Volume V Coca-Cola ScreenPlay style slides (and videos) NOW AVAILABLE! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 141 Old 07-04-2008, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Link to Flickr page for samples of all categories from all 5 volumes here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21643749@N02/

For anyone who wants to experiment with the samples linked above in their home theater, these samples can be saved to your computer in "large" setting, which is about half the resolution of the actual slide files you've receive from me on disc. Just click on a slide. It will display a bit larger. Look for "All sizes" button on top left of slide. It will re-display with a download button for "large size".

NEW!!! Volume 5 (200+ slides plus bonus video content) specs:

Disney Trivia: 50 slides (25Q & 25A) Covers animated features.
Harry Potter Trivia: 60 slides (30Q & 30a) Covers first five features.
Indiana Jones Trivia: 40 slides (20Q & 20A) Covers all four features.
Movie Cliches: 10 slides
Refreshing Movie Moments V5: 35 new slides with stills from recent 2008 releases, current summer releases and upcoming holiday releases. Template further tweaked from previous volume.
Popcorn & Coke, etc.: A smattering of new movie snack slides

Now, you're asking.... what is this bonus video content you mentioned? Well, I've created some short (15 to 30 seconds each) "bumpers" that you can use to introduce themed trivia segments. I'm including these for the Indiana Jones, Disney and Harry Potter trivia that I've made for volume 5. But I've also gone back to previous volumes and made video bits for the Star Wars and James Bond trivia sets. (For a hypothetical volume 6, I may do Star Trek, Superman, Alien, Austin Powers or Die Hard, Dirty Harry, or Jason Bourne bits.)

They're not award-winning or anything, but are a fun thing that I tried... just to see what my meager computer/video skills could do. I'm sure those of you with the DVD sets of these movie series will recognize some of the backgrounds, etc. I scavenged desktop wallpaper pix, dvd menu screenshot grabs, etc. Whatever I thought could be usable...

Vol. 4 (200+ slides) specs:

Refreshing Movie Moments: 35 slides (New template layout)
James Bond Trivia 2007 Edition: 40 slides (20Q & 20A) Template updated to Daniel Craig.
Classic Trivia: 100 slides (50Q & 50A), focusing on classic films.
Classic Taglines: 25 new slides, focusing on taglines from pre-1970 films. Template redesigned from previous volume.

Thread regarding Volume 4 is here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=796498

Vol. 3 (170+ slides) specs:

Refreshing Movie Moments: 45 slides
What's My Job?: 30 slides
James Bond Trivia: 40 slides (20Q & 20A)
Star Wars Trivia: 40 slides (20Q & 20A)
Movie Music Maestros: 20 slides
Oscars Vs. Dollars: 15 slides

Thread regarding Volume 3 is archived here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6&page=1&pp=30

Vol. 2 (220+ slides) specs are:

Memorable Taglines: 40 slides
Refreshing Movie Moments: 40 slides
Kid's Trivia: 40 slides (20Q & 20A)
Trivia: 100 slides (50 Q & 50a)

Thread regarding Volume 2 is archived here: http://archive2.avsforum.com/avs-vb/...5&page=1&pp=30

Vol. 1 (270+ slides) specs are:

Trivia: 200 slides (100Q & 100A)
Refreshing Movie Moments: 40 slides
Movie Lingo: 20 slides
Coke Count: 10 slides (5Q & 5A)

Talk concerning the first volume is scattered in these two threads:
http://archive.avsforum.com/avs-vb/s...highlight=Coke
http://archive.avsforum.com/avs-vb/s...y&pagenumber=1

A seperate file (encompassing all 5 volumes) contains over 35 slides for Coke, popcorn, candy, trash, cell phones, etc. This makes for a total of over 1000 slide jpegs.

Another year, and the price of everything continues to increase:

BLANK DISCS-- With over 1,000 slides--plus video clips now--the collection has grown in size and will not fit onto a CD-R. I now use DVD-R. With the inclusion of the video clips, it is nearly 4GB. Petroleum prices have ended the days of a spool of blank discs nearly free after mail-in rebates...

DISC CASES--If it's made of plastic... as discs and cases are, chances are the price of them has increased.

PADDED BUBBLE MAILING ENVELOPES--Trying to track down deals; I'm getting relatively good bulk prices from eBay sellers sometimes...

POSTAGE--What? The post office increased their rates? I'm shocked! Media and 1st class rates have both increased again.

GAS--to make the trips to the post office--the less said about this the better... ugh!

PAYPAL--the % they get for their service

Now, prices on all the above things haven't increased obscenely (except for gas) but taken as a whole, they do add up. With this in mind, I'll have to increase the minimum Paypal to $7.00. That is sufficient to cover the disc, case, mailing padded envelope, postage and Paypal's % cut of the payment.

If interested, Paypal to: sgood3 (at) comcast (dot) net <--I think you can figure out how to make this a valid email address.

As always, tips are certainly appreciated, but by no means necessary.

The above amount will work for U.S. and Canada. For anyone across a large body of water, PM me and we'll figure out what it will cost to get a disc to you.

I'm still only sharing these by snail mail on a disc. No downloading option. (My son's a GA Tech computer science major and thinks this is quaint.) And once you've received a disc, please don't upload them for redistribution elsewhere. I'd like to keep them here in the AVS community.

PM with questions and please continue using this thread to post with suggestions on programs to use for making and using these slides, etc. The previous threads are also a wealth of information on how to make great pre-show intros. The tips and tricks you share with fellow members are what makes this forum a terrific community to participate in, and why I enjoy being here.

Thanks for your continued interest!

Steven

P.S. This is not designed to be a playable disc. It is a data disc with raw jpeg picture files on it. Volume 5 has short AVI and VOB video files, too.

You are supposed to use your computer and video editing or slideshow creation software to create and author a pre-show slide presentation. Then you burn you completed project to DVD and play that in your DVD player.

There are DVD players that can display jpeg photos and video files from a data disc. However, the files as burned on the disc I provide are not arranged in a manner that is very entertaining to watch.

Again, this is just a data disc, not a finsihed pre-show presentation.

If you are unsure what steps to take, please read through this thread, as well as the previous threads regarding Vol. 2, 3 and 4 (links for which are posted above). Those threads are a wealth of information regarding what programs AVS members have used to create slideshows, what background music they've included, programs they use to burn the finished project to DVD, etc.

Roger Ebert--"This is one more pathetic example of the dumbing of America--to show the films in the wrong aspect ratio to placate the stupid, instead of in the right aspect ratio to reward the knowledgeable."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 141 Old 07-04-2008, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Steven,

Just wanted you to know that the Version 2 and Version 1 threads appear to now be in the archives so your links to them (from the Version 3 thread) no longer work.

Maybe you could link to all the threads (even the archived ones) directly from your first post here?

I wanted to do some back reading and I have a feeling that all the main burning/creating information is probably in Versions 1 & 2.

Actually, HERE'S Volume 2. Can't seem to locate Volume 1 through my search efforts.

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

post #3 of 141 Old 07-04-2008, 12:18 PM

Cool, I'm In. Money sent.
post #4 of 141 Old 07-04-2008, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Thanks for doing this!

The Moderno Theatre! Slideshow (here, and here!)
Pixar screenplay slideshows here!
post #5 of 141 Old 07-04-2008, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu View Post

Maybe you could link to all the threads (even the archived ones) directly from your first post here?

Great suggestion! First post updated to include direct links to all previous volume threads.

Steven

Roger Ebert--"This is one more pathetic example of the dumbing of America--to show the films in the wrong aspect ratio to placate the stupid, instead of in the right aspect ratio to reward the knowledgeable."
post #6 of 141 Old 07-04-2008, 07:44 PM

Steven - money has been sent! I am absolutely blown away at these. I cannot wait! Thanks for all the hard work!

D
post #7 of 141 Old 07-04-2008, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Steven,

The "templates" that were mentioned in some of the earlier threads are no longer included, correct?

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

post #8 of 141 Old 07-05-2008, 04:20 AM
Advanced Member

Steve,

Awesome job! I can provide server space if you want to provide users with a download link...

Bob
post #9 of 141 Old 07-05-2008, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Wizard View Post

Steve,

Awesome job! I can provide server space if you want to provide users with a download link...

Bob

Quoting a bit of my first post...

I'm still only sharing these by snail mail on a disc. No downloading option. (My son's a GA Tech computer science major and thinks this is quaint.) And once you've received a disc, please don't upload them for redistribution elsewhere. I'd like to keep them here in the AVS community.

post #10 of 141 Old 07-05-2008, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu View Post

Steven,

The "templates" that were mentioned in some of the earlier threads are no longer included, correct?

No, but I have been known to email individuals who ask a template of two if they want to make a few more of a particular theme for themselves.

post #11 of 141 Old 07-05-2008, 02:28 PM

Steven - Payment sent. Thanks,

tum
post #12 of 141 Old 07-05-2008, 04:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Good View Post

Quoting a bit of my first post...

The downloads can be controlled by you or I can easily add a payment system to it...was just trying to help out.
post #13 of 141 Old 07-05-2008, 04:02 PM

Payment sent. Thanks for all the hard work!
post #14 of 141 Old 07-06-2008, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Wizard View Post

The downloads can be controlled by you or I can easily add a payment system to it...was just trying to help out.

Thank you very much for your offer. I would prefer to continue this method, though.

The first batch of discs will ship out Monday.

Steven

post #15 of 141 Old 07-06-2008, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Steven, you are a good man, but you are a technophobe!

The Moderno Theatre! Slideshow (here, and here!)
Pixar screenplay slideshows here!
post #16 of 141 Old 07-06-2008, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnolivos View Post

Steven, you are a good man, but you are a technophobe!

[Clint Eastwood] A man has got to know his limitations. [/Clint Eastwood]

post #17 of 141 Old 07-06-2008, 04:10 PM

[quote=Steven Good;14220966]

Steve:

FANTABULISTIC!!!!

Money sent via Paypal tonite. I can't wait to get these and use them with a big Movie Weekend planned at our brand new home theater this coming weekend!!!

Perhaps a stupid question, but please clarify --- Does Volume 5 include all the material from Volumes 1 - 4 ???

If it would be faster, and your son at GA Tech has Volumes 1 - 5 already on hand, I'd be happy to meet him at "The Varsity" to pick them up sometime this week. I work literally across the street at Emory Crawford Long Hospital (I can see Tech Stadium from my office). Tell him the Chili-Cheese-Slaw Dogs and a Frosted Orange (or a Coke of course) are on me.

Thanks,
Art Raines
post #18 of 141 Old 07-06-2008, 04:30 PM

Money sent. Thanks good job.
post #19 of 141 Old 07-06-2008, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Perhaps a stupid question, but please clarify --- Does Volume 5 include all the material from Volumes 1 - 4 ???

If it would be faster, and your son at GA Tech has Volumes 1 - 5 already on hand, I'd be happy to meet him at "The Varsity" to pick them up sometime this week. I work literally across the street at Emory Crawford Long Hospital (I can see Tech Stadium from my office). Tell him the Chili-Cheese-Slaw Dogs and a Frosted Orange (or a Coke of course) are on me.

Thanks,
Art Raines[/quote]

Yes, the disc you get has volumes 1, 2, 3 ,4 & 5.

Re: GA Tech. He's not on campus at the moment... otherwise he'd love free food! Thanks for your interest.

Steven

post #20 of 141 Old 07-06-2008, 05:49 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. Looking forward to receiving the discs.
post #21 of 141 Old 07-06-2008, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
thx

Current Projects:
IN PROGRESS (80%) - Building 3D Theater room.
IN PROGRESS (30%) - Building Lounge/Hallway Area.
IN PROGRESS (15%) - Building Home LAN (4 PCs).
ON HOLD - Building Home Gym.
ON HOLD - Building Simulation Room (Eyefinity).
ON HOLD - Building Theater room (Sim2 HT380, 2.35 14ft wide).
post #22 of 141 Old 07-06-2008, 08:48 PM

Paypal sent...

My DVD Collection, My Receiver: Denon AVR-987, My Television: Panasonic TH-50PX80U
post #23 of 141 Old 07-07-2008, 03:44 AM
Advanced Member

Payment sent.

Thanks,
Bob
post #24 of 141 Old 07-07-2008, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
PayPal payment sent.

CJ

Follow my build here: Harvest Ridge Theater
post #25 of 141 Old 07-08-2008, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The first batch of discs were mailed out yesterday. Now, of course, I've had a thought...

The video clips on the disc were created on Windows Movie Maker. Although my machine runs Vista, I chose to use Movie Maker 2.6 (but it had to be run in compatibility mode XP Service Pack 2) because it seemed to handle the aspect ratio of the clips better. Still, the "project" files can be opened in either program.

Anyway, the programs have many choices when it comes to exporting the finished video for later use in an authoring/burning program. Almost all of them are in some sort of WMV (Windows Media Video) format, though. I wasn't sure which would prove to be the most compatible, so the finished videos on my disc were exported as "High Quality Video (NTSC)". There were some WMV formats in 720p and 1080P format (some specifically for playback on XBOX 360, for example).

With all this in mind, I'm going to try to carve out enough space on the disc to include the "project" files and any necessary assets so that you can choose to export the videos in a more usable format for authoring/burning. I'm not certain I can get everything on that I want to, but I thought I'd mention this now.

I admit that my knowledge about video is limited at best--which is probably why I use the rather lame Windows Movie Maker rather than a more robust program. If anyone more knowledgable about formats and burning/authoring program compatibility can chime with suggestions, I'd be happy re-export the videos in the suggested format and burn those in all subsequent discs I send out.

I realize that this is a question I probably should have brought up a couple of weeks ago, but we are where we are...

Steven

post #26 of 141 Old 07-08-2008, 10:02 PM
aen

Payment sent

Thanks
post #27 of 141 Old 07-09-2008, 02:43 PM

Payment sent
post #28 of 141 Old 07-09-2008, 03:35 PM

Paypal sent, nice work and just what I needed.
post #29 of 141 Old 07-10-2008, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hopefully, as the discs arrive tomorrow or over the weekend, those who received them can post here to let me know if everything is working as expected. You never know when dealing with video files...

post #30 of 141 Old 07-11-2008, 09:04 AM

Steven,

I got my disc yesterday. The slides and video segments all look great.

Thanks again,
Mark

Mark
Closed Thread Theater Room Items & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page