AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldgibson76 View Post

Hello croseiv!

Still climbing I see! Nice to see the ULTRA's and the system front and center again.

When I saw your thread at the top of the listing, I said to myself with excitement, "He's got the Emotiva XPA-3!"
Well, no XPA-3 yet, but the system still looks strong!

Dude, when you stated that you only had the volume at -17dB, I decided to listen to "Cherish the Day" by Sade at -17dB!

Croseiv, with my little RSW10, I was literally moving the house. I can't even imagine what -17dB with the Ultra's where doing to your home. No wonder the wife wanted your head on a stick!
Have you ever had your system at reference level or 0 dB?!

Regards.

Hi there ld!

Sorry no Emo amp yet. That may have to wait a little while as I need to get a new trimmer for my lawn. I may get the new amp this Summer now. Honestly, I'm quite pleased with how the set up sounds at present.

So yeah, I meant -17dB below reference level. After thinking about it, I know stuff was shaking in the bath area... where she was at the time. She probably thought the walls were coming down.... The loudest I've had the Ultras is about -5 below reference, very breifly. Talk about sick! Serious SPL (116-118 dB) on some bass heavy electronica. No one was around at the time, only me. The drivers were like sledgehammers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 196 Old 05-01-2009, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So, I have decided on getting the XPA-5! I'll put my order in next week. I was considering the Odyssey HT-3, but the XPA-5 really seems to offer much more bang for the buck. I'll admitt I'm intimidated by its 70 lbs of heft though...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #93 of 196 Old 05-01-2009, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by croseiv View Post

So, I have decided on getting the XPA-5! I'll put my order in next week. I was considering the Odyssey HT-3, but the XPA-5 really seems to offer much more bang for the buck. I'll admitt I'm intimidated by its 70 lbs of heft though...

Hello Croseiv.

Ok. You've decided to move forward and buy the XPA-5. Great! Now, where are ya gonna put it!?! Are you saying bye-bye to the turntable?!

Regards.

"Chance favors only the prepared mind. "Louis Pasteur"

ldgibson76

post #94 of 196 Old 05-02-2009, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hello Croseiv.

Ok. You've decided to move forward and buy the XPA-5. Great! Now, where are ya gonna put it!?! Are you saying bye-bye to the turntable?!

Regards.

Yeah. The turn table's getting evicted. I've not been using it as much as I used too, so I'll probably be selling it....

post #95 of 196 Old 05-04-2009, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Fantastic setup Croseiv, i absolutely love the Dual Ultra's and the Polks look gorgeous with the contrasting wooden stands. I own a single Ultra in rosenut and hope to add another when i can. Is there a benefit to be gained from stacking them against placing them both on the opposite sides of room.

PSN Id:blitz500

post #96 of 196 Old 05-06-2009, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daman S View Post

Fantastic setup Croseiv, i absolutely love the Dual Ultra's and the Polks look gorgeous with the contrasting wooden stands. I own a single Ultra in rosenut and hope to add another when i can. Is there a benefit to be gained from stacking them against placing them both on the opposite sides of room.

Wow! Thanks so much for the kind words Daman S! For me the benefit from stacking the Ultras is the extra SPL. I really like them. Soon you'll see a XPA-5 in the rack.

post #97 of 196 Old 05-07-2009, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wow! Thanks so much for the kind words Daman S! For me the benefit from stacking the Ultras is the extra SPL. I really like them. Soon you'll see a XPA-5 in the rack.

Sweet! I have read really good things about the Emotiva's though i've never heard one. I'm sure the Polks would love the extra juice

I love the Ultra but have been hearing really good things about the Submersive. So a year or two down the line i'm wondering if i should go for one submersive(and sell the ultra) or just get one more Ultra.

PSN Id:blitz500

post #98 of 196 Old 05-09-2009, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just placed my order with Emotiva for a XPA-5 and an ERM 6.2 center as an upgrade over my current CSi30. Man I'm pumped....
Now for the waiting...

post #99 of 196 Old 05-10-2009, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Cleared out the space in the AV cabinet for the XPA-5 this morning by removing the retractable table behind the closed door where the TT used to reside. Don't know If I'm going to sell the turn table or not.

post #100 of 196 Old 05-12-2009, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
You are going to love the extra amplification. I was amazed after I bought my Outlaw amp the difference in the sounds of my speakers. I hope your old RCA rear surrounds can handle the extra oomph.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------

post #101 of 196 Old 05-12-2009, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post

You are going to love the extra amplification. I was amazed after I bought my Outlaw amp the difference in the sounds of my speakers. I hope your old RCA rear surrounds can handle the extra oomph.

Yeah. Actually, for now I'll be running the surrounds off of the AVR. I think the Emo amp might be a little too much for them. I'm going to run the XPA-5 in 3ch mode for the time being (getting a little more juice to the LCR up front).

post #102 of 196 Old 05-13-2009, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here's a few shots of the new gear received from Emotiva yesterday:

So far I'm blown away with XPA-5s performance!

post #103 of 196 Old 05-13-2009, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Lookin sharp!
post #104 of 196 Old 05-14-2009, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanaticalism View Post

Lookin sharp!

Thank you very much Fanaticalism! I'm very pleased with the sound. I thought the Pioneer was doing an adequate job powering the mains, but I've come to realise what I was missing now that I've added the XPA-5 amp. I'll tell you that the extra power seems to have really helped get rid of the harshness I was experiencing the the 1015. I suspect it was clipping the signal a bit now that I've had a taste of 250 wpc. The mids are much punchier and the highs are more airy. Some of that is simply from getting rid of the CSi30 and using the ERM-6.2 as a center channel speaker. But the Polks are now playing at their best with the new amp. I'm surprised at the over all improvement really. The polks are taking the extra juice very, very well. It's like a new system.

post #105 of 196 Old 05-16-2009, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here's a shot of the wire management for my set up. It's somewhat organized, but could be improved. Running 16 ga. speakerwire for now. Eventually I want to get some better interconnects. Running radioshack premium RCA cables (pretty decent actually). I at least have it so no interconnects or speaker wires are touching the power cables.

post #106 of 196 Old 05-18-2009, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

A couple of comparison shots of my old versus new configurations. Very happy with the latest set-up (bottom). That ERM-6.2 monitor (center channel), replacing the Polk Audio CSi30, is one heck of a little speaker.

post #107 of 196 Old 05-19-2009, 07:02 AM

I have the same TV, do you have any IR issues with the set?

PS3 Gamer Tag: WastedSauce
360 Gamer Tag: Thrillhelm
post #108 of 196 Old 05-19-2009, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by overwilhelmed View Post

I have the same TV, do you have any IR issues with the set?

No problems. I am aware that plasma sets in general can have this, so I watch in a manner that witll minimize the potential anyway. I've had very good results and have been pleased with the display.

post #109 of 196 Old 05-19-2009, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here's a shot of the wire management for my set up. It's somewhat organized, but could be improved. Running 16 ga. speakerwire for now. Eventually I want to get some better interconnects. Running radioshack premium RCA cables (pretty decent actually). I at least have it so no interconnects or speaker wires are touching the power cables.

Helol Croseiv.

I tried to restrain myself from commenting on the cable management. But I can't help myself! You know I'm a cable management freak! It's not bad but as you said, it could be better. But that's just my obsessive disorder talking!
Now, about the Emotiva center channel. You say that the new center out performs the Polk Audio CSi30 center. Ok, I'll work with you. Now, did you try the Polk center with the Emotiva XPA-5? And if you did, was there an improvement in the performance/response of the CSi30? Due to the fact that your RTi7's woke up, I would think that the Polk center would also benefit from the increased horsepower. And if that's the case, does the ERM-6.2 really outperform the CSi30 using the XPA-5?

Regards.

ldgibson76

post #110 of 196 Old 05-19-2009, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Helol Croseiv.

Now, about the Emotiva center channel. You say that the new center out performs the Polk Audio CSi30 center. Ok, I'll work with you. Now, did you try the Polk center with the Emotiva XPA-5? And if you did, was there an improvement in the performance/response of the CSi30? Due to the fact that your RTi7's woke up, I would think that the Polk center would also benefit from the increased horsepower. And if that's the case, does the ERM-6.2 really outperform the CSi30 using the XPA-5?

Regards.

Yes, I first listened to the CSi30, then put the 6.2 in place and level matched. Huge difference in performance. Mainly with the dispersion and off axis performance (heavily favoring the ERM 6.2). No contest off axis. I also compared the two alone with no mains. THe CSi30 sounded boxey to me with less dispersion and worse off axis performance, but the mids were better than with the 1015 alone. I wrote a little reveiw over at AH. Man, there is a large difference in cross-over designs/quality as well (again favoring the ERM 6.2). Very pleased with the 6.2. I'll be selling the CSi30. Still like the RT7s though, so they'll be in the system for a while longer. After listening to the 6.2 for a week I find myself wondering about the 8.3s.

I should add that I listened to each center "only" (plus surrounds) with no sub, then brought the RT7s in, and then the subs. Interesting experience really. Man the subs really add to the sound.

post #111 of 196 Old 06-04-2009, 04:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Some shots after upgrading from 16 ga. to 12 ga. speaker wire. You know, I swear it sounds better with the newer 12 ga. wire..

post #112 of 196 Old 06-04-2009, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, I had some free time today, so I made some simple frames for my panels. Actually, I'm pretty pleased with the look. Here's a few pics...

post #113 of 196 Old 06-05-2009, 10:35 AM

Your center speaker appears to be over hanging your stand, but is the center also sitting on something?
post #114 of 196 Old 06-05-2009, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe741 View Post

Your center speaker appears to be over hanging your stand, but is the center also sitting on something?

Hi Joe741-

Thanks for lookng. Yes the center does overhang the stand a bit. But it is resitng on the soft part of the grille for now, which is underneath the speaker.

post #115 of 196 Old 06-16-2009, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #116 of 196 Old 06-24-2009, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Hello Croseiv.

The system and the room is looking better than ever.
I especially like the left angle image showing the panel covering the fireplace.
An ingenious idea indeed.

I do have a question for you regarding your Sony BDP-S550 bluray player.
How has it performed for you? The reason I ask is because I'm purchasing a new bluray player this Friday. I've narrowed it down to 3 players: Sony BDP-S550 $314.00; Pioneer BDP-51FD $269.99 and the Samsung BD-P2550 $268.00.
All NIB. All discontinued. All very good to great performers for the money!

Here's my take on all three:

Sony BDP-S550.
Pros:
-From what I've read, one of the most reliable players available.
-High quality 7.1 audio performance
-Decodes "ALL" hi-rez audio formats and can send via PCM or Bitstream
-Good up-scaling performance for standard DVD's.
-Bonus View (PIP)
-1GB flash drive and AVCHD compatibility.

Cons (subjective obviously):
-Blue front panel (like it or hate it)
-Still some playback issues with selected newer movies (common with all bluray players).
-Sony arrogance!

Pioneer BDP-51FD.
Pros:
-Excellent Wolfson audio DAC's, audiophile-like audio performance
-Bonus View (PIP)
-Excellent up-scaling performance for std DVD's.
-Substantial form factor (12lbs)/tall profile (subjective).
-With new firmware update, can now decode DTS-HD/MA.
-7.1 audio is top notch.

Cons:
-Very slow loading times
-multiple firmware updates for bluray movie playback.
-long intervals when changing layers on some standard dvd's.
-Even with firmware updates, some owners still having issues.
-Questionable Pioneer customer service.

Samsung BD-P2550.
Pros:
-HQV processor offers best performance when upscaling std DVD's
-Netflix and Pandora capable
-Wireless ready
-Decent load times
-7.1 analog audio capable
-My TV is a Samsung!

Cons:
-some have reported recent firmware updates has caused issues
-Average 7.1 audio performance
-7.1 audio is only for Dolby True HD
-Still does not decode DTS-HD/MA can only bitstream (WTF!?!)
-Often reported Samsung substandard customer service.

Croseiv, bottom line is all of them are decent products, especially for the money. I know you adore your S550, but I have to ask, have you eperienced any playback issues like lip-sync or freeze ups on any movies and if so, did it require a firmware update(s)?

Thanks for reading the mini-novel. I ask you because I value your perspective on AV gear and we've been acquainted on the different forums for nearly 3 years! Anyone that can tolerate me for that long is alright with me!

BTW, anyone else reading this post, your opinions are also welcomed. Please chime in or better yet post your response in my thread, "My Audio/Video Expereince". http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1004179

Regards.

ldgibson76

post #117 of 196 Old 06-25-2009, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So, I have had not a single problem with the BDP-S550! It has played flawlessly every disk I have played in it so far. I do recommend it. However, there are newer models out now. I'd have to put the new Oppo player very high on my list of universal players....

post #118 of 196 Old 06-25-2009, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi there ld! I must admit I am very impressed at how clean the back side of your gear is. I mean it looks brand new, no dust at all.

Hey Croseiv.

Thanks for the acknowledgement. I try to keep it clean back there. I'm sort of a neat freak. Either that or I'm in complete denial of my OCD!
And thank you for your input regarding the bluray player selection. The safe bet is the S550. It seems that it has the least amount of issues and/or complaints. I just concerned about the upconversion/upscaling performance of standard DVD's being that I have over 600, and there's no way I will replace them with blu ray anytime soon.

During the viewing of Kung-fu Panda, which scene was the most explosive, when the Tai Lung escaped from the prison or when Po excuted the Wuxi Finger hold on Tai Lung?!

It was a fun movie.

Regards.

ldgibson76

post #119 of 196 Old 06-25-2009, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey Croseiv.

Thanks for the acknowledgement. I try to keep it clean back there. I'm sort of a neat freak. Either that or I'm in complete denial of my OCD!
And thank you for your input regarding the bluray player selection. The safe bet is the S550. It seems that it has the least amount of issues and/or complaints. I just concerned about the upconversion/upscaling performance of standard DVD's being that I have over 600, and there's no way I will replace them with blu ray anytime soon.

During the viewing of Kung-fu Panda, which scene was the most explosive, when the Tai Lung escaped from the prison or when Po excuted the Wuxi Finger hold on Tai Lung?!

It was a fun movie.

Regards.

I did want to add one other thing I've found with the BDP-s550. It actually played several SD-DVDs that would not play certain parts when played on the Philips DVD player due to surface scratches on the disks.. Just based on that alone I was thrilled! SD-DVD up scaling is excellent IMO. Lord Of The Rings is just awesome...

As for KFP, there are two really powerful LFE scenes that have the most energy at around 25-26 Hz. One is when Tai Lung falls out of the sky after fighting the Furious 5 on the bridge (middle of the movie). Then there's the "Skidoosh" scene. Both scenes are great!

post #120 of 196 Old 07-14-2009, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hello Croseiv!

I'm on a roll today! Did you honestly think I was going to let your system and thread fade to the 2nd page of this WYSC section?! You are My Boy!
Never that! Your system should always be front and center. Your system is a perfect example of what one can do with legacy equipment and turn your system into one of the better ones on the site and one of the most admired on several sites!

And let's not forget, you have set the standard for the twin Ultra's!

Regards.

ldgibson76

Reply What's Your System Configuration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page