AVS Forum banner

What's a reasonable amount to budget for seating?

6K views 41 replies 21 participants last post by  christer W. 
#1 ·
I'm starting to look at HT seating and I'm wondering what ballpark I should be in. I recently bought a micro-fiber LA-Z-BOY rocker/recliner and it was around $600. You wouldn't use a row of rockers in a HT would you? I'd think the rocking could be distracting. Anyway, what's a good chair or set of chairs run for the application? What $/seat is reasonable? Any super sweet deals out that anyone is aware of?

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsh /forum/post/18296769

I am going to say it again - in most cases you get what you pay for...

Except with Roman not only do you get great prices on the Berks but also great service to boot!

Asking for a ballpark budget is incredibly tough since it depends on so many factors (i.e. # chairs, leather vs bonded vs micro, motorized, personal comfort level, etc.). Best advice is to go out and do some testing. Admittedly, I only tested a couple cheap ones in Costco and then took a blind leap of faith buying chairs I never sat in from a guy I never met over the internet. If you've had a chance to test a few models Roman can give you his honest feedback on how other models would stack up against them.

#8 ·
$500 a seat is a good number for budgeting. For that price you can leather combinations from Roman. Sure, some models/styles are more but some are less.

I spent close to that for each of my 3 chairs in the first row, but for the second row, I bought a leather sofa locally that matched very well with the Berkline chairs. I think I may have spent 500 for the entire sofa and it seats 3 comfortably.

Best of luck.

#9 ·
$1k/chair must be a kick ass chair! Do you have buttkickers in them?

A big "thanks" to everyone who's contributed. I'm just looking for a rough estimate for the entire build I'm starting to plan. I don't have much experience with furniture so it's tough to plan how much loot should be set aside for chairs. Your experiences are invaluable

#12 ·
1K per chair is too much for normal people. if you wanted 6 seats that's 6K. your projector better be 30K to match.

#14 ·
I was looking for cheap chairs for my theater when I stumbled upon these at IKEA (image is linked):

Extremely comfortable, and they don't dominate the room the way fully upholstered chairs do.

I origninally bought them with plain ivory colored canvas cushions, but later swapped those out for the brown leather ones. Frame was originally about $60. Up to about $80 now. Leather seat cushion was around $100 if I recall. Also got the ottomans for about $40 for the frame and another $40? for the leather cushion.

Good value. Very durable. Everyone loves them and are always suprised how comfy they are, no matter how long the film.

#16 ·
They are sold in boxes, flat. Assembly takes about 10 minutes for the first one, 5 by the time you get to the 4th. Ottomans are even less complicated. I had a Volvo wagon at the time and was easily able to stack up 5 of the chairs and two Ottomans + cushions in the back along with a bunch of other IKEA paraphanelia. Cushions come wrapped in heavy visqueen. Several options for upholstery from plain canvas to Scandinavian prints to leather. Guy who came up with the design was pretty clever, no doubt.

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by christer W. /forum/post/18306364

I was looking for cheap chairs for my theater when I stumbled upon these at IKEA.

Extremely comfortable, and they don't dominate the room the way fully upholstered chairs do.

I origninally bought them with plain ivory colored canvas cushions, but later swapped those out for the brown leather ones. Frame was originally about $60. Up to about $80 now. Leather seat cushion was around $100 if I recall. Also got the ottomans for about $40 for the frame and another $40? for the leather cushion.

Good value. Very durable. Everyone loves them and are always suprised how comfy they are, no matter how long the film.

Nice chair but you're already up to about $260 so why not just splurge and throw another hundred bucks at it so you can get the cheap costco Berks or the ones Roman has on sale. While everyone tends to focus more on the equipment, remember you gotta sit in the seats for a couple hours on end. On the bright side, you certainly have a lot more flexibility in being able to use them in other spaces throughout your domain.

#19 ·
yes it does.

unless your funds are unlimited. then why wouldn't you spring for 2k a chair!

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmCutter /forum/post/18293657

I'm starting to look at HT seating and I'm wondering what ballpark I should be in. I recently bought a micro-fiber LA-Z-BOY rocker/recliner and it was around $600. You wouldn't use a row of rockers in a HT would you? I'd think the rocking could be distracting. Anyway, what's a good chair or set of chairs run for the application? What $/seat is reasonable? Any super sweet deals out that anyone is aware of?

Whatever you can sit on for two hours without neck and back pain. At that point, the seats would be priceless. Personally, I would suggest Ekornes above all else.

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc /forum/post/18310466

yes it does.

unless your funds are unlimited. then why wouldn't you spring for 2k a chair!

I don't agree with you either. Spending $1,000 per chair doesn't mean you need to have top of the line equipment. Especially a $30,000 projector. Comfort is #1 in a theater chair for me but looks are a close second. I'm spending quite a bit on my carpet, does it mean I need 12" solid maple baseboard trim? No, i'm using 5 1/2" primed pine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.