• 1 Post By fritzi93
  • 1 Post By Hagenstein

post #1 of 18 Old 08-10-2014, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 3
New guy here with some thoughts and observations

Being new to this forum and this being my first post I have been reading various questions and answers all day long. Seeing some of the vehement disagreements and outright war of words amazes me. Is not the enjoyment of music subjective? What sounds good to one may not sound good to another, but is it wrong? What difference does it make if one person enjoys a $20,000 Krell system, while another enjoys the sound of $1000 worth of Yamaha components? To see someone say that a $69 Wal-Mart special Blu ray player sounds as good as the $1500 OPPO unit, and the person buying that is just an idiot wasting money and compensating for personal shortcomings leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Nobody and no amount of audio test equipment can measure what the persons perception of the sound is. I have read arguments about CD players, amplifiers, distortion and just about everything else today. Experts of all genres and self-proclaimed audiophiles arguing over everything under the sun. There is a lot of fantastic information here, great ideas, limitless knowledge and brains to pick, but hearing is subjective. Ten different people will hear ten different things and what may be pleasing to one is harsh to another. I love this site and I love the knowledge available but wading through the quarrels is tiresome. Instead of coming together sharing ideas and the love of audio pursuits, I see a several people in d@#K measuring contests.
GeekWave, steve1106 and Nesstark88 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 08-11-2014, 02:39 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 40
As a lower end guy (cheap), I think it is kind of interesting to see what other people's "tastes" are...even if I could never imagine spending the big bucks....as long as they aren't insulting to the other forum member.

I made the mistake of calling my Yamaha R375 and Infinity bookshelf speakers a system only to be told it is not a "system", so lesson learned and I stay in my "lane" now....for the most part.
post #3 of 18 Old 08-14-2014, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 86
NADnut,pretty good post for a "Newbie".Steve, there are a lot of good people here. Don't be afraid of coming out of your "Lane". You have a system. When you have a opinion, express it.

Welcome to AVS, NADnut. Stick around. Lots to learn here.

(LCD - Sony KDL - XBR4) (Receiver - Sony STR-DA4ES)(Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83) (PS3)( Dish Hopper DVR With Sling) Speakers (L & R - Paradigm Studio 20) (Center -Paradigm CC-470) (Surrounds & Back Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15R in walls) (Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12) (Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100)
post #4 of 18 Old 08-15-2014, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Welcome to AVS, NADnut. Skytrooper is correct, there is a plethora of excellent info to be found here.

Steve
post #5 of 18 Old 08-15-2014, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thought I'd also say hi here for an intro. Not a musician or operator of AV tools, but I would like to learn a bit about them. Thanks.
post #6 of 18 Old 08-18-2014, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I think the only thing that's really bugging me right now is the incredibly distracting floating "Active Topics list" on the right hand side. Is there any way to make it static? I feel like I'm on a roller coaster.
post #7 of 18 Old 08-18-2014, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 136
^
Go into your User CP then to Settings, you can disable the sidebar from there & save your eyes. . .

Steve
post #8 of 18 Old 08-18-2014, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyingMyRide View Post
^
Go into your User CP then to Settings, you can disable the sidebar from there & save your eyes. . .
Fantastic! Thank you.
post #9 of 18 Old 08-18-2014, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Welcome to the Forum NADnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by NADnut View Post
... I love this site and I love the knowledge available but wading through the quarrels is tiresome. Instead of coming together sharing ideas and the love of audio pursuits, I see a several people in d@#K measuring contests.
I dunno...I try to keep it civil but keep in mind this is also a science forum and sometimes measurements matter regardless of ones subjective opinion...IMO, that's one of the things that keeps it from being a just a fanboy/sales site...

Otoh, there is an ignore feature and that may alleviate some of the posts you don't want to read. {Edit Note: I don't use that function because some of the most informed comments come from the most obnoxious members--Pun intended}

Last edited by Zen Traveler; 08-18-2014 at 02:07 PM.
post #10 of 18 Old 08-19-2014, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Great first post NADnut and welcome to the forums. That being said not everyone here start quarrels, in fact there are some great people on here. I know some of the arguments get heated and you have some that feel their opinions are the only ones that matters ect but it is what it is and you just have to overlook it. Again welcome aboard and enjoy everything these forums have to offer because you will learn a lot. I know I sure did!
post #11 of 18 Old 08-20-2014, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 3
Thank you all for the comments and suggestions. I love the knowledge and ideas here and really enjoy reading about other enthusiasts systems, thoughts and observations.
post #12 of 18 Old 08-24-2014, 05:35 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Traveler View Post
..I try to keep it civil but keep in mind this is also a science forum and sometimes measurements matter regardless of ones subjective opinion...
Yes. Subjectivity can't be the excuse to give just any old assertion a free pass. Not when it's possible to expose erroneous assumptions with analysis of pertinent data.

Not to belabor the point, but members are also quite capable of disagreeing about the relative importance of those objective measurements.

It would be nice if people behaved better, but it was ever thus.
steve1971 likes this.
post #13 of 18 Old 08-29-2014, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I think the heated nature of some of the discussions simply speaks in part to the passion many of us here have for {insert your favorite passion here}. Hmm, that didn't sound right did it?

I've been reading, enjoying, and learning from these forums for years and only recently started to take the time to step up to the plate and participate more actively. There's dozens of folks here I've never so much as said hello to but feel that I know quite well. It's a great forum and community. And yeah any community will have its share of Debbie Downers and Negative Nancy's but for every one of those there's several more that just want to have good conversation or learn. Stick around and enjoy the good, filter out the bad.
steve1971 likes this.
post #14 of 18 Old 09-29-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyingMyRide View Post
^
sweet, thanks
post #15 of 18 Old 11-10-2014, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Agree

I fully agree with this. When I was in my 20s/30s, I could much more easily hear the difference between gear. At that point in my life, it made a ton of sense to "buy better". I'm now approaching 50 and although I still have good hearing, it's not as good as it used to be. For ME, I can spend less and enjoy the same.

In hindsight, I wish I could've spent less and enjoyed more in the past. That would've been nice!

And yes, different people have different tastes even ignoring the physical abilities of their hearing.
post #16 of 18 Old 11-18-2014, 11:27 AM

Liked: 1
Collegues;

I know what I like and my system reflects that. (Classical music ) . Others have different tastes in music, art and literature, and their systems will reflect that. All I ask is that we bear that in mind and be civil to one another. Also that the engineers attempt to make recordings to sound as true to nature as the state of the art permits. For me that is 10th row center at Benaroya Hall.
post #17 of 18 Old 11-19-2014, 06:17 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Traveler View Post
Welcome to the Forum NADnut

I dunno...I try to keep it civil but keep in mind this is also a science forum and sometimes measurements matter regardless of ones subjective opinion...IMO, that's one of the things that keeps it from being a just a fanboy/sales site...
I would like to respectfully disagree (to a point). Obviously there are definitives.......a $200 speaker is going to have a really hard time competing with a $10,000 one. But this field is mainly a sensory one; how does this sound or look to YOU? I think THAT is the biggest issue on here. I considering the same as another objective topic guys like to discuss, actresses. Too many guys come on here claiming XXX brand is the best, YYY brand sucks. That's like saying Cameron Diaz is the prettiest girl in Hollywood. YOU may feel that way, but I find her utterly unappealing, to the point of disgust. I find Scarlett Johannson INFINITELY more attractive. I think we would probably both agree that either of them ($10,000 speaker) is more attractive than chick from Melissa McCarthy (the $200 speaker).

The TRUTH in your theater is determined by your EYES and EARS. Not how many specifications you can rattle off. Not in how much money your last piece of equipment cost. Not in your post count. The longer I'm here the better I understand why you all have to ask your wife for permission on what you're allowed to place in YOUR house.
post #18 of 18 Old 11-19-2014, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffHurt View Post
I would like to respectfully disagree (to a point). Obviously there are definitives.......a $200 speaker is going to have a really hard time competing with a $10,000 one. But this field is mainly a sensory one; how does this sound or look to YOU? I think THAT is the biggest issue on here. I considering the same as another objective topic guys like to discuss, actresses. Too many guys come on here claiming XXX brand is the best, YYY brand sucks. That's like saying Cameron Diaz is the prettiest girl in Hollywood. YOU may feel that way, but I find her utterly unappealing, to the point of disgust. I find Scarlett Johannson INFINITELY more attractive. I think we would probably both agree that either of them ($10,000 speaker) is more attractive than chick from Melissa McCarthy (the $200 speaker).

Umm--I'm not sure what you are disagreeing with. I agree that some folks get carried away with their brand recommendations as well as their view on speakers they don't like...That said, this is (started out) as the Audio Visual Science Forum and what makes it different (than other forums) is that there are a lot of informed discussion with folks who have a science background explaining their views along with numbers and was the point I was making.

Insofar as the hot chick analogy--Sorry you lost me but I agree anyone would be happy to have Scarlett Johannson hangin' with them, regardless if she had a science background. Heck, I'd even rather have her helping me pick electronics and speakers more than the most informed person posting in this Forum!
Reply Community Articles

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page