AVS Forum banner

15 Demo Worthy Blu-ray Scenes to show off your Surround Sound System

92K views 180 replies 135 participants last post by  Cashuout 
#1 ·
As home theater enthusiasts we love to show off our home entertainment systems. Let’s face it we have put lots of blood, sweat, tears and money into our labor of love so why shouldn’t we sit our friends, neighbors, relatives and anyone else that happens by down for a demonstration? Like many of you reading this I still get a kick out of watching people react to a great demo scene played back in my 7.2 channel theater. Of course this type of setup isn’t required to derive the awe factor as each room, system and enthusiast is different.

The advent of surround sound gave us a whole new way to thrill ourselves at home. DVD and its 5.1 digital sound and crisp video put smiles on more faces than I can count. The arrival of high definition Blu-ray and lossless audio took it to a new level entirely. I have a variety of Blu-ray Discs that I like to use for demonstration material. Some are for video quality, some are for audio quality and some qualify for both. This month I thought I would focus on audio quality and offer a few specific scenes from Blu-ray Discs that I use to demo my system. It should be noted that the order is random and this isn’t a comprehensive top fifteen list. I decided to focus on live action films and chose a few that some might not consider main stream but have something tangible to offer. I have included specific chapter and where applicable time stamp information along with the format used.

Fight Club

Chap 9. (opening): Short but incredibly dynamic and jarring - DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio

Mr. Brooks

Chap. 29 - 1:42:00 (Hallway shootout): Dynamically rich with a punchy low end – DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio

U-571

Chap. 15 (“depth charged”): Needs little introduction and is simply terrific – DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio

War of the worlds

Chap. 13 (The ferry crossing): Deceptively good with immersive sound and involving bass – DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio

Flight of the Phoenix

Chap. 5 (The sandstorm): An oldie but goodie that makes for a great system torture test – DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio

Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol

Chap. 5 - 00:31:00 (Kremlin explosion): Another brief but wonderfully jarring/immersive experience - Dolby TrueHD 7.1

Super 8

Chap. 14 - 01:20:00 (Bus attack): This is an involving sequence featuring dynamically rich sound, off camera cues and hearty bass – Dolby TrueHD 7.1

Thor

Chap. 3 (Battling the Frost Giants): From start to finish this one has it all – DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio

Terminator Salvation

Chap. 9/10 (The surprise attack at the gas station followed by the chase): Lots of great directional correlation and room filling bass – DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio

The Hunger Games

Chap. 10 (At the edge): This is a great sequence that makes excellent use of the entire surround platform and features room traversing effects underscored by pulsating low frequency detail – DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio

Rambo

Chap. 14 (The battle at the river): Lots of flying bullets, big guns and room filling explosions – DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio

Hereafter

Chap. 1 - 00:03:15 – 00:08:00 (The tsunami): I like this one for its involving use of surround, robust dynamics and enriching detail – DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio

Act of Valor

Chap. 9 thru 00:41:12 of chap. 10 (The rescue): Much like Hereafter I like this sequence for its visceral edge, involving quality and snappy dynamics – DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio

The Grey

Chap. 3 - 00:12:50 – 00:14:30 (The crash) – This is a short sequence but it’s memorable – DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio

Transformers Dark of the Moon

Chap. 15 - 01:38:40 – 01:39:36 (being greeted upon arrival in Chicago): This entire soundtrack would qualify as demo worthy. This is a brief sequence that I like to use because it’s well rounded, directly to the point and hits hard – Dolby TrueHD 7.1

I have reviewed nearly all of the Blu-ray listed above. They can be found in the AVS Forum Blu-ray Disc Review Database for those who want to check out the details.

There you have it – 15 demo worthy Blu-ray scenes that’ll sound great on your multi-channel home theater system. But this list is by no means supposed to be definitive. I'd love to hear which scenes you consider worthy of eliciting the awe factor when showing off your audio system. Please post some suggestions in the comments below, or feel free to create your own list on AVS!

Ralph Potts has been a member of AVS for ten years and has been reviewing audio/video hardware and digital home media for even longer. He has been AVS’ official Blu-ray reviewer for the last four years and has provided over nine hundred Blu-ray reviews for the AVS Community. You can follow Ralph along with AVS’ other official Blu-ray reviewer Lee Weber HERE

See less See more
#54 ·
I have enjoyed reading all the movies everyone has mentioned most of them have rocked my house!! I would like to put what I have heard and made me look stupid by turning around to and saying what the heck was that as I look to my surrounds. Underworld Awakening to me has a lot of detail that will give your surrounds a good work out!! It has jumped up to my number one sound movie and let me say Transformers Dark of the Moon was and has been on top for a while.

#56 ·
As I was going though my Blu-Ray collection to look for all one that are suggested above..I came across some movies that was not mentioned...The Matrix series...

In the first Matrix, the last chapter when Neo and Trinity are trying to rescue Morpheous on the roof top. The sound of the gatling gun from the copter.. The Boom from the bullets leaving the gun of the agent, to the wizzing sound of the bullets passing Neo as he dodged them, the huge explosion as the copter crashes into the building.

The Matrix Reloaded..The entire car chase scenes...The power plant explosion.

The Matrix Revolutions...The scene where Zion is defending itself from the attack of the Octopus creatures and the final fight scene between Neo and Agent Smith. The sound of them throwing punches..

#57 ·
agree with TaxVictim that some BR music videos are terrific for showing off sound reproduction - usually not so great for showing off surround effects, though. i'll check out the Stop Making Sense cut as suggested.
and agree with anhxeom about parts of the whole Matrix series. thank you for mention of specific scenes. and with Smirky Dewy for mention of LOTR (although i don't have specific scenes in mind, either).
Dean 2012, Star Wars does have some great scenes for surround sound and bass. i have the collection, but would have to go back and re-watch to pull out specific places ... guess i'm not as sharp as those of you who can just Name That Scene !
great stuff. great thread.

#60 ·
I love the LOTR trilogy! I have the Extended Edition on Blu-Ray, I probably watched it more than any other series. One thing I have to say about the audio for this series is that there are way too many action scenes to mention, BUT the one thing that stands out the most is the background sound tracks. Howard Shore along with the London Philharmonic Orchestra did an incredible job! You can really feel a sense of the vastness of the valleys and grass plains to the height of the mountains, the calmness of the forest and streams. Then there is the struggle between good and evil....From the deep blaring horn of the ogres marching out of Mordor, you get a sense of the impending doom, to the scene at the end of ROTK when Sam picks up Frodo and carries him up mount doom. The background music just carries all the emotions..No wonder they won several academy awards for the soundtrack!

#67 ·
The opening chapters of Master and Commander. Below deck scenes have creaks all around, and especially during the battle prep when they follow Russel Crowe - you can hear them closing the door/wall behind you!

Oh, and there is a couple of cannon shot impacts for you explosion-types. ;-)

#68 ·
Mr. Miami, I figured the Jurassic Park movies as well as the King Kong movie would have pretty good sound. Especially on Blu-Ray. I have the Jurassic Park Trilogy, but haven't watched it yet. I am in the proccess of upgrading my home theater so its been down for a few months. I just got my last 2 items in (receiver and subs) so I should be up and running within a week. I heard the pod race scene in Star Wars was pretty good for surround and bass. I don't have those Blu-Rays yet, but I hear they are all great.

#69 ·
Hey guys and gals.
New to AVS, first post, I actually joined because of this post cause I am FANATICAL about surround sound and 2.0 demos alike.
I wanted the throw my $0.02 out there and see what you thought of these.
The opening title sequence to David Finchers "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo". Outstanding Visuals (some of the best CGI I have ever scene) paired with Trent Reznor, Atticus Ross and Karen O's pounding rendition of "Immigrant Song" make for a neighbor pisser offer with reference to the visuals, TALK ABOUT AN AMAZING BLACK LEVELS DEMO! this thing DRIPS off the screen on the VT50
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XKPCO_yTlc

Capa's jump scene from "Sunshine". While not as powerful as some of the ones mentioned on here, the amazing on screen torture that Cillian Murphy's character is going through in that scene, combined with the sublime visuals, mixed with John Muprhy's incredible scoring right there makes for a powerful combination.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clG_1sqOsBs

One that was amazing to me that WASN'T on this list was the Hell Unleashed scene in GLADIATOR! ROMA VICTOR! The blu ray is a little lacking in some spots, compared with my DTS certified dvd copy. The quality of the video transfer is a wee bit on the dark side if you ask me, but I have heard they have corrected this in a later release of the blu ray. Also, the battle sequence with the tigers is just outstanding.

TRON: Legacy. I was VERY pleased to see this one on here a few times. GREAT LFE workout on this one. The Lightcycle sequence and the End of Line club scene (With Derezzed pounding in the background) are GREAT ones.

It was nice seeing that The Matrix got honorable mention, but the problem lies in the fact that it is STILL only in DolbyTruHD. How the hell is it that I can watch the Breakfast Club in DTS but I can't watch The Matrix in DTS... still stumps me.

TOP GUN! The Blu Ray version, opening sequence, AWESOME LFE levels here. Going through the them into when Danger Zone kicks in is just a pleasure for the eyes and ears. Jets taking off right into your living room. Awesome. Another great scene from here is when Mav and Goose are going up against Viper in one of their first dogfights at Top Gun, with "Mighty Wings" jamming in the background.

And, even though the movie PALED in comparison to the greatness of the games, if you want INCREDIBLE gun sounds... Max Payne. I am not kidding man, every gun in that movie sounds like a damn cannon. The shootout sequence in the office space is incredible. From the sprinkler system kicking on and filling your room with water, to the slow motion sequence where Max is running along the panes of glass shattering is just sick. It will be worth it, my fellow audiophiles, I promise.

#70 ·
I COMPLETELY agree with the mention of Battleship. Think what you may of the film, but the audio and video presentation is right next to flawless. A definite must own for ANYONE who enjoys a great alien invasion movie, outstanding visuals, and a wall shattering soundtrack.
-Speaking of great alien invasion movies, Battle:LA is another awesome choice as well.

well, those were the first few I could think of off the top of my head, but I will be following this thread with great interest!
please comment and reply! Would LOVE to hear feedback!

#71 ·
I COMPLETELY agree with the mention of Battleship. Think what you may of the film, but the audio and video presentation is right next to flawless. A definite must own for ANYONE who enjoys a great alien invasion movie, outstanding visuals, and a wall shattering soundtrack.
-Speaking of great alien invasion movies, Battle:LA is another awesome choice as well.

well, those were the first few I could think of off the top of my head, but I will be following this thread with great interest!
please comment and reply! Would LOVE to hear feedback!

#76 ·
And let's not forget:
The Lord of the Rings E.E.,F.o.t.R:Opening scene from Blanchett's voice up till Shauron's explosion and the fall of the Ring.Simply one scene to rule them all..

And immersive LFE scene:
How to train your dragon:The fall of the master dragon.Depth and volume form single digit Hz up till almost 120Hz

One vote also for Tron:Legacy,fight scene in the ''club''.Extremely difficult due to Daft Punk's music.A ttrue test for a sub as apart from depth it is demanding in attack and control.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.