My HT Setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2007, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
stevec325's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Newtown, PA
Posts: 3,231
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Since I don't visit this thread unless I am updating my equipment list,
if you have questions/comments, please feel free to send me a PM
.

Displays
Pioneer 60"Kuro Signature Elite PRO-141FD - Main HT Display
Pioneer 42" Elite PRO940-HD [repurposed to bedroom, when 141 arrived]

Audio/Video Processor
Denon 4310ci AVR
[upgraded 2/5/10 from a Denon 2807]

Speakers
Definitive Technology Studio Monitor 450's (FL/FR)
[upgraded 5/1/09 from SM350's]

Definitive Technology BP2X (surround L/R)
[Upgraded 8/10/10 from Studio Monitor 450's]
[upgraded 2/5/10 from Pro Monitor 1000's]

Definitive Technology Pro Monitor 1000's (rear surround L/R)
[currently no longer in operation; 5.1 is more than sufficient for my HT needs]

Definitive Technology Pro Center 2000
[Upgraded 8/10/10 from Pro Center 1000]

Rythmik F12SE Subwoofer
[Upgraded 8/15/10 from Definitive Technology Pro Sub 1000]

Digital Source Components
Oppo BDP-83 Universal/BluRay player
PS-3 (former BD/DVD player, now just a game console for the kids)
Apple Airport Express - streaming audio content from computer(s)

Analog Source Components
Denon DP300-F Turntable
AT 440MLa Cartridge

Programming Content Devices
Motorola 7332 HD Multi-Room DVR (FIOS)
Motorola QIP-7100 HD STB (FIOS)
Apple TV 2nd generation [added 12/25/2011]

Other HT Components
Panamax M5300-EX Power Filtering & Surge Protection
PS3ToothFairy IR -> BT converter for PS3
Toshiba HD-A2 HD-DVD Player - retired.
Oppo 981 SD-DVD Player (retired and replaced with the BDP-83)

Remote Control
Harmony One Remote

All interconnects from Monoprice.com
Speaker Wire: 12 gauge Carol Cable ($35/spool/100')

No Monster anything!
No Uber-Priced Stereophile-Rated Smoke & Mirrors Power Cords or Interconnect Cables!
No magical audiophile-required voo-doo cable-lifters, special goo, pads or fuses and absolutely no esoteric BS!

Assembled with love and common sense!
LL

-steve
My HT Setup - updated 12/25/2012
"...and all the science, I don't understand. It's just my job, five days a week."
stevec325 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-21-2007, 05:18 PM
Advanced Member
 
khellandros66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 928
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Very nice setup Steve, I am eager to see some pics. Also wondered if you plan to do BD/HD Neutral, its the best place to be ;-)

~Bobby
khellandros66 is offline  
Old 09-21-2007, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
BasicBlak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,853
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hey Steve... Damn impressive setup you got there indeed! I'm especially intrigued by that 12-ga Carol Cable you mentioned for $75/100'. How's it workin' for you? I'm always in the market for high quality, yet inexpensive, speaker cable and connectors.

Regards,

Jon

Panasonic PT-AX200U

Da-Lite Model B 106" HCMW
Sony KDS-60A3000

VIP 3D Theater Plus Converter w/ MonsterVision Max 3D Eyewear
Onkyo TX-SR805 (v1.08 w/DSP & HDMI Updates)
Oppo BDP-103
Sony PS3 Slim (v4.50)
Toshiba HD-A35 (v4.0)
Polk Audio RTi8 / CSi5 / FXi3
Boston 595x Subwoofers

My DVD Collection

BasicBlak is offline  
Old 09-21-2007, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
stevec325's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Newtown, PA
Posts: 3,231
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BasicBlak View Post

Hey Steve... Damn impressive setup you got there indeed! I'm especially intrigued by that 12-ga Carol Cable you mentioned for $75/100'. How's it workin' for you? I'm always in the market for high quality, yet inexpensive, speaker cable and connectors.

Regards,

Jon

Hey Jon,

Thanks, I really love it. Worth every dollar. I'm sure we all feel the same way about our own HT setups.

The whole "wire and interconnect" thing is a real hot button for me. I get so pissed off at cable snobs. LOL. Carol has been in the wire biz for years. Many homes are wired with it. And they have been supplying wire to the electronic/electrical industry for years. But, there are many other just as good/better wire manufacturers, too. Almost any Home Depot, Lowe's, or mom & pop hardware or electrical supply stores will have very good cable, that is perfect for speaker wire.

Did you read that Roger Russell page on speaker wire? It is absolutely true. There is NO need to spend lots of money on esoteric cable for speakers. After all the testing, the net-net is... good quality 12 gauge wire is the answer.

As for connectors... monoprice has great banana plugs for about $2. Gold plated and excellent construction.

So, I just get my latest edition of Stereophile... in there is an review for a $800 power cord. The review lauded it as delivering sonic purity, and audio fidelity beyond that of anything he had experienced. A friggin power cord??????????? P. T. Barnum was right. There really is a sucker born every minute

-steve
My HT Setup - updated 12/25/2012
"...and all the science, I don't understand. It's just my job, five days a week."
stevec325 is offline  
Old 10-04-2007, 10:47 PM
Member
 
Woody B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: B.C. CANADA
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevec325 View Post

Pictures on the way...

Pioneer Elite PRO940-HD Plasma
Denon 2807 AVR
Definitive Technology Studio Monitor 350's (FL/FR)
Definitive Technology Pro Monitor 1000's (surround L/R and rear surround L/R)
Definitive Technology Pro Center 1000
Definitive Technology Pro Sub 1000
Toshiba HD-A2 HD-DVD Player
Oppo 981 SD-DVD Player (used for audio now that the A2 is in place)
Motorola DCT3416 DVR (Comcast)
Panamax M5400-EX Power Supply
All cables from Monoprice.com
Speaker Wire: 12 gauge Carol Cable ($75/spool/100')
No Monster anything!

All I can find for 12 guage is $27.55/ 100' spool

Woody B

B what you ask ??

BEEEEEEEEEE LOUD
Woody B is offline  
Old 10-04-2007, 10:53 PM
Member
 
Woody B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: B.C. CANADA
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevec325 View Post

Hey Jon,

Thanks, I really love it. Worth every dollar. I'm sure we all feel the same way about our own HT setups.

The whole "wire and interconnect" thing is a real hot button for me. I get so pissed off at cable snobs. LOL. Carol has been in the wire biz for years. Many homes are wired with it. And they have been supplying wire to the electronic/electrical industry for years. But, there are many other just as good/better wire manufacturers, too. Almost any Home Depot, Lowe's, or mom & pop hardware or electrical supply stores will have very good cable, that is perfect for speaker wire.

Did you read that Roger Russell page on speaker wire? It is absolutely true. There is NO need to spend lots of money on esoteric cable for speakers. After all the testing, the net-net is... good quality 12 gauge wire is the answer.

As for connectors... monoprice has great banana plugs for about $2. Gold plated and excellent construction.

So, I just get my latest edition of Stereophile... in there is an review for a $800 power cord. The review lauded it as delivering sonic purity, and audio fidelity beyond that of anything he had experienced. A friggin power cord??????????? P. T. Barnum was right. There really is a sucker born every minute

where did you pay $75.00/ 100' of 12 gauge speeker wire, monster

Woody B

B what you ask ??

BEEEEEEEEEE LOUD
Woody B is offline  
Old 10-05-2007, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
stevec325's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Newtown, PA
Posts: 3,231
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I bought my Carol Cable speaker wire at a local Home Depot store. You can find it in the electrical department, where they have the huge rolls of wire that they cut to length. In that isle, there were pre-cut rolls of all kinds of wire.

If there are no pre-cut rolls in your local store, I have to believe that they have it on the big rolls, where they'll measure it out & cut it for you.

-steve
My HT Setup - updated 12/25/2012
"...and all the science, I don't understand. It's just my job, five days a week."
stevec325 is offline  
Old 11-21-2007, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
stevec325's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Newtown, PA
Posts: 3,231
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I just found out that my daughter is getting me a digital camera for Christmas... pictures will be forthcoming

-steve
My HT Setup - updated 12/25/2012
"...and all the science, I don't understand. It's just my job, five days a week."
stevec325 is offline  
Old 11-21-2007, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
stevec325's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Newtown, PA
Posts: 3,231
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I wonder if I can talk her into giving it to me early

-steve
My HT Setup - updated 12/25/2012
"...and all the science, I don't understand. It's just my job, five days a week."
stevec325 is offline  
Old 12-18-2007, 12:48 AM
Member
 
Backdoc7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevec325 View Post

Pictures on the way...

Pioneer Elite PRO940-HD Plasma
Denon 2807 AVR
Definitive Technology Studio Monitor 350's (FL/FR)
Definitive Technology Pro Monitor 1000's (surround L/R and rear surround L/R)
Definitive Technology Pro Center 1000
Definitive Technology Pro Sub 1000
Toshiba HD-A2 HD-DVD Player
Oppo 981 SD-DVD Player (used for audio now that the A2 is in place)
Motorola DCT3416 DVR (Comcast)
Panamax M5400-EX Power Supply
All cables from Monoprice.com
Speaker Wire: 12 gauge Carol Cable ($75/spool/100')
No Monster anything!


steve, hows the pc1000 center sound with the sm350's? thinking of doing this with my bedroom system. i have the pc 100's left/right and pc100 center. was thinking of running those as surrounds and the sm350's as fronts. have you heard the c/l/r 2002? wonder how much better for HT it would sound with the 350's than the pc1000/pc100? thanks for any thoughts. Bill.
Backdoc7 is offline  
Old 12-30-2009, 08:16 AM
Member
 
rica5tully's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Steve,

That looks great! I was just looking at the Def Tech Procenter 1000. It sounded good in the store, but I'm having trouble finding pro reviews on it. I assume you like yours. Do you know of any pro reviews or any links? Are you still happy with it after using it for awhile?

My problem is that I have limited space for a center channel and that one does fit!

Thanks!
Eric
rica5tully is offline  
 
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off