AVS Forum banner

A Theater Is Just Is Not A Theater, Unless You Have Popcorn

7K views 49 replies 36 participants last post by  NorthSky 
#1 ·

So there you have it; your new home theater (or Home Cinema) all ready to go. You have the room built just like you would like it, all the new equipment is now installed, and you want to have that first movie party. But wait! Something is missing. Where is the popcorn?

When Brenda and I were planning our theater, we made sure popcorn of some sort was on the list. Ok, sure, it was made with a microwave and came in a bag. But come on, we all have to start somewhere right? Even our theater gear was like that. I started out long ago with a 52” Rear projection TV and a Dolby Digital Pro-Logic receiver. But the popcorn just could not be left out. So, as mentioned, we went out and bought a small popcorn machine (Aka Microwave) that would fit on shelf along with the small, collage type, refrigerator. There were had it, in all it’s limited glory, a snack bar ready for opening night.

Over the last few years with our Home Cinema, things changed. The room started to take on a look and feel that is needed to make the movie experience just that, an experience. We started looking for items here and their that would add to the cinema. Wall art, trays, sculptures, a marquee, poster frames, and even a “Now Playing” case stand. It is items like these that just add to your room. We found some of the items locally, but most were found on-line in the great electronic shopping mall we call the Internet.

Ok so you are that the point you are looking for something to make your cinema more of an experience. So let me see if I can be of help with locating some items you may desire.

First and foremost, you need to set the movie mood and how better to do that than add posters to your entrance way or in your room? A place with a very large selection of posters can be found at http://www.AllPosters.com . You will find past and upcoming movie posters to fit any taste. But remember you will need something to put these little mood setters in. Some of you may want to display them in just a standard snap-in frame, but for that special entranceway, you may just want a lit frame with the chase lights you see in actual movie Cineplex’s. For the frames, check out Home Theater Express ( http://www.ht-express.com ) and Home Theatre Interiors ( http://hometheatreinteriors.com ). You will find a large selection of different types at all price ranges.

It is hard to just point you to those sites for just poster frames, for you will see they sell other items that can help transform your room into a cinema. There is such a selection of items to choose from to help you in your quest. From wall art, the “Artisan Director Cut” is my favorite, to even soda fountains; you will find all kind of items for your needs. However, you may not want to forget that one little item, that DVD “Now Playing” marquee. For that and yet more unique items, be sure to stop in at Stargate Cinema ( http://www.stargatecinema.com ). They also have a selection of items and even a 3D poster frame that is backlit.

But let’s get back to what is really important shall we? Popcorn! It is that special smell that will really get the experience going for your guest as soon as they walk into your home. It can be microwave popcorn, air popped, or the best way, with a nifty and great looking actual popcorn machine. There is nothing like an actual popcorn machine to set the mood with not only that special smell, but also give that extra room appeal with the look that only it can provide.

There are a lot of popcorn machines out in the market. They come in different sizes and, of course, with different options. 4 oz., 6 oz, and 8 oz. are the units usually used in the home. You can find them in an antique look or even modern with a neon sign. They are made to go right on a counter top or you can add a popcorn cart to the unit so it can stand on it’s own. No matter what you choose, you will find that the addition of a machine like this will add to your cinema and make it something even more special.

But one of the best parts of the popcorn machines is that they are a synch to use because you purchase pre-measured popcorn packets. These packets include the oil (in many different styles from corn to sunflower); the salt, and of course the pre-measured popcorn. It is as easy as heat, poor, pop, and serve. Speaking of serving, you also of course can buy the same popcorn buckets or bags you received at your local movie house. Thus again even adding more to the “affect”. But wait, there’s more! You could go as far as even picking up one of the “fake butter” dispensers. That’s right, “squirt”, “squirt” onto the popcorn the same “butter” that you again enjoy in your local theater. Boy, are we talking some good fun now. In case you did not notice, the above-mentioned sites also carry the items I just spoke about…so enjoy your browsing.

All in all your personal home theater, cinema, is what you make it. You can do as little or as much as you care. Remember always though, this room was your dream, your vision, so be sure to make as such.

See less See more
#34 ·
David Bott said:
So there you have it; your new home theater (or Home Cinema) all ready to go. You have the room built just like you would like it, all the new equipment is now installed, and you want to have that first movie party. But wait! Something is missing. Where is the popcorn?

Indeed.......I went to visit a friend @ this theater in my area yesterday and MAN THE POPCORN SMELL... I wanted to get some but I didnt!!!

Ya know something guys??

I didnt realise the movie theater DOES NOT GET ANYTHING REALLY FROM THE TICKETS THEY SELL!! (They have to give it to the movie people)

I couldnt believe it....... I now understand why they charge so much for food there!! (They make hardily anything from the ticket)

#39 ·
I don't let popcorn (or much other food) in my room. The fabric panels and carpet would just absorb the smell. Plus, people are messy. I also wouldn't want shiny or rattly things in the theater. But, I never eat popcorn at commercial theaters either.

#44 ·
Cool thread. :cool:

* A movie is an experience, and there are no laws and rules and what type of food we eat and games we play before and after.
The movie itself is the entertainment, the transformation. ...@ home it's more relaxing, easier to concentrate, to absorb, to rewind, to stretch, to set up things right.

If the movie made an impact, that's all what matters @ the movies, wherever it is. ...Any which theater near you. ...Or right @ home.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.