QX1, HD-SDI Theater - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 123 Old 12-14-2003, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK folks, I've been hinting in these forums over the past year about what I've been building, and now it's done. First, here's what the theater entrance looks like:

http://www.trubey.net/images/SmallMarquee.jpg

From the back:

http://www.trubey.net/images/SmallFromBack.jpg

And from the front:

http://www.trubey.net/images/SmallFromFront.jpg

With curtain up:

http://www.trubey.net/images/SmallScreen.jpg

Concession area:

http://www.trubey.net/images/SmallConcession.jpg

Closeup of the projector porthole:

http://www.trubey.net/images/SmallPorthole.jpg

We decided early on to use the JVC QX-1 projector for the 11' wide 16x9 ratio screen. You can see the small projector porthole above the exit sign at the back of the theater. Those black grilles at the back top are the rear speakers while the front has Dunlavy SC-IVs for L/R and a pair of modified Dunlavy SC-IVs for 2 center channel speakers (one above and one below the screen, placed horizontally).

The QX1 delivers 7000 lumens with 2048x1536 resolution, so we actually use only part of the panel when showing full HDTV resolution. The projector is bright enough to watch football games with the lights on, but we always dim the lights for movies. Contrast ratio, color and pixel structure are all great in that the blacks look really black, with nice shadow detail (but not awesome shadow detail, might have something to do with the negative gain screen we have), the colors are superb, and the picture looks continuous, no screen door, no pixel structure, no color blocking (on HD material anyways).

The projector is heavy at 200 pounds, so we bolted a 1/4 steel panel to the concrete ceiling to act as its base - the projector is housed in a permanent hush box with sound deadening flexible lead imgregated foam material on all interior surfaces. We have a dedicated chiller unit blowing cold air onto the projector and into the main AV rack.

One of the architectural requirements (ie we screwed up in the planning) was that the projector was mounted higher than the top of the screen. The QX1 does have a lens downshift, but this only allows the projector to be at the same level as the top of the screen. Most of the remaining distance above the screen was made to work by the fact that we only use the bottom 2/3rds of the LCOS panel (it has 1536 vertical pixels and we only use 1024 even for HD). We still needed to tilt the projector downwards a little bit, but the internal trapazoid corrector works and doesn't seem to impact the image noticbly.

Currently, the only recommended input into the QX1 is HD-SDI (DVI is still several months away), a broadcast video standard. This pretty much dictated the choice of an upconverter to a Teranex or a Snell&Wilcox Ukon. For complicated reasons, we ended up using the Snell, but recently, I had a chance to demo a Teranex and after some A-B comparisons, the Teranex seemed every so slightly better for video quality. I'll post more info if people are interested.

You'll notice the chandelier which happens to clip the top of the image, so we put the chandelier on a winch and steel cable - it lifts up when the curtain goes up to watch a show.

All lighting is controlled by a Vantage lighting/dimmer control system and the electronics are controlled by a Crestron. The Crestron tells the Vantage to do things via an RS-232 control connection.

One of the things I wanted to do is to provide a true cinema experience for movie showing parties. So I have three DVD players. One is used to show the theater intro (Welcome to the Regency Theater, etc.) which was done by Digital Forge, the other DVD player is used to show a movie trailer as a preview of an upcoming movie, and then the third DVD player shows a DVD if we're playing a DVD that night (alternatively, we show movies on the JVC 400 D-VHS player). The main DVD player was modified by JVB Digital to output SDI for the Snell. Anyways, I have a Crestron program that does the whole movie playing experience: raise curtain/chandelier, dim lights, start theater intro, switch DVD source and play trailer, switch source again and play rest of theater into ("Feature Presentation" display), switch source again and show main movie. I have to set up all the sources at the right spots and pause the players beforehand, but it all works.

I opted not to use subwoofers, just using the 25hz woofer drivers in the Dunlavy SC-IVs. The speakers are driven by 4 McIntosh amps. THe big McIntosh 602 is used just for the woofers L/R drivers. Three McIntosh 352s are used for the L/R, center and rear channels respectively. This seems to work just fine - makes music very tight (stereo imaging in the theater is awesome!), wile giving enough rumble for the movies.

Enough for now, more later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 123 Old 12-14-2003, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Liked: 24
Holy cow.

Michael
post #3 of 123 Old 12-14-2003, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Absolutely incredible ! Could you give us some room dimensions ,riser heights, and a pic or two of your screen wall. Real tough to top this theater !:)

PS When did you say you were having your home theater meet ?:)

Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater
" Complaining makes you the victim.Change the situation, leave the situation or accept the situation, all else is madness"

post #4 of 123 Old 12-14-2003, 10:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Not what I would do with that budget, but truly stunning nonetheless.
I haven't studied the Dunlavy's, but I am surprised you didn't opt for sub-woofers. For me, the woofers in the Wilson X-1s wasn't near enough, though impressive. And my room is smaller than yours to be sure.

Anyway, great work. Would love to see that HD picture from the QX-1....
Just watched U571 last nite, er this morning (some folks insisted we roll the DVHS tape at 0100) and the SX-21 never ceases to amaze me with it's image quality. But the QX-1 and the Snell together must just leave people slack jawed.

rotary subwoofer install blog ultimate subwoofer install : http://bassment.wordpress.com/ ... c
post #5 of 123 Old 12-14-2003, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

The theater is 16' tall at the front (slab to concrete ceiling), and 11 1/2' tall at the back. About 21' wide and 29' long. This was an addition to the house - we basically dug this huge hole in our front lawn and partially into the driveway, while also gutting a study on the main floor. From the main floor, you have steps down to the basement where you see a sitting area where the marquee is and thenonto a concession area and theater. So the superstructure of the theater is a 12" to 18" complete concrete shell.

In 20-20 hindsight, we should have made the theater 2-3' longer (to accomodate the recliner chairs better on the 2nd and 3rd rows and to give more depth for the center channel speakers), and 1' higher (which would have allowed us to raise the screen higher resulting in no projector tilt). The architecture and design really drove the theater with the equipment doing the best it can to fit in. In the end, the compromises haven't impacted (that I can tell anyways) the A/V results.

I was wondering if the Dunlavy's would be enough without the subs and so far I'm happy. I'm not a true earth shaker kinda guy anyways. But the chairs do shake during explosions, so that's pretty good. The fact that the woofers have a massive dedicated amp probably helps.

More pictures soon.
post #6 of 123 Old 12-14-2003, 06:09 PM

So your theater made it on JVC's website?? What approximatley was the budget anyway?

http://www.jvcdig.com/QX1_Home_Theatre.htm

Mac
post #7 of 123 Old 12-14-2003, 11:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 24
Very sweet.
But, I think you could have bought one the theater chains that went into bankruptcy for the same price.
post #8 of 123 Old 12-15-2003, 12:12 AM - Thread Starter

OK, I added three pics to the original post up above one of which shows the theater front with the curtain up.

Yes, JVC's technical folks asked for pics to show off what a QX1 can do for your theater :-)

And yes, a friend of mine also pointed out (correctly I think) that buying a real theater would have been cheaper. But it wouldn't have been as much fun!
post #9 of 123 Old 12-15-2003, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
This is connected to your house? I thought it might be Disneyland or something;) Stunning accomplishment!
post #10 of 123 Old 12-15-2003, 03:05 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I would have replied sooner, but I was stunned.

The only thing you need to add to that theater is an Odyssee motion simulator. In fact, it would be a travesty not to have one, considering you have arguably the most top end HT on the board here.

In the future, you will find people who claim they will be able to surpass the performance, but I seriously doubt that many would ever pass the aesthetics and style.

Sorry Art, but you are no longer top dog in the style category.
post #11 of 123 Old 12-15-2003, 03:39 PM
PRETERNATURAL IMMERSOPHIL

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1672 Post(s)
Liked: 914
Send a message via Skype™ to CINERAMAX
That trully is the finest projection system in any Home. Congrats. And the Decor was well executed to boot.

Sincerely, GC*
rAVe Best ATMOS DEMO CEDIA 2016. HOARDS AWARDS, ACCOLADES, 1ST ART CREDS.,WLD. RECORDS, & HI PERFORMANCE 16-24-32-48 CH. MIDI-PLF CINEMAS WW. - CUSTODIAN HIGH END IMMERSIVE CINEMAS TO SMPTE & ADV. IMAGING SOC. HELP Combat Channel Insufficiency with Altitude 48!*GC = GANGSTA C. genus: cineramus maximus. GC Twitter (Now staging Humanitarian Relief Aide to Great Bel-Air Circuit B-chain & 6P/HDR Projection Famine of 2017)
post #12 of 123 Old 12-15-2003, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the kind words guys. I agree, over time the equipment in this theater will become pedestrian, which is one more reason why we spent the time and effort on the architecture, which if executed properly, can be timeless.

We thought seriously about Odyssee (we got a great demo at Widescreen Review), but in the end decided we can add version 3.0, or whatever, later. One negative of the first version that we looked at was that it raised the chairs a not-insignificant amount. Anyways, we'll take another look at it when the dust settles some more.
post #13 of 123 Old 12-16-2003, 02:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Liked: 1288
ptrubey-

That's quite an architectural accomplishment there, and I'm sure a wonderful room to "get lost in." Might I inquire as to the team assembled to pull everything together so far as design, installation and calibration?

Congrats,

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
post #14 of 123 Old 12-16-2003, 07:35 AM
Advanced Member

Again STUNNING!!
post #15 of 123 Old 12-16-2003, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

That is the most ridiculous home theater I have ever seen. Congratulations. :D
post #16 of 123 Old 12-16-2003, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Absolutely fabulous!

What type of acoustical consideration where taken?

post #17 of 123 Old 12-16-2003, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 703 Post(s)
Liked: 526
I too would love to know the "ballpark" figure with respect to cost simply because I am always curious about what different rooms cost to construct/set up.

Oh and you're a pro athlete/celebrity, aren't you?;)
post #18 of 123 Old 12-17-2003, 12:48 AM
Advanced Member

Only for the sake of the other forum members :) and since I live very near you, I will be happy to come over to 'critique' your theater :)....

Jaime

If you can't say anything kind at least have the decency to be vague...
post #19 of 123 Old 12-17-2003, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter

We didn't put in any specific acoustical treatments. Actually, the room sounds fairly dead - I was worried that given it's start as a concrete box, that it would be too live. But I guess due to the room volume, and the side drapes, the side fabric (between the side drapes is padded fabric), and the nooks and cranies everywhere, the room calms down.

JVC calibrated the projector in their facilities and the theater installer did the final tweaking (although I've done some little tweaks too). At some point when I'm happier with the DVD display path, I should get a proper calibrator in here. James Conlin of the Home Theater Store in San Diego did the initial design concepts. He basically drew great front, side, and ceiling flat 2D drawings. Our architect just didn't "get it" and by this time had fobbed us onto a draftsperson, so we gave up on him producing proper architectural drawings for the finish work from James' drawings. So we relied on our general contractor (Wardell Builders) and a few talented sub-contractors to pull it off - building prototypes of the ceiling coves, for instance, and a lot of on-site meetings to design by the seat of our pants. While this was a frustrating experience sometimes (more for the workers, I think, than us), it did result in us incorporating lots of finish detail that we otherwise wouldn't have thought of (these good subs kept suggesting different ideas). The coves in particular were very time consuming to pull off since they are constructed of three different elevations of plaster (and each plaster layer is composed of three coats), along with a lot of curved wood.

If you guys are that keen, I'd love to have an AVS night. Sometime in the new year.
post #20 of 123 Old 12-17-2003, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 703 Post(s)
Liked: 526
Just out of curiosity, how old are you?
post #21 of 123 Old 12-17-2003, 06:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I live in Beverly Hills. I would love to see the theatre, so please do organize a theatre night. I'll cook some incredible Rigatoni Bolognese with crispy Porcini mushrooms and truffle oil to do my part in the event. It will also help to counter the drooling ;-)
Let us know, we'll organise something nice.

Silence is overrated!

FS: Sony VPL VW5000ES. Two Weeks old REDUCED: $ 32,900.00

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/218-di...-ve5000es.html
post #22 of 123 Old 12-18-2003, 05:41 AM

Liked: 11
I'm Drooling!!!!

On The 8th Day, God Created Home Theater.
post #23 of 123 Old 12-18-2003, 06:50 PM
PRETERNATURAL IMMERSOPHIL

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1672 Post(s)
Liked: 914
Send a message via Skype™ to CINERAMAX
"At some point when I'm happier with the DVD display path. "

May I make a suggestion to help improve the DVD chain?

http://www.miranda.com/pdf/datasheet/DT-4101.pdf

I guarantee you will enjoy a 12-15% improvement if you try Mirandas mosquito noise reducer in between the SDI DVD and the Snelly Wilcky. While it makes wonders on highly compressed s-vhs DSS images, it has a knob (which I forget now what is called) that used very slightly clicks-in a very filmlike mode on dvd's. I would not recommend this for dlp, but it is ideal for the QXILA.

We are continously incrementaly more impressed with the MNR capacity to complement a Theta-to- InterpolatorG- to Roger G. Calibrated G-90 on a 11 wide Torus screen, which is the closest CRT projection is ever going to look to QXILA, imho after spending 2 hours with a QXILA watching Chicago.

I think Dunlavy's are the ideal D'appolito home theater speakers too. Specially in a semi in-wall version which they claimed 10 years ago could be built.

I guarantee you that the MNR will add film warmth to MPEGGY DVD's, which your projector will greatly enhance into a film like experience.

Why don't you get William Phelps involved in the calibration, that is your best bet. Although in totally separate stratospheres, I was surprised to find that there are many similarities in the "look" of a QXILA and a G-90, you will benefit from someone expert on both, I think.

Sincerely, GC*
rAVe Best ATMOS DEMO CEDIA 2016. HOARDS AWARDS, ACCOLADES, 1ST ART CREDS.,WLD. RECORDS, & HI PERFORMANCE 16-24-32-48 CH. MIDI-PLF CINEMAS WW. - CUSTODIAN HIGH END IMMERSIVE CINEMAS TO SMPTE & ADV. IMAGING SOC. HELP Combat Channel Insufficiency with Altitude 48!*GC = GANGSTA C. genus: cineramus maximus. GC Twitter (Now staging Humanitarian Relief Aide to Great Bel-Air Circuit B-chain & 6P/HDR Projection Famine of 2017)
post #24 of 123 Old 12-18-2003, 08:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Wow, a stunning accomplishment. What was the first movie you watched once it was all complete? Is your only HDTV source the JVC 400 or do you have a Time Warner or cox cable box hooked up to it? Do you use firewire or component out of the JVC 400?

A fantastic setup by all standards, especially the architecture.
post #25 of 123 Old 12-19-2003, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips guys. The JVC 400 is connected via component to an AJA transcoder which outputs HD-SDI. LIkewise for our Samsung 160 Directv receiver - HD video is stunning. I'm 40 Rob, why do you ask?
post #26 of 123 Old 12-19-2003, 07:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Absolutely wonderful. Congratulations to you and the team of artisans and technologists you assembled. I love the attention to detail, like the Tiffany-style stained glass exit sign. What was your inspiration for the theme? A Tuscan village?

Quick question: the Dunlavy's were a great choice for speakers, but where did you get them? Were they new or did you already have them? Just wondering since I don't think Dunlavy has been in business for a while now.

BTW, kudos to you also for avoiding the tacky price/budget questions posted. Obviously deep pockets were required, but vision, talent, and persistence are the biggest factors for making an undertaking like this successful. Well-done.
post #27 of 123 Old 12-19-2003, 07:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I would love to find out how much it cost to do something like that, but would never ask, since that is a personal thing. I can only imagine if one person was to do all the work, instead of a team, how long it would take to finish.

Fabulous theater, my compliments to the visionary mind behind all this and the artisans who pulled it off.
post #28 of 123 Old 12-19-2003, 07:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 20
ptrubey, One thing I forgot to mention is that I would love to see pics of the rest of your house! If it is anything like the theater addition, it would be an amazing place! I would love to make the drive down to San Diego for a meet if you have one, to check the whole thing out. I just showed my wife and it blew her away. Also, the fact that you raise the chandelier is just crazy!
post #29 of 123 Old 12-19-2003, 08:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Wonderful beyond words.

What a terrific space and wonderful project.

Love to see more, but go watch some movies in this terrific theater!

Randy
post #30 of 123 Old 12-19-2003, 08:34 PM
QQQ
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally posted by rlindo
Just out of curiosity, how old are you?
Quote:
Originally posted by SVonhof
ptrubey, One thing I forgot to mention is that I would love to see pics of the rest of your house!
And could you post a picture of where you hide the key outside? Also a few of your wife please.

p.s. Bank account information would also be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread What's Your System Configuration