IKEA blackout shades - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 12-10-2009, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey everyone, I don't know if this is a new item or not, but I've never seen them in store before here in SoCal. IKEA sells blackout shades ranging from $15 to $40 dollars, depending on the width. They are all 77 inches long. They work really well if you're looking for a cheap solution to darken your theatre room, or any room. I was able to black out my entire room for a little under $100. A little light leaks through, but in my situation, the light doesn't interfere with the projection. It's a cheap solution, but it works for me.

I quoted custom blackout shades for my HT room and it came out to almost $2000, so the IKEA variety was a no brainer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-11-2009, 03:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I use curtains that I bought from Target, blackout fabric from Joann's and shades from Home Depot to darken my room. I safety pinned the blackout fabric behind the non-lined curtains.
post #3 of 8 Old 12-11-2009, 04:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Black-out shades, coupled with Black-out curtains are a pretty good combo. The shades always have light leak from around the edges. The curtains do a good job of picking up most of the light that the shades don't get.

post #4 of 8 Old 12-11-2009, 06:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I use foam rubber covered in black felt behind my black out shades. The foam rubber is cut to 1 inch extra around all sides and comforms and covers the entire window with a snug fit. Complete coverage for zero light leakage.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #5 of 8 Old 12-11-2009, 08:09 PM

Thanks for posting, never thought of Ikea for something like this. I am finishing up my HT now and this is exactly what I need!
post #6 of 8 Old 12-13-2009, 01:07 AM
Advanced Member

I got my blackout cloth from Jo-Ann's fabric for $3-5 (depending if on sale at the time) per yard.
post #7 of 8 Old 12-13-2009, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioSehnsucht View Post

I got my blackout cloth from Jo-Ann's fabric for $3-5 (depending if on sale at the time) per yard.

how does this work? does it really do a good job of light control?
post #8 of 8 Old 12-13-2009, 11:03 PM
Advanced Member

to look at, it's plain white sheets coming off the roll (bolt?) (I think 66" wide)

So, being white, it'll reflect light within the room as well, it's not actually black. If you want to control the light in the room itself you may want something else covering it.

But blocking out sunlight (and the heat it would bring) it works great. I've had this up on all my bedroom windows at my apartment for some time first to reduce cooling needs (horribly inefficient apartment, hardly any insulation) but now that I work nights its even better to have a dark room to sleep in (since I sleep during the day, and blinds never block all the light).

To hang this, you'll need to sew a flap over (had my mom do this, since I haven't a sewing machine) so that you can run a rod or such through it to hang it. Alternatively, you can hang it up with staples or push pins or something. Just hanging it there'll be gaps at the sides (hanging away from the wall normally) and bottom (due to sill making it not sit flush to wall). But you can hang it to put it up easily, then pin the sides flat to the walls so that there's no gaps.

It's pretty effective at blocking light and heating from the sun - it's useless to prevent heat escaping (it's blocking the incoming light/radiation from the sun that brings heat, but has no insulation value inherent to prevent heat from crossing the material from conduction. (it isn't helping to keep the place warm in the winter - I'd be better off removing it and hoping for a little solar heating).

Walmart also carries prefab BC ready to hang but its like $25 for one window's worth. Easier, since its premade for hanging, but more expensive.
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page