AVS Forum banner

What Surround Sound Configuration Is Right For You?

15K views 55 replies 28 participants last post by  barelyderr251 
#1 ·

By Eric Podolsky , 8/27/12

When building a home theater, there is no debate as to the importance of choosing an audio configuration that’s the best fit for your taste, as well as your space. Whether you’re looking to keep it minimal and compact, or want to go all out with big, floor-standing speakers, care needs to be given to their configuration if you want everything to sound its best. Here are some of the main considerations to take into play when choosing your home theater’s surround sound configuration.

Room Size

As most AVS members will tell you, room dimensions should be considered first and foremost when choosing an audio setup. The size and shape of your room play the ultimate deciding factor in everything, including the number, size, and placement of your speakers and subwoofers. For example, AVS member arnyk explains why it’s important to match your subwoofer size to your room size: “Every room has a frequency below which response starts to ramp up. The larger the room, the lower the frequency...Take a really small room like the passenger compartment of a small car. The ramp up starts at a relatively high frequency, maybe as high as 100 Hz or more. If your audio system starts rolling off at 100 Hz, the ramp up combines with the roll off, and its a draw... If the ramp up/roll off points don't match, then you get a hole or a peak. Both are bad, but the hole is probably more tolerable for most people.... In a larger room the ramp up starts at a lower frequency, say 20 Hz. If your audio system starts rolling off at 50 Hz, then there is a hole in the overall response between 50 and 20 Hz. Not good.”

Room size is also essential when choosing the number of speakers you’ll be using for your system. While 5.1 is the standard-go-to for most, this is entirely customizable based onpersonal preference. Whether you go with 2.0, 2.1, 5.1, 7.1, 10.2, or any other conceivable configuration, be sure to take your space into consideration. For example, if you have a big room and are considering 7.1, make sure you have enough room behind your seat, as 7.1 surround speakers need space. AVS member C0rk points out that while “in a 5.1 system, the surround speakers go on the sides... [7.1 is] really more of whether you have room behind your listening area, not so much room size.” No matter what shape and size your room is, be assured that there is a sound system that fits it perfectly -- it just needs to be discovered.

System Uses

One essential factor in choosing the speakers you install is what you’ll be using them for. Your ideal setup will vary depending on whether you’re using your system for TV/movies, gaming or music -- each activity demands something different from a system. 5.1 is the default for most who use their system for TV/movies, though more and more folks are going with 7.1 as of late. But before you splurge on a big 7.1 system, keep in mind that it may be overkill. AVS member Jay1 says that7.1 “is only needed for theater seating type situations,” and WagBoss agrees: “7.1 is pointless unless you have a large home theatre. You can't run 7 speakers off an AVR very well without external amplification.” Video games typically demand similar requirements from systems as TV/movies do, although there is often more of an emphasis on the low-end -- there’s nothing like a good responsive subwoofer rumble when you’re deep into a first person shooter.

If you use your setup mainly for audio, a 5.1 system will probably get less use, as there’s only a relatively small percentage of music that is mixed for 5.1 surround. It is more than worth it though, if you have access to those high-fidelity recordings that are compatible with 5.1. Other audiophiles prefer two floor-standing speakers in front to maximize the fidelity of stereo recordings, and depending on their size and quality you may not even need a subwoofer -- many 2.0 floor-standers can provide a well-rounded sound with great low end. Member smasher50 suggests that if you’re using your speakers “strictly for music, I don't think you need a sub unless you listen to a lot of classical and pipe organ music, or if you are going to use it with TV/movies.” 2.0 floor-standers may not be the best value though, as member pureiso points out that “for the same price range you can generally get a much better bookshelf speaker.” But if you’re not worried about price, two floor-standing speakers may be your best option as a music-listener.

Picking Your Speakers

Once you’ve determined the number and size of your ideal speakers, it’s time to get specific and choose a brand and model. Unfortunately, this is one area where you are on your own -- with so many quality types on the market, we can’t in our right mind single out any specific speakers in a general guide such as this. For this task, AVS’ knowledgeable forum experts are happy to help with suggestions based on your specific room layout.

That being said, there are a few widely accepted rules for picking your speakers. WagBoss advises: “Generally, people say that the front three speakers should be the same brand and model line. All front speakers will have a matching center. Surrounds don't matter as much, unless you listen to SACDs or other multi-channel music. For subwoofers, it doesn't matter at all what brand.” Also be sure not to invest too heavily in areas that aren’t as essential, as steveklein suggests: “I think the fronts are significantly more important than the rears/surrounds. Several years ago, I spent about $500 a speaker on my fronts and about $150 a speaker on my surrounds and i've been very happy with the results...IMO, I think it is silly to spend the same amount of money on surrounds as your front soundstage.”

In regards to the floor-standing vs. bookshelf speaker argument, it’s all about personal preference, as each have their benefits. WagBoss mentions, “There's not much difference between floor standers and bookshelves if you have a subwoofer. Find ones you like, as it doesn't really matter if they are towers or bookshelf. Bookshelves are smaller, so they take up less space, but you have to mount them or get stands.” Again, it’s all about what works for you.

Speaker Placement

Now that you’ve made a well-informed purchase, it’s time to install. But take care -- speaker and subwoofer placement are essential to make the most of your system’s capabilities, as every room is different, and needs its own unique layout to optimize its sound. While idealspeaker and subwoofer placement will vary according to your room’s layout, Dolby has a helpful guide that gives a basic layout of where you should generally place your speakers, depending on configuration. Of course, there are many variablesto consider(room shape and speaker size, to name a few) when deciding speaker placement, but most will agree on their ideal height, as AVS member jb82 explains: “The front tweeters should be atear level... it's best to angle [the center speaker] up or down towards your ears if possible.” There is some more debate as to the height of the surround speakers, as many also suggest an ear level placement, though some say that 2-3 feet above ear level is optimal. If you’re using floorstanders, there are other factors involved in placement, as member ack_bk points out: “Most floor standing speakers need a minimum of 12-24 inches from a boundary (side and back walls) to get proper imaging and sound.” If you’re working with a smaller room, smaller bookshelf speakers may be your best bet -- of course this will mean that you’ll need a dedicated subwoofer to make up for the low end that bookshelf speakers can’t deliver.

Ultimately, only you will be able to determine where to place your subwoofer to achieve the best acoustics for your surround sound system is experimentation with placement and orientation. Trial and error is a tried and true method, so experiment away, taking into consideration your room’s unique angles and contours. As member ccotenj attests, “as far as positioning goes... man, would life be a lot easier if there was a cut and dried answer to that question...” Which brings us to our next section...

Room Acoustics

This is an issue that everyone installing their own home theater has struggled with. In addition to speaker placement, there are other ways to optimize the rooms acoustic

s for the best sound possible. Customizing your system’s EQ to fit your space is one tedious-yet-rewarding way to make things sound great (this could take some time to perfect).

One essential addition that is guaranteed to help with this is the installation of bass traps in your room’s crevices, which catch sound waves so that they don’t overlap and cause muddiness. AVS member and bass trap expert Ethan Winer explains: “The cause [of nulls across the mid and upper bass range] is reflections off the walls, floor, and ceiling, combining with the direct sound from the speakers and with each other... You'll never get a perfectly flat response, so the more bass traps you have the closer you'll get. It's that simple.” dwightp agrees with Ethan’s argument for quantity: “Put in as many bass traps as you possibly can. Bass traps are generally most effective in corners -- wall-to-wall, wall-to-ceiling, wall-to-floor, etc.”

Construction of bass traps can be made from a variety of materials, as Ethan Winer lays out: “Traps can also be made from rigid insulation board, OC703 or the equivalent. You can cover the bass traps with acoustically transparent fabric, if you want.” Member FOH adds that “thick bass traps are best constructed out of cheap 'fluffy' style insulation. For attenuating reflection points for wall mounting, use 703 of 4" minimum, with a 4" gap.” Fill those corners right, and you should be basking in aural bliss in no time.

But there is one rule of thumb that applies above all else: always test speakers out first-hand before making a purchase. Better yet, make sure you have a good return policy, as the room in your home is guaranteed to sound different than a store’s showroom. Everybody’s ears are different, and you should ultimately rely on your own opinion at the end of the day, no matter how many recommendations are thrown your way. To each his own, and if you do your homework, you’ll be well on your way to an epic home theater experience. Happy hunting!

See less See more
#27 ·
My living room is 16 x 20 and I am running 9.2 with speakers installed to be able to run 11.2 as soon as someone makes an amp or preamp that will drive 11 channels. Onkyo and Denon are almost there, what is the hold up?? I have the money in my pockets just waiting:)

#28 ·
An easy way to locate the subwoofer inside an existing room is placing the sub at the listener's ear position. Walk the room boundaries and listen for the maximum bass boost. This is where you put the sub to locate the sweet spot at the listeners ear position.

#29 ·
Great article, covers most of the bases in plain language or examples.

My experience for what its worth was a little different. I've had Nears and Paradigms etc and moved from 2.0 to 5.1. Some movies I had occasionally produced weird sound artifacts in the rears that temporarily ruined the experience. For music my sub just seemed redundant and even muddied the sound.

In the end I built a pair of high end of floor standers (TJL 3 ways). The frequency response goes low enough for me (useful material down to 40Hz). The sound stage and imaging is so good I cannot see how a center speaker could add anything.

In my new place I may go to 2.1 using small fronts for asthetic reasons.

I guess my point is your use (music, movies, both?) and room size are huge factors. I would recommend you give this due consideration as it may be more important than the brand or total number of speakers.

Just my thoughts...

#32 ·
David is right on when he says, "You really will get a number of answers in reagards to this. It all really comes does to what you like." For me 9.2 is wonderful even in my smaller 16 x 20 living room. When I watch movies like Transformers where the sound moves up, down, left, right, backwards, forwards, and all around even 9.2 is not enough, I am waiting for someone to make a real 11.2 AVR or preamp so I can get even more surround effects whirling around in my living room!!

#35 ·
Is there a reason that my post disappeared?

#37 ·
Just when I thought I was going to get some Polk AUdio Monitor 70s or Klipsch KF-26 I read this article and learn bookshelves can be comparable to floorstanding! I won't be buying a sub for a while so towers may be my best option. But now I found Axiom bookshelfs for about the same price as the towers I was looking at....

...I hate decisions.

#39 ·
I use a PSB Imagine s for the surrounds. It allows me to change configurations from Monopole, bipole and dipole. I have found dipole to be great. The forward facing speakers are still directional and the rear facing speakers are in dipole mode- so creating an immersive effect. I am able to localize left or right surround but it is subtle compared to a direct speaker. Definitely try dipole for an enveloping effect.

#40 ·
okay I have a question what about speaker size? so if you have a good subwoofer does the rest of the channels matter in terms of speaker size? so for example I am looking at 5.25" 6.5" and 8" speaker configurations, would there be a huge difference in sound between the three? the 5.25" and 6.5" are similar in price on a lot of different brands but when you look at 8" there is a decent jump in price so I would like to know is there a benifit to the 8" or should I save my money and get smaller and in which case then it comes down to between the 5.25 and 6.5? Thanks guys for your time and explanation.

#41 ·
Speaker size is less important these days especially if you're setting up home theater. I don't have any specs handy but the mid range freqs. between most 5.25-8 would be pretty close anyway. Depending on cost I'd go with 8" if you can, they're a very diverse speaker as they're right in the middle of small to large. It might be helpful to know what speakers you're looking at and maybe your room setup. I've got a pair of Klipsch RP-5's up front which have an 8 inch mid with a horn and a built in 12" powered sub in each tower. They're paired with a RC 35 which has dual 6.5's and a horn and I can't tell a big difference between the 8 and 6.5. The RC 35 is a little higher range but it mostly carries vocals anyway.

#42 ·
Daniel, With advanced speaker design these days the only way to answer your question is to audition, audition, audition for the sound that sounds right to you. I have two subs and still want to hear bass from my speakers especially the front left/right and center channel so I would look for something that can go to about 35hz . Then you can let your room correction software set your crossover levels or you can manipulate them yourself to take advantage of the capabilities of your speakers. To my way of thinking the subs are there to primarily handle the lfe channel, Their ability to handle everything else your other speakers can't handle is a bonus. I would look for speakers that deliver the most bass you can afford so your sound field is as realistic as possible and let the subs handle primarliy the low frequency effects.

#43 ·
Well Im working for a company now that I can get 60% off on Klipsch speakers so Im looking at their Reference line and at speakers with a retail price point under $500 to then apply the discount to, so would you say their 6.5 for the center, 8s for the fronts, and then what 6.5 for the rest of the setup? how about their surround style speakers, Im still learning a lot about speakers and placement and so forth so much to learn ^^;; but Im enjoying it =)

#44 ·
I would go with the RF-7 for the front l/r the RC-64 for center and the RS-62 for the surrounds unless your room can handle towers for surrounds then I would go with the largest that will fit. If you want to stay at $500 retail then go with the biggest your budget allows. Definitely towers for the fronts, and surrounds if your room will stand it if not the largest surrounds your budget allows. If you could go the the 10s in the front and the biggest center you can then go with smaller surrounds I would do that since the surrounds only deliver background sound and your front and center do the heavy lifting and dialog. You will really appreciate the 10s for stereo audio listening if you do a lot of music only!! If this is your first Home Theater I would start with 5.1 if that means you can get the 10s for the fronts. You can always add more surrounds later.

#45 ·
as beautiful as the RF-7 and RC-64 are those are just way to much for what I make and my budget and I dont have room for floor standing speakers but I was told in terms of movies viewing thats not as critical so I was thinking

(1) RC-62 for center
(2) RB-81

now as for sides and rear, is there a big difference between I think they are called bi-polar speakers and just single direction speaker? would you go bipolar in the rear, single direction for the sides, or go bipolar on rear and sides, or say it doesnt matter save the money and go single direction? I guess it might depend on room size if you should use bipolar or single?

#46 ·
The bookshelf Klipsch speakers put out amazing sound, but I always thought they were overpriced for what they are and went with towers for the rear instead, but if space is an issue it may be your only option. RB 81's are 400 each? Ouch! I bought a used pair of RP-3's for rear for 500 including shipping, and shipping wasn't cheap at 75 ibs. apiece. They'd make good fronts though if space is an issue, just a little pricey. They have older RB's, might be a better option, or just buy the front speakers now and then piece the rest in later when you have more funds. That's what I did anyway. No way I could buy everything at once. RP-5's I bought first, then an RC-35, then RP-3's, then a KSW-15 (very hard to find now), then replaced my older receiver with a new Pioneer Elite VSX-53 7.1 receiver. Then a 3D TV, on and on and on, it never ends! I still need to replace side surrounds with Klipscch. And then there's the upstairs room...no Klipsch up there yet...

#47 ·
well I get 60% off their listed price so I can get two RB 81 for under $400, but yeah Im going to get a new 3d TV since I have an alright surround sound system now and then start getting them in piece by piece, just getting an idea of what to look for and expect a head of time.

#48 ·
That's an amazing deal, too bad you can't go with anything larger. The RF 82's would be nice and near the same money. I think the RF 7's aren't produced any more? Maybe go larger and plan on moving soon lol!? You'll still need a good sub to add in. There's plenty of them on eBay a 10, or 12 would be more than enough is space is an issue. Maybe even an 8 would work.

#49 ·
well I already have a certified THX 12" front firing sub thats holding its own so Im good there.

#50 ·
The RB81s and RC62 are perfectly matched and will sound great. For surrounds I would go with the bipolar RS52s as they will give your side and rear sound field a much wider sound stage. Klipsch included the RS52s in their Home Theater combos but if you want to reduce expense you could go with the RS42s, or the RS52s for side and the RS42 for rear. If you want to take things in steps I would go with 5.1 using the RS52s first and then if you feel you need/want more sound field then you can add the rears at a later time when you have more money. Can't wait to hear how you like the sound, I think it is going to be awesome!!

#51 ·
well scratch that they just gave me details on the 60% I cant buy it piece by piece I have to buy one of their pre-configured surround sound sets. So with that in mind I will probably go for the RF-82 II Home Theater System (which has full towers) since oddly enough the other version that uses the bookshelf version of those speakers that set actually cost more o_O so yeah once I have that saved up it will be what I go for.

http://www.klipsch.com/rf-82-ii-home-theater-system

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.