My take on power recline vs. manual - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 12-10-2010, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
kdog750's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 482
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I ordered 3 Palliser Pacifico's. I decided to do one power recline and the other ones manual. After getting them installed, I honestly can say I like the manual recline much better.

I do agree with the sentiment that you want to change positions often during a movie to get comfortable. However, with the manual option I can just barely arch my back and I can adjust the chair as much or as little as I want with little effort. With the power option, I find it slightly more of a hassle to keep reaching down and adjusting it to the right position.

The only advantage it has is you can adjust the elevation of the footrest to different positions, but me and the few people i've had over keep the foot rests in fully reclined and just adjust the degree of being reclined. If I had it to do over again I would definitely go all manual. I've moved the power chair to one side where it's not used as much.

I realize that may not be a popular viewpoint here, but I thought I'd give my take on it since I have both. I definitely love the manual option better. I would even pay more to get it over the power in fact.
kdog750 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 Old 12-15-2010, 09:09 PM
Advanced Member
 
porsche951's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Near Laguna Beach
Posts: 884
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
You're joking right? Power is undeniably superior...
porsche951 is offline  
post #3 of 20 Old 12-16-2010, 04:50 AM
Advanced Member
 
Colton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 666
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
More things can break on power recline chairs. Expensive to repair too.
Colton is offline  
post #4 of 20 Old 12-16-2010, 11:17 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR
 
BIGmouthinDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 21,372
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked: 722
BIGmouthinDC is offline  
post #5 of 20 Old 12-17-2010, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Suntan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Twin Cities
Posts: 7,140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I can understand what the OP is saying. Personally, I dislike having to sit for 10+ seconds while the footrest motors all the way down before I can get up out of the chair.

That said, being able to adjust the seatback position without *any* form of muscle effort in my body (save the index finger) is appreciated when you are fully in lazy-couch-potato mode.

Personally, a motorized chair with on demand declutching and manual override would be tops, imo.

-Suntan
Suntan is offline  
post #6 of 20 Old 12-17-2010, 02:00 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR
 
BIGmouthinDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 21,372
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked: 722
I like to stretch and fidget around without the chair moving all over the place.
BIGmouthinDC is offline  
post #7 of 20 Old 12-18-2010, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member
 
Remax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Clinton township Michigan
Posts: 582
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche951 View Post

You're joking right? Power is undeniably superior...

According to you? I like manual better too. Pull the handle and im reclined in less than a second. No need to sit there for 10 seconds.

Also I can move around all I want and the chair doesnt move on me.
Remax is offline  
post #8 of 20 Old 12-20-2010, 09:48 AM
Member
 
DrewK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought manual Berklines because they were on a massive sale. I haven't had any issues with the manual adjustment at all. They also stay put even when I move around. I probably would have bought power seats if they were about the same price, but the manuals were half the price. Money talks (for me)! So far so good...
DrewK is offline  
post #9 of 20 Old 12-20-2010, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
kdog750's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 482
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I've actually gotten used to the power chair where it's about the same to me as the manual recline. I still strongly disagree with the sentiment of power recline being a "must have". Maybe it's the Pallisers that are clouding my judgement. Perhaps other lines don't have the same reclining options as the manual ones I bought, so I'm not sure.
kdog750 is offline  
post #10 of 20 Old 12-21-2010, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Tom Bley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: IL. USA
Posts: 2,241
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I agree with the OP. I have not bought my seats for my theater yet but, have tried both manual & power recline and prefer the manual. People always say you can infinatley stop the power recline at any position you want, however, the footrest and seatback work together. I can't have the footrest in the up position and the seatback in the upright position because it starts going back the moment the footrest starts going up on the power reclines. To each their own I guess.

"porsche951: You're joking right? Power is undeniably superior..."

No, you're the joke.
Tom Bley is online now  
post #11 of 20 Old 12-21-2010, 11:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mgkdragn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Illinois, East of St Louis
Posts: 10,844
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 679
Someday, if I can ever afford power recliners, I'll form an opinion ..

Uncle Willie


Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
mgkdragn is offline  
post #12 of 20 Old 12-21-2010, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Suntan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Twin Cities
Posts: 7,140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bley View Post

I agree with the OP. I have not bought my seats for my theater yet but, have tried both manual & power recline and prefer the manual. People always say you can infinatley stop the power recline at any position you want, however, the footrest and seatback work together. I can't have the footrest in the up position and the seatback in the upright position because it starts going back the moment the footrest starts going up on the power reclines.

Mine do not act this way. The footrests come up first, then the seatback reclines. I always have the feet up, but sit up while eating motor back once the bowl is empty.

Not saying power vs. manual has a right or wrong answer, just saying that not all motorized chairs/brands/models operate the way you believe they do.

-Suntan
Suntan is offline  
post #13 of 20 Old 12-22-2010, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Tom Bley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: IL. USA
Posts: 2,241
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post

Mine do not act this way. The footrests come up first, then the seatback reclines. I always have the feet up, but sit up while eating motor back once the bowl is empty.

Not saying power vs. manual has a right or wrong answer, just saying that not all motorized chairs/brands/models operate the way you believe they do.

-Suntan

Sounds like nice chairs. What ones do you have?
Tom Bley is online now  
post #14 of 20 Old 12-22-2010, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Suntan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Twin Cities
Posts: 7,140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bley View Post

Sounds like nice chairs. What ones do you have?

Berkline model:13175

I assume most all of the berklines operate this way. But user "RSH" (Roman) can give you the details on berklines better than I.

-Suntan
Suntan is offline  
post #15 of 20 Old 12-22-2010, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
stepyourgameup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,469
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
For me, the extra cost is a huge factor. If the power recline costs $100 more per chair and you need 7 chairs then that adds up quick. There are alot of things that $700 could buy for a HT.

Alcohol. The cause of and solution to all of life's problems.
stepyourgameup is offline  
post #16 of 20 Old 12-23-2010, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
kdog750's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 482
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bley View Post

"porsche951: You're joking right? Power is undeniably superior..."

No, you're the joke.

Hehe, it's not a problem. For porsche951 power is an option vastly superior which is fine. My only reason for posting this was that others may be in the same position that I originally was. I was agonizing on deciding whether to get power or manual. There was no place within driving distance that I could travel to compare the two so I was going strictly off recommendations here. For others in my same position, I just wanted them to know there was at least one dissenting vote for power.

After about a month of viewing, the general consensus from my guests is the guys liked manual better while most of the women and my 80 year old mother liked the power better.
kdog750 is offline  
post #17 of 20 Old 12-24-2010, 12:53 AM
Advanced Member
 
porsche951's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Near Laguna Beach
Posts: 884
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bley View Post
I agree with the OP. I have not bought my seats for my theater yet but, have tried both manual & power recline and prefer the manual. People always say you can infinatley stop the power recline at any position you want, however, the footrest and seatback work together. I can't have the footrest in the up position and the seatback in the upright position because it starts going back the moment the footrest starts going up on the power reclines. To each their own I guess.

"porsche951: You're joking right? Power is undeniably superior..."

No, you're the joke.
I was kidding. Just admit to yourself that you can't afford power recline chairs and you will feel better... Power to the people!
porsche951 is offline  
post #18 of 20 Old 12-24-2010, 05:51 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR
 
BIGmouthinDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 21,372
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked: 722
Keep in mind that power is not an all or nothing decision. If you want power in the Captains chair, get it. Screw the guests they will just be happy to be in your theater.

Now if you are not sure who is the captain in your house get two.
BIGmouthinDC is offline  
post #19 of 20 Old 12-24-2010, 02:36 PM
Senior Member
 
outlikealight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 287
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Keep in mind that power is not an all or nothing decision. If you want power in the Captains chair, get it. Screw the guests they will just be happy to be in your theater.

Now if you are not sure who is the captain in your house get two.


Could be the post of the day! Thanks for making me laugh today.
outlikealight is offline  
post #20 of 20 Old 01-17-2011, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Spaceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Houston
Posts: 1,970
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 102
There are very few manual recliners that I can even sit in without the footrest falling down under the weight of my legs. I assumed this would be the case with the manual Berklines, so I opted for power and am happy so far. Keep an eye out for Berkline's free power deal if you are on the fence due to cost. I think they run it at least once a year.
Spaceman is online now  
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off