Cheap Home Theater Seating at K-Mart...yes, at K-Mart! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 564 Old 08-31-2008, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I hadn't seen these mentioned here before. I was surprised to see them at my local K-Mart this weekend. Not high-end by any means, but for a budget-minded person, it might be fine. I snooped around for any 10% off first purchase with a hK-Mart /Sears card, but the only extra they're running now is $10 off your first $200 purchase... woot! a 5% discount at best...

Anyway, for a row of 3 with tax in my state it would be about $750.00

http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_1...+seat&sLevel=0

Steven

Roger Ebert--"This is one more pathetic example of the dumbing of America--to show the films in the wrong aspect ratio to placate the stupid, instead of in the right aspect ratio to reward the knowledgeable."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 564 Old 09-01-2008, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
What was the quality like? Now, I'm not expecting Berkline quality, but then again, I can't afford Berkline.
post #3 of 564 Old 09-01-2008, 09:28 AM

Did it come in black?
post #4 of 564 Old 09-01-2008, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbhxray View Post

Did it come in black?

They only come in black, faux leather.
The 2-arm is 33 in L x 37 in W x 41 in H
the one arm is 28 in L x 37 in W x 41 in H (connect as many as you want)
cupholders are included and dying for a little DIY LED mod
There was no display model so I can't comment on the quality of the mechanism, but for $250 (2 arm) and $219 (1 arm) it would be hard to complain about much... I believe shipping is free if they drop them at your nearest kmart(!)

Taking off is optional. Landing is not.
post #5 of 564 Old 09-01-2008, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Doesn't seem like a bad deal for budget conscious purchase. Are you buying these? if so let us know how they fair.
post #6 of 564 Old 09-01-2008, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
How can the 1-arm and 2-arm be the same width?

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

post #7 of 564 Old 09-01-2008, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member

I don't know. I mean, it could have stapled or glued-together frame construction that may not show its weakness for several months.

Robin: "You can't get away from Batman that easy!"
Batman: "Easily."
Robin: "Easily."
Batman: "Good grammar is essential, Robin."
Robin: "Thank you."
Batman: "You're welcome."
post #8 of 564 Old 09-01-2008, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Am I buying? I'm considering them. My wife isn't crazy about the idea, as I have a row of actual theater seats (which rock).

Steven

Roger Ebert--"This is one more pathetic example of the dumbing of America--to show the films in the wrong aspect ratio to placate the stupid, instead of in the right aspect ratio to reward the knowledgeable."
post #9 of 564 Old 09-01-2008, 07:45 PM

I was at Kmart today and saw these seats and actually sat in them...they are not bad at all.....very comfy actually. Cup Holders area little small but they are very decent, considering the price. Just my .02.

Konabound2010
post #10 of 564 Old 09-02-2008, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu View Post

How can the 1-arm and 2-arm be the same width?

I think the L dimensions is the width. Is shorter in the one arm model.
post #11 of 564 Old 09-02-2008, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

I'm considering as well, though I'd have to see them before I buy. Wonder if you could order them through Sears, have them shipped to the store and if you don't like them, not buy them? (No local Kmart.) Probably not a cool thing to do though.

If anybody picks these up, or can take some pics in the store.... You would be this thread's hero.
post #12 of 564 Old 09-03-2008, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

How close can you put them to a wall, i.e. do they have wall-away feature?
post #13 of 564 Old 09-03-2008, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweakophyte View Post

How close can you put them to a wall, i.e. do they have wall-away feature?

For $250 each, I can't imagine them having too many features of any kind...

Run to your nearest K-Mart and kick the tires! Take them for a spin!

Steven

post #14 of 564 Old 09-04-2008, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
This is very close to the price of some of the Coaster seats. So, consider that... the Coasters actually have real leather where it counts.

The Moderno Theatre! Slideshow (here, and here!)
Pixar screenplay slideshows here!
post #15 of 564 Old 09-04-2008, 09:51 AM

The info say as this:
"Designed for you to kick back and relax with ease in this recliner with an extended footrest. Or join one or more 1-arm recliners with a 2-arm home theater recliner to create a love seat or custom row seating. "

Can I make a Love seat between two singles?
post #16 of 564 Old 09-04-2008, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Good View Post

Anyway, for a row of 3 with tax in my state it would be about $750.00

http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_1...+seat&sLevel=0

Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnolivos View Post

This is very close to the price of some of the Coaster seats. So, consider that... the Coasters actually have real leather where it counts.

Steven,
just my 2 cents...I like good bargains like the next J6P, and at first blush this seems like a good deal...but the more I read through it the more I get disappointed (3 x Faux Leather Seats at $750 = Each seat at $250!) That is a lot of money for a faux leather or pleather seats.

You can spend about $50 more per seat and buy the 100% italian leather Coaster Showtime Seats from http://hometheatersupplies.net. Speak with the owner Dave, and he will make you a deal. I was able to buy a total 7 seats for a little over $2100 total (shipping included + no taxes), thats $300 per seat Shipped to my door, and they are geniune leather, and they fully recline which means you can pause the reclining at any point, its not one of those 1-2-3 position recliners, I believe you can recline to any certain point and stop, the reclining mechanism has a life time warranty I believe, and they are configurable to be used as a love seat as well. When I spoke with Dave I asked him about the love seat configuration, and he said that you can alter the configuration, and he would be willing to walk me through it whenever I needed to make the change. He was a pleasure to work with, and he even held on to my seats for 4-5 weeks until I was able to receive them.

You can view them using the link below (4th picture down):
http://hometheatersupplies.net/Furniture.html

I received the seats yesterday and they were AMAZING! By the way, the same Coaster Showtime seating sells for up to 50% more on other HT websites. I have verified that no one out there that I know of will touch the deal that Dave from Home Theater Supplies hooked me up with, so I say hit him up, you're only saving $50 per seat, if its a money issue, I would wait until I have the extra cash to get the better seats.
post #17 of 564 Old 09-04-2008, 12:31 PM

That is plain wrong. Coaster Showtimes use leather from China, and only use that leather on the seating surfaces. Everything else on that seat is vinyl. The Showtime is a good value, but to say it is made from 100% Italian leather is very misleading.

I know, because I have owned my Showtimes for 2 years now. I think your dealer may be guilty of a bit of puffery.
post #18 of 564 Old 09-04-2008, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor4 View Post

That is plain wrong. Coaster Showtimes use leather from China, and only use that leather on the seating surfaces. Everything else on that seat is vinyl. The Showtime is a good value, but to say it is made from 100% Italian leather is very misleading.

I know, because I have owned my Showtimes for 2 years now. I think your dealer may be guilty of a bit of puffery.

I believe you, but thats what the website, and most other sites say about these seats (100% leather everywhere you touch)....I opened one of the boxes yesterday and as far as I can tell its italian leather everywhere I touched. So if there were some fake leather somewhere on the surface then it looks pretty geniuine to me

IMHO, these Coaster Showtime seats are the best bang for your buck, especially when K-Mart is selling 100% Faux Leather for only $50 less.
post #19 of 564 Old 09-04-2008, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member

Ok, I'm cheap. That hometheatersupplies.net link was interesting. Has anybody else done business with these folks?

Luckily for me, my wife doesn't want leather or fake leather. This is what really piqued my interest: For $550, that seems like a GREAT deal. Wonder if shipping is extra?

Can anybody comment on these, please?

I especially like the obviously fake fireplace in the back!

Also come in synthetic leather for the same price.

post #20 of 564 Old 09-04-2008, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Ruhl View Post

Ok, I'm cheap. That hometheatersupply.net link was interesting. Has anybody else done business with these folks?

Luckily for me, my wife doesn't want leather or fake leather. This is what really piqued my interest: For $550, that seems like a GREAT deal. Wonder if shipping is extra?

Can anybody comment on these, please?

I especially like the obviously fake fireplace in the back!

Also come in synthetic leather for the same price.

The seats dont face the TV?

Those look like the cheap Coasters Ive seen elsewhere, I think they are called Matinee.

I recently purchased a row of 3 Coaster showtimes from Dave at hometheatersupplies.net. I think it was on a recommendation from DamnSam on another thread, I cant seem to find it now though. Anyways, I can agree with DamnSam, Dave is very easy to work with, and the process was as smooth as I can imagine. Shipping took less than a week. I ordered on Thursday last week and got them yesterday. I paid $999 for the row of 3 shipped to my curb. They are still sitting in my garage in the boxes though, waiting on carpet to be installed next Wednesday. I opened one of the boxes and I can agree, they feel like the same very soft leather all around, no vinyl that I can detect. I will give a better review when I set them up next week. Happy so far though.

post #21 of 564 Old 09-04-2008, 02:53 PM
Advanced Member

Yes, a search (yeah, yeah, I know) revealed that those are the Coaster Matinee variety. Look like a much more viable option than the Kmart deal (and >$200 cheaper).
post #22 of 564 Old 09-04-2008, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb03 View Post

The seats dont face the TV?

Those look like the cheap Coasters Ive seen elsewhere, I think they are called Matinee.

I recently purchased a row of 3 Coaster showtimes from Dave at hometheatersupplies.net. I think it was on a recommendation from DamnSam on another thread, I cant seem to find it now though. Anyways, I can agree with DamnSam, Dave is very easy to work with, and the process was as smooth as I can imagine. Shipping took less than a week. I ordered on Thursday last week and got them yesterday. I paid $999 for the row of 3 shipped to my curb. They are still sitting in my garage in the boxes though, waiting on carpet to be installed next Wednesday. I opened one of the boxes and I can agree, they feel like the same very soft leather all around, no vinyl that I can detect. I will give a better review when I set them up next week. Happy so far though.

Shipping is not included in these prices, but depending on where you live and as long you as you dont live in Colorado, Utah, or Wyoming (Rockies region) shipping should be about $150-$200 or so...I had tp pay $300 to have 7 shipped to Colorado, apparently its more costly to ship furniture to Colorado or surrounding states.

I am glad I wasn't the only one who didnt detect vinyl...again, all 7 of my seats are still in boxes, I partially opened one of the boxes to see how they feel and they felts GREAT!!!

As far as my experience ordering from HomeTheaterSupplies, it has been more than satisfactory. Dave really just needs to update his website, most people can be turned off by a poor or outdated website design, but I was able to save a few hundred bucks over the other home theater supply stores for the same row of seats.
post #23 of 564 Old 09-04-2008, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Ruhl View Post

Yes, a search (yeah, yeah, I know) revealed that those are the Coaster Matinee variety. Look like a much more viable option than the Kmart deal (and >$200 cheaper).

WOW! cheaper than K-Mart, make sure you dont tell Dave that.
post #24 of 564 Old 09-04-2008, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnsam77 View Post

Shipping is not included in these prices, but depending on where you live and as long you as you dont live in Colorado, Utah, or Wyoming (Rockies region) shipping should be about $150-$200 or so...I had tp pay $300 to have 7 shipped to Colorado, apparently its more costly to ship furniture to Colorado or surrounding states.

Just went back (10 minutes later) and the price is now $899 at checkout, ("including $199 shipping") but still $549 on the main page of the theater seating site. ("one row of 3 $549.00" 549+199 = $748) I don't get it. And still confused about shipping.

I swear, 10 minutes ago they were $549 with $0 shipping. Oh well.
post #25 of 564 Old 09-05-2008, 06:40 AM

Looks like Kmart is going to have these on sale this coming week, 199 for the 1 arm chair and 230 for the 2 arm. It would be very interesting if you could switch which side you want the 1 arm side on. This would give you the option of having a love seat in the middle and two singles on the ends... If this is the case you could get a 4 seater for 830 bucks, which doesn't seem too bad. If anyone has purchased these and can comment it'd be greatly appreciated!
post #26 of 564 Old 09-05-2008, 06:51 AM

that is a good price. While my theatre is far from done, For short money you could buy 2 rows. But I'll be honest, I have some pleather seating I bought from walmart for cheap money a while ago. The stuff is so unbelievably cold in the winter. I had to put slip covers over them for this reason.
post #27 of 564 Old 09-05-2008, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnsam77 View Post

I am glad I wasn't the only one who didnt detect vinyl...again, all 7 of my seats are still in boxes, I partially opened one of the boxes to see how they feel and they felts GREAT!!!

As far as my experience ordering from HomeTheaterSupplies, it has been more than satisfactory. Dave really just needs to update his website, most people can be turned off by a poor or outdated website design, but I was able to save a few hundred bucks over the other home theater supply stores for the same row of seats.

Shipping is included in my price. I paid $999 and had a row of 3 Coaster Showtimes shipped to my curb. I live in deep South Texas. I agree, his website is horrible and I probably would not have considered purchasing from them if not for the positive review on another thread.

post #28 of 564 Old 09-05-2008, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb03 View Post

Shipping is included in my price. I paid $999 and had a row of 3 Coaster Showtimes shipped to my curb. I live in deep South Texas. I agree, his website is horrible and I probably would not have considered purchasing from them if not for the positive review on another thread.

I knew your figure included the shipping, I was refering to the prices on the website, they dont include shipping.

Chris,
I would not bother with the website and would just call Dave directly on the 800 number listed on the site, he will make sure you get the website price, even if the store price has gone up, but again I believe you still have to pay shipping.
post #29 of 564 Old 09-05-2008, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
I think there is a Coaster powerbuy going on now?

The Moderno Theatre! Slideshow (here, and here!)
Pixar screenplay slideshows here!
post #30 of 564 Old 09-05-2008, 11:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Am I the first guinea pig?

I picked up one of the 2-arm models today. If it goes on sale for $230 I'll get my $20 refunded. It fit in the back of my Yaris but only without the cardboard box.

Assembly was very easy: just attach the feet and slide the back-rest down onto the metal supports. It doesn't weigh a whole lot so fairly easy to move around and tip over sideways if necessary.

No wall-away feature as you can see in the photos. The attachment brackets are only on the left-hand (sitting in chair) side.

Unlike the Coasters that I got a while back, this one has no release pull for the reclining mechanism and also no good place to mount bass shakers (if you're into that sort of thing). To recline you just push back.

The fake leather feels comfy to me. Probably won't last a real long time, but this is only an "occasional use" chair so no big deal for me.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

Jeremy Gillow
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page