post #181 of 564 Old 10-06-2008, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post

Roman is a forum sponsor who often has powerbuys on Berk's and now a private collection he is offering.

http://www.rtheaters.com/

Now as far as something the same price as these that's something chiltown or Roman (RSH) would have to help you with.

oman,

Which model/s are his "private collection" units ?
I see Berklines on his site.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 564 Old 10-06-2008, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Under the Home Theater Seating Link

http://www.rtheaters.com/htseating/

The Private collection come with wireless buttkickers built in.
http://www.rtheaters.com/PCS/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #183 of 564 Old 10-06-2008, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Ruhl View Post

Whiskey>work... I think he was answering the question "Who is Roman" and not the question regarding that he has chairs as cheap as the K-mart ones.

That being said, I'll believe it when I see it.

Exactly, I have never seen any model offered by Roman's store which are priced in line with the KMart chairs. Thus the reason I stated chiltown (for ensinuating that their is) or Roman (since it's his store, I would hope he knew he had such a deal) would have to answer that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #184 of 564 Old 10-06-2008, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I believe people are still waiting for clarification on Chilltown saying you could find seats cheaper than these on Romans site. Where? (Am I not seeing something?)
post #185 of 564 Old 10-06-2008, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

chiltown is usually disputing the cost of berks or other chairs and I have seen much discussion from him in regards to certain deals. I've seen him mention a couple of deals from local N.E. stores also. Why he would make such a comment and not provide any real evidence or follow up what he is saying I would have no idea.

In any event I wouldn't take what he stated to be true until either he provides actual proof or Roman himself chimes to verify. IMO it is hogwash.

post #186 of 564 Old 10-06-2008, 01:10 PM

ok, lads, i must call

Shenanigans

here,

getting me excited about more low priced furniture,

i must call shenanigans!
post #187 of 564 Old 10-06-2008, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

guys,

your not going to find real leather from any brand for cheaper than the fake leather from the Kmart offerings. One member said the finish of the faux leather on the display units was far from acceptable so I would question the durability in this case...Vinyl is prone to cracking and peeling, light/sun fading, etc so one cannot expect a top notch product for $200 per chair. Spend a bit more and you can much more value for your money. A fabric or microfiber is better than most of the faux vinyl leathers, some faux leathers are good but they are closer to the cost of real leather.

For example the Coaster Matinees also mentioned in this thread are available in both microfiber and vinyl and the microfiber is a few dollars more per chair than the vinyl. That's how cheap this stuff can be. Now i'm not going to condone these Kmart chairs because I havent seen them in person but i would hate to see any member spend $200 a chair and get 1-2 years out of it (if that) before the finish begins to deteriorate. I'm sure those display models have been up for a few months max and with the bright lights are appearing to deteriorate already...You get what you pay for, i'm sure the chairs look and feel great when new so if that's what makes members happy then that's all that matters. For other members, spend a little more, get real leather or microfiber and your dollars actually stretch much further because the chairs will last a long time so members can look at the amount spent per chair times the amount of years of use. That equates to the best deal and best value for one's money...Hopefuly this helps.

Cheaping out is not the way to go, trust me on this. I'm baffled at members spending a grand on a new amplifier, new screen or what have you but they will not spend that thousand or fifteen hundred for 3 chairs which is the most used pieces in the room. Furniture is just as important as anything else. Heck we have had people spend thousands on custom cabinetry (even DIY) and that last and just as important component which is the furniture not have the budget or cheap out on chairs to finish the room properly and be comfortable for years to come. That's where everyone sits, chairs are equally the most used component in the room so this baffles me to this day...and to answer the last few members questions you are not going to find Berkline at $200 or less per chair, much less any other worthwhile brand.

Serge Breton
htauthority.com
Home Theater Authority
post #188 of 564 Old 10-06-2008, 09:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post

Under the Home Theater Seating Link

http://www.rtheaters.com/htseating/

The Private collection come with wireless buttkickers built in.
http://www.rtheaters.com/PCS/

Thanks oman321 !
post #189 of 564 Old 10-07-2008, 07:39 AM
rsh
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Gentlemen,

I came across this thread, and I would like to state that the rumors created by chiltown are bogus. I have no idea what he meant or implied.

I can pretty much confirm what Serge says in his post. To summarize it - you get what you pay for...

Roman
rtheaters.com
Fusion Collection Seating
Ultimate Home Entertainment
post #190 of 564 Old 10-07-2008, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Maybe he was trying to get your email clogged or your phone ringing off the hook

Sad, very sad...Back on topic folks.

post #191 of 564 Old 10-07-2008, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

I believe my post was on topic...and as neutral and honest as can be. If it helps great, if not well at least I tried...

Serge Breton
htauthority.com
Home Theater Authority
post #192 of 564 Old 10-07-2008, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by power View Post

I believe my post was on topic...and as neutral and honest as can be. If it helps great, if not well at least I tried...

Not at all referring anything at you. In fact your input is appreciated and I thought your post was great. I always appreciate the input you and Roman provide. Thus the reason I preferred to buy from a reputable seller.

In any event I was referring to the bogus information that chiltown gave which sent this thread into a tailspin.

post #193 of 564 Old 10-07-2008, 10:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
This thread has been up for a while....
Anybody, especially the earliest purchasers that have these installed had any issues with them?

Not that I am looking to change my seats anytime soon whatsoever. If you have a true upscale theater, they don't make sense in my opinion. But most people do not have what I woudl lable as upscale theaters. I lable my own a downscale theater.
post #194 of 564 Old 10-07-2008, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

I'm a basement-theater, do-things-on-the-cheap type of guy. I simply can't afford Berklines or Coasters (6 of them at least) right now with a new house payment and daycare....

I've had the seats for a few weeks now. I like them a lot. I hope they hold up for quite a while. No problems as of yet.

I am not deluding myself into thinking the quality of these things is anything other than what I payed for them. That being said, the only furniture store in my general area that sold home theater seating had Berklines going for $1500 a seat. I know I could order for substantially cheaper, but it still wouldn't have been close to what I got these for. There will be a time when I spend the money for better seating, but it's not in the near future.

The only thing I can say is, go to Kmart and sit in them. Check them out. They work for me right now.

PS: Thanks for the input Serge. Do appreciate you guys who actually know about furniture weighing in.
post #195 of 564 Old 10-08-2008, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

I noticed that when I sat in the Kmart chair today, that it keeps reclining to where you would be looking out the sky light instead of the Projector Screen. Meaning its a delicate balance, to sit in the proper reclined position, for viewing.

No, I am not heavy, but I am tall 6.2 with a big build.
Is there an adjustment to tighten the chair.
I was thinking of using them in my Cigar Room where nothing lives long.

Including people!

Honest Graft.
"I saw my opportunities, and took them"!
post #196 of 564 Old 10-10-2008, 03:39 PM

I think many got my previous posting somewhat twisted. I wasn't comparing leather Berklines that Roman sells to KMart's price point but was stating that I hope that Roman came up with something non-leather at a better price point.

If you want to beat the price of Berklines and you happen to be in the Northeast, then I suggest you check out Bob's Discount Furniture. Once you add in the five year "goof proof" warranty, you will only save about $200 on a set of four from Roman which isn't that much, but I guess every nickel counts.
post #197 of 564 Old 10-19-2008, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

In today's K-mart flyer, I see the single arm, double arm & love seat are back on sale !

Check them out...

John
post #198 of 564 Old 10-21-2008, 10:40 AM

If you happen to live in the Northeast and are employed by a large corporation, Bernie's TV and Appliance is offering employees the ability to purchase home theater seating at 12% over dealer cost. While they don't sell either Coaster or Berkline, they do sell Ashley and Lane which are comparable.

You will be able to secure the Berkline equivalents in Lane with leather slightly cheaper than Powerbuy pricing. The 12% over dealer cost also applies to electronics such as LCDs, Plasmas, kitchen appliances, etc.
post #199 of 564 Old 10-21-2008, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiltown View Post

If you happen to live in the Northeast and are employed by a large corporation, Bernie's TV and Appliance is offering employees the ability to purchase home theater seating at 12% over dealer cost. While they don't sell either Coaster or Berkline, they do sell Ashley and Lane which are comparable.

You will be able to secure the Berkline equivalents in Lane with leather slightly cheaper than Powerbuy pricing. The 12% over dealer cost also applies to electronics such as LCDs, Plasmas, kitchen appliances, etc.

To be honest and I'm certain Roman would agree, most of the time we are selling below that 12% margin. That's how it is when we as dealers sell based on a "fee" based system. Seating is sold as a service, meaning a fee not a retail store markup. I'm sure there are others as well that sell at or below 10%. That's how tight someof these "margins" are. Just food for thought.

Serge Breton
htauthority.com
Home Theater Authority
post #200 of 564 Old 10-25-2008, 04:58 AM

Quote:

but i would hate to see any member spend $200 a chair and get 1-2 years out of it (if that) before the finish begins to deteriorate.

I think that consumers have come to realize that pretty much all furniture regardless of price is starting to be built with a limited lifespan. I remember furniture that our parents bought where a sofa could last ten or twenty years. Nowadays, the cushions if you are really lucky at best may last five and manufacturers won't even stand behind it.

How can you really blame a consumer for lower standards in manufacturing and even lower manufacturer warranties?

Quote:

I'm baffled at members spending a grand on a new amplifier, new screen or what have you but they will not spend that thousand or fifteen hundred for 3 chairs which is the most used pieces in the room.

Why should you be baffled. All you have to do is look at the mind of a consumer to understand. For example, if you bought a 42" Plasma TV several years ago, you would have paid several grand. However, when you bought it you knew that it would not only get cheaper but that quality would improve over time.

A consumer purchasing electronics can make an informed decision as to when something crosses their own value threshold. They also know that there will be viable opportunities to get goods at clearance which may even be at the rates retailers themselves paid (or lower).

Does this ever happen in home theater seating?
post #201 of 564 Old 10-25-2008, 05:01 AM

Quote:

To be honest and I'm certain Roman would agree, most of the time we are selling below that 12% margin. That's how it is when we as dealers sell based on a "fee" based system. Seating is sold as a service, meaning a fee not a retail store markup. I'm sure there are others as well that sell at or below 10%. That's how tight someof these "margins" are. Just food for thought.

If anyone happens to know dealer costs for Berkline's, Lane's or Coasters, I would be willing to get a few quotes from Bernies and see if 12% is really 12%. A little transparency in the ecosystem when it comes to pricing is always a good thing for consumers...
post #202 of 564 Old 10-28-2008, 06:54 AM

I've read the various theater seating threads on AVS over the years and I do believe that I'm the only one that has ever bought from 4seating.com. It's surprising to me because I got a great deal: 8 of their Argonaut model (2 rows of 4) 100% black leather, cupholders, wallhugger (can be 2 inches from wall and still recline). They have a release lever in the arm for reclining, and came with free buttshakers for each chair. Cost me $2,100 for all 8, via one of their ebay specials. (The prices on their website are higher but they frequently offer specials via ebay.) I bought them 3 years ago and they've held up very well. No complaints. They have tons of other kinds. Most of the things they sell on the website I consider overpriced, but for the seats I was very happy.

Equusz

A.D.D. stands for attention deficit LET'S GO RIDE BIKES!
post #203 of 564 Old 10-28-2008, 06:54 AM

Strange duplicate post.

post #204 of 564 Old 10-28-2008, 11:56 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Equusz View Post

I've read the various theater seating threads on AVS over the years and I do believe that I'm the only one that has ever bought from 4seating.com. It's surprising to me because I got a great deal: 8 of their Argonaut model (2 rows of 4) 100% black leather, cupholders, wallhugger (can be 2 inches from wall and still recline). They have a release lever in the arm for reclining, and came with free buttshakers for each chair. Cost me $2,100 for all 8, via one of their ebay specials. (The prices on their website are higher but they frequently offer specials via ebay.) I bought them 3 years ago and they've held up very well. No complaints. They have tons of other kinds. Most of the things they sell on the website I consider overpriced, but for the seats I was very happy.

Equusz

Any Idea what their Ebay ID is?
post #205 of 564 Old 10-28-2008, 12:23 PM

Hmmm...good question. When I bought them it was "theaterseats4u" I think...but that doesn't show up as an ebay user anymore. I'll dig around a bit and see if I have it right. At any rate I don't see any of their offerings on ebay right now; you can usually tell it's a 4seating ebay ad because they always offer free buttshakers.

post #206 of 564 Old 11-01-2008, 11:32 AM

Just got back from a store called "Garden Ridge" they had decent theater seats for $199. They look a little like the ones sold at Kmart. These recliners/chairs come with 2 arms, and 2 cup holders. This store just opened a month ago and features a wide variety of things from furniture to art work, and even offers some other HT tidbits. It's like a Michaels, and Walmart plus furniture store combined. Really neat place.

http://www.gardenridge.com/ You can see a picture of the chair on there websight. Just click on where it says weekly specials, on the tab near the top right.
post #207 of 564 Old 11-02-2008, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layd Dly View Post

$5 is $5 to me . Anything that helps make it a better deal,

Good to see folks using common sense in these uncommon times. $5 can go towards purchasing a share or two in many large companies now that Wall Street has managed to make many a lot poorer.
post #208 of 564 Old 11-13-2008, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

For the guy that was looking for sub-$200 recliners, Value City has some micro-fiber recliners that they are advertising for $189 right now.
post #209 of 564 Old 11-15-2008, 07:23 AM

The Kmart in Clarksville IN.Louisville Ky area is having a going out of buisness sell.I stop their yesterday and they had the HT chairs for $189.I bought one of the 2 arm chairs.The wife and I really like it.They are very comfortable and for the money a great deal.I would not recommend these for large people but if your average weight they are fine.Wish the cup holder were a littel bigger.Cans fit fine but my beer glass will not 'BOO.They had quite a few left also.
post #210 of 564 Old 11-15-2008, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
any pics budda

Current Projects:

ON HOLD - Building Home Gym.
ON HOLD - Building Simulation Room (Eyefinity).
ON HOLD - Building Theater room (Sim2 HT380, 2.35 14ft wide).
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page