Popcorn machine recommendations - Page 19 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes

post #541 of 542 Old 02-23-2015, 03:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluer101 View Post
The pre portion packs have the right coconut oil, corn, and flavacol Orange salt. This orange salt is what give theater, theme park, etc that iconic taste.

I just sprinkle a little more (bought extra flavacol) orange salt to my liking.
For me, it’s not movie theater popcorn without the topic, after reading a lot of threads, I found others asking the same question and it seems O Dells Super Kist II Butter Topping is what most theaters use.

Now, just need to figure out how to pour it on warm with the least amount of hassle and mess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 542 Old Today, 07:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If anyone is still on the fence here are my thoughts regarding a popcorn machine. I have been debating buying one for a few years now and had overanalyzed it to death. I had initially thought of buying a Paragon or a Gold Medal but wanted to see them up close. I live outside Detroit and there are two local places that sell the machines. Royal Popcorn in Madison Heights and Detroit Popcorn in Redford. Royal carries Paragon and Great Northern while Detroit is exclusively Gold Medal. After looking closely at both machines I ended up with the Gold Medal 4oz Funpop and stand. I thought the kettle on the Gold Medal was a better design. The paragon kettle drops too low when making multiple batches and gets caught in the previously popped popcorn. The Gold Medal kettle tilts on it's center axis so you can fill it higher without interference. I also was a bit reluctant on having anodized aluminum as the kettle base vs. the stainless steel of the Gold Medal. I will say that the Paragon has a better heater than the Gold Medal at this price level. The Gold Medal is a 20w foil that won't keep the popcorn very warm. It is mainly used as a dehumidifier to keep the popcorn crisp.The Paragon's will keep the popcorn pretty warm. I soon realized that a 4oz machine was too small for my needs. At least once a week I make 24oz of popcorn for my kids to take to their classroom for snacks for all the kids. I got tired of making multiple batches and the 4oz gets full pretty fast. I talked to Detroit Popcorn where I had purchased it. They let me exchange it for the Gold Medal 8oz Funpop and gave me a full credit for my 4oz machine and stand, which was very kind of them. They said they would put my old 4oz in their rental fleet. There is so much more room in the 8oz to both put in the oil, popcorn and flavacol and scoop it into bags. It's easier to clean too. Some of the more expensive Gold Medal machines have tubular heaters that will keep the popcorn much warmer so I might try installing one in my Funpop. The people at both Royal and Detroit Popcorn were a pleasure to deal with and I buy supplies from both.

James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page