My Home Theater Setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 39 Old 12-11-2007, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

Edit: December 2009 - several components have been added or upgraded. I've updated the listing but don't have new pictures yet.

Home Theater (Family Room):
Video Components: Audio Components: Remote Control: Cabling:
  • All DVRs and Blu-ray Disc Player connected to A/V Receiver via HDMI
  • DVD Recorder video connected to A/V Receiver via Component Video, audio connected to A/V Receiver via Digital Coax
  • CD Jukebox audio connected to A/V Receiver via Toslink Optical
  • nano connected to A/V receiver via Onkyo UP-A1 iPod Dock (not shown in this picture)
  • HDTV audio out connect to A/V Receiver via Toslink Optical
  • A/V Receiver monitor out connected to HDTV via HDMI
  • Slingbox SOLO connected to HR20-700, video via Component Video, audio via RCA stereo
  • All cabling except front speaker cables from monoprice.com
Stands/Mounts: Network: UPS: Lighting Control:
Master Bedroom: Remote Control: Mount:

Cabling:
  • DVR connected to A/V receiver and then to HDTV via HDMI, audio connected to A/V receiver via Toslink Optical
  • DVD player video connected to A/V receiver and then to HDTV via component video, audio connected to A/V receiver via Toslink Optical
  • All cabling from monoprice.com
Network:
MediaShare:
  • Home-built Desktop running Windows Vista Ultimate and Windows Media Player 11
  • HP Pavilion dv6000t SE Notebook running Vista Ultimate and Windows Media Player 11
  • HP Pavilion dv2312us Notebook running Vista Home Premium and Windows Media Player 11
Signal Acquisition: Cabling:
  • RG-6 Coax from Multiswitch, 3 pair to Family Room, 1 pair to Master Bedroom
  • RG-6 Coax from chimney-mounted Antenna to Family Room
History:
  • Home Theater since 1992
  • DirecTV since 1996
  • DirecTiVo since 1999
  • HD & OTA since 2001
  • HR10-250 since 10/2005
  • HR20-700 since 9/2006
  • HR20-100 since 10/2007
  • HR21-100 since 12/2007

Home Network.pdf 153.9345703125k . file
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 12-11-2007, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Here's my center speaker mount solution. The speaker was a challenge since it's pretty heavy at 23 pounds and it's 18" wide x 10" high x 10" deep. On my previous Mitsubish WS-65907 RP HDTV, it almost looked small sitting on top of the huge wooden box. The new RPTVs are very lightweight and you can't place anything on the frame. I had hoped to use a small TV wall mount, but there is no stud directly behind the center of the TV, so I had to use the shelf with the two standards mounted to the two studs to the left and right of the center. The goal was to make it look like the center speaker was actually sitting on top of the TV when viewed from the viewing position. You can see from the previous picture that this was a success.

I used elfa shelving, available at The Container Store. I used a couple of 25-1/4 wall mounted standards cut down to 14" so there are just two screw holes on each one, a couple of 18-1/2" shelf brackets, and a 20"x24"x3/4" white melamine shelf. Total cost was less than $50.
post #3 of 39 Old 12-11-2007, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Here's a closeup of the video components. A Sony KDS-60A3000 is at the top of the picture. On the second shelf, from left to right, a DirecTV HR10-250 DVR, Sony DVS-N77H DVD Player, and DirecTV HR20-700 DVR. There are two Targus ChillPad notebook coolers, one underneath the HR10 and one on top of the HR20. On the third shelf is a Sony RDR-GX300 DVD Recorder in the middle and an Antec MX-1 eSATA hard drive enclosure for the Western Digital SE16 Caviar 750GB SATA Hard Drive which is used for storage for the HR20-700 DVR.

The stand is a TechCraft PTV583B and is 58" wide and 19" high. The distance from the floor to the bottom of the TV screen is 27-1/2" and puts the center of the screen at just about eye level from the viewing position.

The HR10-250 is connected to the HDTV via Component Video. The HR20-700, HR21-100, and DVD Player are connected to the HDTV via HDMI. The DVD Recorder is connected to the A/V Receiver via Component Video.

(This picture needs updating! Not shown in this picture is a DirecTV HR21-100 DVR and a Slingbox SOLO which were added later. The DVD Player was replaced with a Blu-ray Disc Player.)

post #4 of 39 Old 12-11-2007, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Here's a closeup of the audio and network components. On top is an Audio-Technica AT-PL120 Turntable. On the second shelf is a Yamaha RX-V1500 A/V Receiver, (replaced in 12/09 with a Onkyo TX-SR707 A/V Receiver). On the third shelf is a Linksys EZXS88W Switch (since replaced by a Linksys EG008W 8-port Gigabit Switch) and a Linksys WAP54G Wireless Access Point. Next to these is a Apple nano 3g in the Apple Universal Dock (replaced with an Onkyo UP-A1 iPod Dock). On the bottom shelf is a Sony CDP-CX300 CD Player Jukebox. The rack is a Studio Tech HF-6 G/B Rack, which used to be six shelves but was reduced to four shelves when some of the components were moved to the TV stand. Next to the rack is the right B&W CDM 7SE speaker. To the right of the speaker on the wall you can see the twelve port Leviton double-gang keystone wall plate which has six satellite connections, an OTA antenna connection, a cable connection and a Cat 5e Ethernet jack.

The DVRs, Blu-ray Player, and HDTV are connected to the A/V Receiver via HDMI. The DVD Recorder is connected to the A/V receiver via component video cables and a digital coax cable. The iPod nano is connected to the A/V Receiver via a Onkyo UP-AP1 iPod Dock (not shown in this picture).

post #5 of 39 Old 12-11-2007, 08:54 PM

Liked: 10
Looks really good. I like what you have done.
post #6 of 39 Old 12-11-2007, 11:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

post #7 of 39 Old 12-12-2007, 03:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomF View Post

Here's my center speaker mount solution. The goal was to make it look like the center speaker was actually sitting on top of the TV when viewed from the viewing position. You can see from the previous picture that this was a success.

I used elfa shelving, available at The Container Store. I used a couple of 25-1/4 wall mounted standards cut down to 14" so there are just two screw holes on each one, a couple of 18-1/2" shelf brackets, and a 20"x24"x3/4" white melamine shelf. Total cost was less than $50.

wow, how much does that center channel weigh? Looks really good
post #8 of 39 Old 12-12-2007, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teckademic View Post

wow, how much does that center channel weigh? Looks really good

The center speaker was definitely a challenge! It weighs 23 lbs. and is 18" wide x 10" high x 10" deep. Previously it sat on top of my 2001 65" Mitsubishi Diamond RPTV which was a huge wooden box weighing over 200 lbs, so no problem there. I love the B&W speakers, but this CDM CSE center speaker, which is matched to the right and left CDM 7SEs, is just plain ugly.
post #9 of 39 Old 12-13-2007, 10:37 AM

Is that a new iPod Nano attached to a Yamaha Receiver ?
I have been considering that YDS-10 device for my Yamaha but heard it didn't handle the newer iPod Nano 3rd Generation.

How does it work ?
post #10 of 39 Old 12-13-2007, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbrd View Post

Is that a new iPod Nano attached to a Yamaha Receiver ?
I have been considering that YDS-10 device for my Yamaha but heard it didn't handle the newer iPod Nano 3rd Generation.

How does it work ?

The Yahama receiver is an RX-V1500, and I think that this is the generation before they had the iPod adapter. The iPod is a nano 3g, so it requires the new Apple Universal Dock and the new Component AV Cable to be able to pass video. The AV Cable has RGB component video and L/R audio connections which I connected to the Component In 1 video and the CD-R audio inputs. I don't think that the YDS-10 will work with the nano 3G and the new iPod Classic because Apple has restricted the video output to devices have have their new video chip. I don't believe there are any 3rd party devices yet that utilize the new chip, definitely not any older devices. The reviews at ipodlounge.com discuss this: Apple Universal Dock (2007) and Apple Component AV Cable.
post #11 of 39 Old 12-14-2007, 10:56 AM

Tom,
Thank you so much for the detailed reply. I see now that is actually an Apple adapter. I'll keep an eye out for a future Yamaha YDS-11? doc that works with my HTR-6090 and 3G iPod.
-----
Brad
post #12 of 39 Old 12-17-2007, 02:16 PM

Awesome setup! I am very jealous!

I was wondering if you could comment on the mediashare section of your specs. Specifically, are you running media on your tv through these computers? Do you use any digital media streamers? Programs you found to work the best? Any video cards hooked up to the tvs? File share servers? Any fancy setup behind the scenes? etc...

Thanks!

Paul
post #13 of 39 Old 12-18-2007, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Paul, thanks for the compliment! The media sharing is done with the three DirecTV HR2x DVRs. These now have a built-in media sharing capability when connected to a network and used with WMP 11 and/or Tiversity on a PC. The HR2xs can serve music, photos and video and yes, the photos and video are shown on the TV with the music being played through the optical connection to the receiver. In the bedroom the music plays through the TV speakers until I can find an inexpensive A/V receiver with HDMI inputs, as this is the only connection to the TV.

It's all really pretty simple and all I did was hard-wire the three HR2xs to my network. WMP 11 apparently runs as a service, so as long as the computer is on, the audio and video files on it are accessible. The Vista desktop is on all the time and the laptops are on pretty much anytime my wife and I are in the family room.

It may not be the best media sharing option available, and the interface is kind of slow, but it's nice to be able to show photos on the big screen when family and friends come over and to have some nice Smooth Jazz playing without commercials in the bedroom.
post #14 of 39 Old 12-20-2007, 01:53 PM

are you bi-wiring the center speaker?
post #15 of 39 Old 12-26-2007, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yes, all front speakers are bi-wired.
post #16 of 39 Old 01-07-2008, 10:29 PM

looks nice; what is bi-wiring? sorry somewhat a newbie to this stuff.
post #17 of 39 Old 01-08-2008, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for the compliment!

Here is an excellent explanation on Wikipedia complete with a diagram and picture that is far better than I could come up with.

Bi-wiring is usually found only on higher-end speakers. I bi-wired the B&W speakers because they are designed that way. I had to use a special bi-wire speaker cable that is split on the speaker end into four plugs rather than the normal two.

Edit: I've now incorporated this link in the original post.
post #18 of 39 Old 01-08-2008, 08:09 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the compliment!

Here is an excellent explanation on Wikipedia complete with a diagram and picture that is far better than I could come up with.

Bi-wiring is usually found only on higher-end speakers. I bi-wired the B&W speakers because they are designed that way. I had to use a special bi-wire speaker cable that is split on the speaker end into four plugs rather than the normal two.

cool; thanks for sharing that. Learn something new everyday
post #19 of 39 Old 01-17-2008, 09:29 PM

I love the shelf for the center speaker im going to have to do something like that
post #20 of 39 Old 05-23-2008, 06:56 AM

Hey Tom

Great setup...wow!

I have the same receiver (Yamaha rx-v1500) and a 50" Sony SXRD, which I both love. Can you give me suggestions on settings? I did the auto setup & it keeps labeling my fronts as small speakers... is that normal?

I'm running Paradigm Monitor 9s, Mini-monitor rears, Paradigm Center & Paradigm 12" sub. (I also have a Velodyne CHT-10 on my main level stereo, with Polks, on a seperate receiver)

I saw you bi-wired your fronts and I'll most likely do that too.

My room is approx. 18'x19'

I find I can't take advantage of all the nice features of my receiver, because frankly it's kind of overwhelming.

thanks for any advice

cheers

Denis
post #21 of 39 Old 05-23-2008, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Very nice setup Tom. I like it a lot. How do the B&W's sound with the Yamaha? Never heard of this combination so was wondering about that.

My HT Setup
My Blu-Rays
PSN Id:blitz500

post #22 of 39 Old 05-28-2008, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sennac5 View Post

Hey Tom

Great setup...wow!

I have the same receiver (Yamaha rx-v1500) and a 50" Sony SXRD, which I both love. Can you give me suggestions on settings? I did the auto setup & it keeps labeling my fronts as small speakers... is that normal?

I'm running Paradigm Monitor 9s, Mini-monitor rears, Paradigm Center & Paradigm 12" sub. (I also have a Velodyne CHT-10 on my main level stereo, with Polks, on a seperate receiver)

I saw you bi-wired your fronts and I'll most likely do that too.

My room is approx. 18'x19'

I find I can't take advantage of all the nice features of my receiver, because frankly it's kind of overwhelming.

thanks for any advice

cheers

Denis

Denis, since you also PM-ed me, I answered your questions with a lengthy PM reply.
post #23 of 39 Old 05-28-2008, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daman S View Post

Very nice setup Tom. I like it a lot. How do the B&W's sound with the Yamaha? Never heard of this combination so was wondering about that.

I think they sound great! The Yamaha has more than enough power to really push them.
post #24 of 39 Old 05-28-2008, 04:47 PM

sorry if this is a stupid question, but why do you have 3 directv boxes hooked up to one television?

Samsung HL-67A750A1F | Pioneer VSX-1121-K | Energy Take Classic 5.0 | BIC America F12 | Xbox 360 Windows Media Center 7 | Belkin PureAV PF30
post #25 of 39 Old 05-29-2008, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHarrington View Post

sorry if this is a stupid question, but why do you have 3 directv boxes hooked up to one television?

Two words: conflicts and redundancy.

Ever had three or even four programs that you want to watch be on at the same time? Ever had a couple of programs run from 9:00 PM to 10:01 PM or 10:02 PM, but there's two other programs that you want to watch that start at 10:00 PM? We had these types of situations this past season from 9:00 PM to 11:00 PM on Thursdays. Multiple tuners solve that problem.

Also, the DirecTV HR2x series DVRs have been a lot less reliable than the older TiVo HR10-250 HD DVR, so that DVR is used mostly for redundancy. It will probably be retired when DirecTV moves all of their HD programming to MPEG-4, which the HR10-250 can't receive. At that point, the only HD it will be able to receive will be OTA broadcasts from the local ABC and CBS stations.

I was also a beta tester for DirecTV for the HR21-100 so that DVR didn't cost me anything.
post #26 of 39 Old 05-29-2008, 03:45 PM

Quote:

Two words: conflicts and redundancy.

Ever had three or even four programs that you want to watch be on at the same time? Ever had a couple of programs run from 9:00 PM to 10:01 PM or 10:02 PM, but there's two other programs that you want to watch that start at 10:00 PM? We had these types of situations this past season from 9:00 PM to 11:00 PM on Thursdays. Multiple tuners solve that problem.

Also, the DirecTV HR2x series DVRs have been a lot less reliable than the older TiVo HR10-250 HD DVR, so that DVR is used mostly for redundancy. It will probably be retired when DirecTV moves all of their HD programming to MPEG-4, which the HR10-250 can't receive. At that point, the only HD it will be able to receive will be OTA broadcasts from the local ABC and CBS stations.

I was also a beta tester for DirecTV for the HR21-100 so that DVR didn't cost me anything.

But you still have to pay Directv the 5 dollar fee for every extra box though right? That sounds costly. Thanks for the reply though.
I'm looking into getting an HR-21 so I can get VOD.

Samsung HL-67A750A1F | Pioneer VSX-1121-K | Energy Take Classic 5.0 | BIC America F12 | Xbox 360 Windows Media Center 7 | Belkin PureAV PF30
post #27 of 39 Old 08-27-2008, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd03blown View Post

looks nice; what is bi-wiring? sorry somewhat a newbie to this stuff.

Sounds like a gimmick, as there's no empirical evidence to support that there's any improvement in quality.

Heh heh - from Wikipedia:

Bi-wiring is a means of connecting a loudspeaker to an audio amplifier, primarily used in Hi-fi equipment. Normally, a single cord (two conductors) runs from the amplifier output to the terminals at the loudspeaker housing. From this point, connections are made to the loudspeaker elements - most often through crossover networks. In bi-wiring, two cords are run from the amplifier output to the speaker cabinet - one to the high frequency or tweeter element and one to the low frequency element (through their respective crossover networks). It has been suggested that this would somehow improve sound quality; however, this has not been proved by measurements or properly conducted listening tests. From an electrical point of view, the two ways of making connections are, in principle, equivalent. This has led some to sarcastically refer to the practice as "buy-wiring", implying it is nothing more than a marketing gimmick for expensive speaker wire.

-------------------------
Business innovation delivered.
http://www.actionreaction.net
post #28 of 39 Old 08-27-2008, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
doesnt the sub rattle the flowers?

Xbox360 / PS3 / Failed HDM Supporter
I have no idea what you are referring to
Gamertag: antwon412
(A/V)Ignorance is Bliss -------- sweet, cheap bliss
post #29 of 39 Old 09-05-2008, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antwon412 View Post

doesnt the sub rattle the flowers?

The vibrations stimulate the roots, promoting new growth
post #30 of 39 Old 10-23-2008, 03:20 PM

Tom, nice setup. Like what you did with the center channel. I have a Mitsu DLP, and will be moving my center channel speaker as you did.

Jim
Reply What's Your System Configuration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page