post #1 of 90 Old 01-02-2016, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 607
Audiophilia Upgraditus

Audiophilia Upgraditus

The purpose of this post is to raise awareness of a terminal condition which is sweeping most of the civilized world.

It predominantly affects middle aged men, although persons of any age or gender may be affected.

Early symptoms manifest themselves as follows. The victim will be unable to drive past a BestBuy outlet without “just popping in”. In the very early stages, the victim may even reappear empty-handed.

As the condition worsens, the victim will probably become quite reclusive. At the point where he starts to call one of the rooms in the house his “cave”, the condition has become irreversible.

It is at this point that the victim may be tested by the utterance of the word “Bose”. The word will induce a nervous twitch and, as the condition progresses, can cause heart failure and acts of extreme violence. Tests should only be carried out under competent medical and military supervision.

The visits to BestBuy will now result in large quantities of cardboard appearing outside the cave, and an increasing level of noise from within. The noise, if suitably attenuated, can be identified as music. Recommended attenuation is double hearing protection. Around 500 yards should be maintained between any observer and the source.

The victim will, in due course, cease the visits to BestBuy, but this should be seen for what it is; the progression of the condition. He will start to babble ceaselessly about high-end audio stores and seek to visit such establishments, armed with a Visa card and a rented truck. At this point, only symptomatic treatment is possible.

The symptoms may be temporarily treated by the administration of large quantities of single malt Scotch whisky as soon as the victim is seen to reach for his car keys. Asking “What was that piece of music you were playing last night?” may help, since it will usually result in a headlong rush to the cave, followed by a repetition of the afore-mentioned cacophony. On no account must the word “Bose” be mentioned, unless a SWAT team is on hand, especially if the victim has internet access and a forum membership.

Despite the severity of the condition, it is not generally contagious, although to some extent, it appears to be hereditary. Remarkably, the victim’s spouse is extremely unlikely to become affected.

Spoiler!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 90 Old 01-03-2016, 12:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJSteward View Post
Audiophilia Upgraditus

The purpose of this post is to raise awareness of a terminal condition which is sweeping most of the civilized world.

It predominantly affects middle aged men, although persons of any age or gender may be affected.

Early symptoms manifest themselves as follows. The victim will be unable to drive past a BestBuy outlet without “just popping in”. In the very early stages, the victim may even reappear empty-handed.

As the condition worsens, the victim will probably become quite reclusive. At the point where he starts to call one of the rooms in the house his “cave”, the condition has become irreversible.

It is at this point that the victim may be tested by the utterance of the word “Bose”. The word will induce a nervous twitch and, as the condition progresses, can cause heart failure and acts of extreme violence. Tests should only be carried out under competent medical and military supervision.

The visits to BestBuy will now result in large quantities of cardboard appearing outside the cave, and an increasing level of noise from within. The noise, if suitably attenuated, can be identified as music. Recommended attenuation is double hearing protection. Around 500 yards should be maintained between any observer and the source.

The victim will, in due course, cease the visits to BestBuy, but this should be seen for what it is; the progression of the condition. He will start to babble ceaselessly about high-end audio stores and seek to visit such establishments, armed with a Visa card and a rented truck. At this point, only symptomatic treatment is possible.

The symptoms may be temporarily treated by the administration of large quantities of single malt Scotch whisky as soon as the victim is seen to reach for his car keys. Asking “What was that piece of music you were playing last night?” may help, since it will usually result in a headlong rush to the cave, followed by a repetition of the afore-mentioned cacophony. On no account must the word “Bose” be mentioned, unless a SWAT team is on hand, especially if the victim has internet access and a forum membership.

Despite the severity of the condition, it is not generally contagious, although to some extent, it appears to be hereditary. Remarkably, the victim’s spouse is extremely unlikely to become affected.
Clearly you have only a very minor and weak version of this condition.
No Atmos / Auro setup, only 2 subs and no large screen projector.
Not a hardcore sufferer by AVS standards.

Last edited by catonic; 01-03-2016 at 04:44 AM.
post #3 of 90 Old 01-03-2016, 12:20 AM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 4588 Post(s)
Liked: 4777
LOL. The approach of the purple or brown or red white & blue delivery truck works for those of us who can't drop in a local store. After a while the guys delivering wonder just what the hell you got going in there, especially if they approach the door during something being played back at significant levels.

That single malt really helps sometimes, though.
ellisr63, Merlin521 and KJSteward like this.

post #4 of 90 Old 01-03-2016, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 288
The more serious cases may end up with Analog Induced Distortion Syndrome.
Merlin521 and KJSteward like this.
post #5 of 90 Old 01-03-2016, 01:34 PM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 4588 Post(s)
Liked: 4777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Derks View Post
The more serious cases may end up with Analog Induced Distortion Syndrome.
I like the thought but that acronym's in use already....maybe Analog Induced Digital Distortion Syndrome?
KJSteward likes this.
post #6 of 90 Old 01-03-2016, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1329 Post(s)
Liked: 716
Thank you. This description has helped me identify my problem and I have sought treatment.

The propagation of the symptoms was on a bit different curve for me, as all sufferers react differently to the infection. In my case, the Best Buy Phase was brief and progressed in one visit to High End Audio Dealer status.

I was prescribed a different course of medication to start however, as it was Single Barrel Kentucky Bourbon, followed by Small Batch Tennesee Rye and finally Single Malt Scotch Whisky. This has been the first night of treatment. What is recommended for follow-up?

Oh yes...I noticed that my last born is seriously infected, yet at 26 still far too young to be prescribed the medication as his body will reject it. And he works for the B-word place!!! Oh...what to do?? God save us.
KJSteward likes this.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758 receiver, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Sumiko Pearl, Bluesound Vault2, Sony BDP-S480 BlueRay player, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer.

Last edited by KenM10759; 01-03-2016 at 02:06 PM.
post #7 of 90 Old 01-04-2016, 05:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
I like the thought but that acronym's in use already....maybe Analog Induced Digital Distortion Syndrome?

That would be Analog Induced Distortion Denial Syndrome then.
lovinthehd and KenM10759 like this.
post #8 of 90 Old 01-04-2016, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 51
You totally failed to mention two other symptoms that are in fact diagnostic to the condition.
A) The accumulation of miles and miles of very pretty and VERY expensive wire cables that run from each piece of equipment to the next. Sometimes, in severe cases , the worth of these cables is far in excess of all the other components put together. Only the afflicted person will be able to discern any audible benefits to such hi tech cabling.
B) The patient will be seen to be holding a tape measure at all times. This will be to make in home and in store measurements in order to ensure dimensional suitability of components. The most severely affected will also be carrying a builders manual in case structural alterations are needed due to dimensional non compliance.
post #9 of 90 Old 01-04-2016, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Only joking about the cable. Please don't shoot.
KJSteward likes this.

Last edited by alexbarbel; 01-04-2016 at 09:16 AM. Reason: double post
post #10 of 90 Old 01-04-2016, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM10759 View Post
Thank you. This description has helped me identify my problem and I have sought treatment.

The propagation of the symptoms was on a bit different curve for me, as all sufferers react differently to the infection. In my case, the Best Buy Phase was brief and progressed in one visit to High End Audio Dealer status.

I was prescribed a different course of medication to start however, as it was Single Barrel Kentucky Bourbon, followed by Small Batch Tennesee Rye and finally Single Malt Scotch Whisky. This has been the first night of treatment. What is recommended for follow-up?

Oh yes...I noticed that my last born is seriously infected, yet at 26 still far too young to be prescribed the medication as his body will reject it. And he works for the B-word place!!! Oh...what to do?? God save us.

I am similarly infected. All above symptoms I have. No cure in sight. Wife occasionally forces temporary immunity with discussions of monies spent and those needing to be spent on children and food, but said immunity is temporary.
KJSteward and KenM10759 like this.
post #11 of 90 Old 01-04-2016, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked: 285
it starts to really get serious when you make plans to BUILD a new house so you can have an ideal, acoustically transparent room, just for your music and movies.

you know, no parallel walls, rooms built to allow tons of room treatment, diffuse side walls and anechoic front wall but a live back end.

it gets bad.

THANK YOU!!! for your selfless contribution to the audio world
Anders Torger for Brutefir
Thomas Drugeon for Rephase
John Mulcahy for room eq wizard
Denis Sbragion for DRC room correction
Juha Hartikainen for Winisd
post #12 of 90 Old 01-04-2016, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexbarbel View Post
Only joking about the cable. Please don't shoot.
Cables. What is this new attraction of which you speak?

As has already been pointed out, I am in the early stages of this condition. Not too early, because I'd already thought of taking a wall or two out as I was reading about making things fit. It seems so obvious that the house needs to bend to fit the equipment.
uniquepattern likes this.

Spoiler!
post #13 of 90 Old 04-07-2016, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Hello, my name is Jordan...

I have had this disease since I was young.

It started with an obsession @ 14 years old when I became involved in SPL Car Audio.

Over the last 20 years, the symptoms have become worse.

I tried to form a support group, but that failed horribly. Group meetings quickly turned into spirited listening sessions with measurment mics!

Trying to ignore the issue will only make it worse. As the available funds start to increase due to symptom avoidance, it quickly snaps into focus that there is more cash for better upgrades...

I can only imagine that one day things will get better... well, no.... but heres to wishful thinking!

Steve Crowley and KJSteward like this.
post #14 of 90 Old 04-07-2016, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1414 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJSteward View Post

Remarkably, the victim’s spouse is extremely unlikely to become affected.
Yup, unfortunately my wife has not been affected LOL!
KJSteward likes this.
post #15 of 90 Old 04-07-2016, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Sufferers reportedly have taken to dragging an air mattress out into the listening area so they can lie in the MLP and suffer the horrors of their affliction on a nightly basis. (well, at least this sufferer). This is sometimes related to symptoms reported by @KJSteward and @asere among others.
asere and KJSteward like this.

*My Budget Setup: Marantz SR-6008 Polk TSi200's front- Polk CS10 center - Polk T50's surround - Klipsch SUB12 - Denon DVD-1930CI - some crummy Sony Blu-Ray player - server running OpenElec - Android tablet used as general remote and Tidal interface - Samsung 42" LED*
post #16 of 90 Old 04-07-2016, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I'd forgotten about this thread. When I started it, it was more than somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but I have to report that the condition has worsened.

I have discovered vacuum tubes, cables and vintage audio. I now have a 2.0 pile of electronics as well as the original 7.2 mess.

Life is good, but getting expensive.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-04-03 at 7.56.57 PM.jpg
Views:	1269
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	1365218  
KenM10759 likes this.

Spoiler!
post #17 of 90 Old 04-08-2016, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Tom Waits speaks for the neighbors. From his song, "What's he building?"

Quote:
What's he building in there?
What the hell is he building
In there?
He has subscriptions to those
Magazines...
Quote:
What's he building in there?
With that hook light
On the stairs. What's he building
In there... I'll tell you one thing
He's not building a playhouse for
The children what's he building
In there?

Now what's that sound from under the door?
He's pounding nails into a
Hardwood floor... and I
Swear to god I heard someone
Moaning low... and I keep
Seeing the blue light of a
T.V. show...
He has a router
And a table saw...
KJSteward and 18Hurts like this.
post #18 of 90 Old 05-24-2016, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 9
It's very unfortunate. I think I'm developing this.
post #19 of 90 Old 05-25-2016, 03:31 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianhiggins View Post
It's very unfortunate. I think I'm developing this.
It's only unfortunate for your wallet.
post #20 of 90 Old 05-25-2016, 05:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

It's quite a persistent affliction though, and the only known cure (going deaf) is worse than the disease.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758 receiver, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Sumiko Pearl, Bluesound Vault2, Sony BDP-S480 BlueRay player, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer.
post #21 of 90 Old 05-27-2016, 01:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJSteward

In my opinion "AUDIOPHILE" means you want the BEST sound right?

WELL THE BEST/PUREST SOUND IS (AND ALWAYS WAS) ANALOGUE!!!!!!

Yes I consider myself to be an AUDIOPHILE!!!

Last edited by Dude111; 05-29-2016 at 03:26 AM.
post #22 of 90 Old 05-27-2016, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post

In my opinion "ADUIOPHILE" means you want the BEST sound right?

WELL THE BEST/PUREST SOUND IS (AND ALWAYS WAS) ANALOG!!!!!!

Yes I consider myself to be an AUDIOPHILE!!!
No, not necessarily the purest. Only if the analog sound you're hearing is coming directly out of the instrument that the musician standing or sitting in front of you is playing.

Otherwise, it's a never-ending debate.

post #23 of 90 Old 05-29-2016, 03:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 550
Hmmmmmmmm Gracious for that description my friend.....
post #24 of 90 Old 05-29-2016, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4732 Post(s)
Liked: 11107
I seem to have cured, or at least put into remission, that pesky upgrade bug. I'm actually quite content with where my system is at... for now...
KJSteward likes this.

post #25 of 90 Old 05-31-2016, 01:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Fellow addict here, with some good news.

There IS a hybrid treatment which can slow the progress of the condition. This treatment consists of equal parts high-priced real estate and marriage.

Let's look at each more closely.

High priced real estate (like my home in the SF Bay Area) often necessitates your toys share a common space, severely limiting the size and complexity of ones system. In fact, your home can be priced SO high as to make hi-fi budgetarily nonsensical.....which brings me to...

Marriage. Put together with modestly sized yet very expensive homes, marriage not only keeps tabs on spending, but more importantly aesthetics of the living area, where your gear now resides. Oh how I long for a house with twice the square footage for half the price, and am envious of you guys with basements...perhaps someday.

Until then, I make compromises, like putting the on-wall (sucks) center channel over (sucks) the TV because marriage wants a fireplace under it. Also, my speakers must be pretty. I'd rather have bigger, uglier ones being powered by bigger, uglier amps. At least I have a cool room for my rack.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	1469425  
KJSteward, KenM10759 and HVAC Guru like this.

HT: B&W CM9 S2 - DefTech Mythos Ten - DefTech XTR-20BP - Dual SVS SB16 Ultra - Parasound Halo A21 and A51 - Marantz AV7702 MKii - Samsung UN65JS8500

2CH: Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor M - Parasound Halo A23 - Bluesound Node 2 - Iomega NAS

WAF is currently at DEFCON ORANGE
post #26 of 90 Old 06-04-2016, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Liked: 413
There is a cure in some places now for this... Medical Marijuana will make your setup sound like you have upgraded it to the top. It also has the affect that you don't care to go out to stores to look anymore.

Yamaha CX-A5100, (3) JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, 4 JBL 8340As, 4 JBL 8320s, PS3, XBoxOne, 2 Intel NUCs, Monoprice speaker wire, and XLR cables, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster HTPS7000, 2 Furman filters, 2 DTS-10 subs, Panasonic AE8000, SeymourAV 195" diagonal scope screen, Panamorph UH-480, Darbee Darcet, Yamaha P7000s, (2) Crest Audio CM2208s, Yamaha XM-4080, (2) MiniDSP DDRC-88.
The Ellis Family Go Big or go Home HT
post #27 of 90 Old 06-05-2016, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisr63 View Post
Medical Marijuana will make your setup sound like you have upgraded it to the top.
The joys of Cali.

I've dreampt of building a tube amp but never have gotten around to it. One day my audiophile self will have fun with this.
post #28 of 90 Old 06-05-2016, 11:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2648 Post(s)
Liked: 1621
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrummingdude View Post

There IS a hybrid treatment which can slow the progress of the condition. This treatment consists of equal parts high-priced real estate and marriage.

High priced real estate (like my home in the SF Bay Area) often necessitates your toys share a common space, severely limiting the size and complexity of ones system. In fact, your home can be priced SO high as to make hi-fi budgetarily nonsensical.....which brings me to...

Marriage. Put together with modestly sized yet very expensive homes, marriage not only keeps tabs on spending, but more importantly aesthetics of the living area, where your gear now resides. Oh how I long for a house with twice the square footage for half the price, and am envious of you guys with basements...perhaps someday.

Until then, I make compromises, like putting the on-wall (sucks) center channel over (sucks) the TV because marriage wants a fireplace under it. Also, my speakers must be pretty. I'd rather have bigger, uglier ones being powered by bigger, uglier amps. At least I have a cool room for my rack.
Exactly.

I'm very glad that I don't have a large home here in Santa Rosa as 1) it would be very expensive, (2,000 sq/ft houses around here in nice neighborhoods go for $600k...though 35 years ago we paid $140k), and 2) it would allow for massive sized speakers with expensive price tags.

That has definitely held me in check as in under $7k for the 5.1 system and Plasma.

If I lived where my relatives live in TX or GA the disease would be unchecked and rather than going for Usher's under $1,500/pair floor standers I'd be rationalizing their $38,000/pair OMFGs.

post #29 of 90 Old 06-05-2016, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1593 Post(s)
Liked: 1202
Closely related to the malady experienced by those whose home (only? ) page is the REW thread:
Graphitis Nervosa.
You no longer care how your system sounds; the 15dB drop at 32Hz is driving you crazy. Bass traps, absorption panels, reflection panels, MORE MEASURMENTS!
prerich likes this.

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Downloadable FREE demo discs: Demonstration Blu-Ray Discs (Independently Authored)
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
For most of the time, the here and now is neither now nor here. Graham Swift
post #30 of 90 Old 06-06-2016, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrummingdude View Post

Friend,

Please sit down. We need to talk.

This panacea you speak of is an illusion. I, too, thought this marriage thing would curb my craving. But, unfortunately, the other half of the marriage has caught the early stages of this bug, therefore giving me permission to indulge.

Be careful, friend, you may infect others. Then you're screwed.

Well, your wallet anyways.
uniquepattern likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Community Articles