What would you like to see reviewed? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 37 Old 09-07-2013, 03:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
One request: for PS3 games that support it, could you also add review of the visual quality of the game when playing in 3D?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 Old 09-07-2013, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 1330
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsd107 View Post

One request: for PS3 games that support it, could you also add review of the visual quality of the game when playing in 3D?

Thanks!

Yes, definitely. I'm a big proponent of 3D gaming, I try and highlight good examples of it every time I can.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #33 of 37 Old 09-13-2013, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Or should we add some smaller indie games to the mix, even though they can't compete with the production values of retail games?
Let us know your thoughts.

/sarcasm Riiiight, because Minecraft sold 12 million copies, Path of Exile raised 2 million and is darn-good FREE Diablo 2 spiritual successor, Castle Crashers , Limbo, Trine, and World of Goo were all duds. And lets's ignore the fact that there are more people playing Counter-Strike then all the other first person shooters combined which started off as a free MOD. I guess LoL (League of Legends) and DOTA were indie "failures" too and can't "compete with the production values of retail games". Please.

Will all due respect you do you even PLAY _any_ indie games?!?! Some Indy games are _just_ as good as so-called AAA titles. Yes a lot of indie games are total garbage. However, there are a FEW GEMS such as the ones named above that demonstrate:

a) The graphics quality is on PAR with commercial games (Path of Exile's real-time shadows are extremely well done),
b) The gameplay is just as good, if not better, then many "AAA" games that repeat the same gameplay year after year.

Please stop tossing the baby out with the bath water.

> What about exclusive PC games that don't even have controller support, like Diablo?

MEMO: Gamers don't care what platform FUN games are on! They only care about ONE thing:

Is the game fun?

People have whining about input & controller choices for ages. Mouse. Keyboard. Gamepad. Joystick. Only trolls make excuses about poor input devices and constantly argue over the which "controller" is better. (Freelancer showed us that Space games _could_ beautifully use a mouse instead of a joystick.) While the gamepad is extremely poor compared to mouse+keyboard it is "good enough". I seriously doubt you will even find that many PC players complaining about lack of gamepad support. Yeah, it would be NICE if game developers realized that not everyone plays with mouse+keyboard and the gamepad is a more "relaxed" control but sadly they have these things called a "Schedule" to stick to. If your favorite game doesn't support gamepad, or joystick input, petition the game developer to add support in a patch. Better yet, start a POLL, so we can _actually_ see hard data for how under-represented this is.

Lastly, considering that fact that ALL console games are developed on PCs it is extremely short-sighted to ignore "PC" and "Indie" games just because they don't fit somebody's preconceived idea of a "game" is supposed to be. Gamers just want to play.

Disgrunted ex-PC and Console game developer, tired of PC games constantly getting the "shaft" from console fanbois.
Michael

--
Only cowards use censorship

Edit: Added noted about Freelancer and Mouse.

"Know Thyself" - The Beginning of All Wisdom
post #34 of 37 Old 09-13-2013, 02:17 PM

Quote:

What about exclusive PC games that don't even have controller support, like Diablo?

Diablo 1 was available on the PSX (Playstation 1)
Diablo 3 is available on PS3 & Xbox360.

Are you referring to Diablo 2 ???

post #35 of 37 Old 09-13-2013, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

You should take a look at the reviews already posted...

BTW, which games did you work on?

post #36 of 37 Old 09-13-2013, 03:45 PM

Quote:

You should take a look at the reviews already posted...

This incorrect statement needs to be fixed: "What about exclusive PC games that don't even have native controller support, like Diablo 3?"

Perfect example of just one of many reasons why PCs continue to remain popular. Fan-made patches that compensate for the developer's lack of time, or motivation.
http://pinnaclegameprofiler.com/pc-controller-support/alpha-gamepad-joystick/xbox-360-ps3-psx-etc/diablo-iii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard 
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7646725025#2
14/06/2013
We currently have no plans to support controllers for the PC version, which was designed with mouse and keyboard in mind. The same logic applies to the console: The PS3 & Xbox 360 version of Diablo III was specifically tailored to be played with a controller and does not support mouse and keyboard controls.

Quote:

BTW, which games did you work on?

You really had to go there didn't you. If you really think it makes a difference ...

1. Need For Speed (PS1) UI, bootstrapping the port from PC to PS1, memorycard
2. Majesty (PC) general bug fixing, random number generator
3. Risk (PS2) realtime shadows, everything to do with SPU + IOP which is the Audio and CD ROM sub-systems, optimizations (such as loading, streaming), gamepad, memorycard
4. Star Trek (PC) (cancelled) rendering & UI
5. Disney Princess (Wii) ported the entire engine to the Wii in 2 very-long months, implemented OpenGL on the Wii, data piple taking "raw" data from 3D Studio Max to "cooked" native Wii Big-Endian data
6. Disney Princess (PS2) realtime projected shadows, multi-texture (multipass) support, "Glow" support, New Lighting system, Skinning fixes and optimization (Skeleton Animation), Localization, misc. UI.
7. George of the Jungle (PS2 & Wii) - rendering fixes
8. WonderWorld (DS) - general gameplay, UI, Optimizations (loading, rendering, textures, palette), memorycard, data pipeline
9. Our House (DS) - general gameplay, UI, data pipeline
10. Various C++ & Assembly technical support for PS3 developers (such as Portal 2 for Valve, Unreal Engine for Epic, etc.)

I've been an avid gamer and programmer since the early '80s. I give free UI & Game Design consultation on the side when not gaming, programming, researching graphics such as CUDA on my GTX Titan or working working on my book "Fundamental Properties of Game Design" (When you work with some extremely talented people you pick up the fundamentals of _what_ makes for good and bad game design. The "tech" is largely irrelevant as Minecraft proved.)

I enjoy ALL games:

* PC.
* Console
* Mobile.

Commercial and Indie. The Indies are mostly the only ones doing innovate game play these days. (i.e. Path of Exile -- no gold. items are currency.)

HENCE, the reason I bitch about some pseudo-"gaming" sites that ignores 2/3s of the market. Mobile is becoming bigger then Console. See: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/196062/Epics_Sweeney_Studios_need_to_react_to_the_changing_industry_to_survive.php )

Case in point: Two of the BEST games on iOS which put a lot of PC & console games to (graphical) shame (!) are:

* The Room
* Infinity Blade (1, 2 or 3)

The "shaders" are world class. 11/10 graphical quality, as in, pushing the technical boundaries of what is possible on Mobile.

Both are graphically and gameplay wise VERY good. (And no, I'm going to kvitch that there is no mobile gaming forum on AVS.)

Your gaming credentials are? smile.gif

Edit: Clarified the errors in the original statement.
Edit 2: Added Commercial and Indie comment.
Edit 3: Added details on Star Trek

post #37 of 37 Old 09-13-2013, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I'm not challenging you, I don't even disagree with you (for the most part.) AVS is primarily a home theater focused site with no real history of gaming coverage, so I started with the assumption that anything but AAA console releases might be not be applicable to our audience. I'm equal opportunity, my motivation in posting this was to find out how widely tastes varied, and I was pleased to see PC was a big part of it. We did run a poll a few weeks ago as well, that drove the point home. Without that validation, I'd never have posted a review of something like The Swapper.

So don't worry, you're preaching to the choir. smile.gif

Reply Official AVS Video Game Reviews

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page