South Park: The Stick of Truth (PS3/360/PC) Official AVSForum Review - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 04-24-2014, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked: 1669

Overall rating:
5/5

Audio/Video total rating:

Platform(s): PS3, Xbox 360, PC
Developer: Obsidian Entertainment, South Park Studios
Publisher: Ubisoft
Genre: Role-playing
ESRB Rating: Mature 17+

Length: 12-15 hours
Difficulty: Easy
Game Modes: Casual, Normal, Hardcore

Full Game Size: 5.44GB (PC)
Disc Install Size: N/A ( download)
Resolution: 1080p
Frame Rate: 60

Audio Format(s): Up to 7.1 audio (on PC)
Spoken Languages: English
Subtitles: Yes

Directed by: Chris Brion, Chris Parker, and Zane Lyon

Music by: Jamie Dunlap
Written by: Trey Parker, Matt Stone, and Eric Fenstermaker

Release Date: March 4, 2014

Screenshots:

Playing South Park: The Stick of Truth is a bit like being inside the show

The plot revolves around Nazi zombies, an alien invasion, and a Taco Bell

The game is as irreverent as the show, it's not for the easily offended

The game's artwork and animation are the same quality as the actual show

Synopsis:

"From the perilous battlefields of the fourth-grade playground, a young hero will rise, destined to be South Park’s savior. From the creators of South Park, Trey Parker and Matt Stone, comes an epic quest to become… cool. Introducing South Park™: The Stick of Truth™. 

"For a thousand years, the battle has been waged. The sole reason humans and elves are locked in a neverending war: The Stick of Truth. But the tides of war are soon to change as word of a new kid spreads throughout the land, his coming foretold by the stars. As the moving vans of prophecy drive away, your adventure begins.   

"Arm yourself with weapons of legend to defeat crabpeople, underpants gnomes, hippies, and other forces of evil. Discover the lost Stick of Truth and earn your place at the side of Stan, Kyle, Cartman, and Kenny as their new friend. Succeed, and you shall be South Park’s savior, cementing your social status in South Park Elementary. Fail, and you will forever be known… as a loser."
 source: Ubisoft

My Take

Speaking as a long-time South Park fan, The Stick of Truth really nailed the elements that make the show tick. The humor, the animation, the characters—everything in the game felt like it was part of the actual show. My only gripe is that I wished I could have stayed in that world a little bit longer; I finished the whole game in about fifteen hours. My only other gripe is that the combat was very simplistic.

Despite the short playtime and basic, turn-based combat, all is forgiven. That's because in the end, The Stick of Truth is as much an interactive movie as it is a game. If I wanted exceptional gameplay mechanics in a 2D platformer, there are tons of other games to choose from—but none of those games take place in a world as chock-full of real characters as Stick of Truth. Also, the game itself made me laugh out loud a number of times; in fact, I'm certain I've never played a funnier video game in my whole life.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:

REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**Ratings are judged against the state of the art in contemporary games. As technology rapidly improves, standards will raise appropriately.**

Audio: 90

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692
  •  
  • Low Frequency Extension: N/A
  •  
  • Positional/Environmental Cues: N/A
  •  
  • Detail/Realism: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699
  •  
  • Dialogue/Mix Quality: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

Compared to some games, the audio in South Park: The Stick of Truth might seem a bit tame. There are no huge sound effects that test the limits of your subwoofers. There are no all-enveloping soundfields filled with audio cues like you'll find in most role-playing games. Instead, you get the exact sounds you'd expect from South Park: farts, well-voiced dialog, and funny sound effects. However, it's all mixed and presented so perfectly, I felt that a reference-quality rating was justified.

Video: 99

•  
  • Resolution/Aliasing: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699
  •  
  • Frame Rate: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699
  •  
  • Calibration Adherence: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699
  •  
  • Technical Quality: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699
  •  
  • Art Design/Production Value: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Is this a biased review? You bet it is! South Park: The Stick of Truth gets a near-perfect rating for video because it really, truly looks like the show. Sure, there's nothing 3D about it whatsoever, but who cares! The feeling of immersion is still there. The game even makes a joke about it's own graphics, just take a look at what Canada looks like:

When you enter Canada, the game's graphics go '80s retro

Recommended Settings:

•  
  • Audio— N/A
  • Video—1920 x 1080 @ 60Hz

Game Design: 89

• Overall Gameplay: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699
  •  
  • Controls/Feel: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692
  •  
  • Interface: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699
  •  
  • Stability: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699
  •  
  • Load Time: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

Final Thoughts:

Matt Stone and Trey Parker are comedic geniuses. They deserve respect for keeping South Park funny and interesting through 17 years on TV. At the end of each South Park season, I wind up wishing there were more episodes. This year I got my wish and more, thanks to South Park: The Stick of Truth. Spending 15 hours in this game's world felt like watching a whole other season of the show. The game would never work if it weren't for the quality of the story, script, and artwork—but more than anything, it's the humor that really makes The Stick of truth such a special treat to play. Highly recommended, unless you are easily offended.

Mark Henninger

AVS Forum Video Game Reviews

Reference Review System:

Vizio M550KD
Behringer B215XL L/R front
Pioneer SP-FS52 surrounds
Pioneer Elite SC-55 receiver
DIY subs (4X12")
Crown XTi-2002 (subwoofer amp)

nanoAVR DSP (bass management and EQ)
Custom PC: i5 2500 with 16GB RAM, XFX Radeon R9 270X DD, 10,000 rpm hard drive.

Like AVS Forum on Facebook

Follow AVS Forum on Twitter

+1 AVS Forum on Google+

Ralph Potts likes this.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-24-2014, 04:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 1342
It really does look indistinguishable from the show, and it's packed so full of fan service from start to finish. I had a dumb grin on my face the entire time I was playing it, and man, it's like an order of magnitude more offensive than the show...they really went all out.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #3 of 12 Old 04-24-2014, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

It really does look indistinguishable from the show, and it's packed so full of fan service from start to finish. I had a dumb grin on my face the entire time I was playing it, and man, it's like an order of magnitude more offensive than the show...they really went all out.

You are right, at times it is even more extreme than the show and it makes you take part in it. Brilliant.

post #4 of 12 Old 04-25-2014, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
It really is one for the fans, I loved it and kept finding myself a little bit guilty at some of things I was laughing so hard at. I had wanted to play on after the game finished but usually the best entertainment leaves you wanting more
post #5 of 12 Old 04-25-2014, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 558
I'm a huge south park fan, and I think that's pretty much a pre-requisite for this game

gameplay, I'd only give it like 2/5 stars. it's the same thing for 10hrs straight, and your level and equipment don't seem to really matter. as you level up, opponents level up equally. so even thought the numbers get bigger(more damage, more armor, etc) the strategies and combat basically don't change.

the story though, is awesome, totally redeems the game imo. 6/5 stars! this is where being a fan really makes the difference. between the references and similar humor style, you just miss out on too much if you aren't a fan of the show.

the biggest issue it's there basically no replay value. after 15hrs or so, you've done everything, achieved everything, and heard all the jokes. it's the perfect offline RPG, but in this market of multiplayer online obsession, it does leave you wanting more at the end.

on the bright side, 15hrs of gameplay is still a LOT, and I'm sure i'll end up playing through it again in the summer after I've forgotten some of the jokes
Elkcaps likes this.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #6 of 12 Old 04-25-2014, 06:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 1342
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

I'm a huge south park fan, and I think that's pretty much a pre-requisite for this game

gameplay, I'd only give it like 2/5 stars. it's the same thing for 10hrs straight, and your level and equipment don't seem to really matter. as you level up, opponents level up equally. so even thought the numbers get bigger(more damage, more armor, etc) the strategies and combat basically don't change.

the story though, is awesome, totally redeems the game imo. 6/5 stars! this is where being a fan really makes the difference. between the references and similar humor style, you just miss out on too much if you aren't a fan of the show.

the biggest issue it's there basically no replay value. after 15hrs or so, you've done everything, achieved everything, and heard all the jokes. it's the perfect offline RPG, but in this market of multiplayer online obsession, it does leave you wanting more at the end.

on the bright side, 15hrs of gameplay is still a LOT, and I'm sure i'll end up playing through it again in the summer after I've forgotten some of the jokes

If anything I wished it was a little shorter and more focused. Any gear I'd get would last just a few fights, and it hardly mattered anyway. I think I spent like a quarter of the time just reconfiguring equipment.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #7 of 12 Old 04-25-2014, 06:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 153
I am a SP fan but I could not stand the game due to the gameplay (which really bummed me out because I was looking forward to the game).

Admittedly I am not a turn based / RPG fan. redface.gif

Jason
post #8 of 12 Old 04-26-2014, 01:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I have this game and LOVE it, it is just like watching South Park, so amazing and you get to see the whole town and yeah just so much fun. smile.gif

post #9 of 12 Old 04-26-2014, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

If anything I wished it was a little shorter and more focused. Any gear I'd get would last just a few fights, and it hardly mattered anyway. I think I spent like a quarter of the time just reconfiguring equipment.

yeah fair enough, I agree that the upgrades and stuff wasn't done well. there were so many 'interesting' things to pick up, but I ended up using pretty much 3 weapons the whole game. I'm not 'good' at video games usually, and never been into the turn-based fighting games, so I just fought cats and dogs and stuff to boost my experience before even doing the quests. but like you said, it made no difference. by the time I got the katana and was inflicting 6000 damage per hit, the zombies were armored up like crazy.

but I would not have wanted the game shorter, the story was awesome, I just wanted it to keep going, haha. the solution would have been to fix the gameplay, make more of the quests require certain weapons to win or something like that.
Elkcaps likes this.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #10 of 12 Old 04-28-2014, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Great review!

I had an absolute blast playing through and beating this game! I never laughed so hard while playing video game in my life.

Being a big fan of the show ever since it first came on air I really appreciated all the detail of the episodes put into the game. Just a great game. I love RPG's as well and even if your not a fan of South Park I think one can still have a great experience with this one.
Daniel Chaves likes this.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #11 of 12 Old 05-09-2014, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 547
I'm only a casual South Park fan (I really need to watch more of it, as I have a really warped sense of humor) but I am a big RPG fan. Should I give this game a shot or should I wait until I catch up on the series?

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #12 of 12 Old 05-10-2014, 02:24 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

I'm only a casual South Park fan (I really need to watch more of it, as I have a really warped sense of humor) but I am a big RPG fan. Should I give this game a shot or should I wait until I catch up on the series?

Go online and watch the last three episodes of the latest season, it's a nice lead-in to the game.

Reply Official AVS Video Game Reviews
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page