AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by damnsam77 View Post

it should be fairly easy to poo the top off to refill

I'm really concerned now what's going on over here...

John

Loganed...finally. 6/6/08
My 3.0 HT Build Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 300 Old 11-07-2009, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
does anyone know the best place with the best $$$ were I can buy the new/lastest/greatest upgrated Paragon 2018.?
And is one with the top mounted thermostat avaiable??
post #273 of 300 Old 11-07-2009, 02:37 PM

Liked: 10
I don't think the all stainless steel version is available yet. I think damnsamm said it's still prototype stage?
post #274 of 300 Old 11-08-2009, 08:23 AM

Ok maybe damnsamm can shed more lite on this or anyone else have any info as to when the new revised all SS verson will be available ???
post #275 of 300 Old 11-09-2009, 02:24 PM

From the updated pictures, it would seem they are back to the floating vessel again! Unless the new insert doesn't require the water bath. I may take a look see inside mine and see how the heater part works. Not sure if it's a foil heater wrapped around the stainless vessel or a bottom heater.
post #276 of 300 Old 11-10-2009, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
Lori from Paragon has asked that I post this message to the forum:

"... anyone that has purchased a warmer that would like the replacement pieces to contact us at 1-800-433-0333"

I think Paragon appreciates the input and suggestions for the product to help make it better and of course wants everyone to be happy with the product. Take care, all.

Ken Lerch
StargateCinema.com
Home Theater Seating and Decor
HTSeating.com
Home Theater Seating

post #277 of 300 Old 11-10-2009, 10:05 AM

Just called her and got mine in the works. Thanks for posting this!
post #278 of 300 Old 11-10-2009, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

that was very nice of them to do that.
post #279 of 300 Old 11-10-2009, 07:18 PM

Agreed.
Paragon International is an upstanding comapnay with top-quality products and good value. They have recently issued a press release with even more focus on the home theater market. http://www.manufacturedfun.com/index...ssreleaseid=21
Enjoy!
post #280 of 300 Old 11-10-2009, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchyfrogs View Post

yes...are they sending us current owners this item?

Hey guys, sorry for the very very late reply, I've had quite the week so far...pretty eventful with a couple of family emergencies (everything is ok), in addition to fracturing a couple of ribs in a snowboarding accident over the weekend. But I was told that if the SS prototype is approved (not just by me, but by other consumer testers) that they would honor previous sales where previous owners will get the replacement, again pending approval of a working prototype

Anyhow, I just received the prototype SS container/top design in the mail today (11/10/09) and I immediately tested it when I got home and came here to leave my impressions and realizing that I should have checked this thread at least once a day, but again my head was in a million places and somehow I forgot to keep up with this thread since posting Lori's pictures, so please accept my apologies.

Ok my impressions:

So the SS container and the SS top DO NOT connect or snap together , on the other hand, the container does hang over the openning of the warner (where water is heated). And the SS top simply rests on top of the container. But since the SS container is not heavy enough on it's own (when empty), if you have too much water, it will unfortunatly float. So the key is to either always keep the SS container filled with lots of butter topping, or Simply just put enough water in the warmer where the surface of the water is barely touching the bottom of the SS container (that's what I did and it works great). Unless we follow what Midlife had suggested which is Forgetting about adding water and assume that metal will conduct heat where the SS container will conduct heat from the warmer by contact (not sure if it would work and I did not ask Lori if that was the intention - but I can ask her tomorrow)

Also it is important to note that we will all need to cut the length of the pumping straw by possibly 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch. Remember to the push the pumping straw all the way up inside the pump to make sure you aren't cutting too much (utility or kitchen knife will do)

The last thing is that since the new SS top does NOT snap on top if the SS container which rests over the openning (where water is heated), this means that the top is loose, but its heavy enough (w/ the pump and straw) to rest over the container and stay in place while pumping. So my only wish is that they would have made the top snap over the container, but , then again, that would make it hard to remove the top or unsnapping it without having to pick up the whole thing up and risk burning your hand by touching the hot container. So I say all in all, this is a GREAT improvement and as far as I am concerned, it's good enough for showtime

I would take pictures, but they will look exactly like the ones that Lori had sent me which I had shared with you last week. I sent Lori my impressions via email about 30 mins ago so hopefully the other testers, whomever they are, give the thumbs up as well.
post #281 of 300 Old 11-10-2009, 07:47 PM

Is it me or does that insert look like you won't actually need a water bath??

Anyone have an idea what the ideal temperature is for Superkist II??

Lori contacted me as well, they are sending me the newly redesigned insert to check it out. My bottle was deforming, actually seemed like it was melting. Also had some rust issues where the pieces for the insert came together. I thought they would have used stainless steel, but they didn't. I will post comments. I would suggest if you are having problems to contact Paragon, they are making good on their promise to fix their design issues...
post #282 of 300 Old 11-10-2009, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belusch View Post

Is it me or does that insert look like you won't actually need a water bath??

Anyone have an idea what the ideal temperature is for Superkist II??

Lori contacted me as well, they are sending me the newly redesigned insert to check it out. My bottle was deforming, actually seemed like it was melting. Also had some rust issues where the pieces for the insert came together. I thought they would have used stainless steel, but they didn't. I will post comments. I would suggest if you are having problems to contact Paragon, they are making good on their promise to fix their design issues...

I emailed my impressions to Lori, I hope to hear back from her tomorrow because I did ask if we even still need the water bath or if we can just heat up the new SS container by means of heat conduction like Midlife suggested. For now, I only tested it with little bit of water, and within minutes the water was too hot to touch. So if water bath is still needed, that's fine, adding a little bit of water did the trick.
post #283 of 300 Old 11-11-2009, 07:21 AM

Yes, please find out if this vessel needs to be floating in a water bath. I haven't used mine since my own mods a few pages back.
post #284 of 300 Old 11-11-2009, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Lori responded promptly as usual, so I guess the answer is a Yes to the water-free/dry heating method, but not recommended, however it doesn't sound like it would hurt anything other than having to wait an extra few minutes. worth a shot and I think it's a great idea.

Quote:

Sam,

It is best to have 2 cups of water in the heat well. You can heat it dry it may just take a little longer for your butter to get warm.

Thanks!
Lori

By the way, the extended nozzle placement on the new SS prototype is excellent! Sort of like it was with the last updated extended nozzle design, except it looks a heck of a lot cleaner. I am REALLY thinking of buying another one for Nachos when I finish building my bar, it would be freaking awesome to put them side by side and mark them (hot butter / Nachos), now we're talking!
post #285 of 300 Old 11-11-2009, 10:34 AM

How stable is the pump? Seems like it would wobble around when pumping. Looks like it just sits on top, moulded to the same contour as the bottle.
post #286 of 300 Old 11-11-2009, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidLife View Post

How stable is the pump? Seems like it would wobble around when pumping. Looks like it just sits on top, moulded to the same contour as the bottle.

You're exactly right with how the SS top does not snap to the vessel and simply sits lossley on top, moulded to the same contour as the bottle. But surprisingly enough, it's pretty stable when I was pumping, I even trying multiple full pumps in a row and the pump did not move or rotate in either directions. Its not perfect and I hate that it's loose, but if it does snap or attach to the vessel, it will make it a little harder and more dangerous to refill while hot, where you would have to pick up the vessel/top together to detach while still hot. In this new set up, you simply pick up the SS top which does not conduct much heat beyond a little escapes steam, but you simply pick up the top, pour in more butter and place the top back on.
post #287 of 300 Old 11-11-2009, 08:54 PM

Just curious why they didn't just make a water bath warmer for a #10 can?
It's the industry standard and pumps are already available. Just open the can, drop in and put the pump on top. Done.
post #288 of 300 Old 11-11-2009, 09:30 PM

I am wondering why they just didn't make a second insert, for sanitation issues to be easily cleaned, that would just slip into the existing hole and fill the entire space that didn't require a water bath and would just rely upon heat conduction. Then go ahead with the newly designed secured top by snap, screw on, etc... If you had to check on it, you could pull the whole assembly out by the pump and open it...
post #289 of 300 Old 11-12-2009, 05:02 AM

Got mine yesterday, I am not many miles from their location.

I will try it out in the next few days but if you put this item in a water bath it still doesnt correct the original problem of getting too hot. The bottle deforming issue is resolved obviously but the Spurkist will still be coming to too hot a temp on even my lowest setting. I will try it without water to see if it does anything different..
post #290 of 300 Old 11-12-2009, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Make sure you voice your concerns/ideas to Lori at Paragon so she can pass them on to the design team. I think SS upgrade was a much needed improvement but we're still dealing with a water bath set up. To be honest, all I did was place maybe one cup of water to initiate the heat/steam into the butter/nachos vessel. I think it's a pretty clean set up where you almost never have to remove the vessel, and just continue adding more butter by easily lifting the top. Of course, you will need to clean the vessel every few days or once a week. I also really think that you should be able to do the dry method but it may take a little longer to start getting hot, but that maybe what Crunchyfrogs just needs since his gets too hot to use.

Crunchy, you maybe able to get the entire thing replaced under warranty too, if you think it's defective.

P.S: if you need to contact Lori directly via email (rather than call), please PM me and I can give you her email addy. I just didn't want to post it out in the open.
post #291 of 300 Old 11-12-2009, 07:17 AM

I will email her about the replacement I think..once I have something I try and work around it but its probably best to replace this at some point just from the safety aspect.

I will email her my suggestions. If no one else's gets as hot as mine then I should just take it to her and not complain on here much since its a freak occurence. i am really happy with how they responded all this time to our complaints...this is a good USA company that deserves our well earned $$ IMO.
post #292 of 300 Old 11-12-2009, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Lori has just confirmed to be that the heating foils are in the side walls of the well, not the bottom. So that means the bath-less dry method should work by simple heat conduction, or at least I hope it will.
post #293 of 300 Old 11-14-2009, 07:14 AM

I just have the new pieces together at this point, I do not think it will wobble much when using it...if at all. Empty; when I push down on the dispenser it does not seem to wobble.

I will try filling just the dispenser with water and see what temp I get with no warm water bath...

Edit:

Did the first test trying to heat about a cup of water sans the water bath. Did not warm the water at all after 20 minutes on my low setting. My low setting runs hot and is a plastic bottle deformer. I cranked it up 50% and will see if that does anything.

After 15 minutes on my medium setting I noticed a very faint burning smell and could barely touch the unit, it was so hot. The water in the dispenser was barely warm. The vessel holding the water was warm but not hot by any means. You will not be able to warm liquids in this without a water bath. I have no problem with that but some people here were curious.
post #294 of 300 Old 11-15-2009, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quick review:

Just got back in town today, and the new cup design was waiting for me.

I added enough water (2.5 cups) to the inside unit to make the container float. It does wobble when empty. I then added 1 cup of water to the container. No more floating, and plenty steady when pumping.

I then set the thermostat as high as it would go, and put a candy thermometer in the container water. The ambient temp was 70 F. After 4 minutes, the temperature reached 75 F (as low as my thermometer would go). I took readings every 5 minutes for 1 hour. The voltage was 122 VAC, and the unit drew 1.67 Amps (203.75 Watts).

5 min = 85 F
10 min = 110 F
15 min = 125 F
20 min = 150 F
25 min = 165 F
30 min = 175 F
35 min = 185 F
40 min = 190 F
45 min = 195 F
50 min = 200 F
60 min = 200 F

So far I like the new design, but all I have heated is water. Steam does escape around the outer ring, and the water in the heated section barely reaches a boil at 1 hr.

I put some pictures and a couple short videos on my blog, link in sig.
post #295 of 300 Old 11-16-2009, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

I have to agree that simply adding a couple of cups of water is not such a hassle after all with the new design. I personally like it because it's much easier and cleaner now to add either water to the well, or more butter or nachos to the SS vessel without all the mess of unscrewing the plastic bottle, getting water all over the place if you still dont have the counter space (which is in my case since I don't have a bar built yet). This makes it easy where I can pour water into well once it evaporates, and also I can easily add more butter by simply picking up the pump/top and pouring more butter while in place. Once the vessel is full of butter, it stays fairly stable. There will always be a room for more improvement, but the same applies to every near-perfect consumer product ever made. I am happy with the changes they did and I am glad they followed through with our comments.
post #296 of 300 Old 11-23-2009, 05:24 PM

everybody get their update?
I didn't order mine, since, I basically accomplished the same result a few months ago. Just wonderring how everyone likes their new pump
post #297 of 300 Old 11-23-2009, 07:15 PM

I had a couple cancelled movie nights so I am still waiting to try it out full steam lol
post #298 of 300 Old 11-26-2009, 08:35 AM

The NEW & IMPROVED version of this appliance should be available the first week of December.
post #299 of 300 Old 12-02-2009, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakpakva View Post

...I put some pictures and a couple short videos on my blog, link in sig.

Great Blog, bakpakva, and VERY helpful videos. Thanks to the videos, I can now see that wobbling you guys have referred to, and it IS problematical. Shame they can't figure a way to secure it. Seems that it wouldn't take much to do that, and it would make the unit much more 'professional' in operation...

but I digress......
post #300 of 300 Old 08-31-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEG Concessions View Post

The NEW & IMPROVED version of this appliance should be available the first week of December.

I know its an old /long thread, But I was reading this giant thing because I was looking to get one of these.

They are Shipping the metal bottle now, even though some of there imagery does still show the bolts on top.
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page