Berkline's "BONDED LEATHER". Felt it, seen it, know anything about it good or bad???? - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 81 Old 09-13-2011, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Any updates from the bonded leather users? Have they held up? I have dogs plus a 1 year old, so durability is very important.

Roman, are you going to carry the Lane 176 seats? Do you know when they might be available?

I need a straight 4 of seats, and am considering the Lane 176 Matrix (replacement for Berkline 12011) in black bonded. The upgrade to top grain is $800 for 4 seats, way to big of a price difference for me, unless the bonded is falling apart for people.

18.5ft x 14ft home theatre room with 120" screen and 7.1 sound

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 81 Old 09-13-2011, 04:09 PM
rsh
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Glimmerman911,

Contact me off line. I do not want to violate any forum rules. I will tell you everything about what's available and what is coming...

Roman
rtheaters.com
Fusion Collection Seating
Ultimate Home Entertainment
post #63 of 81 Old 09-13-2011, 08:35 PM

Liked: 10
post #64 of 81 Old 09-14-2011, 05:00 AM

Liked: 14
What about the distinctive smell of leather. Does the bonded leather have the leather smell?
post #65 of 81 Old 09-14-2011, 07:08 AM
rsh
AVS Special Member

Bonded leather does not smell. Leather will lose the smell in some period of time as well.

Roman
rtheaters.com
post #66 of 81 Old 09-15-2011, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68sting View Post
Still love mine!
Awesome, good to hear thank you!

post #67 of 81 Old 09-15-2011, 07:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsh View Post
Bonded leather does not smell. Leather will lose the smell in some period of time as well.
Will do, thank you Roman.

post #68 of 81 Old 09-16-2011, 11:40 AM

Polyurethane (bonded leather) is generally considered a better upholstery material than vinyl. And vinyl has been used in upholstery with good success for many years. Just like leather or vinyl, bonded is better if kept out of direct sunlight. Otherwise it is a good choice if you want to avoid the extra cost of real leather.

Randy Bowman
myHTseats.com
post #69 of 81 Old 09-17-2011, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member

Bonded leather is definitely the way I am going, thanks u for all your input!

post #70 of 81 Old 11-12-2013, 07:06 AM

Bonded leather is cheaper,a type of  reconstituted leather with vinyl added. Stay away from it.

I own a Berkline dual leather recliner sofa and matching rocker recliner. Purchased about 5 years ago. Both are top grain leather with back and sides made of vinyl. They look great,function without a problem,still like brand new. Berkline does still make furniture with top grain leather,but you have to request it or make sure the tag indicates that is is.

post #71 of 81 Old 11-12-2013, 08:40 AM
rsh
AVS Special Member

seabelle,

I think you need to straighten your facts - Berkline does not make anything - they have been liquidated, gone...

Bonded leather is not as bad as some people think about it. There are different bonded leathers out there, and depending on the quality some can outperform leather.

Roman
rtheaters.com
post #72 of 81 Old 11-12-2013, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

I ended up purchasing a high quality bonded leather, and have now had the chairs for over 2 years. The Fusion Escape series from Roman at rtheaters.com

I don't think you can group all bonded leather together, some of it is poor quality, some of it is high quality.

I am extremely happy with my high quality bonded leather, as I have big dogs and young kids that have jumped up and down on the furniture for 2 years, and I do not have a single scratch or wear mark. I cannot as for more than that, especially for the price.

And with high quality bonded leather, nobody knows the difference compared to full leather either, it has a leather grain/print on it, and looks and feels great, not plasticy at all.

Thank you Roman, your products are fantastic!
zuluwalker likes this.

post #73 of 81 Old 11-13-2013, 05:11 AM
CJO
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I agree with Glimmerman. After some trepidation, I purchased a set of 8 bonded leather chairs from Roman several years ago. They are performing great and still look like new.

coneilliv at aol dot com

The Dark Knight Theater
(a bunch of good reference links and material in first 15 posts)
post #74 of 81 Old 11-22-2013, 12:30 PM

Liked: 44
I have Berkline's bonded leather and I love how easy it is to clean and I think they are comfortable to sit in for hours.
post #75 of 81 Old 12-07-2013, 09:28 AM

My center chair,Chinese Berkline,bonded leather,motorized, purchased through Roman.The chair seems to have been peeling and chafing it is the most used,and seems to have occurred after an unseasonably hot humid sweaty summer. A Natuzzi smooth high grade leather sectional in the same space was still beautiful after more than ten years in the same space.
post #76 of 81 Old 12-07-2013, 09:33 AM

Also scratches show thru the bonded leather,as compared to a drum dyed leather that has color all the way through.
post #77 of 81 Old 12-07-2013, 09:46 AM

At *edited * per chair delivered, (great price and service from Roman) I think dollars spent on higher quality real leather would have been well worth it.
post #78 of 81 Old 02-03-2014, 08:20 PM

TommyP,

If that dont look like a blowdryer caused that bubbling. Why would you own a "Natuzzi" sectional, and have a bonded leather in rhe same room, let alone next to it. Sounds like a die hard leather sales pitch to me. Folks, bonded will last, but there are conditions. Make sure it is of higher quality bonded, check %. If it is used as regular seating, rub it down every two weeks with damp cloth very lightly; more often if used heavy. Dirt bad for all learher, but extreamly bad for bonded, will cause flaking if not cleaned regularly. Than follow every few months with a quality "bonded leather conditioner". Simply, take care of it more often and it WILL last. Avoid direct sun or a blowdryer as seen above, lol.
post #79 of 81 Old 02-04-2014, 07:32 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I purchased 3 Berkline 13714 (imports) chairs from Roman in February 2010 with bonded leather. One of my seat backs ripped about a year ago and I now have bubbling and tearing in a different chairs seat bottom.

For full disclosure, these chairs were in my modest theater room located in bonus room above a garage. It would get warm in there in the summer and I would often take my shirt off when sitting in my chair. My sweat would cause the seat back to stick to my skin when I would get up. I'm sure over time this contributed to my seat back tearing. I'm looking to purchase new chairs (probably the Escape's from Roman) but I'm very hesitant to buy bonded leather again. I'm leaning full leather or doing a custom order microfiber cloth covering.
Tommy P. likes this.
post #80 of 81 Old 04-08-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroijr407 View Post

TommyP,

If that dont look like a blowdryer caused that bubbling. Why would you own a "Natuzzi" sectional, and have a bonded leather in rhe same room, let alone next to it. Sounds like a die hard leather sales pitch to me. Folks, bonded will last, but there are conditions. Make sure it is of higher quality bonded, check %. If it is used as regular seating, rub it down every two weeks with damp cloth very lightly; more often if used heavy. Dirt bad for all learher, but extreamly bad for bonded, will cause flaking if not cleaned regularly. Than follow every few months with a quality "bonded leather conditioner". Simply, take care of it more often and it WILL last. Avoid direct sun or a blowdryer as seen above, lol.
Umm thats not very nice to accuse me of lying about the cause of the damage to my bonded polyethylene Berklines. I believe maybe YOU have a vested interest in obscuring the TRUTH? R you a salesman perhaps?
Its my personal experience that there is no such thing as high quality"bonded leather", and I feel its my best advice to others on this forum to think hard about mine and others real and honest feedback in order to avoid throwing away hard earned dollars, and enjoy a happy investment in thier home theater projects.
post #81 of 81 Old 05-16-2014, 01:47 PM
EdL

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
These are about 4 years old. I tried to fill in the cracks with dye, but the carcks& splits just keep on growing. I will spend the money on real leather and save in the long run. The cost to recover the 4 seats & arm rests with real leather is approx. $1,200 - $1,600. BondedLeather01.jpg 1577k .jpg file BondedLeather02.jpg 1995k .jpg file

EdL
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

User Tag List