Dedicated Entertainment Room Build Questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 01-20-2009, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Recently my wife and I purchased a home in Pennsylvania (New Build). The thing that sold us was the ability to set up a entertainment room downstairs. Being that our basement isn't overly huge, we have to plan how much room to dedicate to each room.

With that said, we have hired a contractor to frame, run electric, install can lights, and hang and prep drywall. At the time, my wife was undecided on what color carpet/wall she wanted to go with. We are only dedicating just under 400 sq foot for this room as we need to keep a storage area and eventually add in another bedroom downstairs.

I have already ordered most of the accessories that I would need to get my HT stuff downstairs. I have since purchased a 21U rail kit with 5 shelves ranging from 4U to 2U. I will only be using 12U but wanted the option to add more to it. Also purchased a Peerless mount for my LG LCD TV, wall mounts to mount my Bose Cubes (I know, I know.. Its what I had so thats what I am going to use for the time being ). A plate to run my HDMI cables and such through for the TV.

Here are my questions:

1. Is it acceptable to run a power cord (For the LCD TV) though the wall plate that will be used to run the cables through? (Plate with the sock). The wall will not have drywall on the back side, it will be an unfinished portion of the basement. There will be an electrical jack on the back side so it won't be running through the walls other then through that plastic plate. I tried searching but couldn't find a definitive answer as it wasn't running between the walls.

2. I will be hanging my Bose Speakers which will be set up for 5.1. I do plan on upgrading to in wall speakers over time. I assume that I should run additional speaker cables along with the stock Bose cable. Is it wise to run the side speaker cables and leave them in the wall? And if so, what is the best way to secure them in the wall and get to them at a later time?

3. Adding trim to the rack opening that will be built into the wall, what is the best way to add trim to that? I assume I will need to have access to the front if I ever needed to add more shelves or move things around. I haven't received the Middle Atlantic Rails yet so I can't tell.

Sorry for the questions as this is my first time taking on this kind of project and want to make sure I am doing things the right way the first time. And I have read the forums and came up with a bunch of ideas with reading some threads here. Thanks in advance for the help.
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page