Blackout sound proof curtains - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 04-29-2008, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know where i can find blackout sound proof curtains? my room has a rear, side and front wall, but the right side is open to where the kids play area is.

I wanted to run a curtain from the front wall to the back wall on the right side to close the room off. but also wanted it to be blackout and as sound proof as can be.

Does anyone know where i can get such an item?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 04-29-2008, 07:17 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 631
If you want something that will actually make a dent on the sound you will probably need some curtains intended for industrial use.

http://www.goffscurtainwalls.com/noi...fdom=ppcgoogle

JEFF PARKINSON

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PROJECTS:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 Old 05-13-2008, 09:44 AM

These people have the type of industrial curtains you would need, they come in different colors also http://www.enoisecontrol.com/sound-curtains.html
post #4 of 20 Old 05-20-2008, 11:02 AM

Liked: 15
Just purchased Eclipse Curtains at Walmart at 10.83 per panel. They Are complete blackout curtains.
post #5 of 20 Old 05-20-2008, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by arango1 View Post

Just purchased Eclipse Curtains at Walmart at 10.83 per panel. They Are complete blackout curtains.

Perhaps but you can be darn sure they are NOT sound proof.
Try industrial which are still not soundproof but better than nothing.

McCall
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Yup that really IS me in the avatar.

post #6 of 20 Old 05-21-2008, 05:42 AM

Liked: 15
True,
Next stop, Lowes for some pre-mixed mortar
post #7 of 20 Old 05-21-2008, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCall View Post

Perhaps but you can be darn sure they are NOT sound proof.
Try industrial which are still not soundproof but better than nothing.

True...sound attenuating, yes...sound proof, absolutely not. They'll do a credible job in the vocal band if they're heavy enough. I've seen 18-22oz 50% fullness velour used in some kinds of installs to cut down on vocal chatter in crowded spaces.

Frank

Frank Oesterheld
post #8 of 20 Old 10-31-2008, 05:32 AM

Get some MDF and timber along with lots and lots of screws and place the MDF made up in several layers and stuff the hole up that is called the window you don’t need the window you’ve got plenty of windows in the home!

Now you have effectively reduced cut down on the traffic airplane and other noise from the window and it’s a damn sight more cost effective over curtains because some fabric is damn costly!!!
post #9 of 20 Old 10-31-2008, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by fernalfer View Post

Does anyone know where i can find blackout sound proof curtains? my room has a rear, side and front wall, but the right side is open to where the kids play area is.

I wanted to run a curtain from the front wall to the back wall on the right side to close the room off. but also wanted it to be blackout and as sound proof as can be.

Does anyone know where i can get such an item?

Well, if your intentions are to simply divide the room visually, then curtains will work.
But if you are looking for sound control, there is no replacement for a wall and enclosed room.
Depending on your expectations, when it is all said and done, I am betting that you will be disappointed with the end results of your efforts and money spent.
It has been said many times on this site that when it comes to sound containment, your space is much like a fish aquarium. If there is one leak, sound, like water, will find that leak and enter un-wanted area's. I don't know exactly what curtain set-ups you are currently looking at, but I can't imagine there is a curtain out there that is going to contain sound like you are probably expecting.

Domino's donÂt fall all at once, they fall one at a time...
post #10 of 20 Old 11-01-2008, 06:08 AM

If light can get though the gap therefore sound can also pass though it!
post #11 of 20 Old 10-03-2011, 03:57 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pramada View Post

Soundproof curtains are made especially for absorbing sounds and have been tested in laboratories with great success of reducing sounds close to 20 decibels.

They rarely report the results at the lower frequencies which are a real problem in Home theaters. Anyone planning on using curtains as a sound proofing measure needs to be realistic in their expectations.

Note: Pramada's post was deleted by the mods because he had a marketing link in his signature.

JEFF PARKINSON

PROJECTS:
post #12 of 20 Old 02-06-2012, 01:11 AM

I have been looking for blackout/soundproof curtains myself because I don't sleep that well with the street noise in the morning.

I did quite a bit of research and I found some Amazon links to blackout curtains here soundproofcurtains.net/soundproofing_curtains_noise_proof_curtains_media_room_curta ins.html Now as far as soundproof, I read the customer reviews on Amazon that these readily available blackout curtains only absorb about 40% of the sound.

As some other commentators point out, the higher frequencies are better absorbed than the lower frequencies.

If kids noises are the problem, maybe their frequencies are not that low after all?

There is some other advice about the size of the curtains on the page I referred you to also. Hope that helps.
post #13 of 20 Old 01-15-2014, 04:42 PM

Completely agree. Eclipse curtains will definitely not make a dent in the noise. Here are some soundproof curtains that worked for me - you can customize them, and they aren't TOO expensive... http://residential-acoustics.com/product/acousticurtain/

post #14 of 20 Old 01-15-2014, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I just finished buying the last of my Eclipse blackout panels. I didn't need them to be soundproof, just make the viewing area nice and dark. When not in use, the mrs. bought nice black tie backs. you can purchase them on Amazon or Target or Walmart..Hope this helps..

post #15 of 20 Old 01-16-2014, 02:44 PM

I have an open doorway/entryway to my theatre and looking to cover it. I'm more interested in blacking out the room then soundproofing, but soundproof would be a nice bonus.

Taxman, are those the same from WM? would they block most sunlight getting in?

Parallux, nice website, I may look into it and possibly combine it w/ the curtains/drapes. Do ou have experience w/ it and does it seem like it would work w/ a doorway?
post #16 of 20 Old 07-18-2014, 03:56 AM

Liked: 0
You can check out several online shops that sell soundproof curtain

Just google soundproof soundproof curtain and you get a list of online sellers.
post #17 of 20 Old 07-18-2014, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 28
There is no such thing as a soundproof curtain. There are some that provide some degree of sound attenuation, maybe 10 dB or so. The ones I use are marketed as Eclipse, and I bought them primarily for light blocking. That they do well. Sound, just a bit.
post #18 of 20 Old 07-29-2014, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
"Double Sided" Blackout curtains

I am looking for double sided blackout curtains. I have about a 6ft wide entry way to my theater and want a velvet curtain, but it needs to look nice on both sides. Most lined/blackout curtains I can find have a white liner on the one side. Only place I found where you can configure the curtain for double sided is by Saaria. I am a bit uneasy as their website and sister site have various grammar and spelling issues (they are in India & US). Anyone have any other suggestions? And no, I am not putting up a wall ;o)

Last edited by amallano; 07-29-2014 at 10:54 AM. Reason: spelling (oops)
post #19 of 20 Old 07-30-2014, 12:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I'm in the same situation and will need a double sided blackout (nice and heavy, and decent looking) curtain (if there is a measure of sound attenuation, even better) for the entrance to my room. I have a 6 ft by 4 ft corner that is all open to the hallway and the way up the stairs, and needs to be closed off, and I cannot build a wall there as it would leave a much too narrow hallway.

I'm now thinking that perhaps a double curtain could work, back to back. But it's a bit tricky because it's a corner, and that leaves a lot more rods to install, and not enough space for that.

How about dual curtains on same rod....(I plan to make custom rods using copper pipes).
post #20 of 20 Old 07-30-2014, 03:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I found these curtains, which are not velvet, but they apparently use a different weave which means they do not have to use an extra lining, and are the same on both sides:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001A63XTS/...MW5UF7KJ&psc=1

The price seems good since they are sold in sets of 2 panels for 104 inches total width.

I ordered the burgandy color for myself. Since they are not going to go directly in front of a window, the amount of light blocking should be just fine.
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page