Popcorn machine recommendations - Page 21 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 41Likes

post #601 of 640 Old 02-08-2016, 07:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thank you for the responses. I had already planned on purchasing several of the ingredients mentioned in this post to try out and figure out what works best for us. Wouldn't hurt to have a smaller popper for batches when its just myself and my wife. Then when budget allows (or I find something on CL), I can step up to the larger popper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 640 Old 02-08-2016, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here is my 2 cents. Whirly pop, paragon coconut oil 3tbsp, flavacol 1 tsp...heat till all is melted and almost smoking (very important to keep popcorn from being chewy). Drop 1/2 cup of Orville Red corn in. As soon as done, I put it in a very tight fit steel pan with a 125 watt heat bulb heat lamp on top and let it sit for 15 minutes (very important to aid in the crispy taste along with fusing the salt).

Top with Odell's Super Kist II topping. This is very authentic tasting to me.
post #603 of 640 Old 02-08-2016, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 107
I must not be particular LMAO!! Just got a Carnival King 8 oz popper and a pretty cool wheel stand/base. I use the pre-packaged kernels/salt/oil packs.

My first batch was made tonight. It was crispy. It was delicious. It was EASY. And, clean up took 5 minutes. It popped 98% of the kernels, too.

Everyone has different and specific needs, but for my use (about once every few weeks) this particular popper is perfect! Also love the stand, as I can wheel it to and from the closet when not in use

Play nice. It's just an online forum :)
post #604 of 640 Old 02-08-2016, 04:32 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Whirly-Pop + either Crisco's Canola oil or their 50-50 Canola + Corn oil blend.
Orville R. is the default, but Newman's Own popcorn is pretty good alternative as well.

Finely ground salt, a little bit of ground pepper (or maybe a bit of red chili powder, if folks are feeling the need for a burn), and melted Land-o-lakes butter.

Primary (2.1): Thiel CS 1.2 / Velodyne F1000 sub / Adcom GFA-555 Mk2 / Rotel 970BX / Sony CDP-CA9 ES
Secondary (5.1): Paradigm Mini-Monitor v.3 / CC270 v.3 center / ADP-170 v.2 surrounds /
SVS SB1000 sub / Marantz SR-6010 / AppleTV + Win7 PC / BenQ BL3200PT
post #605 of 640 Old 02-09-2016, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I picked up this last week at Sams club. I still need to get some ingredients. Seems like the premixed is the way to go but does any B&M store sell them?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160130_161550.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	1241105  
post #606 of 640 Old 02-09-2016, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by traider79 View Post
I picked up this last week at Sams club. I still need to get some ingredients. Seems like the premixed is the way to go but does any B&M store sell them?
Nice!
Bed Bath and Beyond has some premixed 4oz packs... they were "pretty good" not as good as the Gold Medal premixed packs. I don't think the BB&B packs have flavacol in them, they have some other flavored salt.

-Aaron
My Basement Movie Room and Bar/Game Room - actually doing stuff now... please comment!
post #607 of 640 Old 02-09-2016, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 82
post #608 of 640 Old 02-11-2016, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wired1 View Post
I must not be particular LMAO!! Just got a Carnival King 8 oz popper and a pretty cool wheel stand/base. I use the pre-packaged kernels/salt/oil packs.

My first batch was made tonight. It was crispy. It was delicious. It was EASY. And, clean up took 5 minutes. It popped 98% of the kernels, too.

Everyone has different and specific needs, but for my use (about once every few weeks) this particular popper is perfect! Also love the stand, as I can wheel it to and from the closet when not in use
What is so hard about what I wrote? And my clean up...seconds with a wipe out.

If you want second rate..sure, but if you want the authentic flavor stick to what the movie theaters use...which is what I laid out.

Prepackaged crap is what it is. Loaded with preserves and simply too costly in the long run. My recipe will last you years.
post #609 of 640 Old 02-12-2016, 08:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by genesim View Post
Here is my 2 cents. Whirly pop, paragon coconut oil 3tbsp, flavacol 1 tsp...heat till all is melted and almost smoking (very important to keep popcorn from being chewy). Drop 1/2 cup of Orville Red corn in. As soon as done, I put it in a very tight fit steel pan with a 125 watt heat bulb heat lamp on top and let it sit for 15 minutes (very important to aid in the crispy taste along with fusing the salt).

Top with Odell's Super Kist II topping. This is very authentic tasting to me.
My cooks with my machine are pretty similar, especially letting the kettle get hot before pouring everything in.

Odell's is 99% similar to Rico's popcorn butter, though I don't know if Rico's sells theirs anymore. I ordered a gallon from them once and they sent me 4 lol. After that I used to have to email them to order it as it was pulled from the site. Cinemark switched away from Rico's to ODell's sometime within the last two years so I'm betting they don't produce it any longer.

Try using the "Better Buttery" Flavacol if you get a chance. It's pretty awesome.
post #610 of 640 Old 02-13-2016, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRiderX View Post
My cooks with my machine are pretty similar, especially letting the kettle get hot before pouring everything in.

Odell's is 99% similar to Rico's popcorn butter, though I don't know if Rico's sells theirs anymore. I ordered a gallon from them once and they sent me 4 lol. After that I used to have to email them to order it as it was pulled from the site. Cinemark switched away from Rico's to ODell's sometime within the last two years so I'm betting they don't produce it any longer.

Try using the "Better Buttery" Flavacol if you get a chance. It's pretty awesome.
Thanks for the tip!
post #611 of 640 Old 02-23-2016, 09:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I got mine from Amazon. Great Northern Roosevelt 8oz $150.
Love it !

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
post #612 of 640 Old 03-01-2016, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 23
So can anyone who bought a GN from Costco recently speak to how well it's working and/or holding up? Still leaning towards this unit as the return policy can't be beat, but I also noticed some older comments both in this thread and around the innerwebz about not popping very well and the like. The return policy is great, but also don't want to get a machine that I'm going to be frustrated with.

Remember, no matter where you go... You're not where you were anymore.
post #613 of 640 Old 03-01-2016, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moebius View Post
So can anyone who bought a GN from Costco recently speak to how well it's working and/or holding up? Still leaning towards this unit as the return policy can't be beat, but I also noticed some older comments both in this thread and around the innerwebz about not popping very well and the like. The return policy is great, but also don't want to get a machine that I'm going to be frustrated with.
I haven't had mine all that long, but I'm loving it.
I've had 2 instances where the stirrer got "jammed up" but that is probably my fault because I didn't do a real deep cleaning of the kettle until this past weekend. A few pieces of popcorn got stuck under the stirrer because the bottom was a bit crusty - no big deal I just shut the kettle off and dumped it early to avoid burning.
I'm pretty sure "not popping well" is more a function of the corn used than the popper itself - at least from what I've read.
I would say definitely go for it - with the return policy you truly can't go wrong.

-Aaron
My Basement Movie Room and Bar/Game Room - actually doing stuff now... please comment!
post #614 of 640 Old 03-01-2016, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 589 Post(s)
Liked: 130
I build commercial theatres, and it always amazes me how many times "popcorn" goes viral on the web. A hot air popper won't get you there. http://www.paragonpopcornmachines.co...en-us/d27.html
is a good choice for HT, http://www.gmpopcorn.com/ is a good choice for more than 10 people.
Do you want to mix your ingredients or get them in a package? Cutting the top off of a package will also not get you theatre quality popcorn.
You can use coconut oil with beta carotene added for that dark yellow corn appearance(Carmike and others) or you can use Naks pop oil bars for that buttery smell and taste(AMC and others). Then you have a wide selection of buttery toppings Flavacol and other salts.
Don't skimp on the corn, buy the best.
dRwOOD73 and Cryptic1911 like this.

And the payoff is never certain: Some observers contend that a generation has already been trained to be content with the small screen.
post #615 of 640 Old 03-03-2016, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Ordered the GN from Costco, should be here Monday. Now I have to go back through and read all the recipes so I can start figuring out what to get.
dRwOOD73 likes this.

post #616 of 640 Old 03-03-2016, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinemaAndy View Post
I build commercial theatres, and it always amazes me how many times "popcorn" goes viral on the web. A hot air popper won't get you there. http://www.paragonpopcornmachines.co...en-us/d27.html
is a good choice for HT, http://www.gmpopcorn.com/ is a good choice for more than 10 people.
Do you want to mix your ingredients or get them in a package? Cutting the top off of a package will also not get you theatre quality popcorn.
You can use coconut oil with beta carotene added for that dark yellow corn appearance(Carmike and others) or you can use Naks pop oil bars for that buttery smell and taste(AMC and others). Then you have a wide selection of buttery toppings Flavacol and other salts.
Don't skimp on the corn, buy the best.
Just curious, but what would you say is the best corn?

post #617 of 640 Old 03-03-2016, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Ordered the GN from Costco, should be here Monday. Now I have to go back through and read all the recipes so I can start figuring out what to get.

I've been taking the lazy way and doing the Gold Medal Mega Pop pre-measured packs and we picked up some Supur-Kist 2 that is the perfect topping.
I did pick up the orange coconut oil and Flavacol to do my own mix but I like the ease of just using the pre made packs right now.

-Aaron
post #618 of 640 Old 03-03-2016, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTAaron View Post
I've been taking the lazy way and doing the Gold Medal Mega Pop pre-measured packs and we picked up some Supur-Kist 2 that is the perfect topping.
I did pick up the orange coconut oil and Flavacol to do my own mix but I like the ease of just using the pre made packs right now.
After trying others we only use the GM pre packs.

Projector & Screen: Benq W1070 Elite Screens 100" Electric Video: Oppo 103d Audio: Denon 4520ci Speakers: Infinity RS5 (LW L C R RW) Infinity RS1 (LH RH) Infinity Beta ES250 (SL SR) Subwoofers: 2 SI18d4 Martycubes with iNuke3000dsp and 2 Infinity BU120 Shakers: 4 ADX shakers with Dayton SA230 amp

My Builds--Media console build----Martycube build----ADX Bass Shaker Install
post #619 of 640 Old 03-04-2016, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 589 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcramer View Post
Just curious, but what would you say is the best corn?
Midwest grown yellow kernel popcorn, preferably bulk. Doesn't matter what the name is. If you live in the south store it in the bag, if you live in the north store it in a plastic container. The reason for this is that good popcorn is 16-20% moisture inside the kernel. If it dries out or falls below 16%, it is nasty, most of the kernels won't pop and the ones that do will be small. My trivia note of the day, kernels that don't pop are called "old maids", hence the "old maids" tray at the bottom of the popcorn machine. No one exactly knows where that term came from, but is widely used in the industry. Also, "duds," "flopcorn," "old bachelors," "pooped corn" and "widows" are used for half poped kernels.

And the payoff is never certain: Some observers contend that a generation has already been trained to be content with the small screen.
post #620 of 640 Old 03-04-2016, 09:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinemaAndy View Post
Midwest grown yellow kernel popcorn, preferably bulk. Doesn't matter what the name is. If you live in the south store it in the bag, if you live in the north store it in a plastic container. The reason for this is that good popcorn is 16-20% moisture inside the kernel. If it dries out or falls below 16%, it is nasty, most of the kernels won't pop and the ones that do will be small. My trivia note of the day, kernels that don't pop are called "old maids", hence the "old maids" tray at the bottom of the popcorn machine. No one exactly knows where that term came from, but is widely used in the industry. Also, "duds," "flopcorn," "old bachelors," "pooped corn" and "widows" are used for half poped kernels.
I live in southern WI so we have plenty of midwest corn here! I've purchased Amish popcorn and had good luck so maybe I'll just stick with that.

Thanks for the advice.

post #621 of 640 Old 03-08-2016, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

My machine arrived last night, unfortunately sans axel for the cart, but otherwise looking good. Contacted GN and they're supposed to be shipping an axel out to me, hopefully quickly. For now, it's sitting on the counter and ready for the test run after work.
gingus likes this.

post #622 of 640 Old 03-08-2016, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
My machine arrived last night, unfortunately sans axel for the cart, but otherwise looking good. Contacted GN and they're supposed to be shipping an axel out to me, hopefully quickly. For now, it's sitting on the counter and ready for the test run after work.
Awesome! You're gonna love it!

-Aaron
post #623 of 640 Old 03-08-2016, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Innaugural batch popped. Picked up a box of 4oz GM packs to hold over until I get the theater built and while I work on a recipe. Even for a first batch, pretty darn tasty, and very glad I got the 4 oz packs. My wife and I barely finished half of it. Solid pop ratio too. Think maybe 10 unpopped total.

As far as the machine goes, seems well built. Takes a little practice getting the kettle in to place. Heated quickly (faster than I expected actually). I think I only have 2 minor gripes. The glass door has enough gap at the top that the occasional piece can fly out while popping. And it'd be cool if they made the iettle top assembly with an easy remove mechanism. Be so much easier to clean if you could pop the top off.

Now I jst have to build a theater to go around it.
PTAaron and dRwOOD73 like this.

post #624 of 640 Old 03-08-2016, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Innaugural batch popped. Picked up a box of 4oz GM packs to hold over until I get the theater built and while I work on a recipe. Even for a first batch, pretty darn tasty, and very glad I got the 4 oz packs. My wife and I barely finished half of it. Solid pop ratio too. Think maybe 10 unpopped total.

As far as the machine goes, seems well built. Takes a little practice getting the kettle in to place. Heated quickly (faster than I expected actually). I think I only have 2 minor gripes. The glass door has enough gap at the top that the occasional piece can fly out while popping. And it'd be cool if they made the iettle top assembly with an easy remove mechanism. Be so much easier to clean if you could pop the top off.

Now I jst have to build a theater to go around it.

When I do a deep clean I unscrew the lid and handle.

Projector & Screen: Benq W1070 Elite Screens 100" Electric Video: Oppo 103d Audio: Denon 4520ci Speakers: Infinity RS5 (LW L C R RW) Infinity RS1 (LH RH) Infinity Beta ES250 (SL SR) Subwoofers: 2 SI18d4 Martycubes with iNuke3000dsp and 2 Infinity BU120 Shakers: 4 ADX shakers with Dayton SA230 amp

My Builds--Media console build----Martycube build----ADX Bass Shaker Install
post #625 of 640 Old 03-09-2016, 07:45 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Paragon on sale on jet for $267

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
dRwOOD73 likes this.
post #626 of 640 Old 03-31-2016, 03:13 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hear! Hear!....For all 'us' Whirley Pop fans. Less fuss (specially the cleanup) With just a swish of a paper-towel, your good . Popcorn machines 'do' add a touch of class. Maybe someday, but for now, the ole stove top popcorn poppers do just fine. Oh yea....'only' Amish popcorn & coconut will do for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0006 - Copy (800x532).jpg
Views:	48
Size:	237.6 KB
ID:	1350026   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0001 - Copy (800x532).jpg
Views:	48
Size:	194.5 KB
ID:	1350034   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2395 (800x563) - Copy.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	223.2 KB
ID:	1350042  
dRwOOD73 likes this.

Last edited by flyingdog; 03-31-2016 at 03:28 AM.
post #627 of 640 Old 03-31-2016, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

I have to admit, I was a bit wary of the potential cleanup of the popcorn machine at first, but it only took about two times to get a rhythm down. All said, maybe 5 minutes at the end of the night and it's good to go. Granted, still not the 30 seconds of wiping out a Whirlypop, but not the major headache I feared.

post #628 of 640 Old 04-01-2016, 04:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 204
I have a benchmark machine (which was a gift) and the keddle shorted. I replaced it with a paragon keddle which was cheaper and far better made.

I hope more parts of my Benchmark machine fail so I can slowly upgrade it to futher paragon-ness.

post #629 of 640 Old 04-01-2016, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdog View Post
Hear! Hear!....For all 'us' Whirley Pop fans. Less fuss (specially the cleanup) With just a swish of a paper-towel, your good . Popcorn machines 'do' add a touch of class. Maybe someday, but for now, the ole stove top popcorn poppers do just fine. Oh yea....'only' Amish popcorn & coconut will do for me.
Where do you get the Amish corn. I always use the Costco Orville reddenbacher.

post #630 of 640 Old 04-01-2016, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingus View Post
Where do you get the Amish corn. I always use the Costco Orville reddenbacher.

I picked up some from Bed Bath and Beyond, but I haven't used it yet.

-Aaron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

taboola here
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page