Popcorn machine recommendations - Page 27 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 100Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #781 of 793 Old 05-25-2017, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PTAaron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 2,173
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post
how do you guys keep your theaters clean? I routinely find popcorn all over the place after movie night.
Vacuum and mocking of people that spill popcorn until they clean up after themselves
Moebius and tlogan6797 like this.

-Aaron
English Way Cinema and Bar - moving on to v3.0... projector time in 2017!
PTAaron is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #782 of 793 Old 05-26-2017, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Moebius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Memphis area
Posts: 1,465
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Pretty much what Aaron said. That, and 90% of the time it's just the wife and I, so less messy.

Remember, no matter where you go... You're not where you were anymore.
Moebius is offline  
post #783 of 793 Old 05-26-2017, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member
 
gingus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 520
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Same here. Have to get after the kids. Someone popcorn everywhere. Sometime I'm the biggest culprit.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
gingus is offline  
 
post #784 of 793 Old 07-20-2017, 07:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ay221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,414
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
With Paragon models, is the cart better than the stand? I think I might prefer the stand, but if the cart is more stable, I might go that way. It will be on carpet.
ay221 is offline  
post #785 of 793 Old 07-21-2017, 03:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
T-Bone's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 1,739
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by ay221 View Post
With Paragon models, is the cart better than the stand? I think I might prefer the stand, but if the cart is more stable, I might go that way. It will be on carpet.
Glad I went with the cart. I used to popcorn in my game room where the projector was. But then I upgraded projectors and now have to wheel the cart into an adjacent room and pop it there. Then I have to push the cart back into the game room. All to keep the oil out of the Optics of the projector.

-T
ay221 likes this.
T-Bone is offline  
post #786 of 793 Old 07-22-2017, 10:32 AM
Member
 
djmatl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ay221 View Post
With Paragon models, is the cart better than the stand? I think I might prefer the stand, but if the cart is more stable, I might go that way. It will be on carpet.
I have the stand and it is extremely solid and stable. It takes up less room than the cart and gives you more storage in the stand. I have my cotton candy machine on a cart and that's great for having to move it around (since I only use that outside because of its mess), but for a stationary popcorn machine I'd go stand unless you just like the look of cart more or need to move it.
ay221 likes this.
djmatl is offline  
post #787 of 793 Old 07-22-2017, 04:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ay221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,414
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I went with the cart. Just in case I might need to move it for any reason. If I get tired of the look, I can always buy the stand later.
ay221 is offline  
post #788 of 793 Old 07-29-2017, 08:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ay221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,414
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I found out the popcorn vapors are kind of strong. Two things I did, the seasoning, I put on after the popcorn is popped. The second thing is I roll it to the next room (which is empty), open the window and set a fan on exhaust. This helps a lot, and then I can roll it back afterwards to keep the theater look.
ay221 is offline  
post #789 of 793 Old 08-02-2017, 05:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ay221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,414
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
After I Swing down the kettle a couple of times, there is still a little bit of popcorn left. So if you make multiple batches, you can have some burned pieces mixed in.

Do any of you have that problem? If so, how are you clear out the last bits of popcorn from the hot kettle?
ay221 is offline  
post #790 of 793 Old 08-02-2017, 07:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tcramer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 1,156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by ay221 View Post
After I Swing down the kettle a couple of times, there is still a little bit of popcorn left. So if you make multiple batches, you can have some burned pieces mixed in.

Do any of you have that problem? If so, how are you clear out the last bits of popcorn from the hot kettle?
I always give the kettle a wipe out between batches for that very reason and to get any remaining oil residue. I have a roll of Scott's shop towels I keep for just this purpose...they work great to get out all the pieces and are thick enough so I don't burn my hand.
ay221 and PTAaron like this.


JVC DLA-RS600, 110" Stewart Cima Neve, Oppo UDP-203, TiVo Bolt, Denon X4300H
Dual Rythmik FV15HP, Energy Veritas Fronts and Surrounds, 4x RSL C34E for Atmos
tcramer is offline  
post #791 of 793 Old 09-13-2017, 06:15 AM
Member
 
GlocksRock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: NC
Posts: 153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After much deliberation and waffling back and forth over and over about which machine or brand to go with, I have finally decided on a Gold Medal Fun Pop 2404. I actually got very lucky and found a brand new in box unit on eBay for $200 with local pickup only, so it worked out very well for me. I was really kind of wanting a machine with at least a 6 oz. kettle, preferably 8 oz. but I also wanted a commercial quality machine that didn't break the bank, especially after reading about how so many people with Great Northern machines have had rust issues, or kettles burning out after a short time. After popping my first batch with the fun pop I think the 4 oz. kettle size will be just fine since it will be just the wife and I the majority of the time, and it will be quick and easy to pop subsequent batches as needed for when guests come over.

I never thought I would have put so much research into buying a popcorn machine, but I wanted to be sure to get the right machine. I would highly recommend Gold Medal machines, even if you have to save up to get one, the quality is top notch... popcorn machines as with many things in life, you get what you pay for.

The machine came with a small plastic popcorn scoop and some small plastic measuring scoops which should work well for when I use bulk popcorn supplies. I was a bit surprised that they recommend a half tablespoon of flavacol with 1 oz. of oil and 4 oz. of popcorn kernels, that seems to be an awful lot of salt/flavacol. I used just under a 1/4 tablespoon and it was plenty for the 4 oz. of popcorn. I'll try to find out how much salt, kernels and oil are in the 4 oz. fun pop pre measured packets if I have the time to mess with it later.

So what accessories should I look at for my new machine? I don't think I'll get a cart for it right away, but I was going to get a speed scoop and some kettle cleaner, maybe some bags to use when I have guests over, anything else?

Last edited by GlocksRock; 09-13-2017 at 01:06 PM.
GlocksRock is offline  
post #792 of 793 Old 09-13-2017, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member
 
gingus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 520
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlocksRock View Post
After much deliberation and waffling back and forth over and over about which machine or brand to go with, I have finally decided on a Gold Medal Fun Pop 2404. I actually got very lucky and found a brand new in box unit on eBay for $200 with local pickup only, so it worked out very well for me. I was really kind of wanting a machine with at least a 6 oz. kettle, preferably 8 oz. but I also wanted a commercial quality machine that didn't break the bank, especially after reading about how so many people with Great Northern machines have had rust issues, or kettles burning out after a short time. After popping my first batch with the fun pop I think the 4 oz. kettle size will be just fine since it will be just the wife and I the majority of the time, and it will be quick and easy to pop subsequent batches as needed for when guests come over.

I never thought I would have put so much research into buying a popcorn machine, but I wanted to be sure to get the right machine. I would highly recommend Gold Medal machines, even if you have to save up to get one, the quality is top notch... popcorn machines as with many things in life, you get what you pay for.

The machine came with a small plastic popcorn scoop and some small plastic measuring scoops which should work well for when I use bulk popcorn supplies. I was a bit surprised that they recommend a half teaspoon of flavacol with 1 oz. of oil and 4 oz. of popcorn kernels, that seems to be an awful lot of salt/flavacol. I used just under a 1/4 tablespoon and it was plenty for the 4 oz. of popcorn. I'll try to find out how much salt, kernels and oil are in the 4 oz. fun pop pre measured packets if I have the time to mess with it later.

So what accessories should I look at for my new machine? I don't think I'll get a cart for it right away, but I was going to get a speed scoop and some kettle cleaner, maybe some bags to use when I have guests over, anything else?
Good choice! I have great Northern. Had it for going on 2 years no issues, gold metal is better brand as commercial grade. O only use 1/4 to 1/2 of what it call for flavorcal in my 8 oz kettle.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
gingus is offline  
post #793 of 793 Old 09-13-2017, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member
 
cswiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 624
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Yup, I use about a third the amount of Flavacol salt as they recommend, and that seems to give a nice glaze on the popcorn without being too salty or making you thirsty. I use half a teaspoon for 4oz of popcorn, which is ~2 mL; half a tablespoon that they recommend would be ~7 mL.

Primary (2.1): Thiel CS 1.2 / Velodyne F1000 sub / Adcom GFA-555 Mk2 / Rotel 970BX / Sony CDP-CA9 ES
Secondary (5.1): Paradigm Mini-Monitor v.3 / CC270 v.3 center / ADP-170 v.2 surrounds /
SVS SB1000 sub / Marantz SR-6010 / AppleTV + Win7 PC / BenQ BL3200PT
cswiger is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off