Best Blu-rays for Your Valentine's Day Date Night - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-07-2014, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Best Blu-rays for Your Valentine's Day Date Night

Whether you're looking for the right movie to watch on Valentine's Day, or you just need a good date night chick flick that won't make you regurgitate your popcorn, here's a list of romantic movies that might bring even the stoniest man to the edge of tears.

About Time

Synopsis: At the age of 21, Tim discovers he can travel in time and change what happens and has happened in his own life. His decision to make his world a better place by getting a girlfriend turns out not to be as easy as you might think.

From the creator of Notting Hill, Love Actually and Four Weddings and a Funeral, this is far from a conventional romantic comedy it will win you over with its wit, heart and charming performances.

Casablanca

Synopsis: Set in unoccupied Africa during the early days of World War II: An American expatriate meets a former lover, with unforeseen complications.

It’s a classic that needs no introduction and is a timeless and romantic bit of escapism that goes great with a glass of wine and good company on Valentines Day.

How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days

Synopsis: Benjamin Barry is an advertising executive and ladies' man who, to win a big campaign, bets that he can make a woman fall in love with him in 10 days. Andie Anderson covers the "How To" beat for "Composure" magazine and is assigned to write an article on "How to Lose a Guy in 10 days." They meet in a bar shortly after the bet is made.

This is a light hearted and entertaining romantic comedy that doesn't break new ground but remains lots of fun and and is among my favorite guilty pleasures.

Love Actually

Synopsis: Follows the lives of eight very different couples in dealing with their love lives in various loosely and interrelated tales all set during a frantic month before Christmas in London, England.

Being a bit of a romantic I enjoy the film's whimsical scale and overt message about love and the humorous and bittersweet consequences for anyone lucky (or unlucky) enough to be under its spell.

Moulin Rouge

Synopsis: A poet falls for a beautiful courtesan whom a jealous duke covets in this stylish musical, with music drawn from familiar 20th century sources.

I love it for its thematic romance, wonderfully drawn characters, fantastical imagery, and superb infusion of modern pop music set to the debauchery, bohemianism, and edgy artistry depicted in the majestic world of its subject.

My Big Fat Greek Wedding

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 98

Synopsis: A young Greek woman falls in love with a non-Greek and struggles to get her family to accept him while she comes to terms with her heritage and cultural identity.

Taking a page from her own family's story Nia Vardalos paints a genuinely entertaining and heartwarming romantic portrait that reminds us that we should all be so loved.

The Notebook

Synopsis: A poor and passionate young man falls in love with a rich young woman and gives her a sense of freedom. They soon are separated by their social differences.

A little clichéd I know but what Valentines Day list would be complete without this endearing and classic love story?

Silver Linings Playbook

Synopsis: After a stint in a mental institution, former teacher Pat Solitano moves back in with his parents and tries to reconcile with his ex-wife. Things get more challenging when Pat meets Tiffany, a mysterious girl with problems of her own.

Offbeat but thoroughly deserving of inclusion thanks to a wonderfully crafted love story and top notch performances.

Warm Bodies

Synopsis: After a highly unusual zombie saves a still-living girl from an attack, the two form a relationship that sets in motion events that might transform the entire lifeless world.

Who says that love is just for the living? This is a quirky comedy/romance hybrid that combines an age old theme with a little zombie blood letting, resulting in a surprisingly charming film that doesn’t take itself too seriously.

Flipped

Synopsis: Two eighth graders start to have feelings for each other despite being total opposites. Based on the novel "Flipped" by Wendelin Van Draanen.

A delightful coming of age romance with an endearing and timeless appeal that takes us back to an age of innocence.

Moonrise Kingdom

Synopsis: A pair of young lovers flee their New England town, which causes a local search party to fan out and find them.

Among my favorite film’s of 2012 It’s artful (without being pretentious), adventurous and romantically charming with a purposefully elevated level of deadpan humor that while in your face never seems overplayed.

The Proposal

Synopsis: A pushy boss forces her young assistant to marry her in order to keep her Visa status in the U.S. and avoid deportation to Canada.

Thoroughly conventional but strikes the right romantic chords to qualify as an enjoyable chick flick.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2014, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
As a mature senior movie lover, I've got lots of great movies under my belt. Thought the younger generation would like a list of some older wonderful romantic movies. Hope you give them a chance and enjoy..<br>Wayne Bruce<br>l. Picnic - with Wm Holden and Kim Novak - one of the sexiest dances in film history and they keep their clothes on. ha<br>2. Fanny - with Leslie Caron and Maurice Chavlier - this movie will melt your heart.<br>3.Ryan's Daughter - Robert Mitchum in a role like no others.<br>4. Cinema Paradiso - a wonderful little film - if you love movies - a must see.<br>5. Fandango - Kevin Costner's earlier film. lots of laughs and filled with love.<br>6. Body Heat - Wm Hurt and Kathleen Turner - burn up the screen. who said Love can't be Super Hot.<br>Well, anyway- hope you check out some of the above. Let me know what you think.
Old 02-08-2014, 01:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Great choices, Ralph. I especially loved Moulin Rouge. Such a weird movie, but with a very compelling love story. The only one I would add to the list is "The Vow" with Channing Tatum and Rachel McAdams.

Old 02-08-2014, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 100
I will add Sweet Home Alabama and 2nd Moulin Rouge. Who knew Obi-Wan Kenobi could sing?

Lowell

The MARVELous Home Theater: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html
Old 02-08-2014, 09:25 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 661
Great stuff guys! Keep them coming....

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Old 02-09-2014, 09:23 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 14
EDtv is one of the funniest movies of all time, IMO.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm going to suggest an obvious title - Titanic<br>And another not so obvious - Natural Born Killers - There is a live story here, my wife and I have watched on Valentine's Day for years. I guess this one would be for those who are not quite your average couple.

Pain Gauge - my electro-industrial music project

Old 02-09-2014, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Just watched Enchanted with the kids. It's a pretty great rom com.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Some good picks. I would have to throw in "The Holiday", "High Fidelity" and a true classic "The Apartment"

Old 02-10-2014, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Love this list.  As I get older, I realize the "stigma" associated with men watching "chick flicks" <em>doesn't actually exist</em>--it's one we ,as men, create for ourselves individually, based on what we feel society expects of us.  A good movie is a good movie.  I think <em>Silver Linings Playbook</em> is one of the greatest movies of the decade.  <em>About Time</em> seems very interesting; I'll be sure to pick it up for us to watch on V-Day weekend. (This is my first Valentines day as a married man :-) )  I'll be adding quite a few of these to my collection.<br> <br>Great list!  Thanks Ralph.<br>
Old 02-10-2014, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Throwin' in "When Harry Met Sally" and "Amelie." Both are pretty good BDs. Amelie is especially vibrant.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 292
For those in the mood for the unconventional - I recommend Harold and Maude. You'll never look at seppuku the same way again.

Looky here!
Old 02-11-2014, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Good choices. Other unconventional love stories to consider: "Wrist-cutters", "In July" (or "Im Juli", it's original German title), and "Before Sunrise".

Old 02-11-2014, 02:07 PM

Liked: 10
If "When Harry Met Sally" should be included then so too should "You've Got Mail". Frankly, both are great to watch with your SO.

Thousands of experiments have conclusively proven that beating drums and clashing cymbals brings back the sun after a total eclipse.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:23 PM

Liked: 11
<i>Choose Me.</i> Offbeat, stylish, witty. Great 1950s saxophone jazz. Clever dialog; they paid the writers on this one. Poses multiple questions: Which woman will handsome Keith Carradine pick? Does John Larroquette stand a chance? And what about that contemptible criminal type?
Old 02-12-2014, 08:46 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Great list, Ralph! Own a few, have seen a few others, have missed some and look forward to seeing them with the missus. Fan of "Love Actually," "Moulin Rouge," and, most recently, "Silver Linings Playbook." Also a fan of "The Holiday," mentioned by JewDaddy here. My contribution: "the Devil Wears Prada," the wife and I can't get enough of that one!
Old 02-12-2014, 09:49 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 661
Greetings,<br><br>Thanks for the excellent recommendations everyone...<br><br>Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Old 02-14-2014, 02:37 PM

Liked: 10
The wife and I cozy up around Valentine's Day to "Princess Bride" and "Willow". We both like "Silver Linings Playbook" and second nod to "High Fidelity". "The Notebook" is played quite often along with "Bed of Roses" when we can get a quiet evening.