My take on power recline vs. manual - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 12-10-2010, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I ordered 3 Palliser Pacifico's. I decided to do one power recline and the other ones manual. After getting them installed, I honestly can say I like the manual recline much better.

I do agree with the sentiment that you want to change positions often during a movie to get comfortable. However, with the manual option I can just barely arch my back and I can adjust the chair as much or as little as I want with little effort. With the power option, I find it slightly more of a hassle to keep reaching down and adjusting it to the right position.

The only advantage it has is you can adjust the elevation of the footrest to different positions, but me and the few people i've had over keep the foot rests in fully reclined and just adjust the degree of being reclined. If I had it to do over again I would definitely go all manual. I've moved the power chair to one side where it's not used as much.

I realize that may not be a popular viewpoint here, but I thought I'd give my take on it since I have both. I definitely love the manual option better. I would even pay more to get it over the power in fact.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 12-15-2010, 09:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
You're joking right? Power is undeniably superior...
post #3 of 20 Old 12-16-2010, 04:50 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
More things can break on power recline chairs. Expensive to repair too.
post #4 of 20 Old 12-16-2010, 11:17 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked: 722
post #5 of 20 Old 12-17-2010, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I can understand what the OP is saying. Personally, I dislike having to sit for 10+ seconds while the footrest motors all the way down before I can get up out of the chair.

That said, being able to adjust the seatback position without *any* form of muscle effort in my body (save the index finger) is appreciated when you are fully in lazy-couch-potato mode.

Personally, a motorized chair with on demand declutching and manual override would be tops, imo.

-Suntan
post #6 of 20 Old 12-17-2010, 02:00 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

I like to stretch and fidget around without the chair moving all over the place.
post #7 of 20 Old 12-18-2010, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche951 View Post

You're joking right? Power is undeniably superior...

According to you? I like manual better too. Pull the handle and im reclined in less than a second. No need to sit there for 10 seconds.

Also I can move around all I want and the chair doesnt move on me.
post #8 of 20 Old 12-20-2010, 09:48 AM

Liked: 10
I bought manual Berklines because they were on a massive sale. I haven't had any issues with the manual adjustment at all. They also stay put even when I move around. I probably would have bought power seats if they were about the same price, but the manuals were half the price. Money talks (for me)! So far so good...
post #9 of 20 Old 12-20-2010, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

I've actually gotten used to the power chair where it's about the same to me as the manual recline. I still strongly disagree with the sentiment of power recline being a "must have". Maybe it's the Pallisers that are clouding my judgement. Perhaps other lines don't have the same reclining options as the manual ones I bought, so I'm not sure.
post #10 of 20 Old 12-21-2010, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I agree with the OP. I have not bought my seats for my theater yet but, have tried both manual & power recline and prefer the manual. People always say you can infinatley stop the power recline at any position you want, however, the footrest and seatback work together. I can't have the footrest in the up position and the seatback in the upright position because it starts going back the moment the footrest starts going up on the power reclines. To each their own I guess.

"porsche951: You're joking right? Power is undeniably superior..."

No, you're the joke.
post #11 of 20 Old 12-21-2010, 11:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 679
Someday, if I can ever afford power recliners, I'll form an opinion ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #12 of 20 Old 12-21-2010, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bley View Post

I agree with the OP. I have not bought my seats for my theater yet but, have tried both manual & power recline and prefer the manual. People always say you can infinatley stop the power recline at any position you want, however, the footrest and seatback work together. I can't have the footrest in the up position and the seatback in the upright position because it starts going back the moment the footrest starts going up on the power reclines.

Mine do not act this way. The footrests come up first, then the seatback reclines. I always have the feet up, but sit up while eating motor back once the bowl is empty.

Not saying power vs. manual has a right or wrong answer, just saying that not all motorized chairs/brands/models operate the way you believe they do.

-Suntan
post #13 of 20 Old 12-22-2010, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post

Mine do not act this way. The footrests come up first, then the seatback reclines. I always have the feet up, but sit up while eating motor back once the bowl is empty.

Not saying power vs. manual has a right or wrong answer, just saying that not all motorized chairs/brands/models operate the way you believe they do.

-Suntan

Sounds like nice chairs. What ones do you have?
post #14 of 20 Old 12-22-2010, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sounds like nice chairs. What ones do you have?

Berkline model:13175

I assume most all of the berklines operate this way. But user "RSH" (Roman) can give you the details on berklines better than I.

-Suntan
post #15 of 20 Old 12-22-2010, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
For me, the extra cost is a huge factor. If the power recline costs $100 more per chair and you need 7 chairs then that adds up quick. There are alot of things that $700 could buy for a HT.

Alcohol. The cause of and solution to all of life's problems.
post #16 of 20 Old 12-23-2010, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

No, you're the joke.

Hehe, it's not a problem. For porsche951 power is an option vastly superior which is fine. My only reason for posting this was that others may be in the same position that I originally was. I was agonizing on deciding whether to get power or manual. There was no place within driving distance that I could travel to compare the two so I was going strictly off recommendations here. For others in my same position, I just wanted them to know there was at least one dissenting vote for power.

After about a month of viewing, the general consensus from my guests is the guys liked manual better while most of the women and my 80 year old mother liked the power better.
post #17 of 20 Old 12-24-2010, 12:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I agree with the OP. I have not bought my seats for my theater yet but, have tried both manual & power recline and prefer the manual. People always say you can infinatley stop the power recline at any position you want, however, the footrest and seatback work together. I can't have the footrest in the up position and the seatback in the upright position because it starts going back the moment the footrest starts going up on the power reclines. To each their own I guess.

No, you're the joke.
I was kidding. Just admit to yourself that you can't afford power recline chairs and you will feel better... Power to the people!
post #18 of 20 Old 12-24-2010, 05:51 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Keep in mind that power is not an all or nothing decision. If you want power in the Captains chair, get it. Screw the guests they will just be happy to be in your theater.

Now if you are not sure who is the captain in your house get two.
post #19 of 20 Old 12-24-2010, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Keep in mind that power is not an all or nothing decision. If you want power in the Captains chair, get it. Screw the guests they will just be happy to be in your theater.

Now if you are not sure who is the captain in your house get two.

Could be the post of the day! Thanks for making me laugh today.
post #20 of 20 Old 01-17-2011, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 102
There are very few manual recliners that I can even sit in without the footrest falling down under the weight of my legs. I assumed this would be the case with the manual Berklines, so I opted for power and am happy so far. Keep an eye out for Berkline's free power deal if you are on the fence due to cost. I think they run it at least once a year.
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories