post #61 of 62 Old 07-17-2014, 05:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobius View Post
I’m more concerned with the encoding side than how they market the resolution per se. Boy, HDMI sure is the gift that keeps on giving ain't it? I wish the industry would drive a stake thru HDMI’s dark heart and burn it to the ground. Let the conflagration be seen beyond the horizon.

I don’t say that willy nilly either because all of my equipment is HDMI equipped. But HDMI has been a crap standard from the beginning. Its physical connection spec is crap; and trying to distribute the signal across the home is a nightmare.
Honestly, other than some handshaking issues from crap cables in the early days, HDMI has performed fine. Buying good cables (read: quality, not necessarily expensive) have pretty much eliminated those issues for me.

My only gripe as been with the connector: it's too small with no locking option like DVI and VGA cables. As a result you have a fragile connector that doesn't take into account cable thickness and weight or the direction a port points (down, to the side, etc) on a device. I've had existing cables pop out (or partially pop out) of ports when adding additional devices. It's very annoying to connect a new device, only to have an older one stop working because a cable unseated itself.

Further, I use heavy gauge cables in a lot of applications and I cringe at how the pull on the jacks of some devices.

My wish would be for a slightly beefier connection with screw or clip locks. With mini and micro HDMI available for smaller devices, there's no reason there couldn't be a bigger and better version for large devices like TVs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 62 Old 07-17-2014, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post
Honestly, other than some handshaking issues from crap cables in the early days, HDMI has performed fine. Buying good cables (read: quality, not necessarily expensive) have pretty much eliminated those issues for me.

My only gripe as been with the connector: it's too small with no locking option like DVI and VGA cables. As a result you have a fragile connector that doesn't take into account cable thickness and weight or the direction a port points (down, to the side, etc) on a device. I've had existing cables pop out (or partially pop out) of ports when adding additional devices. It's very annoying to connect a new device, only to have an older one stop working because a cable unseated itself.

Further, I use heavy gauge cables in a lot of applications and I cringe at how the pull on the jacks of some devices.

My wish would be for a slightly beefier connection with screw or clip locks. With mini and micro HDMI available for smaller devices, there's no reason there couldn't be a bigger and better version for large devices like TVs.
Well, all of my cables are 24awg monoprice. So is my 4x4 matrix switch. Not Gefen or Octava, but still. I have the usual issues of blanking or losing sync far too often. The connector design is what I was addressing really. It's junk imo. The fact that 4k might be gimped because of HDMI is highly disappointing. With no towards the future, it highlights how poorly HDMI has been designed and implemented.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a...
Reply Community Articles

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page