Buttkicker Amps are Not Available - Alternatives? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 57 Old 09-03-2010, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have an open order for two buttkicker amps to power my seven mini buttkickers. These items are backordered...they have not been available since early July and the distributer is not able to offer a date when these will become available. I have to assume that these will nt become available for quite some time, so I'm looking at alternatives.

I found the Behringer EUROPOWER EP4000 4,000-Watt Stereo Power Amplifier online. Behringer also makes a 2500W amp. These seems to be popular with the users of Bassshakers. If I understand correctly, the Buttkicker gear is more powerful and needs a beefier amp. I think the max power for the minis is 300w each at 6 ohms. That works out to 2100 w total.

Will the 4000W amp be able to power all 7 of my buttkickers?
Will two of the 2500W amps be able to power the kickers?
Are there other alternatives that may work better?

Thank you for the help.

Follow my build here: Harvest Ridge Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 Old 09-03-2010, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
Yes, Guitammer has been having some supply issues with their amplifier product(s). As a substitute, take a look at the Crown amps and in particular the Crown XLS series. The Crown XLS 1500 is a good substitute for the BK1000-4A. I have had very good experiences with the Crown Pro Audio products in the past and this amp has gotten good reviews so far.

Nice looking theater build, btw.

Ken Lerch
StargateCinema.com
Home Theater Seating and Decor
HTSeating.com
Home Theater Seating

post #3 of 57 Old 09-03-2010, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
post #4 of 57 Old 09-03-2010, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I have used a Carvin amplifier for years with my Buttkicker unit. The DCM1000 bridged for each unit. You need a line level amp with these amplifiers since they are looking for a higher input than your typical amplifier.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/poweramps/

My Home Theater Site:

DJ-Theater
post #5 of 57 Old 09-03-2010, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Doogie View Post

I have used a Carvin amplifier for years with my Buttkicker unit. The DCM1000 bridged for each unit. You need a line level amp with these amplifiers since they are looking for a higher input than your typical amplifier.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/poweramps/

How many buttkicker (minis) do you think the DCM1000 can power?

I have seven to power.

CJ

post #6 of 57 Old 09-05-2010, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Drop me a PM I have a couple of Buttkicker amps I may let go
post #7 of 57 Old 09-05-2010, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboranadum View Post

How many buttkicker (minis) do you think the DCM1000 can power?

I have seven to power.

CJ

With the specifications provided by Carvin, you could probably parallel two buttkicker units off of each channel and fully drive each unit...that would be four (4) units.

There is a multichannel unit as well (DCM2004) which is a four channel unit with 300W per channel. However, this unit does not have a rating into a 2 ohm load. Without a 2 ohm rating, I would not want to try paralleling your type of units on this type of amp.

My Home Theater Site:

DJ-Theater
post #8 of 57 Old 09-28-2011, 09:11 AM

Liked: 10
Fast forward one year later, Guitamer still do not have their amp !!! I bought my chairs and mini Buttkicker 3 months ago, can't still use them. I bought the wireless version. Now, my theater completed and the wireless amp is still out. Frustration !!
post #9 of 57 Old 09-28-2011, 12:15 PM
Troll

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 44
i have 6 Buttkicker LFE off a single ep4000
3 in series to each channel. 12 ohm loads

i feel myself being tossed around in my berklines.
post #10 of 57 Old 09-28-2011, 01:02 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 535
If you go to the Fairfax county landfill you can probably find my Butt-kicker amp that had a couple of capacitors go up in smoke, Rather than attempt to replace all the similar capacitors on the board I retired the unit. You need to move past your need for a Guitamer branded amp.
post #11 of 57 Old 09-28-2011, 02:05 PM

How about a wireless option ? I don't want to go back to wire it again. I bought on the wireless, now i am stuck !!
post #12 of 57 Old 09-29-2011, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klpham71 View Post

Fast forward one year later, Guitamer still do not have their amp !!! I bought my chairs and mini Buttkicker 3 months ago, can't still use them. I bought the wireless version. Now, my theater completed and the wireless amp is still out. Frustration !!

I hear you! I am so glad that I went in the other direction and picked up a different amp.

post #13 of 57 Old 09-30-2011, 09:45 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 535
Quote:

How about a wireless option ? I don't want to go back to wire it again. I bought on the wireless, now i am stuck !!

Outlaw Audio has a $149 wireless bridge for sub-woofers, should work for Buttkickers and amp of your choice.

You could also search for wireless sub-woofer plate amplifiers.
post #14 of 57 Old 10-02-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Outlaw Audio has a $149 wireless bridge for sub-woofers, should work for Buttkickers and amp of your choice.

You could also search for wireless sub-woofer plate amplifiers.

Thanks for the info. I am definitely looking into that. I am trying out the soundcast wireless bridge and crown xls 1500. Why? Cuz amazon have them.
post #15 of 57 Old 10-04-2011, 10:39 PM

It turns out to be quite disapointing. The in put from the wireless Soundcast receiver is too low for the crown. Not until I tried the headphone jack on my den on 4310( to Feed the input of wireless transmitter), then I got some movement, which to prove that the wireless sound cast does work. No other preout input to the wireless transmitter is strong enough.

How do you guys do it with out another cumbersome line level amp? Since I chose the wireless route from the beginning, which is clearly a mistake by now, the crown amp and the wireless receiver are already at the seating area. I try not to turn my seating area into another equipment rack.

Thanks in advance.
post #16 of 57 Old 10-06-2011, 02:11 PM

Quote:

It turns out to be quite disapointing. The in put from the wireless Soundcast receiver is too low for the crown. Not until I tried the headphone jack on my den on 4310( to Feed the input of wireless transmitter), then I got some movement, which to prove that the wireless sound cast does work. No other preout input to the wireless transmitter is strong enough.

How do you guys do it with out another cumbersome line level amp? Since I chose the wireless route from the beginning, which is clearly a mistake by now, the crown amp and the wireless receiver are already at the seating area. I try not to turn my seating area into another equipment rack.

Thanks in advance.

Thats too bad..I have been following this thread to see your results. I just got my Crown XLS1000 for my buttkickers today and I ordered the Outlaw OAW3 wireless system which will be here on Monday. I hope it works, but it sounds like I will need another amp for the line before it goes into the crown. If that happens, I might as well just run the dang wires and use the OAW3 for better placement of my sub.

Good luck...
post #17 of 57 Old 10-06-2011, 04:33 PM

To prove that the issue is not the wireless transmitter, I hardwire from the preout of my receiver to the Crown xls. Still Not working. Minimal signal arrives judging by the led in the front of Crown. Therefore, just by running the wire (preout to crown, and speaker wire from crown to buttkicker) without the line level amp, still does not work.

Then,...I just discovered that the output from my BD (Denon 3800) is actually stronger than that the preout of my receiver (Denon 4310). So, it is actually somewhat working wirelessly (output from BD player to wireless transmitter), just won't work with Direct TV program ( which is fed into the receiver).

You should try that, Matt.
post #18 of 57 Old 10-08-2011, 07:07 AM

Thanks for the update. I will let you know how it goes next week once my OAW3 comes in.

I read somewhere that increasing the gain to the sub channel helps, is that true do you think?
post #19 of 57 Old 10-12-2011, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Dayton SA1000W is almost similar to what BKA1000
post #20 of 57 Old 10-13-2011, 08:26 AM

OAW3 wireless system sends a good clean signal, but the RCA line output isnt enough to feed the Crown amp. I have a phono pre-amp for boosting the line coming in today, will try that and report back.

I went with the ART DJ II phono preamp since it also passes a low freq response of 10hz which I couldnt find anything else that goes lower. It also states it can send a 1.4Vrms +6dBu gained signal so it should work.
post #21 of 57 Old 10-13-2011, 08:32 AM

Looking forward to learn about your experience with the pre-amp. I assume/hope the pre-amp will boost the signal prior to the wireless transmitter rather than placing at the wireless receiver, at least in my case.
post #22 of 57 Old 10-13-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:

Looking forward to learn about your experience with the pre-amp. I assume/hope the pre-amp will boost the signal prior to the wireless transmitter rather than placing at the wireless receiver, at least in my case.

Ill try it both ways, but Im thinking it will have to be at the wireless receiver end. Ill post back tonight with the results. Oh and by the way, this preamp is tiny...probably smaller than your hand and only a couple of inches thick. Should be pretty easy to hide.
post #23 of 57 Old 10-13-2011, 10:57 PM

Success! But I havent tried it on the transmitter end yet....works great on the receiver end though. I have the gain knob all the way down and it is delivering a strong line signal to the Crown, no problem. Also the -3db 20hz switch is a nice feature Ive noticed.

Here it is if anyone else is interested...

http://www.amazon.com/ART-Pre-II-Pho...8571616&sr=8-1
post #24 of 57 Old 12-08-2011, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt in Houston View Post

Success! But I havent tried it on the transmitter end yet....works great on the receiver end though. I have the gain knob all the way down and it is delivering a strong line signal to the Crown, no problem. Also the -3db 20hz switch is a nice feature Ive noticed.

Im getting mine today Matt hope I have as good luck as you did getting the AMP powerign the kickers to recognize the input signal.
post #25 of 57 Old 12-09-2011, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt in Houston View Post

Matt thank you so much for the recommendation! It works great...now the tweaking part ...are you using any of the cutoff buttons on the pre-amp to filter frequencies?
post #26 of 57 Old 12-09-2011, 06:21 AM
rsh
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Folks,

Just an update - the buttkicker amplfiiers BKA300-4 and BKA300-4NW will be available by the end of the month, and the BKA-1000-4N in February. This is not a rumor. It has been confirmed with the Guitammer Company.

Roman
rtheaters.com
Fusion Collection Seating
Ultimate Home Entertainment
post #27 of 57 Old 12-09-2011, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsh View Post

Folks,

Just an update - the buttkicker amplfiiers BKA300-4 and BKA300-4NW will be available by the end of the month, and the BKA-1000-4N in February. This is not a rumor. It has been confirmed with the Guitammer Company.

Unfortunately ...It's always a rumor until they are actually IN. These dates keep getting pushed back (for the last 18months)...I called last month and they said January the 1000's were coming in ...now it's February? LOL if you go down some of the threads you can see how annoyed people are getting and how Guitammer is losing tons of business to competing systems.
post #28 of 57 Old 12-09-2011, 08:14 AM
rsh
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I know that, and you are 100% correct, but this time the BKA300 amps are on the water with existing BOL, so they are coming for sure.

Roman
rtheaters.com
Fusion Collection Seating
Ultimate Home Entertainment
post #29 of 57 Old 12-09-2011, 11:03 AM

This is directly from Mark Luden at Guitammer. I spoke with him a few minutes ago.

"Our supply of wireless ButtKicker Kits and BKA300 amplifiers (wireless and non-wireless) is now in transit from our supplier. We will be shipping the first week in January, sooner if possible, but better to plan on January.

Our supply of the BKA-130-C and BKA1000-N amplifiers, and therefore the Gamer and LFE Kit products, along with the BK-Link, will ship to us in early February. The dramatic increase in lead time for components has been a big factor in this for us."

Randy Bowman
myHTseats.com
post #30 of 57 Old 12-11-2011, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I am so glad that I gave up on waiting for these amps and went with a different solution.

For those still waiting, bail on this and look at the Crowne or Behringer amps. Both work very, very well.

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page