What would you like to see reviewed? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 37 Old 08-06-2013, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 1393
Since this is a fairly new addition to the site, I'm looking to find out what members think about where we should take it from here. Right now we're trying to go through a backlog of significant releases this year to flesh out the section a bit, but going forward we hope to cover games during their release window.

For now, are there any recent games in particular that you'd like to see reviewed?

And going forward, what would you like to see us focus on? Just triple AAA console releases? Or should we add some smaller indie games to the mix, even though they can't compete with the production values of retail games? What about exclusive PC games that don't even have controller support, like Diablo?

Let us know your thoughts.
stickboy2k likes this.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 08-06-2013, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Tomb Raider could be a good one.

I ALMOST bought on Steam Summer Sale but decided to skip it.

I would also like to see some reviews of the free-to-play games that are in the works like:

Firefall
Path of Exile(I have been told it is better than Diablo 3)
Dota 2(just came out of beta-similar to League of Legends)

If at all possible as the library of reviews grow I think it would be nice to see some comparisons between games as well like the ones mentioned above.

Trying to enjoy the simple things in life.

Steam: madbrayniak

post #3 of 37 Old 08-06-2013, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Funny you should mention Tomb Raider...it's actually next in line, should be up in a few days.

post #4 of 37 Old 08-07-2013, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Awsome.

I was a pretty big fan of the Uncharted Series but they seemed, at times, to be a little too obvious as to where to go next. Tomb Raider(the old ones) had a little more mystery to them.

I realized another good one to review would be the Half Life 1 remake that is free called Black Mesa.

It is basically HL1 remade with the Source engine.

post #5 of 37 Old 08-07-2013, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Hard call. Still, I don't think we should tick to just "Story AAA releases". Games are still games after all, and even if one is subtle to non-existent on story / characterization, it still might be a technical and gameplay masterpiece. A game like Dark Souls / Demons Souls comes to mind, where the narrative is told in snippets of lore, and characterization not there; but ended up being one of the best games this generation pure gameplay wise IMO.

I’d say Indys should be included, especially after playing Flower / Journey. Just keep it to sleeper hits, and the wildly praised ones.
post #6 of 37 Old 08-07-2013, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Hard call. Still, I don't think we should tick to just "Story AAA releases". Games are still games after all, and even if one is subtle to non-existent on story / characterization, it still might be a technical and gameplay masterpiece. A game like Dark Souls / Demons Souls comes to mind, where the narrative is told in snippets of lore, and characterization not there; but ended up being one of the best games this generation pure gameplay wise IMO.

I’d say Indys should be included, especially after playing Flower / Journey. Just keep it to sleeper hits, and the wildly praised ones.

Yeah, it's definitely going to be much more than story based games, but those tend to be the ones that push the A/V, and that's a big focus here.

For my own part, I'm unlikely to review games that simply don't interest me. Although my interests are pretty broad, I doubt you'll see any sports or JRPG reviews from me. There will be other contributors that may have different interests.

Something like journey would definitely be on my list though.

post #7 of 37 Old 08-07-2013, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimeran View Post

Awsome.

I was a pretty big fan of the Uncharted Series but they seemed, at times, to be a little too obvious as to where to go next. Tomb Raider(the old ones) had a little more mystery to them.

I realized another good one to review would be the Half Life 1 remake that is free called Black Mesa.

It is basically HL1 remade with the Source engine.

The latest Tomb Raider is very linear for most of the game. Not quite as linear as Uncharted games as a few spots have a little exploring. Overall though it very much feels like an Uncharted clone gone a little more R rated/dark and gory. The game shift to the slightly explorish feel early to straigh up action where I'm at for the last few chapters.
post #8 of 37 Old 08-07-2013, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 442
First, I have to applaud this initiative. I never found any game review that would focus on the audio and video aspect of a game before, and I plan to use my HT setup to play console and PC games more and more.

Of course I feel that reviews should focus on games that offers something in that regard. I'm a huge fan of smaller indie games, but there would be no point in reviewing The Organ Trail here for example. But even games with a retro look can offer plenty of visuals and be a feast audio-wise -- Superbrothers' Sword & Sworcery LP comes to mind.

I hope you won't only stick to console games or to AAA games though. Reviewing older games is also something that I'd like.

post #9 of 37 Old 08-09-2013, 01:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Hey, bd2003!

So glad to see avs doing inciteful game reviews like this!

As far as games I would like to see reviewed, well, I am playing Skyrim now so I don't care or have time for any other games. smile.gif

One idea I just had though reading other comments in this thread.

Some older games played on newer hardware. For example UT2004 or HL 2 great games, but are the sound and graphics still good enough to make them interesting to the gear nerds here at AVS?

I am also a PC gamer primarily so I appreciate the multiplatform approach.

Here's one of my all time favorites, Hot Shots Golf on the PS3. Awesome game.

Thanks! Look forward to reading future reviews!
post #10 of 37 Old 08-09-2013, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickboy2k View Post

Hey, bd2003!

So glad to see avs doing inciteful game reviews like this!

As far as games I would like to see reviewed, well, I am playing Skyrim now so I don't care or have time for any other games. smile.gif

One idea I just had though reading other comments in this thread.

Some older games played on newer hardware. For example UT2004 or HL 2 great games, but are the sound and graphics still good enough to make them interesting to the gear nerds here at AVS?

I am also a PC gamer primarily so I appreciate the multiplatform approach.

Here's one of my all time favorites, Hot Shots Golf on the PS3. Awesome game.

Thanks! Look forward to reading future reviews!

I dunno if I would do a full blown review of quake at this point...but just over the weekend I picked up the whole series, and downloaded the most popular mod packs (epsilon for q1, berserker for q2)....not only do the games then look pretty amazing, but they still play extremely well.

post #11 of 37 Old 08-09-2013, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

I am starting the Half Life series all over again once I can find a place that looks reputable to download Black Mesa, the mod that is HL1 remade with the Source engine...

I will gladly post my impressions of it when I am done.

Even though I have not played that yet, I did pick up HL2, Ep1, Ep2, and Lost Coast on Summer Sale and tried out HL2 the other day running on my current rig. So far it runs much better than the first time I played through HL2 which was YEARS ago but I have all the graphics maxed out and I will also report on some of the graphics mods for the game.

Once I can get some time in with Firefall I will also report back.

I have no intentions of taking away any reviewing from bd as I simply don't have the time nor grammar to write such nice reviews but I would like to contribute info based on games that many will probably over look as they are not AAA titles.

post #12 of 37 Old 08-11-2013, 02:16 AM

Liked: 20
If you guys need a triple-monitor gaming correspondant, I'm here for you! biggrin.gifFor example.

WANTED: 16:10 120Hz monitors for triple surround gaming/Google Earth browsing.

post #13 of 37 Old 08-11-2013, 10:27 AM

Liked: 832
Couple of sleeper hit (IMO) as suggestions:

Brütal Legend
Alice: Madness Returns

A totally underrated open world game, and a totally underrated platformer. The former having an awesome soundtrack that will give your speakers a workout, the later eaking out a lot of power from the aging U3 engine to bring a macabre Wonderland to life. Bonus, both are bargain bin titles by now and were pretty fun for what they were.

Also a quick suggestion; maybe throw 3-5 images representative of gameplay/review from the top platform used at the bottom? Love reading the reviews, but a few images representative of the review might better connect the ideas presented to the reader.
post #14 of 37 Old 08-11-2013, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I'm always interested in true multiplayer local games, especially collaborative, and especially family-friendly ones.
post #15 of 37 Old 08-11-2013, 08:23 PM

Liked: 11
First and foremost, once the PS4 comes out I would like to see a review on the Blu-ray quality. I understand what it is supposed to be, but would really appreciate a definitive, experienced review of the actual product. The only reason I would invest in a PS4 is if the Blu-ray was comparable to other Blu-Ray players in the same price range. I also understand this thread is titled for games... If this falls through cracks, hopefully it will be picked up in another.

Thanks
post #16 of 37 Old 08-12-2013, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjvnyc View Post

I'm always interested in true multiplayer local games, especially any family-friendly ones.

I agree with this as well. I probably played more LittleBigPlanet than almost any other game on the PS3. Fun games like that that can be plaid with family are always something special. But getting it right is not very common.

post #17 of 37 Old 08-12-2013, 07:56 AM

Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimeran View Post

I agree with this as well. I probably played more LittleBigPlanet than almost any other game on the PS3. Fun games like that that can be plaid with family are always something special. But getting it right is not very common.

Agreed. Lego Star Wars probably came closest to "crossover" appeal for my boys. I'd asked them to find multiplayer collaborative games and this game was also "cool."

(nb: I've gone back to edit my post to add in 'collaborative')
post #18 of 37 Old 08-12-2013, 04:28 PM

Liked: 10
ok just want to know what the tv they are playing on i want one.plz let me know the one that gets me to your page :-)
post #19 of 37 Old 08-14-2013, 01:06 PM

Demon's Souls and Dark Souls are two of the most atmospheric games made in the past decade. They would be excellent games to review the video and audio presentations.
post #20 of 37 Old 08-14-2013, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
I'm up for reviewing some of the more niche releases if you are recruiting.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #21 of 37 Old 08-15-2013, 10:31 PM

Liked: 12
I would definitely say throw some indie games in. especially with the fact that the ps4 is leaning on being an indie platform, introducing 4 New exclusive indie developers. Not to mention the ps4 is going to have amazing specs. As far as current triple A game's go, one that was developed on an indie budget and got just as much praise as bioshock infinite will be Metro:Last light. This game was amazing, it was was very difficult with modes like "ranger mode" and "ranger mode hardcore" and still had a compelling enough story and single player narrative to not want to quit. Beautiful post apocalyptic landscapes and the horrifically dark abandoned tunnels of the Metro all rendered in 1080p will have you biting your nails and screaming for more. In my book this title gets a 5 out of 5, it should definitely be reviewed.

Why, Sony? Why?...
post #22 of 37 Old 08-15-2013, 10:46 PM

Liked: 12
Just wanted to say that I guess Diablo lll is now technically considered a multi-platform game it's even going to be for ps4! And let's not forget about Destiny guys. We will be seeing a lot more mmo based game's coming to consoles in the next-generation of gaming to come.

Why, Sony? Why?...
post #23 of 37 Old 08-23-2013, 10:30 PM

I would love to also see a tips section for how to get the most out of your games.
How to avoid IR with items like health bars and such when gaming on TV's.
post #24 of 37 Old 08-26-2013, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakbeat989 View Post

I would love to also see a tips section for how to get the most out of your games.
How to avoid IR with items like health bars and such when gaming on TV's.

I actually already have written a fairly comprehensive guide to A/V setup for games, but there isn't really a good place to put it at the moment.

post #25 of 37 Old 08-27-2013, 11:21 AM

Please review Splinter Cell Blacklist for PS3
post #26 of 37 Old 08-27-2013, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpivovar View Post

Please review Splinter Cell Blacklist for PS3

I'm slowly making my way through the PC version....it reminds me a lot of conviction.

post #27 of 37 Old 08-28-2013, 04:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 227
Gone Home could be interesting.
post #28 of 37 Old 09-06-2013, 09:16 AM

btw, thanks for doing this.
a few friends and I often discuss games solely bases on audio or video and its great to see some pros have a go at it.

Amazing audio is a must for an effective horror game so I would love to see something in that genre reviewed. I'd suggest these two.
Outlast
Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs

ps. prepare to be busy in a couple months when the new consoles are released. wink.gif
post #29 of 37 Old 09-06-2013, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gafflation View Post

btw, thanks for doing this.
a few friends and I often discuss games solely bases on audio or video and its great to see some pros have a go at it.

Amazing audio is a must for an effective horror game so I would love to see something in that genre reviewed. I'd suggest these two.
Outlast
Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs

I reached out to the outlast dev for a review code, haven't heard back yet though. Looks pretty cool though, but I've got too much coming my way in the next week or two to pick it up on my own.
Quote:
ps. prepare to be busy in a couple months when the new consoles are released. wink.gif

Yeah...they're packing all the big releases in really tight this November. Even a team of full time writers is gonna struggle with that. Imagine if it was someone doing it as a hobby in their spare time....and then imagine that same person has a baby due in mid November. tongue.gif

So yeah...I guess set your expectations accordingly, it's like a perfect storm of time drains. I'm not gonna fall off the radar entirely, but there's no way I can be as comprehensive or timely as I'd like to be. I'll probably get through some combination of whatever publishers send me, whatever the community really wants to hear about, or anything good enough that its worth taking the time to write about it. The next few months after that seem pretty light though, so at least I'll be able to catch up.

post #30 of 37 Old 09-07-2013, 03:48 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I really appreciate the cross-platform nature of your reviews. I can choose between all three platforms (PC, PS3, XB360), and it's good to know when the PC version is clearly superior and to choose that over a console version.
Reply Official AVS Video Game Reviews

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page