5Likes

post #511 of 515 Old 12-17-2014, 08:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halloween View Post
Paragon Cineplex antique copper machine and cart now set up. Really like how it matches the rubbed oil bronze door hardware as well as the travertine pavers in the floor. I don't think the yellow or red options would have worked as well out here. Now just waiting on some supplies to stock the cart. We do have the one Country Harvest kit that came with the machine, so will start with that this weekend.

Very happy with how fast the Cineplex popcorn machine and cart arrived and both in perfect shape via Fedex.

Anyone have experience making popcorn using jalapenos to spice it up? I used to work in a fighter squadron in the Air Force, and the pilots/mission planners used to make some really wicked jalapeno popcorn that brought tears to my eyes every time I worked in their section. But the taste was worth the short irritation. I really never watched close enough to what they were doing to learn. So if anyone has a technique, please let me know.

Hi Halloween,
How do you like your machine. I wanted to go with 6 oz but really like the looks of this one.
Did you ever try the 6 oz packs in yours? How many are you cooking for? We are 5 with an occasional movie night of 8 to 10.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 515 Old 12-18-2014, 05:35 PM

Liked: 0
We love our paragon popper. couldn't be more happier!
post #513 of 515 Old 12-21-2014, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Great Deal-Cineplex 4oz

Been watching this thread for awhile, and really helped me decide on choosing a quality machine. Purchased a Cineplex 4oz and have been very happy. Thank you all!

Thought I would Share, seller "e-Chef" via Ebay is offering the Cineplex on special right now for $222 shipped, lowest I have ever seen for this model. Wish I had waited a few weeks. I can't post a link since I am a newbie, but feel free to search by seller. "Best Offer" also available, so may even do a little better.
post #514 of 515 Old Yesterday, 12:52 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by XBeatzX View Post
Been watching this thread for awhile, and really helped me decide on choosing a quality machine. Purchased a Cineplex 4oz and have been very happy. Thank you all!

Thought I would Share, seller "e-Chef" via Ebay is offering the Cineplex on special right now for $222 shipped, lowest I have ever seen for this model. Wish I had waited a few weeks. I can't post a link since I am a newbie, but feel free to search by seller. "Best Offer" also available, so may even do a little better.
xBeatz,
What are you using for popcorn and oil? Mine is showing up tomorrow and I want to have something to try for the weekend.
post #515 of 515 Old Today, 07:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Booth View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by Mark Booth 

Update on our 12 oz. Great Northern machine….

Last weekend, after making two 12 oz. batches of popcorn before the 1st movie, I went to make a third (and forth) batch for second feature. The kettle in our machine heated the coconut oil but then lost all heat and wouldn't pop the corn! DAMN!!

There were a few reports of this problem (Amazon reviews) when I purchased the machine, but I was willing to take the risk because I really needed a machine with a large bin capacity.

I contacted Great Northern and they have a repair program. The kettle is only warrantied for 30 days! (I knew that going in.) For $24.95 prepaid (plus one-way shipping), they'll repair the kettle (regardless of problem). I got an RMA number but I am concerned about turnaround time. I need the machine every two weeks for the next several months. So, being pretty competent with things electrical, I decided to disassemble the kettle to see if I could figure out the problem.

Turns out there is a thermal fuse built into the circuit inside the two halves of the kettle. It's not much bigger than a 1/2-watt resistor and is connected to the wiring via crimp connectors. I isolated the fuse from the rest of the circuit and used my trusty ohm meter to test it. Yep… open circuit. The fuse had blown. Thankfully, the brand and model number were clearly visible on the thermal fuse. It's an SEFUSE brand, 10 amp, designed to blow at 240º C (464º F).

In addition to the fuse, there's a circuit breaker arrangement mounted to the bottom of the upper half of the kettle. There's a bit of spring metal that, when heated to a certain temperature, changes position and opens the circuit (allowing the kettle to cool). The mounting nut holding this circuit breaker to the bottom of the kettle was somewhat loose. The way it mounts, I suspect that it being loose could affect how well the spring metal reacts to heat.

I tightened the nut on the circuit breaker and replaced the SEFUSE with the exact same brand/model (easily sourced on the web). I reassembled the kettle, plugged it in, and sure enough it's heating again!!

I didn't pop any batches of corn so, at this point, I do not know if my fix is going to last. The problem MAY lie with the spring metal in the circuit breaker not working correctly. If it doesn't respond at the right time, the kettle could become too hot and, pop, there goes the thermal fuse again.

I will add this…. When I went to make that third batch of popcorn right before I figured out the kettle wasn't getting hot anymore, I put in the coconut oil first to let it heat for a bit. Then I FORGOT to add the popcorn within a few minutes. I got distracted by one of our guests and got involved in a conversation. It was about 10 minutes before I realized the popcorn wasn't popping. Oops… I never poured the corn into the kettle! So, the kettle sat there heating (stirring rod NOT turning) with oil in it for about 10 minutes. If the little circuit breaker is designed to open the contacts before 464º F, then the fuse should not have blown. But I'm reasonably convinced that, had I added the corn in a timely fashion and turned on the stirring rod, I wouldn't have needed to replace that fuse. The corn would have absorbed some of the heat and helped keep the temp below 464º F.

I'll be more careful going forward. The machine will get used again this next weekend. We'll see how it goes.

Mark

Update #2: I've now made three batches of popcorn using the repaired kettle. Works like new!

I'll definitely be more careful about letting the kettle heat without popcorn kernels in it to absorb some of the heat!

Mark

Update #3 : It's been more than a year since I repaired my Great Northern's 12 oz kettle. I've continued to make about 6-8 batches of popcorn per month, so easily 90+ batches since I replaced the kettle's thermal fuse. The popper is still going strong.

Mark
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page