post #361 of 474 Old 11-11-2013, 11:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluer101 View Post

We have had our Great Northern 8oz popper and cart for now 2 months. We love it so much and have tried the Great Northern 8oz and Mega Pop 8oz portion packs. Both are great tasting so far. The machine was bought through Costco online for a great price. Plus with Costco's return policy it's like having a lifetime warranty, win win. smile.gif

I intended to buy my 12 oz. Great Northern machine from Costco. But Costco stopped carrying the 12 oz. machine shortly before we decided to pull the trigger. Amazon had it at the same price and I get free Prime shipping, so we went with Amazon.

Costco still doesn't offer the 12 oz. machine. With 20-24 guests at each Booth Bijou event, we need the larger bin capacity of the 12 oz. machine!

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 474 Old 11-11-2013, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 45
whats the better way to order superkist 2 in a gallon container with a pump or a case of 6 16oz containers. if it matters im using a plastic chief bottle to put it on the popcorn. also has anyone ordered the gallon from paragonpopcornmachines.com ; im wondering what this free butter dispenser they are giving with the gallon is.

pcm=potato
bitstream=patato
post #363 of 474 Old 11-20-2013, 05:55 PM

Liked: 11
We bought a West Bend popper last year and first started using it of late as my theater room is mostly done. I realize this is more of a toy but it does make good popcorn. We are looking to upgrade to a Paragon Cineplex 4 ounce and would like to ask how messy is this machine? Long story short with the West Bend popper we end up with too much popcorn on the floor.
post #364 of 474 Old 11-20-2013, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Costco's 8oz Great Northern popcorn machine is supposed to be Black Friday priced at $180.00
post #365 of 474 Old 11-21-2013, 06:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Great thread...Any Europeans with some recommended machines?

Physical media is on the way out
post #366 of 474 Old 11-21-2013, 08:18 AM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyad View Post

Costco's 8oz Great Northern popcorn machine is supposed to be Black Friday priced at $180.00

Is this online or in warehouse. I'm assuming the stand is removable?
post #367 of 474 Old 11-21-2013, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

Online only. As far as I know the stand is removable.
post #368 of 474 Old 11-22-2013, 07:03 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Booth View Post

Update on our 12 oz. Great Northern machine….

Last weekend, after making two 12 oz. batches of popcorn before the 1st movie, I went to make a third (and forth) batch for second feature. The kettle in our machine heated the coconut oil but then lost all heat and wouldn't pop the corn! DAMN!!

There were a few reports of this problem (Amazon reviews) when I purchased the machine, but I was willing to take the risk because I really needed a machine with a large bin capacity.

I contacted Great Northern and they have a repair program. The kettle is only warrantied for 30 days! (I knew that going in.) For $24.95 prepaid (plus one-way shipping), they'll repair the kettle (regardless of problem). I got an RMA number but I am concerned about turnaround time. I need the machine every two weeks for the next several months. So, being pretty competent with things electrical, I decided to disassemble the kettle to see if I could figure out the problem.

Turns out there is a thermal fuse built into the circuit inside the two halves of the kettle. It's not much bigger than a 1/2-watt resistor and is connected to the wiring via crimp connectors. I isolated the fuse from the rest of the circuit and used my trusty ohm meter to test it. Yep… open circuit. The fuse had blown. Thankfully, the brand and model number were clearly visible on the thermal fuse. It's an SEFUSE brand, 10 amp, designed to blow at 240º C (464º F).

In addition to the fuse, there's a circuit breaker arrangement mounted to the bottom of the upper half of the kettle. There's a bit of spring metal that, when heated to a certain temperature, changes position and opens the circuit (allowing the kettle to cool). The mounting nut holding this circuit breaker to the bottom of the kettle was somewhat loose. The way it mounts, I suspect that it being loose could affect how well the spring metal reacts to heat.

I tightened the nut on the circuit breaker and replaced the SEFUSE with the exact same brand/model (easily sourced on the web). I reassembled the kettle, plugged it in, and sure enough it's heating again!!

I didn't pop any batches of corn so, at this point, I do not know if my fix is going to last. The problem MAY lie with the spring metal in the circuit breaker not working correctly. If it doesn't respond at the right time, the kettle could become too hot and, pop, there goes the thermal fuse again.

I will add this…. When I went to make that third batch of popcorn right before I figured out the kettle wasn't getting hot anymore, I put in the coconut oil first to let it heat for a bit. Then I FORGOT to add the popcorn within a few minutes. I got distracted by one of our guests and got involved in a conversation. It was about 10 minutes before I realized the popcorn wasn't popping. Oops… I never poured the corn into the kettle! So, the kettle sat there heating (stirring rod NOT turning) with oil in it for about 10 minutes. If the little circuit breaker is designed to open the contacts before 464º F, then the fuse should not have blown. But I'm reasonably convinced that, had I added the corn in a timely fashion and turned on the stirring rod, I wouldn't have needed to replace that fuse. The corn would have absorbed some of the heat and helped keep the temp below 464º F.

I'll be more careful going forward. The machine will get used again this next weekend. We'll see how it goes.

Mark

Update #2: I've now made three batches of popcorn using the repaired kettle. Works like new!

I'll definitely be more careful about letting the kettle heat without popcorn kernels in it to absorb some of the heat!

Mark
post #369 of 474 Old 11-22-2013, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScAndal View Post

Is this online or in warehouse. I'm assuming the stand is removable?

It is removable.
post #370 of 474 Old 11-26-2013, 10:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyad View Post

It's less than that at Amazon. There it's $168.
However, Costo's return policy might also make it the better place to buy it from.
post #371 of 474 Old 11-26-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla View Post

However, Costo's return policy might also make it the better place to buy it from.

my thoughts exactly however I'd really prefer black.
post #372 of 474 Old 11-26-2013, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla View Post

This is the reason I bought mine from Costco. You can't go wrong with there return policy. Btw, the machine I received is the GNP-800 model black with cart. It came with popcorn bags, scoop, measuring cups, 3 popcorn cups.

post #373 of 474 Old 11-26-2013, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluer101 View Post

This is the reason I bought mine from Costco. You can't go wrong with there return policy. Btw, the machine I received is the GNP-800 model black with cart. It came with popcorn bags, scoop, measuring cups.

Wow thanks! I didn't realize it comes in black as well. Looks great.
post #374 of 474 Old 11-26-2013, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

I'm also in the process of adding a double switch in place of the warming lamp/deck. I want to operate the 2 independently from each other. Mainly to operate the light by itself to use as a room light without operating the deck warmer.

I already got the switch which goes in the same spot and have figured out the wiring. Just need to do it now.
post #375 of 474 Old 11-26-2013, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

The one at Amazon doesn't include the cart. which more than offsets the $12 difference, even adding tax.
post #376 of 474 Old 11-27-2013, 08:51 AM

The same machine with cart is going for almost $250 on amazon.  I'm waiting to buy it for $70 less with Costco on this Black Friday.  In fact I may buy a few and just resell them later to make a couple bucks off this deal.

post #377 of 474 Old 11-28-2013, 06:58 AM

Liked: 13
I bought the Greater Northern. 8oz with cart from costco online today. They are having Black Friday deals starting today. I got it for $179 including shipping,
post #378 of 474 Old 11-28-2013, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nflguy View Post

I bought the Greater Northern. 8oz with cart from costco online today. They are having Black Friday deals starting today. I got it for $179 including shipping,

To everyone ordering, enjoy it, a great price at $179 or even the $214, can't go wrong. I love mine. Yes it might not be built like the more expensive ones but it does the job. I'm not going into business with it. Besides if it ever fails back to costco it goes.

When you get it just check the whole thing over before assembly. My cart base has a real small dent in it but you really have to look to find it. Did not want to take a chance on ordering another. Also the box is very big that it comes in too.
post #379 of 474 Old 01-02-2014, 10:29 AM

I wish I would've known about the price for the Greater Northern. 8oz with cart on Black Friday. I definitely would've picked one up. Now I"m gonna have to pay the extra cash for it. As long as it's a decent machine I guess I"m ok with it.
post #380 of 474 Old 01-02-2014, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by santora View Post

I wish I would've known about the price for the Greater Northern. 8oz with cart on Black Friday. I definitely would've picked one up. Now I"m gonna have to pay the extra cash for it. As long as it's a decent machine I guess I"m ok with it.

I paid the $214 and love mine. It's not a bad price for what you get. Sure you can get a better machine but I'm not going into business with it. Plus Costcos return policy makes it a no brainier.
post #381 of 474 Old 01-03-2014, 06:49 AM
Advanced Member

Surprised you missed it. Even after Black Friday they kept the price at $179 throughout the holidays.
post #382 of 474 Old 01-03-2014, 11:18 AM

I didn't really start looking for one until just a few days ago. Now it's back to full price. Oh well.
post #383 of 474 Old 01-08-2014, 11:19 AM

I've had the 8oz Paragon Contemporary popper for about a year. I'm really happy with it. The build quality is solid, it looks nice, is easy to clean, and makes great popcorn. The only thing to watch for is that there are a lot of sharp edges on this thing. I sliced my hand pretty bad on the kettle lid recently. And even though it is the moderately larger 8oz size, there's not a lot of space to work with when loading the kettle. I often burn myself trying to squeeze the oil from a portion pack in into the kettle.

But now that I've had it for a while, I'm aware of where all of the sharp edges are and am a little more careful when poking around.

No regrets on buying the machine though. We use it quite often. My wife was pretty weary about me buying one in the first place, so instead of convincing her, I just ordered it smile.gif She loves it as much as I do wink.gif

I ordered it from epopcorn.com in the US. I live in Canada and the shipping rates were quite reasonable compared to every other place I was able to get quotes from.
post #384 of 474 Old 01-09-2014, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member

This is going to be blasphemy around here, but I would not buy one again if I had it to do all over. We have a Paragon Theater Pop 6oz and it is a great popper. But we pop 1 package, maybe 2 if we have more than 4 people and it's done. Then you have to disassemble and clean the damn thing. After the movie, who wants to do that? Not me. So, it may be a few days before I remember to clean it. I recently bought a Whirly-Pop and may never use the other popper again.

Formerly known as J--- H----. Member since 11/2002. My real name was showing up in Google too much!

What we have heah...is a failyah to communicate.
post #385 of 474 Old 01-09-2014, 01:17 PM

I'm not sure it is necessary to disassemble every time to clean it. I simply wipe mine down thoroughly with a damp cloth after each use, and only do a more complete cleaning periodically.
post #386 of 474 Old 01-09-2014, 04:17 PM

Another vote for Paragon! Excellent quality and warranty. It's worth the extra cost to only have to buy it once. I buy bulk coconut oil, flavacol, and popcorn.

Eric - long time home theater enthusiast (laserdisc anyone?)

Panasonic TC-P60VT60
Yamaha RX-V673
Panasonic DMP-BDT220
Toshiba HD-A3
Oppo DV983H
KEF KHT3005SE (x2) in 7.1 config
Logictech Harmony One
post #387 of 474 Old 01-10-2014, 09:09 AM

I have had buyer's remorse for a lot of things but my popcorn popper isn't one of them. I use it at least once a week (normally Friday or Saturday night) and then clean it the next day. Takes 10 minutes to clean, really not much more time than washing a stove top popper.
hjnaidu likes this.
post #388 of 474 Old 01-10-2014, 09:11 AM

I have a Gold Medal and also buy corn, flavacol & oil although I use peanut popping oil instead of coconut.
post #389 of 474 Old 01-10-2014, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godsbrother View Post

I have had buyer's remorse for a lot of things but my popcorn popper isn't one of them. I use it at least once a week (normally Friday or Saturday night) and then clean it the next day. Takes 10 minutes to clean, really not much more time than washing a stove top popper.

Yup, this is pretty much how it works for me too. We use it on a Friday or Saturday, but my wife and I typically don't eat an entire batch in one night. We usually eat it over the next few days, and then I spend about 5 minutes cleaning it.
post #390 of 474 Old 01-10-2014, 03:34 PM

So I finally ordered the great northern 8 oz popcorn maker. There is no cart with it and was wondering if I could just set it on a table and use a regular house outlet for it? The one I ordered is this one Great Northern Popcorn Black Bar Style Lincoln 8 Ounce Antique Popcorn Machine (Bar Style)
http://amzn.com/B000QWCAB4

Any suggestions on popcorn?
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page