review: motorized Berkline 12006 recliners in leather/vinyl combo - AVS Forum
Theater Room Items & Accessories > review: motorized Berkline 12006 recliners in leather/vinyl combo
mtbdudex's Avatar mtbdudex 02:27 PM 03-30-2011

I ordered (4) motorized Berkline 12006 recliners in leather/vinyl combo from avs store Roman on Friday 3/4/2011, they were delivered Thursday 3/10.
(make sure you have room on your street for a 53' 18 wheel delivery truck....)

This is my subjective review of them after having and using them for 3 weeks.

(and I just read that Berkline is going out of business... )

Picture installed:

For ref my HT layout, the 12006's are in the 1st row, I have 7 year old manual Albany Industries series 750 thru Billy Bob's 7/3/04 going out of business sale in the 2nd row.

My subjective review:
1) The 12006's 38.5 inches tall did not seem a problem in my testing them in store, but my existing Albany Industries manual seats are 42.5 inch tall and that diff really affects the head support from your hip "h" point upward. Am I dis-pleased with the "compact" 38.5? No, but each person should be aware that.

2) The elec switch I feel is located just slightly "low" and rearward in the seat arm, I'd like to see it 1" higher and 2" forward so you don't have to squinch your wrist in the seat crease to use it.

3) The armless seat in my config (I got the 12006 curved with mid loveseat) has the switch located on the RH side of the seat itself. That is a real wrist cruncher.
What Berkline should have done is mount the switch to the seat arm on the RH outside seat, and gave a switch connector harness that goes from the armless seat to the RH outside seat. So, the switch would be visible below the apple and operate the armless seat motor mech via the jumper harness. easy to do. I might retrofit my seats to do that.

Thats my brief review of Berkline 12006's, not sure if this will help others since they are going out of business.
Or, since these are from their China operations these will still be available?

rsh's Avatar rsh 04:14 PM 03-30-2011
Mike,

The reason they did not put a switch on a different recliner, because they had no clue how you are going to be using armless chair.

It could be straight configuration IOIOOIOI - like you have or curved IOVOOVOI so first chairs could be either 3901 - IOI or 5341 IOV. Also what you are going to do if you choose to have IOIOOOIOI or IOVOOOVOI configuration?

The Berkline is shutting down. Overseas operations are gone, and nothing will be shipping from now on unless it is already on the water.

Whatever we or other stocking dealers have left will be sold, and that will be it. Sad, but it is fact of life - things happen...
mtbdudex's Avatar mtbdudex 11:41 AM 03-31-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsh View Post

Mike,

The reason they did not put a switch on a different recliner, because they had no clue how you are going to be using armless chair.

It could be straight configuration IOIOOIOI - like you have or curved IOVOOVOI so first chairs could be either 3901 - IOI or 5341 IOV. Also what you are going to do if you choose to have IOIOOOIOI or IOVOOOVOI configuration?

The Berkline is shutting down. Overseas operations are gone, and nothing will be shipping from now on unless it is already on the water.

Whatever we or other stocking dealers have left will be sold, and that will be it. Sad, but it is fact of life - things happen...

Roman - I actually do have the curved ones, ordered these from you, if you look at the picture in my 1st post you can see the wedge on each side of the loveseat.

Actually it would not take much engineering to enable either a "port retrofit" or a customer retrofit for sw location.
In my prior management job I was manager for OE auto accessory engineering dept.
We'd have some infrastructure into the base product, and then could customize for customer.

For these seats, it would be easy for the manuf to put 2 small pilot holes in the base arm wood on the product line(say 3/16", shown in RED). Jig for that with pilot bushings under $2k, the base product would have it in it, nobody would notice those holes unless they were doing sw location task.

Then, either customer or customer installer could easily take a paper template (in Green), and cut-out hole (shown in Blue ).
Pop in switch, install jumper harness.
We do this all the time for auto dealer install or customer DIY install, its engineering 101.

If I was in their engineering dept I'd offer that as a solution to meet customer expectations.
anyway does not matter now as they are out of business....
rsh's Avatar rsh 12:03 PM 03-31-2011
I agree, but if you have straight configuration you would need to do it on the outside of the left or right armrest of the two arm recliner. Then it would be weird to have something like that on the outside of the armrest if you are buying a 2 arm recliner just as a separate unit and not as a part of the configuration.

Doable? - Sure, but I hope you understand what I am saying...
mtbdudex's Avatar mtbdudex 09:39 AM 01-10-2012
Roman;
After using these for nearly 10 months I'd really like to add a switch onto the 5340 to control the 5400 seat next to it.

This would make each seat switch in same place, armrest.
2 RH seats on RH armrest, 2 LH seats on LH armrest.

It's really inconvient to use the seat cushion mounted switch to operate the 5400 seat.

Can I order that thru you, switch/bezel?
I'd make my own 4 wire jumper harness with AutoOE locking connectors.
(Actually would keep the existing switch on the 5400, and simply add switch on the 5340.)
rsh's Avatar rsh 09:43 AM 01-10-2012
Yes, it possible, and the switch comes with the wires and a connector.

Contact me off line...
mtbdudex's Avatar mtbdudex 09:48 AM 01-10-2012
PM sent, I'll handle this offline, and document my method for others who may desire same.
mtbdudex's Avatar mtbdudex 10:03 AM 12-31-2012
Well since it's the last day of 2012, I wanted to finish this project tongue.gif
Yes, I got the part 11 1/2 months ago, and stuck it in a corner and just finished it today.

Made a template for location:
image%25281%2529.jpeg

I did not have a 1 3/4" boring bit, so used a 1 1/2" boring bit and a file, switch fits fine
image%25282%2529.jpeg . image%25283%2529.jpeg

Here is inside of the arm to show nothing to worry about
image%25284%2529.jpeg

Use 4 wood screws to hold it, put bezel on:
image%25285%2529.jpeg

I added this label to remind people there is a wire connecting the outer seat to the next seat
image%25286%2529.jpeg

All done!
image%25287%2529.jpeg

My only "issue".
The 4 pin jack is slightly smaller than a std phone jack, so I could NOT put a 7foot jumper to give more slack for the control wire.
I was hoping to do this so when move chairs for popcorn / etc vacuuming had more wiggle room.

Roman, this is not RJ-11 4-wire phone connector, just slightly smaller.
What is the spec so I can get a jumper connector and wire?
(I bought the RJ-11 from home depot thinking that was it, and just slightly too big)
I'm guessing RJ-10 vs RJ-11
rj10-f.gif .. rj11-f.gif
http://ckp.made-it.com/connectorchart.html
rsh's Avatar rsh 10:09 AM 12-31-2012
Mike,

Sorry I do not have any specs for that...
mtbdudex's Avatar mtbdudex 10:11 AM 12-31-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsh View Post

Mike,

Sorry I do not have any specs for that...

Ok - I'll measure it but now I'm 99% certain it's RJ-10
mtbdudex's Avatar mtbdudex 02:10 AM 03-16-2013
Roman, will you sell me some of these trays and the insert for them, I'd live to add them to my chairs I got from you 2 years ago
What types of trays are available? Size/etc.
PM me price/details

mtbdudex's Avatar mtbdudex 01:50 AM 03-20-2013
There is discussion about seat layout in the design and construction forum.

I added a comment worthwhile to share here, below in RED bold.
IMO the only negative I've had to say about the 12006 is the below, the outboard armrest is just slightly skinny for balancing a remote/other on it.
Perfect for elbows and comfort, the cup holder is fine size, but when I sit there as "dad" and in charge of the remote, my kids have popcorn on the inner wider wedge armrest, and then I have no place for the remote but my lap or the cupholder, which if I have a drink in it does not work.

Hence my above post on desire for tray tables there.....frankly if the armrest was wider, it's sculpted now so after the cupholder it gets skinny, I'd not desire a tray table.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFrankl View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post

A lot is driven by your HT goals and layout, plus How you feel Ingress/egress of people should be.
Door location comes into play.

Do you want equal space on both sides of seats from wall.

From acoustic viewpoint try and avoid exact midpoint of room for seat location, and also not directly against the rear wall.

Cozy vs lots of seats.....
My HT 14.5ft x 18.5 ft, front row has love seat in middle, then a seat on each side.
With young kids we can get 3 there if need be for 5 in row 1, or 2 for comfort and 4 then in row 1.
Our kids still small, 7/9/11 years old, they still like to get close to mom and dad smile.gif
Overall 2 row of seats planned for 8, with folding chairs we've had 14 in there for big events.

If you have the length the bar seating behind 2nd row give that added flexibility for big event seating, like posted above.
My brother in law did that.

Sent from my 32GB iPhone4 using Tapatalk

I like that idea too, having the loveseat in the middle. I can see how that is five across, with the three kids in the middle. Thanks!

Here's a picture to visualize, when the kids get along its nice 3 kids in 2 seat space, when they are pushing each others "button" - you know that stupid sibling fighting thing - then we separate them....

One thing I will add, the armrests on the wedge, between loveseat and single outboard seat, are wider which makes balancing remote/other there easy, the armrest on the outboard side while ok for elbows if you put a remote there it may fall off.
I got these berklines 12006 from AVS roman.

Up
Mobile  Desktop