Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 564 Old 09-06-2008, 03:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
So much for "wall-away" features. Nice chair though.
post #33 of 564 Old 09-06-2008, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
VERY nice looking chair. This would be my choice if I *had* to buy local. I don't think there is anything as nice and as cheap as this B&M, period. Good find.

The Moderno Theatre! Slideshow (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Pixar screenplay slideshows
!
post #34 of 564 Old 09-06-2008, 05:39 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
jvgillow -

Thanks for the pictures. Looks like it may be worth tracking these down.
post #35 of 564 Old 09-06-2008, 06:36 AM

Liked: 10
those look like very nice chairs. I'm actually impressed. But how long is that leg rest? Is it me or does that look a bit short?
post #36 of 564 Old 09-06-2008, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvgillow View Post

Am I the first guinea pig?

I picked up one of the 2-arm models today. If it goes on sale for $230 I'll get my $20 refunded. It fit in the back of my Yaris but only without the cardboard box.

I have a Yaris hatchback, too. So that's good to know.

I may convince my wife to take a look at them this weekend. But if they're listed in the weekly circular tomorrow, they may start moving quickly!

Roger Ebert--"This is one more pathetic example of the dumbing of America--to show the films in the wrong aspect ratio to placate the stupid, instead of in the right aspect ratio to reward the knowledgeable."
post #37 of 564 Old 09-06-2008, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member

Allow me to start by saying that I have no connection HT seating sales whatsoever (my wife and I have a dental office).

If you're only planning to use these chairs intermittently or in the short term, have at it.

I have a very good friend that does woodworking. He has shown me the marked difference in durability from one type of furniture construction to another. If you don't know how it's put together, it all looks the same on the outside.

Additionally, Sears holdings (KMart especially) is on very shaky financial ground. If you have a problem, support from the retailer likely will not be forthcoming.

I've made good friends on this forum and just don't want to see anyone get burned.

Robin: "You can't get away from Batman that easy!"
Batman: "Easily."
Robin: "Easily."
Batman: "Good grammar is essential, Robin."
Robin: "Thank you."
Batman: "You're welcome."
post #38 of 564 Old 09-06-2008, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monoplex View Post

Additionally, Sears holdings (KMart especially) is on very shaky financial ground. If you have a problem, support from the retailer likely will not be forthcoming.

I've made good friends on this forum and just don't want to see anyone get burned.

Where did you get the information regarding customer support you speak of?
post #39 of 564 Old 09-07-2008, 04:16 AM
Advanced Member

Jvgillow-

Who actually makes the chairs? I'm seriously considering them (they are on sale starting today). Right now, I can't fork over more $ for better seats (just bought a new house). The next closest alternative would be the Coaster Matinees for about $100 more a seat.

Even though the wife doesn't want (or like) fake leather, they are still tempting... especially after the pictures you put up. Wish I knew more about furniture.
post #40 of 564 Old 09-07-2008, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Made by Haining Gelin Furniture (China obviously).

Jeremy Gillow
post #41 of 564 Old 09-08-2008, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

These are on the front page of our local Sunday K-mart circular...they're running $199 for the 1-arm and $229 for the 2-arm right now.

I saw them boxed up in the local K-mart yesterday...they only had 5 total boxes on-hand. I think they had 3 of them sold while I was there though.
post #42 of 564 Old 09-08-2008, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah I had no trouble getting a price adjustment to the new sale price.

Jeremy Gillow
post #43 of 564 Old 09-08-2008, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member

I don't know... been thinking about this alot. Seems like if you wanted to get a row of three it would come out to about $675 (after tax).... about $225 a seat.

For $798 ($267 a seat) might as well step into the Coaster Matinee line in the Power Buy...

Even though I've heard some not-so-great things about that line, seems like it might be a wiser purchase. I might even look for a reclining couch or loveseat for less.....
post #44 of 564 Old 09-08-2008, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Ruhl View Post

I don't know... been thinking about this alot. Seems like if you wanted to get a row of three it would come out to about $675 (after tax).... about $225 a seat.

For $798 ($267 a seat) might as well step into the Coaster Matinee line in the Power Buy...

Even though I've heard some not-so-great things about that line, seems like it might be a wiser purchase. I might even look for a reclining couch or loveseat for less.....

Choosing between the no name and the Matinee, I would go for the no name anytime if you have ever tried out the Matinee. They were the 1st seats that caught my eyes during my search. They are simply not very comfortable, but might just be me....

post #45 of 564 Old 09-08-2008, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

I have to say the Coaster Matinee looks very lacking in the back-cushioning area. Haven't ever sat in one myself though.

Jeremy Gillow
post #46 of 564 Old 09-08-2008, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Never tried out the Matinee. I can't seem to locate a local dealer (I'd like to at least sit in a chair before I order it) and there seems to be very little in the way of an online presence for the actual Coaster Furniture company (to locate a dealer).

Thanks for the tip though.
post #47 of 564 Old 09-08-2008, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Ditto on this seat. Coaster makes some nice seats for the price, but the Matinee is not one of them in MHO. I have sat in this seat and did not find it very comfortable.

Ken Lerch
StargateCinema.com
Home Theater Seating and Decor
HTSeating.com
Home Theater Seating

post #48 of 564 Old 09-08-2008, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I came across this thread this morning and had to run out to our local KMart during lunch and "see it for myself". In my opinion these are probably worth what they are asking for them. I was unable to sit in them as they were on a display rack with an angle bracket screwed into the front of one of the legs to secure it to the rack "tacky and will leave a big noticable hole". The appearance of the stitching is poor however they were at eye level in a brightly lighted display area. The 2 arm seat appeared "square" however the 1 arm seat attached to the left as you are seated was not square to the 2 arm seat. It did appear there is a very convenient place to mount bass shakers to a piece of MDF attached to a cross support member. I am being a little picky here, I know. I do not need to buy seats today as I am just beginning my theater build, however I didn't want to pass up on a "good deal". IMO this is not a deal I can't pass up. If your budget will not allow any more $ than this go for it.

post #49 of 564 Old 09-08-2008, 07:05 PM

I went to Kmart today to test the chairs out. They were pretty comfortable, but the feel of the pleather was not the greatest. Definately not berkline quality, buy also not nearly as expensive. I am considering getting these chairs since I am on a tight budget.
post #50 of 564 Old 09-08-2008, 11:31 PM

has anyone figured out if you can get 2 one arms and make a loveseat out of them?
post #51 of 564 Old 09-09-2008, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubyah View Post

has anyone figured out if you can get 2 one arms and make a loveseat out of them?

The member that bought them said that the bracing was on the left side only, but from the pictures I see that maybe the braces can be change to the other side.

I plan to buy a row of three, my budget is tight and my current seats are in really bad shape, also shipping to PR almost double the price of the better seats .I will see if the center love seat is possible as soon I get them in house.
post #52 of 564 Old 09-09-2008, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

The "documentation" that comes with the chairs doesn't show any configuration with two single-arm chairs matched together for a loveseat. I think when they said loveseat they just meant a 2-seat row.

I don't think it's possible because the 1-arm units are completely exposed on the right-hand side (due to no arm being there). There would have to be a way to move the arm from the left side to the right side in order to possibly make a loveseat out of two of them. Unless Kmart is selling two different styles of the 1-arm chair but it didn't appear that way to me.

Jeremy Gillow
post #53 of 564 Old 09-09-2008, 07:22 AM

Can you remove the left side of a 2 arm chair and somehow plug it to the right side of the one arm chair? That would make a love seat.
post #54 of 564 Old 09-09-2008, 10:29 AM

If I get a chance again today, I will go look at the chairs to see if it is possible to make a love seat. I have been wanting to do the same thing to make an isle down the middle. Use the love seat on one side and the single seat on the other. I would be pretty sure that the 2 chairs can be made into one, but it might not be easy to do so.
post #55 of 564 Old 09-09-2008, 10:33 AM

yeah, you can't expect the world here. They recline, they look cool and supposedly they are fair in the comfort department.
post #56 of 564 Old 09-09-2008, 10:52 AM

I remember that someone in this forum took the Berklines that Cotsco sold not long ago and made a in between loveseat. That was more difficult because those were power recline.
post #57 of 564 Old 09-09-2008, 12:24 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Ruhl View Post

Ok, I'm cheap. That hometheatersupplies.net link was interesting. Has anybody else done business with these folks?

Luckily for me, my wife doesn't want leather or fake leather. This is what really piqued my interest: For $550, that seems like a GREAT deal. Wonder if shipping is extra?

Can anybody comment on these, please?

I especially like the obviously fake fireplace in the back!

Also come in synthetic leather for the same price.

I was looking at these too just because of the size.. I have a limited amount of room side to side and want to make sure you are not walking sideways with you hands full of snacks...

Let a Nation of Black & Gold rise up.
Go forth and proclaim "YOUR IN STEELERS COUNTRY!!"
Go Steelers!!!

post #58 of 564 Old 09-11-2008, 01:54 AM
Advanced Member

Found another thread similar to this one over at AV123forum started by JVgillow... similar to this thread:

http://www.av123forum.com/showthread.php?t=35721

Then another interesting link over at the blu ray forum from somebody else that purchased them and had good things to say...

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?p=1140165

In case anybody was still interested.

Hlomax- People on this board have said that the Matinee was uncomfortable. The specs on those suggest to me that they might be a little narrow for sitting in. If you're a big guy, they may not work for you. I tried out some narrow recliners this week at a local furniture store, and they weren't for me.
post #59 of 564 Old 09-11-2008, 10:10 AM

Liked: 12
Chris Ruhl
Thanks for the info... that was one of the reasons i didnt purchase them, they just look so thin in the back.. no support..and i couldnt sit in them...

So I decided to take a look at the Kmart ones...
Stopped by the store on the way home and to my surprise there they were...
high up on the display rack

so what was a HT buff to do but climb up there and sit in them to try them out. Now mind ya i only sat there for abut 20 min but they seemed very comfortable .. reclined easy nice support for the head and low lumbar..and the seat was really supportive..

jumped down and went to housewares to get a couple different glasses.. and also stopped by the refrigerated section and picked up a can of pop and energy drink .. all to try out in the cup holders..

just a bit narrow .. but a standard cup, energy drink can, and pop can fit very nicely...

they also had the instruction pamphlet out so I took a long read at it..

where i work we get a discount for Sear/ Kmart.. so on top of the sale price, and store pickup (no shipping cost) I can save a added 15% seems like a no brainer to me .. and will suit my need just fine...
just me the wife and kids...

Let a Nation of Black & Gold rise up.
Go forth and proclaim "YOUR IN STEELERS COUNTRY!!"
Go Steelers!!!

post #60 of 564 Old 09-11-2008, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Haha, you sat up there for 20 minutes? Nice...

The cupholders are kind of limiting, but I normally just have a can of soda anyway which fits fine as you mentioned. Don't expect a beer mug or a big gulp to fit though.

Jeremy Gillow
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page