HELP, Berkline Stuck - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 08-24-2009, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have Berkline 13175 in power option and its stuck in the up position. The chair is brand new and this is the first time that its been used. How do I get it back down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-24-2009, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
What does your power recline button look like?

Pam
post #3 of 15 Old 08-24-2009, 07:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Flip your seat over and you will see the power components. Try re-seating the phone-style connectors you see under the seat. There should be two- one that connects the switch to the power supply and once connecting the actuator to the power supply. If that does not work, you may have a faulty power supply. You can swap it with a unit from another seat to confirm.

Ken Lerch
StargateCinema.com
Home Theater Seating and Decor
HTSeating.com
Home Theater Seating

post #4 of 15 Old 08-24-2009, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I had a couple stuck Berklines as well but they were stuck in the full recline position. From what I've been read, it's typically one of three items: the button, actuator (pump like) or the power conditioner (small black box). On my Berks, one was a faulty button while on the other I had to replace the actuator. Not sure who you purchased them from but if they're brand new all the parts above should be covered under your warranty. If it was through Roman (rsh) he is the KING of customer service and will get you squared away.
post #5 of 15 Old 08-24-2009, 09:21 PM
rsh
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Randy40,

You need to diagnose the problem, and then contact the dealer you bought the chairs from so he/she can order you a proper replacement part.

As queendvd2 said, there are 3 components that participate in power recline:

1. Switch with the wires
2. Power transformer
3. Actuator.

First, check whether none of the wires got caught in the reclining mechanism and got cut. Second, unplug the wires from the transformer and plug them back in. If this does not help get the transformer from a working chair and test it on the malfunctioning one. If this fixes the problem you need a replacement transformer. If not, the chances are this is an actuator, but I would suggest plugging the switch from a working chair just to make sure that the switch is not a problem.

Hope this helps...

Roman
rtheaters.com
Fusion Collection Seating
Ultimate Home Entertainment
post #6 of 15 Old 08-25-2009, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

Hey Roman, Sounds good. I removed an arm from one of the chairs. Because I did that I cannot hook/connect another chair to the one that I removed the arm from. Looking at the other chairs it looks like all I need is a rail that attaches to the base of a chair so I can put the male stubs into the female hole. Do you have the rails in stock if not where can I get it from.
post #7 of 15 Old 08-25-2009, 11:10 AM
rsh
AVS Special Member

Randy,

The Berkline does not sell the parts for imported groups. They actually stopped selling the parts for the domestic ones as well - warranty issues...

I am not sure why you need to hook up the chairs together anyway - they should be quite heavy, and should not move especially if you put them on the carpet.

Roman
rtheaters.com
post #8 of 15 Old 08-28-2009, 04:16 AM - Thread Starter

I finally had a chance to look under the chair and have a few questions. There is a black box and a round looking object that's on the track. Which item should I change out? If its the round looking item how do I remove it. I started by removing the clip from the cotter pin so whats the next step?
post #9 of 15 Old 08-28-2009, 05:40 AM
Advanced Member

I would start by swapping out the power supply (the black box) since that is the easiest piece to remove and the most likely to fail. Then move on to the actuator (the round bar you're talking about) then the switch. You should be able to pull another chair up next to the broken one and use its power supply if you have enough slack in the cable that connects to it. This will help you prove if it is the power supply or not.

Ken Lerch
StargateCinema.com
HTSeating.com
Home Theater Seating

post #10 of 15 Old 08-28-2009, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

ok just removed the power supply and the chair is still stuck so I guess its the actuator. I am guessing the company will send me a replacement. I am correct?
post #11 of 15 Old 08-28-2009, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

It still could be the switch but not very likely. I would swap the actuator with another one and make sure that is what it is. The actuator is removed by removing the cotter pins you mentioned earlier. And yes, the retailer should be able to order the necessary parts for you.

Ken Lerch
StargateCinema.com
HTSeating.com
Home Theater Seating

post #12 of 15 Old 08-28-2009, 08:10 AM
rsh
AVS Special Member

I would also check the transformer that you have removed from the malfunctioning chair on the working one to double check that this is a bad transformer.

Roman
rtheaters.com
post #13 of 15 Old 08-28-2009, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsh View Post

I would also check the transformer that you have removed from the malfunctioning chair on the working one to double check that this is a bad transformer.

Definitely worth exploring. I discovered that a 'bad' transformer ended up working in another chair so sometimes it's not as straightforward as it might seem.
post #14 of 15 Old 09-01-2009, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help but let me tell everyone what happened. As I was above to remove the actuator I hooked everything back up to test the recliner once more. I pushed the button and now the chair is working but sporadically. It goes up fine but going down it keeps stopping. Now I an guessing its the switch. How do I remove the switch and does it sound like a wire is loose.
post #15 of 15 Old 09-01-2009, 08:00 PM
rsh
AVS Special Member

It could be a switch, but I think it is an actuator.

You can try to test the switch. Try to put the chair very close to a working one, and plug the switch from a working chair into the transformer.

You never said whether you have tested the transformer from the failed chair on the working one. Did you try that? You want to eliminate as many components as possible.

If you need to remove the switch, just pop the plastic ring that is around the switch up. You will see the screws under it. You will be able to unscrew and remove the switch.

Hope this helps.

Roman
rtheaters.com
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page