Popcorn machine recommendations - Page 21 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 25Likes

post #601 of 610 Old 02-08-2016, 08:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thank you for the responses. I had already planned on purchasing several of the ingredients mentioned in this post to try out and figure out what works best for us. Wouldn't hurt to have a smaller popper for batches when its just myself and my wife. Then when budget allows (or I find something on CL), I can step up to the larger popper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 610 Old 02-08-2016, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Here is my 2 cents. Whirly pop, paragon coconut oil 3tbsp, flavacol 1 tsp...heat till all is melted and almost smoking (very important to keep popcorn from being chewy). Drop 1/2 cup of Orville Red corn in. As soon as done, I put it in a very tight fit steel pan with a 125 watt heat bulb heat lamp on top and let it sit for 15 minutes (very important to aid in the crispy taste along with fusing the salt).

Top with Odell's Super Kist II topping. This is very authentic tasting to me.
post #603 of 610 Old 02-08-2016, 05:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 69
I must not be particular LMAO!! Just got a Carnival King 8 oz popper and a pretty cool wheel stand/base. I use the pre-packaged kernels/salt/oil packs.

My first batch was made tonight. It was crispy. It was delicious. It was EASY. And, clean up took 5 minutes. It popped 98% of the kernels, too.

Everyone has different and specific needs, but for my use (about once every few weeks) this particular popper is perfect! Also love the stand, as I can wheel it to and from the closet when not in use

Play nice. It's just an online forum :)
post #604 of 610 Old 02-08-2016, 05:32 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Whirly-Pop + either Crisco's Canola oil or their 50-50 Canola + Corn oil blend.
Orville R. is the default, but Newman's Own popcorn is pretty good alternative as well.

Finely ground salt, a little bit of ground pepper (or maybe a bit of red chili powder, if folks are feeling the need for a burn), and melted Land-o-lakes butter.

Primary (2.1): Thiel CS 1.2 / Velodyne F1000 sub / Adcom GFA-555 Mk2 / Rotel 970BX / Sony CDP-CA9 ES
Secondary (5.1): Paradigm Mini-Monitor v.3 / CC270 v.3 center / ADP-170 v.2 surrounds /
SVS SB1000 sub / Marantz SR-6010 / AppleTV + Win7 PC / BenQ BL3200PT
post #605 of 610 Old 02-09-2016, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I picked up this last week at Sams club. I still need to get some ingredients. Seems like the premixed is the way to go but does any B&M store sell them?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160130_161550.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	1241105  
post #606 of 610 Old 02-09-2016, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by traider79 View Post
I picked up this last week at Sams club. I still need to get some ingredients. Seems like the premixed is the way to go but does any B&M store sell them?
Nice!
Bed Bath and Beyond has some premixed 4oz packs... they were "pretty good" not as good as the Gold Medal premixed packs. I don't think the BB&B packs have flavacol in them, they have some other flavored salt.

-Aaron
My Basement Movie Room and Bar/Game Room - actually doing stuff now... please comment!
post #607 of 610 Old 02-09-2016, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 80
post #608 of 610 Old 02-11-2016, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wired1 View Post
I must not be particular LMAO!! Just got a Carnival King 8 oz popper and a pretty cool wheel stand/base. I use the pre-packaged kernels/salt/oil packs.

My first batch was made tonight. It was crispy. It was delicious. It was EASY. And, clean up took 5 minutes. It popped 98% of the kernels, too.

Everyone has different and specific needs, but for my use (about once every few weeks) this particular popper is perfect! Also love the stand, as I can wheel it to and from the closet when not in use
What is so hard about what I wrote? And my clean up...seconds with a wipe out.

If you want second rate..sure, but if you want the authentic flavor stick to what the movie theaters use...which is what I laid out.

Prepackaged crap is what it is. Loaded with preserves and simply too costly in the long run. My recipe will last you years.
post #609 of 610 Old Yesterday, 09:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by genesim View Post
Here is my 2 cents. Whirly pop, paragon coconut oil 3tbsp, flavacol 1 tsp...heat till all is melted and almost smoking (very important to keep popcorn from being chewy). Drop 1/2 cup of Orville Red corn in. As soon as done, I put it in a very tight fit steel pan with a 125 watt heat bulb heat lamp on top and let it sit for 15 minutes (very important to aid in the crispy taste along with fusing the salt).

Top with Odell's Super Kist II topping. This is very authentic tasting to me.
My cooks with my machine are pretty similar, especially letting the kettle get hot before pouring everything in.

Odell's is 99% similar to Rico's popcorn butter, though I don't know if Rico's sells theirs anymore. I ordered a gallon from them once and they sent me 4 lol. After that I used to have to email them to order it as it was pulled from the site. Cinemark switched away from Rico's to ODell's sometime within the last two years so I'm betting they don't produce it any longer.

Try using the "Better Buttery" Flavacol if you get a chance. It's pretty awesome.
post #610 of 610 Old Today, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRiderX View Post
My cooks with my machine are pretty similar, especially letting the kettle get hot before pouring everything in.

Odell's is 99% similar to Rico's popcorn butter, though I don't know if Rico's sells theirs anymore. I ordered a gallon from them once and they sent me 4 lol. After that I used to have to email them to order it as it was pulled from the site. Cinemark switched away from Rico's to ODell's sometime within the last two years so I'm betting they don't produce it any longer.

Try using the "Better Buttery" Flavacol if you get a chance. It's pretty awesome.
Thanks for the tip!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page