Popcorn machine recommendations - Page 18 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
post #511 of 531 Old 12-17-2014, 08:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halloween View Post
Paragon Cineplex antique copper machine and cart now set up. Really like how it matches the rubbed oil bronze door hardware as well as the travertine pavers in the floor. I don't think the yellow or red options would have worked as well out here. Now just waiting on some supplies to stock the cart. We do have the one Country Harvest kit that came with the machine, so will start with that this weekend.

Very happy with how fast the Cineplex popcorn machine and cart arrived and both in perfect shape via Fedex.

Anyone have experience making popcorn using jalapenos to spice it up? I used to work in a fighter squadron in the Air Force, and the pilots/mission planners used to make some really wicked jalapeno popcorn that brought tears to my eyes every time I worked in their section. But the taste was worth the short irritation. I really never watched close enough to what they were doing to learn. So if anyone has a technique, please let me know.

Hi Halloween,
How do you like your machine. I wanted to go with 6 oz but really like the looks of this one.
Did you ever try the 6 oz packs in yours? How many are you cooking for? We are 5 with an occasional movie night of 8 to 10.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 531 Old 12-18-2014, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
We love our paragon popper. couldn't be more happier!
post #513 of 531 Old 12-21-2014, 04:39 PM

Liked: 0
Great Deal-Cineplex 4oz

Been watching this thread for awhile, and really helped me decide on choosing a quality machine. Purchased a Cineplex 4oz and have been very happy. Thank you all!

Thought I would Share, seller "e-Chef" via Ebay is offering the Cineplex on special right now for $222 shipped, lowest I have ever seen for this model. Wish I had waited a few weeks. I can't post a link since I am a newbie, but feel free to search by seller. "Best Offer" also available, so may even do a little better.
post #514 of 531 Old 12-23-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBeatzX View Post
Been watching this thread for awhile, and really helped me decide on choosing a quality machine. Purchased a Cineplex 4oz and have been very happy. Thank you all!

Thought I would Share, seller "e-Chef" via Ebay is offering the Cineplex on special right now for $222 shipped, lowest I have ever seen for this model. Wish I had waited a few weeks. I can't post a link since I am a newbie, but feel free to search by seller. "Best Offer" also available, so may even do a little better.
xBeatz,
What are you using for popcorn and oil? Mine is showing up tomorrow and I want to have something to try for the weekend.
post #515 of 531 Old 12-24-2014, 07:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Booth View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by Mark Booth 

Update on our 12 oz. Great Northern machine….

Last weekend, after making two 12 oz. batches of popcorn before the 1st movie, I went to make a third (and forth) batch for second feature. The kettle in our machine heated the coconut oil but then lost all heat and wouldn't pop the corn! DAMN!!

There were a few reports of this problem (Amazon reviews) when I purchased the machine, but I was willing to take the risk because I really needed a machine with a large bin capacity.

I contacted Great Northern and they have a repair program. The kettle is only warrantied for 30 days! (I knew that going in.) For $24.95 prepaid (plus one-way shipping), they'll repair the kettle (regardless of problem). I got an RMA number but I am concerned about turnaround time. I need the machine every two weeks for the next several months. So, being pretty competent with things electrical, I decided to disassemble the kettle to see if I could figure out the problem.

Turns out there is a thermal fuse built into the circuit inside the two halves of the kettle. It's not much bigger than a 1/2-watt resistor and is connected to the wiring via crimp connectors. I isolated the fuse from the rest of the circuit and used my trusty ohm meter to test it. Yep… open circuit. The fuse had blown. Thankfully, the brand and model number were clearly visible on the thermal fuse. It's an SEFUSE brand, 10 amp, designed to blow at 240º C (464º F).

In addition to the fuse, there's a circuit breaker arrangement mounted to the bottom of the upper half of the kettle. There's a bit of spring metal that, when heated to a certain temperature, changes position and opens the circuit (allowing the kettle to cool). The mounting nut holding this circuit breaker to the bottom of the kettle was somewhat loose. The way it mounts, I suspect that it being loose could affect how well the spring metal reacts to heat.

I tightened the nut on the circuit breaker and replaced the SEFUSE with the exact same brand/model (easily sourced on the web). I reassembled the kettle, plugged it in, and sure enough it's heating again!!

I didn't pop any batches of corn so, at this point, I do not know if my fix is going to last. The problem MAY lie with the spring metal in the circuit breaker not working correctly. If it doesn't respond at the right time, the kettle could become too hot and, pop, there goes the thermal fuse again.

I will add this…. When I went to make that third batch of popcorn right before I figured out the kettle wasn't getting hot anymore, I put in the coconut oil first to let it heat for a bit. Then I FORGOT to add the popcorn within a few minutes. I got distracted by one of our guests and got involved in a conversation. It was about 10 minutes before I realized the popcorn wasn't popping. Oops… I never poured the corn into the kettle! So, the kettle sat there heating (stirring rod NOT turning) with oil in it for about 10 minutes. If the little circuit breaker is designed to open the contacts before 464º F, then the fuse should not have blown. But I'm reasonably convinced that, had I added the corn in a timely fashion and turned on the stirring rod, I wouldn't have needed to replace that fuse. The corn would have absorbed some of the heat and helped keep the temp below 464º F.

I'll be more careful going forward. The machine will get used again this next weekend. We'll see how it goes.

Mark

Update #2: I've now made three batches of popcorn using the repaired kettle. Works like new!

I'll definitely be more careful about letting the kettle heat without popcorn kernels in it to absorb some of the heat!

Mark

Update #3 : It's been more than a year since I repaired my Great Northern's 12 oz kettle. I've continued to make about 6-8 batches of popcorn per month, so easily 90+ batches since I replaced the kettle's thermal fuse. The popper is still going strong.

Mark
post #516 of 531 Old 12-27-2014, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Hi everyone,
I'm looking at buying a popcorn maker, and I have tried one of my friend's makers and my concern is how long it took his (i'll assume it was 4 oz) to cook popcorn.

I currently have a Stir Crazy popper, which made the popcorn taste as good as his (maybe a different popper or different oil would make it taste better than the Stir Crazy), but my Stir Crazy seemed to make roughly 4 times as much popcorn in the amount of time his made one batch.

Not to sound picky, but I can eat a whole bowl from the Stir Crazy myself, so I'm looking for a popcorn maker that can make a big amount at once so I'm not waiting too long for the popcorn to begin my movie

Does anyone that has used a popcorn maker AND a stir crazy be able to help me compare the two?

Or just some suggestions for a quick popcorn maker

(the only reason to upgrade from the stir crazy is to get the "look" of the popcorn maker for my theater/bar.

thanks
post #517 of 531 Old 01-02-2015, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajistheman View Post
Hi everyone,
I'm looking at buying a popcorn maker, and I have tried one of my friend's makers and my concern is how long it took his (i'll assume it was 4 oz) to cook popcorn.

I currently have a Stir Crazy popper, which made the popcorn taste as good as his (maybe a different popper or different oil would make it taste better than the Stir Crazy), but my Stir Crazy seemed to make roughly 4 times as much popcorn in the amount of time his made one batch.

Not to sound picky, but I can eat a whole bowl from the Stir Crazy myself, so I'm looking for a popcorn maker that can make a big amount at once so I'm not waiting too long for the popcorn to begin my movie

Does anyone that has used a popcorn maker AND a stir crazy be able to help me compare the two?

Or just some suggestions for a quick popcorn maker

(the only reason to upgrade from the stir crazy is to get the "look" of the popcorn maker for my theater/bar.

thanks
I haven't used a Stir Crazy before, but I have a Theater Pop 6oz popper that makes a batch in about 3-5 minutes after a initial warm up of about 2 minutes. So you're looking at 5-7 minutes for the first batch and another 3-5 minutes for the second batch. One batch fills a standard popcorn box about 4.5 times. (as pictured)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	htmarket_2273_36314141.gif
Views:	25
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	455490  

Visit the Lipszyc Home Theater! 1.0
2.0 done and finally posted! - Theater 2.0

And now...The Queen City Theater (3.0)
post #518 of 531 Old 01-02-2015, 02:08 PM

4 OZ Machine

My Paragon machine showed up today. It looks great and went together easily.
I made the two batches that came with it and am eating as I type this.
A few comments:
The 4 oz machine is small. I can barely get a scoop in there and the container to load.
The first two batches did smoke quite a bit. I'm not sure if this is normal because of the oil or the kettle just burning off from the first uses.

It came with 2-6oz packages that popped without an issue.

If I can get my wife used to it I will probably try to step up to an 8 oz down the road.

Maxx
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Popcorn.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	455954  
post #519 of 531 Old 01-06-2015, 10:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Decent alternative for limited space

I found this decent sized popcorn machine in the clearance isle at Wally World.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hamilton-B...r-Red/38814099

Makes up to 8oz at a time and the kettle is easy to load and clean up. Great option for a person like myself who wants the real theater taste but does not have the room in my small theater. Seems to be built pretty well much better than my Stir Crazy. Thought I might share for anyone in a similar situation.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20150107_050615176_iOS.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	464505   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150107_050634242_iOS.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	464513   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150107_050731609_iOS.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	464521  
post #520 of 531 Old 01-12-2015, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I have the same exact machine as you. It smokes quite a bit, I put in a range hood over my bar area and vented it outside and I am very glad I did that. I like the machine and it looks great but I wish I had gone to a larger kettle size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxthedog View Post
My Paragon machine showed up today. It looks great and went together easily.
I made the two batches that came with it and am eating as I type this.
A few comments:
The 4 oz machine is small. I can barely get a scoop in there and the container to load.
The first two batches did smoke quite a bit. I'm not sure if this is normal because of the oil or the kettle just burning off from the first uses.

It came with 2-6oz packages that popped without an issue.

If I can get my wife used to it I will probably try to step up to an 8 oz down the road.

Maxx

My perpetual home theater build - Omaha Theater #5
post #521 of 531 Old 01-12-2015, 01:37 PM

Still too small.....

I can deal with the smoking, it dissipates pretty quickly in my kitchen where I have it. It is just the small kettle size. I end up making 3 batches usually.
Looks like I might try to sell it and step up to a 6 or 8.
I will say that the kids (and everyone else) loves the popper and the popcorn that comes out of it.
It is interesting; now every time I'm at a gas station, school gym or any concession stand with a popper, I'm always looking to see that brand it is and what the size is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebrunner View Post
I have the same exact machine as you. It smokes quite a bit, I put in a range hood over my bar area and vented it outside and I am very glad I did that. I like the machine and it looks great but I wish I had gone to a larger kettle size.
post #522 of 531 Old 01-16-2015, 11:27 PM

I have the great northern machine. It works pretty well but I don't think I'm getting the right oil: corn: salt ratio. Its not bad but its not up to movie theater quality.

What ratio are you guys using?
post #523 of 531 Old 01-17-2015, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Miller View Post
I have the great northern machine. It works pretty well but I don't think I'm getting the right oil: corn: salt ratio. Its not bad but its not up to movie theater quality.

What ratio are you guys using?
I use the portion packs with my GN 8 oz.
post #524 of 531 Old 01-17-2015, 02:36 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluer101 View Post
I use the portion packs with my GN 8 oz.
I been using my Great Northern popper for about three years now with no problems. Once it's ben popped I use a variety of shake on flavorings such as white cheddar and ranch.
post #525 of 531 Old 01-17-2015, 06:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 18
How about for 4 K contents and integration with control 4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #526 of 531 Old 01-17-2015, 09:33 PM

Herm... I lied. I have a paramount machine. They are so similar and I looked at so many I must have forgotten. I have the 6oz machine. I haven't tried the packs yet but I am going to.
post #527 of 531 Old 01-17-2015, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Miller View Post
Herm... I lied. I have a paramount machine. They are so similar and I looked at so many I must have forgotten. I have the 6oz machine. I haven't tried the packs yet but I am going to.
I use the gold medal mega pop.
post #528 of 531 Old 01-20-2015, 07:38 AM

Amazon currently has the "Great Northern Popcorn Black Bar Style Lincoln 8 Ounce Antique Popcorn Machine (Bar Style)" for sale for $143.99

http://www.amazon.com/Great-Northern...1cbe500c5fd090
post #529 of 531 Old 01-21-2015, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I've been using the GN packs in my 8oz GN machine. But I just ordered season salt/coconut oil & white kernels to give my own content mixing a try.
post #530 of 531 Old 01-21-2015, 05:43 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 39
i have http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
it comes with the 3 scoops presized for kernels, oil, and salt.

and i love it. Buy some of the flavacol salt, and some coconut oil.

I just use these: http://www.amazon.com/Great-Northern..._bxgy_k_text_y

but i also like to add a 1/4-1/2 scoop of the coconut oil
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and a 1/2 tsp salt (this stuff is like salt on steroids, use sparingly)
http://www.amazon.com/Gold-Medal-Pro...sin=B004W8LT10 in addition.
post #531 of 531 Unread Today, 12:20 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymerkramer View Post
I found this decent sized popcorn machine in the clearance isle at Wally World.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hamilton-B...r-Red/38814099

Makes up to 8oz at a time and the kettle is easy to load and clean up. Great option for a person like myself who wants the real theater taste but does not have the room in my small theater. Seems to be built pretty well much better than my Stir Crazy. Thought I might share for anyone in a similar situation.
Thanks for your post... This seems like a much more reasonable solution for real movie theater popcorn at home... I've been looking at the full-size machines, but just don't have the space... This one is much simpler and I like that the stuff that gets dirty can be removed and washed easily...

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page