Popcorn machine recommendations - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #451 of 509 Old 04-19-2014, 01:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Thanks TheCrow1994. I finally ordered a stand to go with the machine. My wife and I are really happy with the way the red looks with the dark colored wood. The only thing I don't like about the stand is the door has a gap at the top right hand corner. It is a small gap but even with the leveling feet extended almost all the way out at the front; the door still really digs into the carpet when the door gets almost all the way open. Does any one else's stand have a gap on the door?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 509 Old 05-08-2014, 06:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Great Northern Popcorn Machine Users: How are you enjoying your machine? Do you have an upgrade itch? I am on the fence on purchasing one of the 8oz units after reading some of the down sides. The 100% difference in price to get into a 4oz Paragon (I need a stand) is holding me back from going that route.

On the other hand my son is 18 months old, so looking at the next decade of movie nights, birthday parties, sleepovers, is making me think I should go with the unit with the better quality/lifetime warranty.

Thoughts?
post #453 of 509 Old 05-08-2014, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 90
My GN has been fine. I bought it through Costco as they have a great price and return policy. Maybe down the road I will get a better machine but right now it's fine. It's not like I'm using it everyday with lots if batches.
post #454 of 509 Old 05-09-2014, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
I got a great northern 8oz for Christmas but ended up returning it to costco before even using it. I could see that I did not want the hassle of cleaning it, so I decided to stick with my stovetop whirlypop machine. Easy to use, easy to clean up and does not take up space in the basement.
post #455 of 509 Old 05-10-2014, 08:34 PM

I figured out why the door on my stand had a gap on one side. The leveling feet where slightly out of level causing the stand to warp slightly to one side. I got the feet leveled, now the door looks perfectly even.

post #456 of 509 Old 05-10-2014, 08:39 PM

*I

I bought a folding table from Lowes and we used our machine in our families first ever outdoor movie night.

post #457 of 509 Old 05-11-2014, 05:17 AM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I have the 8oz GN popper and have had the same out come with un popped kernels flying out of the kettle. What has helped me is added a squirt or 2 of Orville Redenbacher's buttery flavor popcorn oil to the kettle along with the pre made packs I have. With adding that I find that almost all my popcorn now comes out coated in the yellow flavoring and also seems to pop better. With just using the pre made packs it seemed that only about 75% of the popcorn came out flavored and more un popped kernels.

My thinking was that with the premade packs, the oil provided was just enough to get the job done but was not enough to coat all the kernels properly for the kettle to heat the kernels to pop, so adding a little more oil has helped me pop more of the kernels and added a little extra butter flavor.

The only thing I regret is that I did not get a 12oz popper. I find that with 8oz popper is good to about 8 people but if you start to add teens into the mix a bigger popper will help.Every one loves the popcorn and it does taste better than the theater.

I do not do a complete cleaning on it every time I use it but simply wipe the kettle out with a damp towel and the dry it. Once every month will do a complete cleaning if usage had been sufficient to warrant the cleaning.

Tux's Elusive 1099 (L/C/R)---Ascend CBM-170 SE (surrounds 9.2)---SVS PB 12 Plus---SVS PC 12 Plus---2 DIY 18's sealed--AVR Denon 4520CI---TV Vizio 70---110" Motorized Screen---Epson 8350 Projector---Unraid 32TB Network Storage---Gateway SX 2370 HTPC with 120 SSD
post #458 of 509 Old 06-07-2014, 08:54 AM

Hello everyone

I am new to the forum and have just found this wonderful popcorn machine thread, and thaught that this might be the place to pose my question. Sorry if it is not the right forum for this sort of thing.

I have just purchased my first popcorn machine and am absolutely thrilled with it! The machine I have is a Gold medal P60 special, and I have just made my first few batches of popcorn, and wow, they tasted just like they should.

Well, after I have finished popping, I have also been  cleaning the machine thurowly, so that it is reddy to pop another day. I have cleaned the inside and outside of the cabinet, the kettle, and I have also removed both the worming tray as well as the drop panel and cleand them with hot water and dish washing liquite by the sink.

Now for my problem, which I do hope someone wil be able to help me with. For some reason, I cannot seem to reattach the ddrop panel correctly! The worming tray whent in again just fine, but the drop panel simply will not fitt correctly  no matter what I do.

Being visually impaired, I have no oppotunity to look at pictures showing me how the attachment is done, and unfortunatlly I have not got any sighted asistance here just now who can help me out. This is why I thaught I wanted to try and ask in here. I wonder if someone could please describe to me what I should do in order to attach the drop panel? Like what tab on the panel goes whare and so forth!!

Thanks in advance for all the help you can provide.

All the best from Allan

post #459 of 509 Old 06-07-2014, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I have a Great Northern so I don't know if they work the same, but the drop panel just kind of falls in. With the glass door open, press the sides so they are inside the machine. My drop panel has two tabs at the bottom that just drop into two slots on the front edge. That's all.
post #460 of 509 Old 06-07-2014, 09:20 AM

Hello there

Thanks for your swift reply.

Well, I can agree with you with your description about opening the doors, and pressing at the sites of the drop panel untill it is inside the machine. My drop panel also seem to have to taps at the bottom. However, the only slots they seem to fitt into are actually located at the worming tray and not at the bottum of the machine itself, however it seem to be the only slot they'll go into. However, when trying to bring the panel in level with the machine and trying to lower it and closing it Again and so forth it seems as if it still missing some sort of attaching, because it falls Down into the machine.

All the best from Allan

post #461 of 509 Old 06-07-2014, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

I went and looked again and like yours, the slots are actually on the warming tray. There aren't any other attachments on mine.
post #462 of 509 Old 06-07-2014, 09:40 AM

Thanks! Well, that at least tells me that I am using the right tabs at the right slots! Am now just wondering why it keeps Falling Down in spite of that. Am wondering what I am missing, as I cannot seem to find any more attachements the panel can fitt into!

All the best from Allan

post #463 of 509 Old 06-07-2014, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

You mean the panel keeps falling open? Is it possible you squeezed the side panels too much and they lost some of their drag resistance?
post #464 of 509 Old 06-07-2014, 10:18 AM

No, what I mean is that the panel actually will fall Down into the machine if I do not hold on to it just as if it is not secured efisiontly in the slots. however, there only seem to be one way for the tabs to slide into the slots, so I dont think I am dooing anything wrong here? Hope my explanation makes some sort of sence.

All the best from Allan

post #465 of 509 Old 06-07-2014, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mine can't fall into the machine because the top of the panel had two tabs that makes it lay on the front of the machine. You haven't perchance put the whole panel inside have you? Only the side panels go inside, not the front.
post #466 of 509 Old 06-07-2014, 10:54 AM

No, I have not. My panel has two tabs on the sides as well. You can say that when placed correctly they help holding the panel in place in the 45 degree angle when in the open possision. at least that is what it feels like to me. The 2 buttom tabs go into the slots on the worming tray and if all are placed correctly, they aught to hold the panel in place, right? problem is that they dont!

I Wonder if it is just me WHO is missing something obvious!

All the best from Allan

post #467 of 509 Old 06-07-2014, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

The tabs on the side panels limit the door to a 45 degree angle. The bottom tabs go in the warming tray slot. However the whole door panel has tabs on the top with little cushions on them which are door stops preventing the panel from going inside the machine.

I'll check back later. Going offline.
post #468 of 509 Old 06-21-2014, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNCRob View Post
I
I bought a folding table from Lowes and we used our machine in our families first ever outdoor movie night.
Hey Rob, where did you get those small cardboard popcorn buckets? I can only find large ones and they look like a great size.

JOE
post #469 of 509 Old 07-01-2014, 10:46 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
just got done reading through this thread and I've decided on a Paragon Cineplex since we have just a family of 4. I saw a few references to it but nothing definitive.. my machine is going to be in my theater room upstairs with the attic right above.. should I look to add some sort of venting fan that would redirect any smoke, etc.. into the attic? all my equipment, etc.. will be at the front of the room with the machine in the back but wanted to make sure that the smoke, oil, exhaust, etc.. wasn't going to be harmful to the equipment if just sent out into the room.
post #470 of 509 Old 07-02-2014, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabsabre View Post
just got done reading through this thread and I've decided on a Paragon Cineplex since we have just a family of 4. I saw a few references to it but nothing definitive.. my machine is going to be in my theater room upstairs with the attic right above.. should I look to add some sort of venting fan that would redirect any smoke, etc.. into the attic? all my equipment, etc.. will be at the front of the room with the machine in the back but wanted to make sure that the smoke, oil, exhaust, etc.. wasn't going to be harmful to the equipment if just sent out into the room.
I installed a range hood vented outdoors above mine. You can click the link to my thread to see the photo of it. If I hadn't done that I doubt I would ever be able to use it as it smokes a lot. The vented hood was absolutely worth the time and money.

My perpetual home theater build - Omaha Theater #5
post #471 of 509 Old 07-02-2014, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member

The link in your signature doesn't go to your thread.
post #472 of 509 Old 07-02-2014, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Omaha Theater #5

You are right, must have broken when the new site went online. I can't even get the user control panel on this site to work, to be able to fix the signature link.

post #473 of 509 Old 07-02-2014, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

post #474 of 509 Old 07-06-2014, 04:42 AM

Liked: 0
Hello people,

I apologise if this is not the right spot for such a question. However, this seems the best thread on popcorn machines on the net!
I would like to offer popcorn in a local free event (I am in Australia). They told me that there is a chance that the event will repeat too (!). It's a small scale outdoors event; so we are looking at probably 50 popcorn bags max (or something like that).
Would the machines mentioned in this thread be OK?

Is anybody listening wanting to sell theirs, and willing to ship it to Australia?

Thank for listening,

Merc.
post #475 of 509 Old 08-02-2014, 01:29 PM

Just received my paragon theater pop 4 from: www.nowpopping.com

Very well built. My previous popper was a paramount popcorn machine and the quality difference is night and day. The paramount was cheaply built (made in china). The paragon machine is built in the usa and is seriously nice. My recommendation is to go with a popper built in the us and not china. I would recommend Paragon or Benchmark.

Here's my paragon machine

post #476 of 509 Old 10-10-2014, 04:28 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent_b_23 View Post
Paragon 8oz users:
Has anyone timed how long it takes from a cold start to get a full batch of popcorn? I am looking at either a 4 oz or 8 oz.
The difference in price between the 6 oz and 8 oz at least to me is not different enough so would just go for the 8 oz.
I have the 8oz Paragon Contemporary. I typically let the kettle heat up for 6-8 minutes before popping.
post #477 of 509 Old 10-12-2014, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Poppers

We have been selling popcorn machines for 14 years, I would do the paragon's over any other company, yes they are more than double a great northern priced popper. The best popper for the money I believe is the Theater Pop series from Paragon, they have poppers in 4, 6, 8, 12 and 16oz kettle sizes. We did some videos on these on our You Tube channel.

Regards,
Alan Hutchinson
HTmarket.com
post #478 of 509 Old 10-25-2014, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I see a lot of people buy the cart for theirs. I have my greatnorthern 8 Oz popper sitting on a small 4.6 cuft refrigerator, you do want something to go with the popcorn right? I have had mine for a year now works just fine.

my HT
post #479 of 509 Old 10-27-2014, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 1
popcorn

the great northern's work fine with light use, for heavier usage I would go paragon. The great northern's are really targeted a home user with light usage. The kettles will burn out quicker than paragon so at some point you'll be replacing a kettle. For those who use every day go with something more robust. For once a week the great northern should do the trick.

Regards
Alan Hutchinson
HTmarket.com
post #480 of 509 Old 10-27-2014, 10:24 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
6 oz popcorn bag in Paragon Cineplex 4 oz popper

Im ready to upgrade my Little Bambino 2.5oz to the Paragon Cineplex 4oz machine. I like the Paragon Cineplex copper 4oz unit and would like to know if anyone is popping the 6 oz bags in the 4oz Cineplex without too many uncooked kernals or "old maids". It seems you can pop 6oz bags in the Gold Medal 4oz unit no problem, but I cant find anything here concretely stating you can efficiently pop a 6oz bag in the 4oz Cineplex. Much thanks for your replys.
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page