10 Horror Movies from 2013 to Watch This Halloween - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 31 Old 10-22-2013, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
10 Horror Movies from 2013 to Watch This Halloween

Halloween is just around the creepy corner, which means many of you are well underway with horror marathons and testing out how much your bass adds to the scare-factor. You may have a list of your usual must-watch movies during this time of year, but in case you're tired of the same head turning a three-sixty, here's a list of 10 horror movies from this past year that are worth your attention.

If you're the kind of person who needs to a spare pair of pants on hand for the scary stuff, don't worry - there's something on here for everybody. Or just go watch The Nightmare Before Christmas. You'll find no judgments here.

The Conjuring

Synopsis: Paranormal investigators Ed and Lorraine Warren work to help a family terrorized by a dark presence in their farmhouse. (112 mins.)

Recently reviewed by AVS's own Ralph Potts, The Conjuring ended up being a box office hit and a critical darling. The TV commercials were reason enough to bring a spare pair of pants to the theaters.

Dark Skies

Synopsis: As the Barret family's peaceful suburban life is rocked by an escalating series of disturbing events, they come to learn that a terrifying and deadly force is after them. (97 mins.)

If you want to watch good-girl Kerri Russell completely mortified and distressed, then you should see this movie. Plus, demonized children are always a great scare tactic.

Evil Dead

Synopsis: Five friends head to a remote cabin, where the discovery of a Book of the Dead leads them to unwittingly summon up demons living in the nearby woods. The evil presence possesses them until only one is left to fight for survival. (91 mins.)

Decently reviewed and a box office success, this is sort of a no-brainer for Halloween. Just make sure you can handle blood. A lot of it.

Mama

Synopsis: Annabel and Lucas are faced with the challenge of raising his young nieces that were left alone in the forest for 5 years.... but how alone were they? (100 mins.)

Jessica Chastain helped this movie become a critical and box office success, which means it's worth watching - and what better time than the present Halloween season? None.

The Purge

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90

Synopsis: In the future, a wealthy family is held hostage for harboring the target of a murderous syndicate during the Purge, a 12-hour period in which any and all crime is legalized. (85 mins.)

Starring Ethan Hawke and Lena Headey, this movie might've bombed with the critics, but with a running time of 85 minutes, can you really go wrong? Sneak it in your Halloween marathon.

World War Z

Synopsis: United Nations employee Gerry Lane traverses the world in a race against time to stop the Zombie pandemic that is toppling armies and governments, and threatening to destroy humanity itself. (116 mins.)

You can't go wrong with zombies for Halloween, and why not watch the biggest zombie movie of 2013? This one is sure to test your home theater bass. See it in 3D for extra squirming.

The Last Exorcism Part II

Synopsis: As Nell Sweetzer tries to build a new life after the events of the first movie, the evil force that once possessed her returns with an even more horrific plan. (88 mins.)

Although the critics panned it, this movie is not for the light of heart. It won't strike you the way The Exorcist is known to, but for the purposes of watching a new movie this Halloween, it certainly suffices.

Now You See Me

Synopsis: An FBI agent and an Interpol detective track a team of illusionists who pull off bank heists during their performances and reward their audiences with the money. (115 mins.)

Sure, this isn't your standard "OMG BEHIND YOU" horror movie, but if you're looking for something clever and surprising (or you have family or friends who aren't into true horror), you should watch this.

Stoker

Synopsis: After India's father dies, her Uncle Charlie, who she never knew existed, comes to live with her and her unstable mother. She comes to suspect this mysterious, charming man has ulterior motives and becomes increasingly infatuated with him. (99 mins.)

Influenced by Hitchcockian themes and critically admired, here's your super weird movie for Halloween.

The Lords of Salem

Synopsis: Heidi, a radio DJ, is sent a box containing a record -- a "gift from the Lords." The sounds within the grooves trigger flashbacks of her town's violent past. Is Heidi going mad, or are the Lords back to take revenge on Salem, Massachusetts? (101 mins.)

Directed by Rob Zombie, so this will creep you out and give you nightmares. Enough said.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 10-24-2013, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 75
You included something as mundane as "World War Z" And you didn't include "<a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&amp;linkCode=ur2&amp;camp=17 89&amp;creative=9325&amp;tag=avsforum_vs-20&amp;location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fgp%2 Fredirect.html%3Fie%3DUTF8%26linkCode%3Dur2%26camp %3D1789%26creative%3D9325%26tag%3Davsforum_vs-20%26location%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.amazon.com% 252FManiac-Blu-ray-Elijah-Wood%252Fdp%252FB00DPUB57Y%252Fref%253Dsr_1_1%253F s%253Dmovies-tv%2526ie%253DUTF8%2526qid%253D1382653873%2526sr%2 53D1-1%2526keywords%253Dmaniac" target="_blank">Maniac</a>"? List invalid!

post #3 of 31 Old 10-24-2013, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Not bad of a list but it also needs V/H/S2.

October HorrorFest Participant
post #4 of 31 Old 10-24-2013, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I actually seem to be in the minority in that I thought V/H/S2 was worse than the first 1.<br><br>Another horror flick that seems to be going under the radar lately is the new Chucky movie! The Curse of Chucky. I haven't seen it yet but it has gotten good reviews.

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #5 of 31 Old 10-24-2013, 04:18 PM

Liked: 24
Keep up the suggestions guys, and maybe AVS will post a guide for "Member Recommended Scary Movies". Include your reasons for why they should be included and you might get quoted. Channel that indignation! <br>
post #6 of 31 Old 10-24-2013, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

I choose VHS2 because as far as I am concerned the guys that made this film lead the 'found footage' sub genre in horror movies. The last two shorts had tension, wtf moments and shear terror with the last abduction short. I know it isn't for everyone but this film made an impression on me which is difficult to do.<br><br>I will ask some guys on the Halloween thread to get their input.

post #7 of 31 Old 10-24-2013, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 36
That figures... I have a nasty habit of sometimes giving up on somethings too soon! I gave up on VHS2 during the mass suicide scene at the school. I just wasn't into the film at all up to that point and that last scene just seemed to corny to me. I'll give it another shot (no pun intended.) <br><br>The zombie short was kinda corny I guess also. It all just seemed more like an intentionally home made video as opposed to actual found footgae of actual events if you know what I mean.

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #8 of 31 Old 10-24-2013, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

The Jim Jones short throw me for a loop. I did like the Ride in the Park short but that Abduction one was scary. The abduction sub genre just scares the heck out of me, like Dark Skies.<br><br>But hey I enjoy horror movies like Halloween III so I do like some 'dogs' in the horror genre and that is why I like about this genre because there is something of everyone.

post #9 of 31 Old 10-24-2013, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Good call on Stoker. Not something I think as a Halloween movie but something you should watch if you're into things that are Hitchcock influenced or Hitchcock himself.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #10 of 31 Old 10-24-2013, 09:43 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
The new Chucky movie was good. World War Z was a dissapointment. <br>

Klipsch RF-82II

Denon 2113ci

post #11 of 31 Old 10-25-2013, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 167
I like the list. I wasn't aware that "Now You See Me" was anything other than a heist thriller (that opinion is just based on the previews, I haven't seen it), but now you've piqued my curiosity. Thanks for keeping people talking about horror!

"I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND!!!" - Barton Fink
post #12 of 31 Old 10-25-2013, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 723
<a href="http://www.avsforum.com/t/1068270/october-fun-31-days-of-horror-blood-guts-and-gore-and-zombies-too">I sure wish there was a place where cool people posted horror movie stuff.</a>
post #13 of 31 Old 10-25-2013, 10:32 AM

Liked: 11
Ow wow i'm excited reading this list because i plan on saturday night to watch Lords of Salem and the Conjuring, back-to-back
post #14 of 31 Old 10-25-2013, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 371
how is it "now you see me" included in the list? It's far from horror (although I absolutely love the movie and its eye and ear candies.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #15 of 31 Old 10-25-2013, 02:27 PM

I really liked 'now you see me', but seriously... Horror?  That movie has absolutely nothing at all to do with the horror genre.  That'd be like me creating a top ten 2013 Children's Movie list and including VHS2.. Which by the way was pretty decent..  :)<br>
post #16 of 31 Old 10-27-2013, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 40
Lords of Salem was pretty creeppy; i dvred mama. Now You See Me was a good thriller. World War Z was the best zombie movie since Dawn of the Dead reboot. Good list AVS Forum. Can't wait until next year.
post #17 of 31 Old 10-27-2013, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

After watching a bunch of horror movies this month, The Conjuring and V/H/S2 were stand outs, the A/V in The Conjuring was superior for a horror film on BD.

post #18 of 31 Old 10-28-2013, 08:33 AM

Liked: 24
I completely agree with the majority about "Now You See Me" not being a true horror movie, but - oddly enough - it kept showing up when browsing through horror titles from 2013. It's too good of a movie to brush off if I could <em>technically</em> squeeze it in. Plus, I stand by making it a buffer movie between the truly horrifying ones, or watching it as a family.<br> <br>Thanks everyone for commenting and suggesting more titles! Hopefully this list gives folks some good screams this year. :-)<br>
post #19 of 31 Old 10-28-2013, 04:52 PM

Somehow, lol, I got to see a few of these. Of the ones I've seen, I rank 1) The Conjuring 2) Mama and 3) Dark Skies.<br><br>Other 2013 movies, I've also seen Warm Bodies, Haunting in Connecticut GA Ghosts, Warm Bodies and Texas Chainsaw 3D. And none of those belong on this list. Now I did buy Skinwalker Ranch, out on the 30th. Hope its good. <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-dgQwP-miQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-dgQwP-miQ</a>
post #20 of 31 Old 10-28-2013, 04:55 PM

That second Warm Bodies was supposed to be Hanzel and Grettel Witch Hunters, multitasking.
post #21 of 31 Old 10-28-2013, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
How could any Chucky movie be called "good?" Stupid maybe, but NOT good. Most of the so-called horror movies made today are just "rehashes" of what's been done before, with more blood and gore but way less intelligent story-telling.

William R. Moore
post #22 of 31 Old 10-28-2013, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 333
How about Criterion's spooky haunted house classic "The Uninvited" on Blu-ray? Modern horror films (well, just about any genre nowadays) tend to rely on heavy sensory shocks, gore, and other hit-you-over-the-head-with-a-2x4 stimuli. They forget the basic fundamentals of what really makes you scared. Though a bit more campy, how about a John Carpenter Blu-ray triple-header of "Halloween," "The Fog," and "Prince of Darkness?" Though not being released until November, there's also the creepy and brooding "Nosferatu" Blu-ray restoration from Kino. The eerie cinematography and Max Schreck's spidery vampire-creature are enough to keep you up late!

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #23 of 31 Old 10-28-2013, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Oh, one last thing... and it's based on my opinion... the only reason that I screamed while watching "Now You See Me" was when I realized I wasted $3 renting that piece of ----. Yes, the screenplay was so poor, it was scary. Now back to your regular Halloween movie list.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #24 of 31 Old 10-28-2013, 07:12 PM

Actually not much gore in some of these movies, the ones I've seen aren't slasher flicks. And not much over the top antics either. The Conjuring, IMO, is a Gold Standard for modern horror.
post #25 of 31 Old 10-28-2013, 08:47 PM

Liked: 10
"Mama"? Are you kidding? Yes, Jessica Chastain is good in it, but since she is in every other movie made these days, you don't have to watch this to see her.<br><br>I guess this had to be included since you had to pick movies only made in 2013. But c'mon, this is hardly a great horror movie. It is a bit boring, moves slowly, and doesn't really have anything terribly original in it. I caught it on one of the pay cable channels recently, and I'm glad I didn't waste any money at a theater to see it. It certainly doesn't warrant a purchase, as there is no reason to see it more than once.
post #26 of 31 Old 10-28-2013, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
How about the seventies version of "Dracula" starring Frank Langella? Now THERE is a horror movie!

William R. Moore
post #27 of 31 Old 10-28-2013, 10:18 PM

I like The Entity for an older movie and probably one of 3 people that like The Fourth Kind of the newer movies.
post #28 of 31 Old 10-29-2013, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 723
post #29 of 31 Old 10-29-2013, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
"Now You See Me" is insultingly bad. Do not watch movies that assume you're an idiot.
post #30 of 31 Old 10-30-2013, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

I loved the Forth Kind and all of the abduction subgenre of Horror movies. @ Dan, I watch John Carpenter flicks every year like Halloween, Prince of Darkness, The Thing etc. Ones from the 90's are good too like Jacobs Ladder and The Exorcist III.

Reply AVS Articles

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page