Red velvet everywhere?? Help. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 02-02-2011, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone. I am a newbie to the site and hope to get a good response on this post. First, I am turning a fairly large frog into a dedicated theater room (except for a few pieces of excercise equiptment that the wife has to keep in there). I would love to see some pics of some "non-luxury" theater rooms where do-it-yourselfers did a pretty decent job at using some sort of curtains on all the walls for the "theater look", and of course for the benefit of sound dampening (doesn't have to be red velvet, can be any color and any material...I'm really looking for a cheap way to get the best theater look). I am thinking of running painted black dowels down the ceiling of the entire room, and using simple clearance curtains from Lowes that will reach the floor.
Second, I have two old subs...a JBL 8, and a Veladyne 8 from past systems. Can I use both of those off a splitter since they are powered and I won't be messing with Ohms on the receiver? Is there any downside to this? You should all know this is my first home theater besides a 3.1 system that I have currently. If it's OK to use both, the wall that the TV will go on is all large builtin's about 24 inches deep and pretty large. I could put both in one niche below the TV on the left or right, or I could put one on each side and they would have about 10ft of distance between the two of them. What do you recommend.
Sorry to milk the system, but I have to start somewhere and I will post pics of this room....should be pretty neat other than the equiptment that I have to use.
Also, I have a good general site for home theater plates/hardware, etc... monoprice(dot)com. If you have a better site where i can save more money please let me know. I am on a tight budget on this one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-03-2011, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Welcome.

Have you looked in the Dedicated Theater Design and Construction forum? There is a sticky there entitled Show Me You Completed Theater. You should get plenty of ideas there and not all of them are truly dedicated.

You will be hard-pressed to find better prices than monoprice. Depending on what you're looking for, you might also try bluejeanscable and partsexpress.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #3 of 9 Old 02-03-2011, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Concerning the subs, there is a pretty good thread in one of the construction forums on using multiple subs. The general recommendation is one in the front of the room, one in the back. Won't hurt anything by using a splitter.

I second Logan's suggestion for looking around. I don't have a build thread up yet as I am waiting for my theater chairs to arrive (hopefully tonight, but who knows with this storm), but I am working with a similar space. I have a finished space that is approximately 20x26. Half of it is gaming, exercise, kids space. I have the theater in a 12x20' section. My solution was to curtain off the area and I used dark red Eclipse drapes. These are available from Lowes although I got them on closeout at Bed Bath and Beyond. I like the Eclipse because they are blackout drapes that advertise some degree of sound damping. In reality, they do a fairly decent job of allowing gaming in one half of the room while movie watching is going on. I also like that the room can be opened up for parties and events (like Superbowl.)

I'll try and get my build thread started in the next week.
post #4 of 9 Old 02-03-2011, 08:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Welcome...one bit of general advice:

New members tend to pick one forum as a catch all for their questions. We've covered most aspects of the hobby and divided them into separate forums. If you use subwoofers for example...will you get some good responses by posting a subwoofer question in the Dedicated Theater Construction forum? Yes. But, I would say the best information will be gathered from using our forum dedicated to subwoofers, bass shakers etc. That's where the '"bass heads/experts" spend their time. Those same experts may NEVER visit the construction forum. I recommend breaking down the general topics and post in the appropriate forum.

Before you post, I'd also encourage the use of the search engine. Go to the advance search engine. Limit search words to one or two. Pural versions of the same word will bring up different results than the singular variation. Also, under the search word window is an option for "title search only". I always use that filter to get the best results. If you are searching for a specifc model of player (ie Sony BD370 Blu Ray player)...I would say search under Sony only...why because everyone posts the model numbers differently. Some leave out the initials, some use dashes etc etc etc. Just a few suggestions for getting the most out of AVS.

Ron

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #5 of 9 Old 02-03-2011, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much! I couldn't believe mono's pricing (espcially on mount...i have to have 30' extendable mount for TV niche and it was $100 cheaper than anywhere else). I will check out the threads you mentioned. I'm very excited about this so I will try to keep everyone posted.
post #6 of 9 Old 02-03-2011, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayn_j View Post
Concerning the subs, there is a pretty good thread in one of the construction forums on using multiple subs. The general recommendation is one in the front of the room, one in the back. Won't hurt anything by using a splitter.

I second Logan's suggestion for looking around. I don't have a build thread up yet as I am waiting for my theater chairs to arrive (hopefully tonight, but who knows with this storm), but I am working with a similar space. I have a finished space that is approximately 20x26. Half of it is gaming, exercise, kids space. I have the theater in a 12x20' section. My solution was to curtain off the area and I used dark red Eclipse drapes. These are available from Lowes although I got them on closeout at Bed Bath and Beyond. I like the Eclipse because they are blackout drapes that advertise some degree of sound damping. In reality, they do a fairly decent job of allowing gaming in one half of the room while movie watching is going on. I also like that the room can be opened up for parties and events (like Superbowl.)

GREAT! That's what I needed to hear. I just want to hear that others are using lowes, etc. curtains and they are working. Looking forward to seeing the pics.
post #7 of 9 Old 02-03-2011, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post
Welcome...one bit of general advice:

New members tend to pick one forum as a catch all for their questions. We've covered most aspects of the hobby and divided them into separate forums. If you use subwoofers for example...will you get some good responses by posting a subwoofer question in the Dedicated Theater Construction forum? Yes. But, I would say the best information will be gathered from using our forum dedicated to subwoofers, bass shakers etc. That's where the '"bass heads/experts" spend their time. Those same experts may NEVER visit the construction forum. I recommend breaking down the general topics and post in the appropriate forum.

Before you post, I'd also encourage the use of the search engine. Go to the advance search engine. Limit search words to one or two. Pural versions of the same word will bring up different results than the singular variation. Also, under the search word window is an option for "title search only". I always use that filter to get the best results. If you are searching for a specifc model of player (ie Sony BD370 Blu Ray player)...I would say search under Sony only...why because everyone posts the model numbers differently. Some leave out the initials, some use dashes etc etc etc. Just a few suggestions for getting the most out of AVS.

Ron
Good advice Ron....my excitement gets the best of me and I'm so busy at work I generally get to slide in a comment here and there. I'm a bit upset that I didn't get these posts to my email when I clicked for them to be copied to email as they came in, but as long as everyone is comfortable with my delayed responses then we're good.
post #8 of 9 Old 02-09-2011, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayn_j View Post

So how's it coming? I'm interested to see the pics.
post #9 of 9 Old 02-09-2011, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Chairs finally arrived. Will start taking pictures and getting something up.
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page