5Likes

post #61 of 475 Old 10-26-2011, 08:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by OJ Bartley View Post

Thanks Mark, that's good to know. I think I'll be going with a Paragon Cineplex for Christmas, and now I'm researching the corn prepacks. Paragon seems to have their own in house brand which I think might be labeled Country Harvest (it is their "part #1000") which I can order for a decent price from the same place I would order the machine. Still comparing options, but it would be good to know if anyone uses this kind.

Portion packs are nice but it's cheaper to buy corn, flavacol and coconut individually. Paragon sells popcorn in bulk that is supposed to be good. Amazon sells coconut oil by the gallon for a good price. You can get flavacol from the webstraunt store for a good price. Their shipping is a little expensive but you can get 4 or 5 cartons for $20 shipped. I thought about portion packs too but it seems that you pay alot for convenience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 475 Old 10-26-2011, 11:00 AM

I've also had a Paragon unit for several years now, it is a 4oz and we use the 6oz packs in it. I love the coconut oil and as others have stated there are in fact worse oils to use then this type.

I find it easy to clean. After my last batch is done I let it cool off a bit and wipe the kettle down aggressively with a dry paper towel. No build up and no problems since I've had it. All the parts come off easily and I just run them through the dishwasher. (outside of the kettle of course)

Also to reduce wear I let it warm up with the kettle unlatched...hanging down. That way the stir mech is not rubbing on the dry kettle bottom. Once it has warmed up I raise it back up, add the oil etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #63 of 475 Old 10-27-2011, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I picked up my very first Popper just today.

It was a prop in one of our Showhome Theater Rooms
...then used just a few times in the office but the kitchen got too crowded with a new coffee maker and espresso machine and something had to go.

as a result it was going to the local eco station WHOA....Freebie?!!!
I'll take that and clean it up if no one else wants it.

I have no idea what make/model/size (probably 4oz.), no manual
only verbal instructions: 2 teaspoons of oil and a 1/4 cup of corn.

It's a counter top model about 12" x 10" x 20" tall,
only markings state Old Fashioned Movie Time Popcorn

[edit note]

I just a little detective work and found it here: (top pinned thread)
http://www.avscience.com/Store/shop....pcorn_Supplies

appears to be a Nostalgia Electrics KPM-508,
and a quick google of that model number turned up the pdf manual I was searching for
http://www.beveragefactory.com/pdf/n...ia/KPM-508.pdf

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

...When a Kuro plasma still isnt enough, make your movie Experience Larger than Life with a Projector!
post #64 of 475 Old 10-28-2011, 04:32 AM

Liked: 13
Great score, PioManiac! You can't go wrong picking up a machine like that for free.

iGuitar93, thanks for the tip. I think I'll get a box of portion packs to get started with the machine, and then look into bulk once I have a good idea of how it works. I have a feeling that once we get it, we'll be going through a lot of popcorn and there looks like substantial savings can be had your way.
post #65 of 475 Old 10-28-2011, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

It had never been cleaned, so that took about an hour but it was worth the effort.
Already found a perfect spot for it where it doesn't interfere with the screen,
doesn't rattle from my subs, and even lights up the floor towards the exit.

Shopping for Coconut oil and Corn at noon today!

...When a Kuro plasma still isnt enough, make your movie Experience Larger than Life with a Projector!
post #66 of 475 Old 10-28-2011, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OJ Bartley View Post

Great score, PioManiac! You can't go wrong picking up a machine like that for free.

iGuitar93, thanks for the tip. I think I'll get a box of portion packs to get started with the machine, and then look into bulk once I have a good idea of how it works. I have a feeling that once we get it, we'll be going through a lot of popcorn and there looks like substantial savings can be had your way.

Yeah. I've been amazed how much corn and supplies I have gone through since I got my popcorn machine. The first few weeks I had it I made popcorn at least once a day, sometimes two.
post #67 of 475 Old 10-31-2011, 12:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchyfrogs View Post

I've also had a Paragon unit for several years now, it is a 4oz and we use the 6oz packs in it. I love the coconut oil and as others have stated there are in fact worse oils to use then this type.

I find it easy to clean. After my last batch is done I let it cool off a bit and wipe the kettle down aggressively with a dry paper towel. No build up and no problems since I've had it. All the parts come off easily and I just run them through the dishwasher. (outside of the kettle of course)

Also to reduce wear I let it warm up with the kettle unlatched...hanging down. That way the stir mech is not rubbing on the dry kettle bottom. Once it has warmed up I raise it back up, add the oil etc.

How does that help ease wear?
Read that elsewhere and was curious
dabsabre likes this.

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #68 of 475 Old 10-31-2011, 03:24 AM

Hi All - I just grabbed this guy on eBay : http://www.ebay.com/itm/Paragon-TP-6...ht_4829wt_1163

I think I got a pretty good deal - very excited to be popping my own corn at home. Now I need to find a deal on a stand, or simply build my own. I'll be looking through this thread today for pre-packaged corn recommendations. Hoping to be enjoying some corn this weekend!

PS - Thanks for all of the great machine recommendations in here; you guys are very helpful!
post #69 of 475 Old 10-31-2011, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

My freebie popper was a HUGE success on the weekend!
G/F thought it was just for display unit I showed up with supplies.

I could not find coconut oil anywhere in the grocery stores Friday afternoon,
So I went to a local Home Outfitters where they actually sell a variety of popping machines
and they had the Nostalgia Electrics popcorn/oil/seasoning kit and the Wabash Real Theater Popcorn kits

I had an in store coupon for $15 so I got one of each ....More Freeibies!!!

This NE kit with butter flavored canola/sunflower oil (not so good),
Corn you measure yourself and 3 mini seasoning shakers...

The Wabash "Real Theater Popcorn" pre-packaged kit with Coconut oil was Much better !!!

I also picked up some Kettle Corn Sweet&Salty seasoning, and I'm officially Hooked!

We used the popper Friday night and good part of Saturday and just left the clean up until late Sunday evening
and it was a breeze this time ...less than 10 minutes.

Also found out after the first batch that my popper is most likely a 2.5 oz unit,
the 4oz kit plugged the kettle solid within seconds after popping started
So I had to split the pre-measured kit for the next batch with much better results...
no big deal but if we had more than the two of us I'd be shopping for a larger capacity popper.

post #70 of 475 Old 12-05-2011, 05:14 PM

Well, I'm about to take the plunge, I'm just trying to decide between the Gold Medal 2404 and the Paragon Cineplex. Arguments are as follows:

Gold Medal 2404
- larger, stainless kettle
- very helpful, friendly dealer
- great reviews on machine

Paragon Cineplex
- about $60 cheaper (they're all expensive to get in Canada)
- Lifetime warranty(?)
- dealer a little pushy, and not very helpful
- great reviews on machine

I'm a little stuck. I probably would have just gone with the Paragon if I hadn't had a bad feeling lately from the dealer, and the GM dealer was always good, never pushy. I like the big stainless kettle on the GM, but the price on the Paragon, and part of me thinks the kettle may be a non-issue with practical use. Still, if I'm going to shell out for a machine, I might as well do it right the first time for a negligible increase in cost. See? I talk myself back and forth.

I'll be driving right past both pickup locations on Thursday (Paragon is 2hrs out of the city, GM is in town, 40 mins from me) so I'll have to decide by then.
post #71 of 475 Old 12-05-2011, 06:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
OJ,

Do you mean the 2404 from Gold Medal?

We just ordered the Paragon Cineplex 4 oz. popcorn machine and stand in the antique copper color from Ken at Stargate Cinema. I went with the Paragon for a few reasons. First, our machine is going to sit against the wall in our home theater and the Cineplex places the decal facing out with the power cord in the rear. Second, the Cineplex color is very appealing and non-traditional. Our popcorn machine will be in the same room as our HDTV. We do not have a dedicated concession room/area, so the antique copper color will fit our decor much better. Third, the Cineplex has received rave reviews from all that I've read. Fourth, the lifetime warranty for home useage. Lastly, it was very affordable for a commercial grade popcorn machine.

I don't think you can go wrong with either manufacturer. I've read the reviews for the Gold Medal machines, and they are top notch.

That sucks that you are having issues with the Paragon dealer. Fortunately for us in the US, we can order from great places like Stargate Cinema. Good luck in whichever direction you choose to go!

I'd like to know which one you decide on, and would love to see pics when you get it!
post #72 of 475 Old 12-06-2011, 06:46 AM

Thanks Crow, you're absolutely right, I meant the 2404, not 2424 and have corrected in my original. I spoke to Ken early in the process, but shipping was a bit expensive, and brought the price in line with the locals. Then there's the uncertainty of duty, brokerage fees, and import taxes.

That's a good point you raise about the location of the cord. I'm not sure how this will be placed yet, but I do know we won't have a dedicated snack counter, and it is likely that the machine will be placed against (or near) a wall or corner. Now I remember reading about the cord/switch placement of the Cineplex being better oriented to home use.

I think unless something comes up to dissuade me, I'm going to stick with the less expensive Paragon unit. If I call the dealer that morning and he doesn't have one (I was told that there is one in stock, but he wouldn't hold it for me until Thursday without a deposit) then I'll move on to the Gold Medal without a second thought. I'll get my supplies from the better local dealer.

I think either unit will be a fantastic addition, and there really isn't a loser in the pair. But it would be amazing if the combination of the Paragon's price, warranty, home-oriented design, and the Gold Medal's stainless kettle could be combined. Oh well, I guess sometimes in life you just have to get off the fence and make a decision.

Edit: I don't think I've seen ANY comments about the Paragon's kettle flaking or corroding, so if nobody here has heard of issues with it, then they probably don't exist.
post #73 of 475 Old 12-06-2011, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

OJ,

I figured shipping, fees, and whatnot were going to be cost prohibitive for you up in Canada. That definitely limits your options as far as where you purchase your popcorn machine. Jautor has a photo of the Paragon Cineplex in his theater in the link in his signature. I don't know if you've seen the photo or not, or have seen both machines in person, but it helps to see the product outside of it's formal production shots.

You are definitely right. You can't go wrong with either unit. Getting your supplies from the better local dealer sounds like a great idea.

Unfortunately for us, I had to blind order the Cineplex, since we don't have a local Paragon dealer. And, since this is my Christmas present, I won't be able to open it up until Christmas morning!!
post #74 of 475 Old 12-07-2011, 04:58 AM

Lol... I'll be in the almost same situation. This will be a gift to my wife and I from Santa, and it will be a surprise for her so I will have to hide it and wrap it and sneak it under the tree somehow. And of course that means I won't be able to open it either.

I tried to take a look at large photos, and those of people who bought the units, but it is still tough to get a good look at things like switches and power cords. I'm going in mostly unseen as well, but thankfully there is a lot of help for us here from people who own the various units. I'd be a lot more apprehensive of dropping this kind of money without some independent confirmation that the product is worth it. The GM dealer is about 40 minutes from me, so I could have gone to see that one in person, but the Paragon is almost 3 hours away. Luckily, I'll be traveling right past their location for business, so at least I get covered on the gas for the pickup trip.

I'll make sure to post after I make my final decision and pick up a unit tomorrow. I'm excited to make popcorn on Christmas day!
post #75 of 475 Old 12-07-2011, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member

Our Paragon Cineplex popcorn machine & stand arrived yesterday via Stargate Cinema. Each piece came in their own individual box. One box weighed 46 lbs, and the other was 51 lbs. After they arrived, I took them down to the basement and put the machine box on top of the stand box. It looks like it will fit the space perfectly. We don't have a lot of extra space down there, so a smaller machine and stand works best for us. It is going to be a LONG 18 days!

I told my wife that we are having popcorn for Christmas dinner.

Can't wait to see which unit you go with, OJ!
post #76 of 475 Old 12-07-2011, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
My Dad bought me a Great Northern Popcorn machine as a gift for christmas. I just finished my theater on thanksgiving, and he gave me the machine as a finishing touch. We've used it everyday since with no issues. The popcorn is great, cleaning it up is a pain, but not hard.

Right now I got all my supplies from Sam's Club but am looking forward to trying out the coconut oil in the future.

My Theater build

xbox360 gamertag: MASTERpTWINKIE
PS3: zaczimer
post #77 of 475 Old 12-08-2011, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrow1994 View Post

We just ordered the Paragon Cineplex 4 oz. popcorn machine and stand in the antique copper color from Ken at Stargate Cinema. I went with the Paragon for a few reasons. First, our machine is going to sit against the wall in our home theater and the Cineplex places the decal facing out with the power cord in the rear. Second, the Cineplex color is very appealing and non-traditional. Our popcorn machine will be in the same room as our HDTV. We do not have a dedicated concession room/area, so the antique copper color will fit our decor much better. Third, the Cineplex has received rave reviews from all that I've read. Fourth, the lifetime warranty for home useage. Lastly, it was very affordable for a commercial grade popcorn machine.

I was going to write that paragraph. Now I don't have to.

Did exactly the same thing for exactly the same reasons, and bought from the same guy...

Mine sits in the game room outside the theater, but in a corner, facing out, and looks great in the copper color...

Jeff

-- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:

post #78 of 475 Old 12-08-2011, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Jautor has a photo of the Paragon Cineplex in his theater in the link in his signature. I don't know if you've seen the photo or not, or have seen both machines in person, but it helps to see the product outside of it's formal production shots.

Here, I'll save y'all the link clicky...

I was surprised by how little actual space it takes up (compared to the 'cart' models)...

Jeff

-- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:

post #79 of 475 Old 12-09-2011, 04:02 AM
Advanced Member

Jeff,

It was your photo of the Cineplex in your home theater that ultimately decided it for us in going with that particular model popcorn machine. You have a BEAUTIFUL theater, and thanks for taking that pic of your antique copper Paragon Cineplex in a "real" location (other than the stock photos you see everywhere online)!
post #80 of 475 Old 12-09-2011, 05:18 AM

Thanks for the pic, Jeff. I did end up buying the Paragon, and although I didn't take it out of the packing box, I did open it up to look inside, and it really is smaller than I expected which will be great for our future setup I think. I'm not sure if it will sit on a countertop or stand at this point, but if it does need a stand I'll probably build one myself, since I do enjoy projects.

So I'm now a happy owner of a Paragon Cineplex (in red) and I have to keep it tucked away in the basement until Christmas. I guess if TheCrow can stand it, so can I! Thanks everyone for the help and advice in this thread, it is most appreciated.
post #81 of 475 Old 12-09-2011, 07:07 AM
Advanced Member

Congrats, OJ! You got a lot further along than I did....I didn't even get to open the box and look at it! No, I can't stand it...I go downstairs and stare at the boxes a couple of times a day.
post #82 of 475 Old 12-09-2011, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Jeff,

It was your photo of the Cineplex in your home theater that ultimately decided it for us in going with that particular model popcorn machine. You have a BEAUTIFUL theater, and thanks for taking that pic of your antique copper Paragon Cineplex in a "real" location (other than the stock photos you see everywhere online)!

Glad it helped! Always tough looking at this stuff via stock photos. I hadn't seen any photos (beyond the stock ones on the website), either - so I was thrilled when I took it out of the box and it looked so nice. I didn't wait - mine got carried upstairs and unboxed immediately!

Jeff

Theater build photos:

post #83 of 475 Old 12-10-2011, 04:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Cute popcorn machine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Here, I'll save y'all the link clicky...

I was surprised by how little actual space it takes up (compared to the 'cart' models)...

Jeff

post #84 of 475 Old 12-10-2011, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcdoctor View Post

Cute popcorn machine!

NEVER call a man's toys "cute"...
elmalloc likes this.

Theater build photos:

post #85 of 475 Old 12-10-2011, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

She can say that.

Randy

post #86 of 475 Old 12-10-2011, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

I have this machine and built a base so I don't have to bend over.

dabsabre likes this.

Randy

post #87 of 475 Old 12-10-2011, 06:08 PM
Advanced Member

Looks great, Randy! Thanks for the pictures. Good idea with building the stand to make the machine a little taller and more accessible.
post #88 of 475 Old 12-10-2011, 10:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyNow^ View Post

She can say that.

I honestly missed that minor detail, and made a really bad assumption about thee demographics of the forum.

Jeff

Theater build photos:

post #89 of 475 Old 12-10-2011, 10:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyNow^ View Post

I have this machine and built a base so I don't have to bend over.

Very nice! Does the stand's door clear the trim ok? Mine drags the carpet a bit as it sits so low (I didn't even check if the feet were adjustable)

Jeff

Theater build photos:

post #90 of 475 Old 12-11-2011, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Thx HeyNow!

Jautor,
Your popper looks MANLY!
LOL!

HeyNow,
I just realized this is your room with the trash can.
I love your entire room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

I honestly missed that minor detail, and made a really bad assumption about thee demographics of the forum.

Jeff

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page