We need a programmer to develop a new Automated TICKET MAKER! - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 105 Old 12-31-2009, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Installed on two XP machines. No installation problems other than it did not create a shortcut on the desktop. I actually did the install three times on my machine to be sure that I haven't miss a check box during the install.

I copied the shortcut from the program menu onto the desktop. When I attempted to find an Icon to link to the shortcut, I could not find one. Yet, I see there is one when I use Alt-tab to switch programs. Could you put the icon somewhere where one could quickly find it? If I were you I would try to find one that might indicate better the purpose of Home Theater Automated Ticket Maker.

My wife played with it for almost a half hour and redesigned (color changes and fonts mostly) the Bugman ticket. She then saved and reopened it. All of the changes she had made were in place and ready to add the movie title, rating and movie start time.

She also liked the way you incorporated the date function! It makes really easy to print out tickets (with a future date) to be included in an mailed invitation to a movie night at our theater!

I did experiment with the Poster ticket. The results of the search function seems a little weird, but it is usable. For example, I tried to find "We were Soldiers". ---We were--- returned nothing. ---We--- returned title like "District 9" and "UP". Not sure what is happening....

Another item you might address is to close the "DOS" window that the Startatm.bat opens. I believe you can add a command at the end of the file to close the window.

I think you have wonderful progress between the 0.1 and the 0.2 updates!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 105 Old 12-31-2009, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolette View Post

Doh! Just saw you wanted me to install w/o admin privs. Let me run through some quick functional tests on the one I already installed and I'll redo it as a non-admin user.

And I obviously need more Diet Dr. Peppers this morning... You can't run the installer as a normal user on Vista (well, without getting escalated privs by having an admin enter their password).

Jay
post #63 of 105 Old 12-31-2009, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
i hate java

Current Projects:
IN PROGRESS (80%) - Building 3D Theater room.
IN PROGRESS (30%) - Building Lounge/Hallway Area.
IN PROGRESS (15%) - Building Home LAN (4 PCs).
ON HOLD - Building Home Gym.
ON HOLD - Building Simulation Room (Eyefinity).
ON HOLD - Building Theater room (Sim2 HT380, 2.35 14ft wide).
post #64 of 105 Old 01-01-2010, 06:02 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I feel your pain elmalloc, I've just spent several hours dealing with Vista install permissions.

I think I have the vista install problems fixed. Or at least the windows executable is set to fix the permissions during install. This has only been tested on one vista laptop and my XP virtual machine but things seem to be working. Jay give it another try please?

Also fixed the "extra command window" thing at run time. Got rid of the start bat script that was causing that. The "universal" install should work on XP too. I didn't add the vista permission script to it at this point. Figure have people test the other one first...

As noted by frank1940, Icons and stuff need to be added and I have yet to do that...also I assume there will be windows 7 permission issues too...anyone try installing there yet?
post #65 of 105 Old 01-01-2010, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djb61230 View Post

I think I have the vista install problems fixed. Or at least the windows executable is set to fix the permissions during install. This has only been tested on one vista laptop and my XP virtual machine but things seem to be working. Jay give it another try please?

Be happy to, but I don't see a new version on the download page yet.
post #66 of 105 Old 01-01-2010, 08:12 AM

I just overwrote the old one since it's the same source code base. To verify I just downloaded and did a diff and it's the one with the vista changes.
post #67 of 105 Old 01-01-2010, 08:34 AM

Gotcha. Tried it out and the shortcut for ATM is still using a hardcoded (and incorrect for my system) path for the JRE.

The target for the shortcut is: C:\\Windows\\system32\\javaw.exe -jar bin\\felix.jar

It should be: "C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Java\\jre6\\bin\\javaw.exe" -jar bin\\felix.jar

Once I fixed the path problem on the shortcut, it worked. Presumably you just need to use the $JAVA_HOME variable in your XML.

Close!

BTW, with this latest version, after running the install, Vista is highlighting the new menu category as a newly installed app like it normally does. The earlier versions didn't do that.

Jay
post #68 of 105 Old 01-01-2010, 09:12 AM

I think it's using that Java because it's the first one it finds in the PATH.

What I'm working with here is a bit confusing I must admit. I do have an installer JAVA_HOME variable available, but that is an internal variable to the installer. My guess is that you are referring to the environment variable JAVA_HOME. Now looking on my XP it's not even defined.

I'll need to research some more...

You probably already said this...are you saying that the C:\\Windows\\system32\\javaw.exe that it sets the shortcut to is not a Java 6 runtime?
post #69 of 105 Old 01-01-2010, 10:43 AM

Quote:

I think it's using that Java because it's the first one it finds in the PATH.

There's no java.exe or javaw.exe in my path at all.

Quote:

What I'm working with here is a bit confusing I must admit. I do have an installer JAVA_HOME variable available, but that is an internal variable to the installer. My guess is that you are referring to the environment variable JAVA_HOME. Now looking on my XP it's not even defined.

No, I meant the installer JAVA_HOME variable. I looked up the docs on IzPack real quick because I figured it would be quicker to specifically name what I meant instead of trying to describe it

FWIW, I double checked and the only Java related environment variable on my system is CLASSPATH (and that is pretty generic other than what QT added to it).

Quote:

You probably already said this...are you saying that the C:\\Windows\\system32\\javaw.exe that it sets the shortcut to is not a Java 6 runtime?

More specifically, there are no "java*.exe" under c:\\windows\\system32. They are all in the JRE path I mentioned in my previous post.

Jay
post #70 of 105 Old 01-01-2010, 11:12 AM

Man Jay you are WAAAAY ahead of me! I added the $JAVA_HOME and tested here on XP and Vista and all worked. Added to the universal also and worked fine with Ubuntu.

You rock Jay, thank you so much for spending time helping with this. Please give her one more go...
post #71 of 105 Old 01-01-2010, 11:26 AM

Third time's the charm! Thanks for fighting through that... I know installers are boring. Back to the fun parts now!

Jay
post #72 of 105 Old 01-27-2010, 06:49 PM

With the super bowl coming up I decided to make another release. I've been busy on other projects and this release contains just a few minor fixes but it does include a new "Special Ticket".

That style is less "movie" oriented and was inspired by the Superbowl Graphic for Ticket Makers thread.

Here is the announcement on my site.

I hope it's useful!
post #73 of 105 Old 02-25-2010, 05:59 AM

Quote:

With the super bowl coming up I decided to make another release. I've been busy on other projects and this release contains just a few minor fixes but it does include a new "Special Ticket".

That style is less "movie" oriented and was inspired by the Superbowl Graphic for Ticket Makers thread.

Here is the announcement on my site.

I hope it's useful!

Hi.....quick note of thanks for your awesome template!!
Started playing around with it in anticipation of an upcoming party for family/friends.
I'll post a photo of the final sample before print.
post #74 of 105 Old 02-25-2010, 06:00 AM

Any suggestions out there for printing stock for these tickets?
post #75 of 105 Old 02-25-2010, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratemonkey View Post

Any suggestions out there for printing stock for these tickets?

Yes, we use 90 lbs card stock. You can find it at any of the national chain office stores.
post #76 of 105 Old 03-03-2010, 12:50 PM

Great work on this I really appreciate it.
post #77 of 105 Old 03-04-2010, 06:01 AM

Just wanted to send a quick note of THANKS for your help, etc with the various ticket making templates.

I made a couple over the weekend as my 1st trial (see below).

Post more/different designs in the near future.

LL
LL
post #78 of 105 Old 03-11-2010, 09:49 AM

I just tried this out last night and really like it and set to work on one for an upcoming event.

One question though, I tried editing the 'admit one family' text, but it wouldn't let me. I figured it should be able, and tried a reinstall (figured it couldn't hurt) but no luck. Am I missing something, or can it not be edited? (It looks like piratemonkey was able to edit it though...) I was trying to edit that text and replace it with the guest's name.

Thanks.
post #79 of 105 Old 03-12-2010, 11:47 AM

There are some fields that are not editable for text. My thinking was there are some fields that are static in their text value, but one would like to change the color and font to their liking.

These editing "decisions" are made in the ticket design and the only way to change it is to change code. The idea being that as people came up with ticket style ideas they can be added later.

What I could do is make a new ticket style that has this change. I'll work on it this weekend and send you a PM when it's ready.

Or if you (or anyone) have other preferences or ideas on the layout of a ticket I can do that too. Perhaps mock something up in an image editor. I can then take that image and write the code to define the ticket style. About the only tip I have is work on an image that is 640x222, then I would think I could reproduce it pretty closely.
post #80 of 105 Old 03-15-2010, 09:19 AM

djb61230,

Thanks for clearing that up. I had thought that there was an error in my install that made me not able to edit that field. I didn't mean to make more work for you (the program is really great for adding that extra something to a movie night ), but being able to edit it would be nice too.

I have nothing of value to add as far as ideas for other tickets. I like the ones you have now, and if more come along, then great, but I'm a tad creatively challenged , so I'll stick to what others have come up with.

Thanks for all the hard work with the program.
post #81 of 105 Old 03-16-2010, 07:56 PM
Advanced Member

I've been away from the forum for quite a looooonnng time (enjoying my theater too much). Glad to see someone did some work coding on this. I think someone else in my Excel thread posted a web app version too. Glad to see you're also distributing it free and open source. I maintained copyright on my Excel creation, so people wouldn't attempt to improve upon mine and try to make money on it. I created mine as a gift back to this forum that helped me sooooo much in my HT construction (BTW, I'm right now typing this note on my 10-foot HT projector screen!! I LOVE HOME THEATER!). Woohoo.
post #82 of 105 Old 03-17-2010, 05:05 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

Mr Logan: You remind me of a question I wanted to ask everyone. If you used the excel version, how did you print it from there? Was there a way to print many tickets on a page? What paper did you use?

The other day I stopped by Staples to see if they had "ticket stock". They didn't but I hadn't taken the time to see if it was available online somewhere. Do you think it is?

scaesare: Definitely can use your testing on win7. I run Ubuntu and have XP in a virtual box so I can test there. Also could use a Mac tester at some point.

I have to say that I have some questions about the printing functionality. Java is very cross-platform but if I'm to run into an issue, it would be printing. Then again the "ticket" ends up as just an Image so it seems like there shouldn't be too much of a problem. In the next day or so I'm going to add "Export to an Image File" function and just use the system tools to print out the image to get an idea on the quality. Hopefully it will be good.

I worked on the Excel version a little. I'd be glad to be a Mac tester.

Well, I just downloaded v0.3 and it won't install. I have version 1.5.0 something JAVA and your app needs 1.6. Apple supplies Java changes through Software Update and my system is up to date. When did 1.6 become available?
post #83 of 105 Old 06-16-2010, 09:47 PM

This software is awesome,djb you deserve an AVS Oscar for "Most kick @ss software for the home theater market" I literally woke my gf up to show her my first printed page of test tickets,needless to say she was impressed,she also wasn't sure why I couldn't have waited till the morning to show her,ahh women ,they can be silly sometimes :P haha
post #84 of 105 Old 11-21-2010, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Tried this out and it works realy great, wife loves it. One problem though, went to print them and all kinds of block outlines print that aren't on the screen, and part of the image is covered by blocks also. Any Ideas?
post #85 of 105 Old 11-29-2010, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Mudder View Post

Tried this out and it works realy great, wife loves it. One problem though, went to print them and all kinds of block outlines print that aren't on the screen, and part of the image is covered by blocks also. Any Ideas?

Well the trickiest part is always the printing. It's hard to visualize exactly what you describe. Any chance you can post a picture of the output? I don't have the software handy here to test, but perhaps you can "print to a file" and then attach that file here?

I'll check this tonight when I get home. I think the ticket will print some light gray rectangles that might not be obvious on screen. I can always design a new ticket without them with little effort.
post #86 of 105 Old 11-29-2010, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well the trickiest part is always the printing. It's hard to visualize exactly what you describe. Any chance you can post a picture of the output? I don't have the software handy here to test, but perhaps you can "print to a file" and then attach that file here?

I'll check this tonight when I get home. I think the ticket will print some light gray rectangles that might not be obvious on screen. I can always design a new ticket without them with little effort.

I will try and do that when I get home tonight. I can print to a PDF file.
post #87 of 105 Old 11-29-2010, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

See if you can open this file.

ticket.zip 188.74609375k . file
post #88 of 105 Old 11-30-2010, 06:08 AM

Thanks for posting the picture. Yeah it's messed up and I see what you are saying now.

On my machine I made the same ticket (changed colors, text and downloaded the same image) and it prints correctly. To debug this I could use some more info and help from you:

1) Have you printed any other tickets with success, or do all end up messed up?

2) Could you try making the same ticket but not adding the image? Perhaps the scaling of the image is ruining things.

3) Could you just do a "New" ticket and try to print without changing anything. Does it print messed up?

4) What version of windows? What printer?

This would help narrow things down I think.
post #89 of 105 Old 11-30-2010, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for posting the picture. Yeah it's messed up and I see what you are saying now.

On my machine I made the same ticket (changed colors, text and downloaded the same image) and it prints correctly. To debug this I could use some more info and help from you:

1) Have you printed any other tickets with success, or do all end up messed up?

2) Could you try making the same ticket but not adding the image? Perhaps the scaling of the image is ruining things.

3) Could you just do a "New" ticket and try to print without changing anything. Does it print messed up?

4) What version of windows? What printer?

This would help narrow things down I think.
1) That was the only one I had tried

2) Did #3 instead

3) I just did a new ticket and printed with no changes, same results, I attached a new file

4) Vista, HP 6840

Thanks for looking into it

TICKET2.zip 194.1923828125k . file
post #90 of 105 Old 01-31-2011, 07:00 PM

I downloaded this on Sunday and it seemed to work fine. I did have to set the properties on the icon to "Run as Administrator" in Windows 7. Worked like a charm after that.
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page