMC
Surround: Definitive Technology Mythos Gems
Surround Back: Some cheap in ceiling speakers....not even sure the brand haha
Sub: Definitive Technology Super Cube II
Zone 2(Kitchen/Dining room): Boston acoustics in ceiling speakers (can't remember exact model)

Cabling:

Amazon basic HDMI
Speaker Wiring: Some Monster Bi-Wire cables for the LRC but can't remember the model number, they came in a black case with a handle(fancy.....got them before I knew monster was overrated and at cost so can't complain to much)
I also have some fancy power cord plugged into the Power conditioner, it probably doesn't do anything but I got it cheap.

I built the cabinet several years ago as part of a deal with my wife to to upgrade to a new Sony LCD TV(TV before was a Sony 34XBR that I kind of wish I would have held onto but it was big and heavy and was just taking up space). I designed the cabinet in Google sketch up and it came out pretty much exactly how I imagined, everything fit where it was supposed to. The one thing I would do different is the equipment cabinet under the TV needs to be an inch or 2 deeper, as it is now my AVR barley fits. The TV is mounted on an articulating bracket as the opening in the stand was designed for the 46 inch TV mounted so it hung just inside. I ran a dedicated circuit with 10/2 wire to the TV and installed a hospital grade outlet(outlet may have been overkill). I have some Z wave light switches in the room so I can control lighting via my Harmony remote.

I do have some PC fans built into the cabinet to try to exhaust some of the heat, they work with mixed results. If I run them at 12v they are pretty loud as they are mounted directly to the wood and it causes vibration. As it is I run them at like 8v and that keeps the noise down. I used to have a Sony ES receiver that had a switched outlet they were plugged into so they only operated when the AVR was on. With the current Yamaha that's not an option. I have thought about getting some kind of plug strip that turns on via the 12v trigger on the receiver but have never got around to researching that option. I did see an option advertised on this site of exhaust systems that work with a thermostat but I'm not sure it's worth it, its worked as is for almost 8 years haha.

Some things I would like to do in the future are upgrade my PC with a GTX 1080 then run either HDMI from the next room to have PC gaming capabilities on the TV. The PC is in the room to the left of the TV so I hope both the HDMI length and wireless peripherals will work. The other option is to use a Thunderbolt dock and optical Thunderbolt cable but that's a pretty expensive option.

A few years ago I had to replace most of the drivers in the B&W speakers. The speaker surround on both the mid and bass drivers became very hard and brittle, B&W sold my replacements at a discount as they were well outside of the warranty. It was kind of an odd problem, I don't know if it was simply caused by me not driving them hard enough for extended periods of time or if it was a manufacturing problem. I had to replace all of the tweeters as they made very nice buttons that my then 2 year old couldn't resist pushing. He also liked to squeeze the dust covers on all of the other drivers. You can see the grills have been modified, I had to add some bolts and washers to them so they couldn't be removed, out of sight out of mind for the kids.

Anyways here are some pictures, the wife does all of the decorating.

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks

I agree but the kids don't haha. I kept them off before children and for the first 2 years after our first son was born then he decided the tweeters make a good button to push. Grills went back on and had to be bolted down as pulling of grills to get to tweeters was just a new wrinkle in his game.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.