Popcorn machine recommendations - Page 25 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 100Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #721 of 793 Old 01-07-2017, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member
 
gingus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 518
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Miller View Post
Ok maybe this is a dumb question but I am replacing my junky paramount machine with a GM or other nicer machine.

I have a case of 4 oz prepackaged popcorn/oil/salt packs that I'll be using but I was thinking of getting an 8oz machine since I often have people over and we eat a lot of popcorn.

Is it safe to assume that I can use 4oz packs in an 8oz machine?




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Us you can use the 4oz in the machine.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
gingus is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #722 of 793 Old 01-07-2017, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PTAaron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 2,148
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Miller View Post
Ok maybe this is a dumb question but I am replacing my junky paramount machine with a GM or other nicer machine.

I have a case of 4 oz prepackaged popcorn/oil/salt packs that I'll be using but I was thinking of getting an 8oz machine since I often have people over and we eat a lot of popcorn.

Is it safe to assume that I can use 4oz packs in an 8oz machine?




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes it is. You can always go smaller with the amount you put in.

-Aaron
English Way Cinema and Bar - moving on to v3.0... projector time in 2017!
PTAaron is offline  
post #723 of 793 Old 01-07-2017, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PTAaron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 2,148
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickened1 View Post
Looking to pick up a proper popper now that my theater is done. Sick of microwave popcorn for proper movie viewing pleasure.

There seem like a few options in my willing to spend on popcorn budget that I could use some suggestions on. I'll be using the pre measured pouches with the corn/oil/flavoring to make life simple.

https://www.amazon.com/Great-Norther...opcorn+machine

https://www.amazon.com/Popcorn-Maker...89%3AParamount

https://www.amazon.com/Paramount-6oz...Paramount&th=1

What's gonna be the best for my budget? Probably be used 1-2 times per week for usually just 2 of us. A few months from now it will need to be able for about 6 adults once a week for 2 months (Game of thrones)
The first one is a slightly smaller version of the one I have (http://www.costco.com/Great-Northern...100107720.html) - I'm very pleased with mine, but I can't say for sure how the slightly smaller version would be. The 8oz kettle is a big plus, and the glass windows are really nice for easy cleaning.

Looking at the second one, I wouldn't go with that one if it were me and I had plans to use it as often as you're describing. The acrylic doors are a little bit more of a pain to clean (speaking from experience), and reading the description it sounds like it is pretty small when they say an 8oz batch will fill it to capacity. With your plans to have 6 adults over you'll probably need more than that. When I have 6 people over I do a double batch and we almost finish it off completely. Also doesn't look like it has a warming deck, which is nice to have if you're letting popcorn sit in the popper during a movie for refills. Also the kettle is not stainless steel - I don't know how durable the ceramic coated kettle is, but my personal bias would be toward stainless steel.

Third one looks like an option - I like the double doors and the separate switch for the deck and light. The LED colored lights look like fun too. I personally prefer my 8oz kettle, but if it has the capacity to store multiple 6oz batches you should be fine.

Let us know which one you go with!

-Aaron
English Way Cinema and Bar - moving on to v3.0... projector time in 2017!
PTAaron is offline  
 
post #724 of 793 Old 01-09-2017, 08:31 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTAaron View Post
The first one is a slightly smaller version of the one I have (http://www.costco.com/Great-Northern...100107720.html) - I'm very pleased with mine, but I can't say for sure how the slightly smaller version would be. The 8oz kettle is a big plus, and the glass windows are really nice for easy cleaning.

Looking at the second one, I wouldn't go with that one if it were me and I had plans to use it as often as you're describing. The acrylic doors are a little bit more of a pain to clean (speaking from experience), and reading the description it sounds like it is pretty small when they say an 8oz batch will fill it to capacity. With your plans to have 6 adults over you'll probably need more than that. When I have 6 people over I do a double batch and we almost finish it off completely. Also doesn't look like it has a warming deck, which is nice to have if you're letting popcorn sit in the popper during a movie for refills. Also the kettle is not stainless steel - I don't know how durable the ceramic coated kettle is, but my personal bias would be toward stainless steel.

Third one looks like an option - I like the double doors and the separate switch for the deck and light. The LED colored lights look like fun too. I personally prefer my 8oz kettle, but if it has the capacity to store multiple 6oz batches you should be fine.

Let us know which one you go with!
That's too bad about the second one, it's only $60 on amazon right now. I'll probably go with the 3rd one pretty soon. Waiting on cleaning up some projects first before I do it.
Sickened1 is offline  
post #725 of 793 Old 01-09-2017, 03:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Moebius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Memphis area
Posts: 1,425
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Miller View Post
Ok maybe this is a dumb question but I am replacing my junky paramount machine with a GM or other nicer machine.

I have a case of 4 oz prepackaged popcorn/oil/salt packs that I'll be using but I was thinking of getting an 8oz machine since I often have people over and we eat a lot of popcorn.

Is it safe to assume that I can use 4oz packs in an 8oz machine?




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've been using 4oz packs in my 8oz machine the whole time. If anything, I think it works a bit better (scroll up for my fun when I decided to go with a full 8oz pop).

Remember, no matter where you go... You're not where you were anymore.
Moebius is offline  
post #726 of 793 Old 01-16-2017, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Moebius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Memphis area
Posts: 1,425
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 88
In lieu of starting a new thread on the topic. Has anyone played around with any of the hot dog roller setups? I really don't need a big commercial one, but wondering if any of those cheapie Nostalgia models actually work. If I can stick 4 hot dogs on a roller and have good theater style dogs in 20 minutes or so, that'd be good enough.

Remember, no matter where you go... You're not where you were anymore.
Moebius is offline  
post #727 of 793 Old 01-24-2017, 09:04 AM
Senior Member
 
Nate Miller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 228
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 16
hey everyone - I've narrowed it down to 4 machines. The first two are very similar.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00550GDCY..._t2_B006BCK91G

https://www.amazon.com/Great-Norther...opcorn+machine

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/para...0w/380TP8.html

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/carn.../382PM30R.html

The 3rd one is pretty expensive but I'm curious if its worth the extra money.

I'm also wondering if anyone has experience with the Carnival King brand at all.


Thanks!
Nate Miller is offline  
post #728 of 793 Old 01-24-2017, 10:14 AM
Member
 
stollen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Miller View Post
hey everyone - I've narrowed it down to 4 machines. The first two are very similar.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00550GDCY..._t2_B006BCK91G

https://www.amazon.com/Great-Norther...opcorn+machine

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/para...0w/380TP8.html

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/carn.../382PM30R.html

The 3rd one is pretty expensive but I'm curious if its worth the extra money.

I'm also wondering if anyone has experience with the Carnival King brand at all.


Thanks!
I have a Theater Pop 6 (slightly smaller version of the one in your 3rd link) and really like it. It is built well, is easy to clean and works perfectly. Admittedly the big reason I got it versus others is because it is built in a town about 30 minutes away from me. Made me feel good to be buying something made locally along with it being a high quality machine.
stollen is offline  
post #729 of 793 Old 01-24-2017, 10:42 AM
Senior Member
 
hv9200's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: NH
Posts: 330
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I have a great northern, not the model you list here but similar in design. I struggled with the purchase and read endless reviews. It was a tossup for me to purchase the N or a top of the line paragon or commercial unit...admittedly the fit and finish on the upper end machines are better but considering its use (1-2 times per week) the need for a commercial unit did not seem worth cost...I have had the GN for about 2 years now and would recommend it to anyone looking for a machine for occasional use...if you are going to be lending this thing out or selling popcorn at events then get the commercial.

good luck...all fine units here.

"although he walks among us, he is not one of us"
hv9200 is offline  
post #730 of 793 Old 01-26-2017, 09:29 AM
Member
 
TechPrep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Castle Rock, CO
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I bought a Paragon PS-8 Professional Series Popper and started using it about 4-5 months ago:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's pretty similar to the 3'rd one on your list and is made by the same company.

I use it multiple times a week (I *LOVE* popcorn) and it has performed flawlessly every time. I've popped at least 2-3 batches a week since buying it and completing the theater (alternating or mixing the Pop Weaver and Country Harvest 10.6 oz pre-packs for 8-oz machines). This has been a fantastic investment and I'm glad I went with it. The machine is really solid, nothing feels like it's going to break off and it's really easy to clean.

I wouldn't hesitate for an instant to recommend this popper to anyone.
PTAaron likes this.
TechPrep is offline  
post #731 of 793 Old 01-31-2017, 07:26 AM
Senior Member
 
Nate Miller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 228
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 16
hey guys - I ended up actually going with a Paragon Thrify Pop. Funny thing it wasn't even on my list above.

I also found some smaller popcorn packs on Amazon and tried those in my Paramount 6oz machine and it made all the difference.

I was using 6oz packs before but the kettle wasn't popping half of the pack but I tried the 4oz packs last night and it worked great - almost NO old maids at all.

That being said, now I have two popcorn machines that appear to be working fine. I'll probably end up taking the Paramount to work and using it there. I'll keep the bigger one at home.

Either way, thanks for all the advice guys!
PTAaron likes this.
Nate Miller is offline  
post #732 of 793 Old 01-31-2017, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Moebius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Memphis area
Posts: 1,425
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 88
I just wish someone would design a kettle where the top assembly snaps off rather than screw/bolts. Even with an 8oz kettle, for ogre sized people with large hands, it's hard to get in and do a good job wiping everything out. Make it a locking closure style and cleanup with be soooo much easier.

Remember, no matter where you go... You're not where you were anymore.
Moebius is offline  
post #733 of 793 Old 01-31-2017, 06:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bluer101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,845
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moebius View Post
I just wish someone would design a kettle where the top assembly snaps off rather than screw/bolts. Even with an 8oz kettle, for ogre sized people with large hands, it's hard to get in and do a good job wiping everything out. Make it a locking closure style and cleanup with be soooo much easier.
I end up a few times a year removing the screws and doing a full clean. But it's a pain with the seal in between.

Projector & Screen: Epson 5040ub Elite Screens 100" Electric Video: Oppo 103d Audio: Denon 4520ci Speakers: Infinity RS5 (LW L C R RW) Infinity RS1 (LH RH) Infinity Beta ES250 (SL SR) Subwoofers: 2 SI18d4 Martycubes with iNuke3000dsp and 2 Infinity BU120 Shakers: 4 ADX shakers with Dayton SA230 amp

My Builds--Media console build----Martycube build----ADX Bass Shaker Install
bluer101 is offline  
post #734 of 793 Old 02-01-2017, 10:35 AM
Senior Member
 
casino187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I thought I would post a few photos and video of my new Paragon Cineplex 4 popcorn maker in copper, with the stand. I've only used it once so far. Can someone please tell me how to rotate a photo I Uploaded on here? I can not figure it out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8155.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	1936601  
crunchyfrogs likes this.

Yamaha RX-A3060, Emotiva XPA-3, 120" SI Black Diamond Zero Edge 1.4 Gain, Epson 6040UB Projector, 2 x Bowers and Wilkins 683 S2 - Fronts, Bowers and Wilkins HTM61 S2 Center,
4 x Bowers and Wilkins CWM664 In wall Surrounds,4 x RSL C34 In ceiling speakers for Atmos, 2 x SVS SB16-Ultra Subs, Seating: 4 x Seatcraft Sonoma Recliners
My terribly shot media room
casino187 is offline  
post #735 of 793 Old 02-02-2017, 05:58 PM
Member
 
Thundersnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by casino187 View Post
I thought I would post a few photos and video of my new Paragon Cineplex 4 popcorn maker in copper, with the stand. I've only used it once so far. Can someone please tell me how to rotate a photo I Uploaded on here? I can not figure it out.
https://youtu.be/15B8wOvgWmM


I like your machine. I will be in the market real soon. I have the theater done, still working on the snack counter.
When looking at descriptions of the Paragons online one of the options is "reversed", does that mean with the door on the front like yours?

Last edited by Thundersnow; 02-02-2017 at 06:05 PM.
Thundersnow is offline  
post #736 of 793 Old 02-02-2017, 06:21 PM
Member
 
Thundersnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Curious as to what is the butter used in movie theaters? The theater I like to visit has a butter/oil (whatever it is) dispenser where you can add your own.


Is this something that can be bought from the popcorn supply dealers? I must have it with my future popcorn machine.
Thundersnow is offline  
post #737 of 793 Old 02-02-2017, 09:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PTAaron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 2,148
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundersnow View Post
Curious as to what is the butter used in movie theaters? The theater I like to visit has a butter/oil (whatever it is) dispenser where you can add your own.


Is this something that can be bought from the popcorn supply dealers? I must have it with my future popcorn machine.
From my research I found that Supur-Kist II seems to be one of the top recommendations.
https://www.amazon.com/ODells-Popcor.../dp/B002YLINLG

Tastes about perfect to me on top of popcorn from Gold Medal Mega Pop packages. I understand that you shouldn't microwave it though... I use a coffee cup warmer to heat mine up - I actually put a cup of water on top of the warmer and a bottle of the Supur-Kist II in the water.

-Aaron
English Way Cinema and Bar - moving on to v3.0... projector time in 2017!
PTAaron is offline  
post #738 of 793 Old 02-03-2017, 06:55 AM
Senior Member
 
casino187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundersnow View Post
I like your machine. I will be in the market real soon. I have the theater done, still working on the snack counter.
When looking at descriptions of the Paragons online one of the options is "reversed", does that mean with the door on the front like yours?
I bought the machine on amazon and the matching stand on tundra restaurant supply. they had by far the cheapest price and I used a new customer $15 coupon they have. Both places shipped fast. Although this machine has been kicking the breaker so I need to figure that out. It pulls close to 10 amps.

Yamaha RX-A3060, Emotiva XPA-3, 120" SI Black Diamond Zero Edge 1.4 Gain, Epson 6040UB Projector, 2 x Bowers and Wilkins 683 S2 - Fronts, Bowers and Wilkins HTM61 S2 Center,
4 x Bowers and Wilkins CWM664 In wall Surrounds,4 x RSL C34 In ceiling speakers for Atmos, 2 x SVS SB16-Ultra Subs, Seating: 4 x Seatcraft Sonoma Recliners
My terribly shot media room
casino187 is offline  
post #739 of 793 Old 02-05-2017, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
T-Bone's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 1,738
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by casino187 View Post
I thought I would post a few photos and video of my new Paragon Cineplex 4 popcorn maker in copper, with the stand. I've only used it once so far. Can someone please tell me how to rotate a photo I Uploaded on here? I can not figure it out.
https://youtu.be/15B8wOvgWmM
Nice video. Thanks. Have to you cooked 2 batches of 4 oz one right after the other? Asking because I am torn between a GNP 8 oz, or a Paragon 4 oz like in your video. I would not mind saving some money by going with a Paragon 4 oz if the popcorn bay can hold 2 full batches. That model dimensions are 18"W x 18"D x 24"H. Based on the looks of your video, it looks like it will hold 3 4-oz batches.

TIA...

-T

EDIT
Oops. Wrong dimensions. It is listed as approx. 14 x 16.

Last edited by T-Bone; 02-09-2017 at 01:17 PM.
T-Bone is offline  
post #740 of 793 Old 02-06-2017, 09:27 AM
Senior Member
 
casino187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
Nice video. Thanks. Have to you cooked 2 batches of 4 oz one right after the other? Asking because I am torn between a GNP 8 oz, or a Paragon 4 oz like in your video. I would not mind saving some money by going with a Paragon 4 oz if the popcorn bay can hold 2 full batches. That model dimensions are 18"W x 18"D x 24"H. Based on the looks of your video, it looks like it will hold 3 4-oz batches.

TIA...

-T
I've only cooked one batch but it would definitely hold a lot more. there is plenty of room. I would say 3 batches would fit easily.

Yamaha RX-A3060, Emotiva XPA-3, 120" SI Black Diamond Zero Edge 1.4 Gain, Epson 6040UB Projector, 2 x Bowers and Wilkins 683 S2 - Fronts, Bowers and Wilkins HTM61 S2 Center,
4 x Bowers and Wilkins CWM664 In wall Surrounds,4 x RSL C34 In ceiling speakers for Atmos, 2 x SVS SB16-Ultra Subs, Seating: 4 x Seatcraft Sonoma Recliners
My terribly shot media room
casino187 is offline  
post #741 of 793 Old 02-07-2017, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
T-Bone's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 1,738
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 61
This was a good thread. After agonizing over which popcorn machine, i discussed with my wife. Her opinion? Spend more to get better quality. I am okay with that

Settled on the 4 oz Paragon Cineplex in red with matching wheeled cart. The case is pretty roomy. Seems very similar to the TP-4... Except the Cineplex seems to be designed for placement up against a wall since the buttons are hidden, and decals are on the door.

Lifetime warranty for residential use. Twice the price of the largest 8 oz GNP, but i think its worth the extra dough.

Waiting to see if there will be a sale for Presidents Day on the 20th... But will order that weekend even if not a sale.

-T

EDIT: Just realized that the Cineplex 4 oz is not available with Cart... per the site. Guess I have to look at the TP-4.

Last edited by T-Bone; 02-07-2017 at 06:44 PM.
T-Bone is offline  
post #742 of 793 Old 02-07-2017, 10:05 AM
Member
 
Thundersnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Wondering if the decals on the Paragon machines are removable?
I kinda like the yellow machine however, i don't like the POPCORN decal that comes on that one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cineplex-yellow-popcorn-machine.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	1950305  
Thundersnow is offline  
post #743 of 793 Old 02-08-2017, 04:54 PM
Senior Member
 
Nate Miller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 228
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I've run several batches of the 6oz Great Northern Popcorn packs in the thrift pop and it does an excellent job.

My only beef is the thrifty pop doesn't have an old maid collector at the bottom. Not a major issue since it only leaves about 5 or 6 per batch.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nate Miller is offline  
post #744 of 793 Old 02-10-2017, 02:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pcdoctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 3,555
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moebius View Post
In lieu of starting a new thread on the topic. Has anyone played around with any of the hot dog roller setups? I really don't need a big commercial one, but wondering if any of those cheapie Nostalgia models actually work. If I can stick 4 hot dogs on a roller and have good theater style dogs in 20 minutes or so, that'd be good enough.
I would stay way from the Nostalgia products. I bought two of their equipment for HT decoration. (mini popper and hot dog broiler).
I was kinda afraid something would happen to the hot dog machine since it's hard plastic on the outside. Rather I would not walk away from the Nostalgia hot dog broiler while it was being used. I ended up using it for HT decoration.

I have a Nemco commercial roller but it's for 10 hot dogs only. I've had no problems with it. There are some on the website below for $250 or less but I have never used Grand Slam or Avantco products.

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/sear...og-roller.html

Last edited by pcdoctor; 02-10-2017 at 02:45 AM.
pcdoctor is offline  
post #745 of 793 Old 02-10-2017, 07:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Moebius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Memphis area
Posts: 1,425
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcdoctor View Post
I would stay way from the Nostalgia products. I bought two of their equipment for HT decoration. (mini popper and hot dog broiler).
I was kinda afraid something would happen to the hot dog machine since it's hard plastic on the outside. Rather I would not walk away from the Nostalgia hot dog broiler while it was being used. I ended up using it for HT decoration.

I have a Nemco commercial roller but it's for 10 hot dogs only. I've had no problems with it. There are some on the website below for $250 or less but I have never used Grand Slam or Avantco products.

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/sear...og-roller.html
As it turned out, I had some leftover Amazon gift card credit (from a thing with work) and ended up snagging one of the Nostalgias for now figuring at the price (zero for all purposes intended) it was pretty much disposable. So far, works ok. Cooks the dogs up in about 15-20 minutes and I can turn it down to low and it seems to do ok keeping them warm. Agree with the whole cheap plastic stuff and all, but I'd never be using that one if I wasn't in the theater anyway, so I can keep an eye on it. I did see a commerical style unit from Great Northern for around $110, but for the limited use I've got planned, the little one works great.
PTAaron likes this.

Remember, no matter where you go... You're not where you were anymore.
Moebius is offline  
post #746 of 793 Old 02-10-2017, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
T-Bone's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 1,738
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Whew... agonizing, but took the plunge. Just ordered a Paragon Theater Pop 6 oz, and red medium cart. Price was right and not too much more than the Paragon 4 oz machines/carts.

Funny how this started for us...
1. Hey, let's get a popcorn machine. Don't want to spend too much though
2. Looks like $209 was a good price point based on initial research
3. Shopped some more, and $300 was the new price point. Was all set on a GNP 8 oz Lincoln Popper
4. Well, if we are gonna spend $300, we should consider paying more if there is a good chance of getting better quality
5. Okay, Paragon is the one we want based on all our research... 4 oz is an ideal pricepoint/valuepoint. Love the 1911 Antique and cart
6. Oh know, how could I miss that... 1911 4 oz has no warming deck
7. Cineplex looks nice. In part, based ion this thread. All set on that... along with a red cart. Crap... does not have the cart option even though the small carts on most sites state "for 4 oz poppers"
8. ...time elapses...
9. Narrowed it down to either the Contempo 4 oz and cart, or Theater Pop oz and cart
10. Well, 6 oz really is not that much more...

And there you have it.

-T
PTAaron, GeorgeT93 and dRwOOD73 like this.
T-Bone is offline  
post #747 of 793 Old 03-04-2017, 10:56 AM
Newbie
 
GeorgeT93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
Whew... agonizing, but took the plunge. Just ordered a Paragon Theater Pop 6 oz, and red medium cart. Price was right and not too much more than the Paragon 4 oz machines/carts.

Funny how this started for us...
1. Hey, let's get a popcorn machine. Don't want to spend too much though
2. Looks like $209 was a good price point based on initial research
3. Shopped some more, and $300 was the new price point. Was all set on a GNP 8 oz Lincoln Popper
4. Well, if we are gonna spend $300, we should consider paying more if there is a good chance of getting better quality
5. Okay, Paragon is the one we want based on all our research... 4 oz is an ideal pricepoint/valuepoint. Love the 1911 Antique and cart
6. Oh know, how could I miss that... 1911 4 oz has no warming deck
7. Cineplex looks nice. In part, based ion this thread. All set on that... along with a red cart. Crap... does not have the cart option even though the small carts on most sites state "for 4 oz poppers"
8. ...time elapses...
9. Narrowed it down to either the Contempo 4 oz and cart, or Theater Pop oz and cart
10. Well, 6 oz really is not that much more...

And there you have it.

-T
This sounds almost exactly how it went down in my house! Wife agreed to let me get a popcorn machine now that our tax refund was in, but didn't want to spend too much. We almost bought a great northern at $209, but after much research, I decided (and she agreed) that we should buy something with better quality, so instead we wound up ordering the Paragon Cineplex 4oz (got it for $253 shipped/no tax) from Overstock with a 12% coupon code I found online, and it should be here this week. I didn't buy the stand (at the time) as the two combined were more than my budget would allow for. But I did luck out in getting the stand today, used-like new condition, from Amazon Warehouse Deals for just under $69, and the description says that there are no dents, dings, or scratches and that it ships in its original box (so was probably a return, I'm guessing). So my supplies, popper and stand should all be here this week (leaving me drooling for fresh popcorn until it all arrives and gets set up!)

Thanks to everyone in this thread, it was extremely helpful to me as I was shopping around to determine which popcorn machine would best suit our needs.
GeorgeT93 is offline  
post #748 of 793 Old 03-04-2017, 11:22 AM
Senior Member
 
casino187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeT93 View Post
This sounds almost exactly how it went down in my house! Wife agreed to let me get a popcorn machine now that our tax refund was in, but didn't want to spend too much. We almost bought a great northern at $209, but after much research, I decided (and she agreed) that we should buy something with better quality, so instead we wound up ordering the Paragon Cineplex 4oz (got it for $253 shipped/no tax) from Overstock with a 12% coupon code I found online, and it should be here this week. I didn't buy the stand (at the time) as the two combined were more than my budget would allow for. But I did luck out in getting the stand today, used-like new condition, from Amazon Warehouse Deals for just under $69, and the description says that there are no dents, dings, or scratches and that it ships in its original box (so was probably a return, I'm guessing). So my supplies, popper and stand should all be here this week (leaving me drooling for fresh popcorn until it all arrives and gets set up!)

Thanks to everyone in this thread, it was extremely helpful to me as I was shopping around to determine which popcorn machine would best suit our needs.
I ordered my paragon cineplex 4oz from amazon warehouse deals and they sent me a different model and color. so I had to return it. Just make sure you get what you ordered from them. this happens a lot, but I order a ton of stuff from AMZ warehouse deals.

Yamaha RX-A3060, Emotiva XPA-3, 120" SI Black Diamond Zero Edge 1.4 Gain, Epson 6040UB Projector, 2 x Bowers and Wilkins 683 S2 - Fronts, Bowers and Wilkins HTM61 S2 Center,
4 x Bowers and Wilkins CWM664 In wall Surrounds,4 x RSL C34 In ceiling speakers for Atmos, 2 x SVS SB16-Ultra Subs, Seating: 4 x Seatcraft Sonoma Recliners
My terribly shot media room
casino187 is offline  
post #749 of 793 Old 03-04-2017, 12:17 PM
Newbie
 
GeorgeT93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by casino187 View Post
I ordered my paragon cineplex 4oz from amazon warehouse deals and they sent me a different model and color. so I had to return it. Just make sure you get what you ordered from them. this happens a lot, but I order a ton of stuff from AMZ warehouse deals.
I figured for under $70, it was a risk worth taking for the stand. But it is listed as the red one for the 4 ounce cineplex, so if, for any reason, it doesn't match the description, then it will have to go back, as I bought the machine from Overstock, and that's supposed to be the red one. So I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that it is the item described, and that it is also in the "like new" condition advertised.
GeorgeT93 is offline  
post #750 of 793 Old 03-04-2017, 05:12 PM
Senior Member
 
casino187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Also on my 4 oz cineplex, I get a lot of unpopped kernels. I see them all fly out of the top during the beginning of the popping process. Is this because I'm using too many or what? I have a lot.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yamaha RX-A3060, Emotiva XPA-3, 120" SI Black Diamond Zero Edge 1.4 Gain, Epson 6040UB Projector, 2 x Bowers and Wilkins 683 S2 - Fronts, Bowers and Wilkins HTM61 S2 Center,
4 x Bowers and Wilkins CWM664 In wall Surrounds,4 x RSL C34 In ceiling speakers for Atmos, 2 x SVS SB16-Ultra Subs, Seating: 4 x Seatcraft Sonoma Recliners
My terribly shot media room
casino187 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off