Platform(s): PC, PS3, XBOX 360

Developer: Crystal Dynamics

Publisher: Square-Enix

Genre: Third Person Shooter/Adventure

ESRB Rating: M (Mature)

Length: 10-20 Hours

Difficulty: Variable

Game Modes: Single Player Campaign, Competitive Multiplayer

Full Game Size: 13.2GB (PS3) 10.5GB (PC)

Disc Install Size: None (PS3)

Resolution: 720p (PS3)

Frame Rate: 30fps (PS3)

Audio Format(s): Dolby Digital, DTS, 5.1LPCM, 7.1LPCM

Spoken Languages: English

Subtitles: English, French, German, Spanish, Portugese, Russian, Polish, Czech, Italian, Dutch, Arabic, Korean, Chinese

Starring: Camilla Luddington, Robert Craighead

Director/Lead Designer: Noah Hughes

Music by: Jason Graves

Written by: Rhianna Pratchett

Release Date: March 5th, 2013

Synopsis:

Armed with only the raw instincts and physical ability, Tomb Raider delivers an intense and gritty story into the origins of Lara Croft and her ascent from a frightened young woman to a hardened survivor.

My Take:

In case you have yet to get your fill of the dark and brooding re-imagining of a beloved superhero, Crystal Dynamics will be happy to scratch that itch with their latest entry in the Tomb Raider series. To be fair, the series has been in a bit of a slump for a while now, and either an outright burial or a total reboot has been long overdue. Thankfully, it's quite successful at bringing Lara Croft into the modern age. For starters, she actually has the dimensions of a bona-fide human female for the first time ever, rather than a figure that even a barbie doll would find preposterous. The execution is far from perfect though. Mere seconds into the game, you're literally thrown into the deep end and given no opportunity to warm up to the new Lara or any of her compatriots. You're expected to completely buy into her transformation from naive and innocent girl into hardened survivor, but even by the loose standards of comic books it's not particularly convincing. They clearly wanted to evoke a sense of vulnerability, but unless you're a total klutz with a controller, she's a pretty hardcore killing machine from the start. Not to mention she can sustain injuries that would incapacitate Superwoman, let out a little whimper, and simply brush them off mere seconds later. After all that, it seems outright silly when she has yet another moment of self-doubt. I just wanted to shake her and say "Girl, you can do anything...you just need to believe in yourself." I suppose if that was the intended effect, it's an unqualified success.

While the story never quite grabbed me, the core gameplay is so tight that it hardly even mattered. If you take away any one thing from this review, it should be that when it gets down to business, Tomb Raider delivers. It's a fairly standard 3rd person shooter/adventure by all accounts—it's just put together exceptionally well. Crystal Dynamics have clearly paid close attention to all those little things that bother you about most games, and made sure Tomb Raider checks none of those boxes. Its not particularly unique or inspired, but it does just about everything right. The shooting feels great, and you have plenty of freedom in traversing the environment without being forced down a narrow path. It's a perfect combination of the exploration the series has always been known for, with modern sensibilities and polish when it comes down to the moment to moment gameplay.

Parental Guide:

Extreme violence, occasional profanity.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:

REFERENCE = 90-100 / EXCELLENT = 80-89 / GOOD = 65-79 / AVERAGE = 55-65 /BELOW AVERAGE = under 55

**Ratings are judged against the state of the art in contemporary games. As technology rapidly improves, standards will raise appropriately.**

Audio: 92

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics: LgMwgcaDnVUhoocZi7jyCvHa4zM-Sx4223Q9wWNbZa_iSYZYkDB138Xj9gaLHsUSlhOYn9lATUcEmcWYrDR_EhN3IVgE4D69ENwR1a3DwXXXkTXcTGsrcZm_nA

• Low Frequency Extension: 761fiwusNu2uk9tBTlIa7M5uJMPTWPNid3-k8PYxqgTWedEv8aW5EfO6PdSvbKQdldGZ41L4mG32S2ihzFKwofvL-jsv47EOR1KUvpy8177mFFzvmdC5wVlvYg

• Positional/Environmental Cues: cU3SWTy61v_7HwJpAGXSMXaU7F_Vjso9rj6gIJFo5wCe_r6aFFQ7ZU46Wm4snGQZ9U1aDiTvCi_ib9jQCIKcb2j2ofRzWwLauC-EhpOObz_gpX2l-Lb-pNU_xw

• Detail/Realism: LnYKUShrVqDiW_1EVgrRlRNQwYI8isYdOHhzhVg6qHtXPdfoEZTp9fuuNs8EO3Dl9Qiqx4qHgjclta8pTPDbM6yf43yemqkxjEQ9QWCyXY-0I96gMEHoCLR7TA

• Dialogue/Mix Quality: 761fiwusNu2uk9tBTlIa7M5uJMPTWPNid3-k8PYxqgTWedEv8aW5EfO6PdSvbKQdldGZ41L4mG32S2ihzFKwofvL-jsv47EOR1KUvpy8177mFFzvmdC5wVlvYg

When a developer goes out of the way to support full 7.1 PCM, you can be pretty sure that it's not slacking off when it comes to audio. It's reasonably dynamic, particularly with the LFE, although I wished they had gone all the way and included a full blown high dynamic range mode. As it stands, you'll have to dial your AVR back just a bit. The LFE can be quite strong at times, even navigating some of the menus will let out a massive thump of low frequencies. Other than that, it's used to good effect the majority of the time. One glaring oversight is the sound effects for the guns—they're among some of the weakest I've ever heard. With so much care taken with the rest of the audio, they stand out as particularly lacking. Positioning cues and environmental modeling are spot on—even the soundtrack appears to have been recorded in multichannel. Even though the score is not particularly memorable, it fits the tone of the game quite well. All things considered, it's a strong showing on the audio front.

Video: 72(PS3) 96(PC)  

• Resolution/Aliasing: PS3CzuxtRbH8CSNmW5SQeajxYNUef43233wuE75OXKrNYzi1YulS6dmeCLgVuIsQvQ0uafdff7OhpaJBgjm4W8eRPuNkxC0_t5-iK8msjFRhIJFnX_EDuwD56_qqgPC761fiwusNu2uk9tBTlIa7M5uJMPTWPNid3-k8PYxqgTWedEv8aW5EfO6PdSvbKQdldGZ41L4mG32S2ihzFKwofvL-jsv47EOR1KUvpy8177mFFzvmdC5wVlvYg

• Frame Rate: PS3P7xYZ3henAq_0mu_zxc-tWCP7DA89aCyUf32Tfgb-ljgeVYIgahhhOCAezzPxC8ZTVBMTIMbbKdUflQZs84SVBkLPr6NnG_O5EmWnmYNeUJiPKrSgFTAa-Jw6gPC761fiwusNu2uk9tBTlIa7M5uJMPTWPNid3-k8PYxqgTWedEv8aW5EfO6PdSvbKQdldGZ41L4mG32S2ihzFKwofvL-jsv47EOR1KUvpy8177mFFzvmdC5wVlvYg

• Calibration Adherence: 761fiwusNu2uk9tBTlIa7M5uJMPTWPNid3-k8PYxqgTWedEv8aW5EfO6PdSvbKQdldGZ41L4mG32S2ihzFKwofvL-jsv47EOR1KUvpy8177mFFzvmdC5wVlvYg

• Technical Quality: PS3LgMwgcaDnVUhoocZi7jyCvHa4zM-Sx4223Q9wWNbZa_iSYZYkDB138Xj9gaLHsUSlhOYn9lATUcEmcWYrDR_EhN3IVgE4D69ENwR1a3DwXXXkTXcTGsrcZm_nAPC761fiwusNu2uk9tBTlIa7M5uJMPTWPNid3-k8PYxqgTWedEv8aW5EfO6PdSvbKQdldGZ41L4mG32S2ihzFKwofvL-jsv47EOR1KUvpy8177mFFzvmdC5wVlvYg

• Art Design/Production Values: LgMwgcaDnVUhoocZi7jyCvHa4zM-Sx4223Q9wWNbZa_iSYZYkDB138Xj9gaLHsUSlhOYn9lATUcEmcWYrDR_EhN3IVgE4D69ENwR1a3DwXXXkTXcTGsrcZm_nA

Tomb Raider is also quite impressive when it comes to visuals. Resolution is solid on the PS3, at a full 720p with decent anti-aliasing. The frame rate can dip below 30 in a firefight, but it's generally pretty stable. There were no obvious issues on a calibrated display either. It's a gorgeous game, even pushing some high end effects like ambient occlusion shadowing on the console versions. The PC version takes it to the next level though. One notable upgrade is the hair technology called "TressFX". You can see individual strands of Lara's hair flowing around, and it looks absolutely phenomenal in motion. Alongside the tessellation and even more sophisticated lighting, you'll need some serious GPU horsepower to enable it all. It also features native 3D support on PC, a rare treat. If there is any one place where the presentation falters, it's that the vast majority of the game takes place at night, in either a jungle or cave. It can be severely monotonous, and while there are brief respites from the overbearing blandness, it could have used a splash of a color other than dark green or brown every now and then. And even though there are lots of impressive setpiece moments, they borrow too heavily from the playbook of other games. Although exhilarating in the heat of the moment, the showcase sequences were rarely memorable.

Recommended In-game Settings:

• PC - Hair - TressFX (If your GPU can handle it)

Game Design: 100

• Overall Gameplay: 761fiwusNu2uk9tBTlIa7M5uJMPTWPNid3-k8PYxqgTWedEv8aW5EfO6PdSvbKQdldGZ41L4mG32S2ihzFKwofvL-jsv47EOR1KUvpy8177mFFzvmdC5wVlvYg

• Controls/Feel: 761fiwusNu2uk9tBTlIa7M5uJMPTWPNid3-k8PYxqgTWedEv8aW5EfO6PdSvbKQdldGZ41L4mG32S2ihzFKwofvL-jsv47EOR1KUvpy8177mFFzvmdC5wVlvYg

• Interface: 761fiwusNu2uk9tBTlIa7M5uJMPTWPNid3-k8PYxqgTWedEv8aW5EfO6PdSvbKQdldGZ41L4mG32S2ihzFKwofvL-jsv47EOR1KUvpy8177mFFzvmdC5wVlvYg

• Stability: 761fiwusNu2uk9tBTlIa7M5uJMPTWPNid3-k8PYxqgTWedEv8aW5EfO6PdSvbKQdldGZ41L4mG32S2ihzFKwofvL-jsv47EOR1KUvpy8177mFFzvmdC5wVlvYg

• Load Time: 761fiwusNu2uk9tBTlIa7M5uJMPTWPNid3-k8PYxqgTWedEv8aW5EfO6PdSvbKQdldGZ41L4mG32S2ihzFKwofvL-jsv47EOR1KUvpy8177mFFzvmdC5wVlvYg

While clearly heavily influenced by Uncharted, it improves upon the formula in multiple ways. Uncharted is often aggressively linear, but Tomb Raider feels like an open world game in comparison. There's typically multiple paths to your objective, with lots of hidden treasure to find and tombs to raid along the way. An abundance of collectibles can feel like a distraction in a more linear game, but they fit well into this more open design. From the climbing to the escape sequences, it's also considerably more interactive. In almost every respect, it's an exceptionally well thought out and polished experience. Controls are intuitive and responsive. The UI is well restrained, showing only the info you need, when you need it. Checkpoints are frequent and cutscenes can be paused, and I didn't encounter a single glitch throughout the game. Loads were generally very quick, and there are no static load screens, except upon death.

Bonus Features:

• Concept Art

• Character Model Gallery

Final Thoughts:

I thoroughly enjoyed the game from start to finish, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone. Still, I'm hoping the sequel takes the framework they laid out, drops some of the pretense, and turns everything else up to 11. Even though it goes back decades, as strange as it sounds to say, it has the makings of the next great franchise. I never thought I'd be able to put Tomb Raider in the same league as Uncharted, but Nathan Drake had better watch out—Lara Croft is back, and she means business.

Mark D'Aria

AVS Forum Video Game Reviews

Reference Review System:

Panasonic TC-P60ST30 60" 1080P 3D Plasma Display (Calibrated with i1 Display LT)

Anthem MRX300 7.1 Channel AVR (Calibrated with Anthem ARC)

Paradigm Studio 40 v.3 (Main)

Paradigm CC-470 v.3 (Center)

Paradigm Studio 20 v.4 (Surround)

Velodyne HGS-18 (Subwoofer)

Sony Playstation 3 Slim (500GB Seagate Momentus XT Solid State Hybrid HDD)

Microsoft Xbox 360 S

Custom Gaming PC (Intel i5-3470, Nvidia GTX 760, 8GB DDR3, Samsung 840 SSD)

hockeynut and DRaven72 like this.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 08-09-2013, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Great review.

Makes me wish I would have gotten it when it was on Steam Summer sale...I'll probably get it around the Holiday sale or next summer sale for cheap.

May I ask if your gaming computer is overclocked at all? I would assume not to try and make the review as standard as possible....or is it water cooled? The Nvidia GPU Boost 2.0, from what I understand, will automatically overclock itself if it is running cooler and give you a bigger boost in clock when needed.

Trying to enjoy the simple things in life.

Steam: madbrayniak

post #3 of 26 Old 08-09-2013, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I gave up on tomb raider after the last revelation. ...
post #4 of 26 Old 08-09-2013, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 1393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimeran View Post

Great review.

Makes me wish I would have gotten it when it was on Steam Summer sale...I'll probably get it around the Holiday sale or next summer sale for cheap.

May I ask if your gaming computer is overclocked at all? I would assume not to try and make the review as standard as possible....or is it water cooled? The Nvidia GPU Boost 2.0, from what I understand, will automatically overclock itself if it is running cooler and give you a bigger boost in clock when needed.

It's mildly overclocked, maybe 10%. It's not like I'm running benchmarks though. The PC version gets a full grade on resolution and frame rate if the game merely supports 1080p and 60fps, it's up to the user to buy the hardware to actually make that happen.

post #5 of 26 Old 08-09-2013, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Ah, ok.

Trying to enjoy the simple things in life.

Steam: madbrayniak

post #6 of 26 Old 08-09-2013, 11:46 AM

Liked: 10
Just got this in the mail last night! So excited to play it! Nice review!
post #7 of 26 Old 08-09-2013, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

You can grab the digital version on gamefly for $12.49 right now. It activates on steam.
DRaven72 likes this.

post #8 of 26 Old 08-09-2013, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kascnef82 View Post

Alot of us did. If you have a powerful gpu (660ti or Radeon 7870 or higher) give it a wurl on the pc. Graphically and gameplay wise, I loved this TombRaider more than any past ones. I usually lost
interest in the past ones and didn't finish them. Not here. I couldn't wait to get home to get back into it. Can't wait till the next one. Hopefully it will be longer.

Cool Beans.
post #9 of 26 Old 08-09-2013, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Graphically this game is one of the best ive played on the PC all year. My comp can run it on its ultra settings +tressfx at 2560x1440. I felt the environments fit very well for the story as well as the gameplay. IMO the best PC game released this year, yes better than Bioshock Inf and the 2nd best game across all platforms behind The Last of Us

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 26 Old 08-09-2013, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kascnef82 View Post

Get this one. Tomb Raider is back with a vengence. And a sequel has been announced so hopefully this is just the beginning.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
post #11 of 26 Old 08-09-2013, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibuna View Post

Graphically this game is one of the best ive played on the PC all year. My comp can run it on its ultra settings +tressfx at 2560x1440. I felt the environments fit very well for the story as well as the gameplay. IMO the best PC game released this year, yes better than Bioshock Inf and the 2nd best game across all platforms behind The Last of Us

Yeah, it ran pretty smoothly on mine too, although I couldn't really use tressfx. I was running in 720p/3D, and while that has essentially the same pixel count as 1080p/2D, it doubled the impact of tressfx. All the hair geometry had to be calculated twice....it would drop me below 20fps at times. In 2D 1080p, it could handle everything maxed out without breaking a sweat.

Amazing looking game in 3D though, everything felt so much more perilous. I started getting physically uncomfortable climbing that radio tower, cause you could really sense how far above the ground she was, just hanging on by a thread.

post #12 of 26 Old 08-09-2013, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I know some might think that TressFX is just a gimmick, but when you go back to playing games without it, you realize just how much it adds to making the character feel more alive. And not even just the character, but the whole environment. It really does look fantastic. Do we know if any future games will have it?
post #13 of 26 Old 08-09-2013, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moob View Post

I know some might think that TressFX is just a gimmick, but when you go back to playing games without it, you realize just how much it adds to making the character feel more alive. And not even just the character, but the whole environment. It really does look fantastic. Do we know if any future games will have it?

I havent heard of any other games using that specific tech, but I expect that next gen games will have something similar as standard before too long.  Your absolutely right, it sounds like such a silly thing, but it makes a pretty big difference.

post #14 of 26 Old 08-10-2013, 02:50 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 24
You mentioned that this game is influenced by Uncharted.

Do you think it has any ties to the original Tomb Raider? Is the developmental path from the previous reboot cycle (TR:Legend, TR:Anniversary, TR:Underworld) evident?
post #15 of 26 Old 08-10-2013, 03:05 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I dont know about a raw killing machine right from the start. Shes starts out running scared ans mentions to her "mentor" at the begining she had to kill and it was a little too easy for her...

Overall I havent finished it yet but thats because I went to japan..... otherwise id still be addicted.

My Equipment:

Fusion 12 Tempest (LCR)
DIY Sealed 18" Dayton HO Refrence Subs (2)
Electricity
post #16 of 26 Old 08-10-2013, 04:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezy2012 View Post

You mentioned that this game is influenced by Uncharted.

Do you think it has any ties to the original Tomb Raider? Is the developmental path from the previous reboot cycle (TR:Legend, TR:Anniversary, TR:Underworld) evident?

UC was heavily influenced by the earlier TRs too, so it's more of a back and forth. To be honest I haven't played more than a bit of the last few TR games, I didn't think they were that great. It's considerably more linear than the originals, but you're still jumping at ledges and shooting things as usual. The main difference is that there isn't really any mystery as to where to go next. As far as the story goes, it's not as major a reboot as DmC, Lara is still Lara. Think along the lines of Batman Begins.

post #17 of 26 Old 08-11-2013, 10:21 AM

Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by moob View Post

They need to do some heavy optimization on it, as it's a terrible resource hog. It's a bit more fluid and realistic, but honestly Spicy Horse pulled off something similar on their optimized U3 engine for Alice: Madness Returns and got it running on PS360 to boot! The effect add the same air of ambiance IMO, but apparently isn't a resource hog there:

tumblr_m6e94rs7QB1ru8d9jo1_500.gif

alice__madness_returns_gif__2_by_mognett-d4t5ije.gif

nvLkU.gif

ibo9ivCo8Zi2T0.gif

iblOKR7QlYY63u.gif

Honestly, I think the issue with TR TressFX isn't necessarily the physics and hair, but that if you look closely every strand is self shadowing; on each other and on the model / environment. That's where your computing goes...
post #18 of 26 Old 08-11-2013, 03:11 PM

Liked: 13
Played it when it first came out. Really like it for a Tomb Raider reboot.

Plus it really gave my sound system a workout.
post #19 of 26 Old 08-11-2013, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

They need to do some heavy optimization on it, as it's a terrible resource hog. It's a bit more fluid and realistic, but honestly Spicy Horse pulled off something similar on their optimized U3 engine for Alice: Madness Returns and got it running on PS360 to boot! The effect add the same air of ambiance IMO, but apparently isn't a resource hog there:

Honestly, I think the issue with TR TressFX isn't necessarily the physics and hair, but that if you look closely every strand is self shadowing; on each other and on the model / environment. That's where your computing goes...
I can't say that I noticed much of a performance hit with TressFX enabled aside from a few dips during some cinematic sequences. But I wasn't playing at that moment so it didn't bother me. tongue.gif I was also only playing at 1080p with a 7970 GHz. I'm guessing if I jumped to 1440p or something I might have seen a bigger hit. I'm one of those people who likes to play at max settings, but with a single-card configuration, so I'm sort of limited to 1080p for a lot of newer games if I want to keep it at 60fps.

Edit: A few shots (my own) of the hair with TressFX for those who haven't seen it (hi-res) here, here and here.
post #20 of 26 Old 08-12-2013, 07:04 AM

Liked: 10
Useless review.

I don't understand what's the point of reviewing the PS3 versions of Tomb Raider, Bioshock and so forth when everybody plays them on the Xbox.
post #21 of 26 Old 08-12-2013, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillon999 View Post

Useless review.

I don't understand what's the point of reviewing the PS3 versions of Tomb Raider, Bioshock and so forth when everybody plays them on the Xbox.

Even if that were true, all the versions are essentially the same game.

post #22 of 26 Old 08-12-2013, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 62
I turned tressfx off. Even though my frame rate didn't drop below 40fps and it was never really noticeable during play, it made her hair unrealistic at times and I found it more annoying than anything. I will say turning it off gave me a locked 60fps though.

The game itself does a great job of being what it is. It just feels a little too linear and the puzzles too simple. They did an amazing job with some of the set pieces and environments though. The camera is always in the right place to create that cinematic experience and give a sense of height and scale. I would have just liked a bit more challenge in the optional tombs at least.
post #23 of 26 Old 08-12-2013, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:

Useless review.

Because this is an A/V website, there is a higher percentage of PS3 users represented here than on other strictly gaming oriented websites specifically because of the PS3's status as a BD player and for years was considered to be one of the best and least expensive BD players. That's why.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
post #24 of 26 Old 08-14-2013, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Still working through this, just got to the boat that they are fixing up. It seems to have kicked into almost straight action mode. I've enjoyed it quite a bit so far and looking forward to finishing it. I never really liked Tomb Raider games until this. I fully agreed this is a great game for those who are fans of Uncharted.
post #25 of 26 Old 08-15-2013, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

Useless review. I don't understand what's the point of reviewing the PS3 versions of Tomb Raider, Bioshock and so forth when everybody plays them on the Xbox.

Agreed with the other post. PS3 and Xbox 360 cross-platform games roughly look, play, and sound the same.

Feel free to post your own review using your console of choice.

Here are the review guidelines: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1483445/avsforum-game-review-standards

post #26 of 26 Old 01-05-2014, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monger View Post

I turned tressfx off. Even though my frame rate didn't drop below 40fps and it was never really noticeable during play, it made her hair unrealistic at times and I found it more annoying than anything. I will say turning it off gave me a locked 60fps though.

The game itself does a great job of being what it is. It just feels a little too linear and the puzzles too simple. They did an amazing job with some of the set pieces and environments though. The camera is always in the right place to create that cinematic experience and give a sense of height and scale. I would have just liked a bit more challenge in the optional tombs at least.

I agree with this. I'm about 40% through the game on PC. (5 hours in) I have every option maxed except the tressfx hair off. I'm not a fan of the hair tressfx in motion. It looks great when it's moving naturally - but when the wind blows hard in the game which is about every other scene - the hair is jumping around like some sort of cracked out medusa snakes. It looks horrible. When it's not windy it does look fantastic - but that hair in the super windy scenes just looks terrible in it's animation. Reminds me of those shrek animations that didn't make it into the movie available on the extras where the animation is horribly off.

That said - I really enjoyed Tomb Raider Legends the best of any of the Tomb Raiders so far. This definitely felt more like Drake's Fortune Uncharted than Tomb Raider.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"

Reply Official AVS Video Game Reviews

Tags
Tomb Raider Ps3

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page