5Likes

post #121 of 475 Old 01-05-2012, 07:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by forestmoonstudio View Post

I just bought the Paragon Cineplex.Paragon is doing FREE shipping,a FREE case of popcorn or 5% off purchase and you can get a FREE cleaning disk with purchase over $100.
http://www.paragonpopcornmachines.com/enter.html

One downside. You have to pay shipping on the popcorn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 475 Old 01-05-2012, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrow1994 View Post

Well, I FINALLY got to open up my Christmas present yesterday, a Paragon Cineplex 4 oz. popcorn machine and stand in the antique copper finish. I am really impressed with the fit and finish of the machine and stand. The machine and stand are not very big, but they fit perfectly into the space afforded in our basement.

Couldn't have said it better myself!

Quote:

The stand came fully assembled. It does have adjustable feet.

Thank you! Ha, I didn't even notice it when I put mine together! With the feet all the way down, the stand door dragged on the carpet (but also swept up escapees). I was able to lean it back and forth enough to adjust the feet easily, now the door works much better.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #123 of 475 Old 01-05-2012, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OJ Bartley View Post

Well, I finally got to open our new Paragon Cineplex popper and fire it up on Boxing Day, and overall I think I'm happy with it.

Here's a quick pic in its temporary home on the dining room table.

I didn't realize until seeing your picture that graphics on the door are different between the Cineplex "classic" color scheme and the antique copper one. Mine (copper) has a film strip logo instead of the popcorn bucket. Don't think I have a preference, just hadn't noticed that they were different...

Jeff

-- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:

post #124 of 475 Old 01-05-2012, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

"Paragon is doing..."

Just a quick FYI. That is a reseller selling Paragon machines, not Paragon itself. The manufacturer's web site is here: www.manufacturedfun.com

Enjoy your machine. You will get many many years of use out of it.

Ken Lerch
StargateCinema.com
Home Theater Seating and Decor
HTSeating.com
Home Theater Seating

post #125 of 475 Old 01-05-2012, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

I didn't realize until seeing your picture that graphics on the door are different between the Cineplex "classic" color scheme and the antique copper one. Mine (copper) has a film strip logo instead of the popcorn bucket. Don't think I have a preference, just hadn't noticed that they were different...

Jeff

Jeff,

All 3 Paragon Cineplex machines have different graphics (red, yellow, & antique copper) The yellow popper's graphics include the words "Piping Hot!" & "Tasty". Just like you, I don't have a preference to any of them, but I think it's pretty cool that it's not just a color scheme difference with each popper in the lineup.
post #126 of 475 Old 01-05-2012, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Thank you! Ha, I didn't even notice it when I put mine together! With the feet all the way down, the stand door dragged on the carpet (but also swept up escapees). I was able to lean it back and forth enough to adjust the feet easily, now the door works much better.

Jeff

Glad I was able to help out, Jeff. After all, it was your "in theater" pictures that persuaded me to purchase the Paragon Cineplex antique copper popcorn machine.

BTW, I just made the first batch a couple of days ago and my wife is asking for popcorn all the time now. She was skeptical at first, but she is a believer now. It REALLY is theater popcorn at home.
post #127 of 475 Old 01-09-2012, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I'm planning on a 6-oz Paragon machine for my theater project. I wish that their antique copper model was available in the 6-oz size, because that's the one with the aesthetics I prefer.

One question: it's been mentioned several times that the Cineplex model is friendlier for the home because the cord is on the back and the graphics are on the door, suitable for use on a countertop.

What I can't tell is: where is the plug on the other machines? I see that the switches (and the UL sticker, bleh) are on the front on other models like the TheaterPop, but I don't see where the plug is.

By the way, where are the switches on the Cineplex? I don't see them in the picture.

Thanks!

Mike Kobb
(Formerly "ReplayMike". These opinions are mine alone, and in no way reflect the opinions of employers past or present!)

post #128 of 475 Old 01-10-2012, 04:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike View Post

I'm planning on a 6-oz Paragon machine for my theater project. I wish that their antique copper model was available in the 6-oz size, because that's the one with the aesthetics I prefer.

One question: it's been mentioned several times that the Cineplex model is friendlier for the home because the cord is on the back and the graphics are on the door, suitable for use on a countertop.

What I can't tell is: where is the plug on the other machines? I see that the switches (and the UL sticker, bleh) are on the front on other models like the TheaterPop, but I don't see where the plug is.

By the way, where are the switches on the Cineplex? I don't see them in the picture.

Thanks!

The switches for the Paragon Cineplex models are located inside the plexiglass door, on the left side of the hood. If you are able to blow up some of the stock photos, you can see the labels for the switches on the outside of the popper.

I'm not sure where the power cords are all the other models, but I have seen photos of the Contempo and that cord is located on the side of the popper. So if you are facing the side that opens to access the popcorn, the power supply comes from the right side of the machine.
post #129 of 475 Old 01-10-2012, 04:24 AM

Liked: 13
TheCrow just beat me to it. I'll take a few pictures of my 4oz Cineplex tonight to show the cord, switches, etc. because I know that information would have helped me when I was looking.
post #130 of 475 Old 01-11-2012, 04:46 AM

OK, here are a few pics showing the cord (on the back), the switch indicators on the front, and a closeup of the switches, which are located on the "ceiling" of the machine, on the inside.

Please ignore the mess, it isn't in its permanent home yet, and we just used it and I haven't cleaned up.
LL
LL
LL
post #131 of 475 Old 01-11-2012, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the pictures!

After much googling, it looks like the other models have the cord on the right side as mentioned, in the corner closest to the door. That's a bummer for me aesthetically since the space for my machine is at the left end of a countertop, and I did think I wanted a 6oz machine. :-(

Mike Kobb
(Formerly "ReplayMike". These opinions are mine alone, and in no way reflect the opinions of employers past or present!)

post #132 of 475 Old 01-11-2012, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Thanks Mike for bringing this up about the cord! I hadn't even considered cord location, but now that you mention it, that is going to be very important.

Can we put together a list of which manufacturers/models have the cord on the back, but the door opens at the front?

My perpetual home theater build -
post #133 of 475 Old 01-11-2012, 06:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebrunner View Post

Thanks Mike for bringing this up about the cord! I hadn't even considered cord location, but now that you mention it, that is going to be very important.

Can we put together a list of which manufacturers/models have the cord on the back, but the door opens at the front?

Here's a small list I came up with when I was looking for our popcorn machine. Being able to place it against the wall was the first requirement in deciding which machine to purchase.

Paragon Cineplex
Benchmark Metropolitan
Gold Medal 6 oz Race Car
post #134 of 475 Old 01-11-2012, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

For what it's worth, several photos showed the cord tucked under the unit just as it emerged from the side. It looked pretty unobtrusive.

I happened to get to sample some popcorn from a 12-cup Paragon today at CES and it was great. :-). The guy that had the Paragon in his booth couldn't say enough good things about the machine and Paragon's customer service.

I may inquire as to whether they could just re-route the cord. I'm sure my electrician could do it, but I suspect that'd void the warranty so I'd rather get it that way...

Mike Kobb

post #135 of 475 Old 01-12-2012, 04:34 AM

Mike and nebrunner, for what its worth, I think you could tuck the cord under the machine to route it a different direction without too much trouble (at least on the Cineplex). It might not be the most elegant solution, but I wouldn't write off an otherwise great machine just based on cord placement if you have found one that you like everything else about.

Oh, and Mike, as far as the size of the machine goes, the 4oz seems to make about the right amount for 2, probably similar to a standard batch of microwave or air-popped popcorn. It works for my wife and I, but I can't lie, if we got a 6oz we'd probably go through that in a sitting too. If there are more than 2 of you I think you might be right in going for a larger machine (or the Gold Medal 4oz which has a large kettle that can cook 6oz packs).
post #136 of 475 Old 01-12-2012, 05:03 PM

Got mine in today!
post #137 of 475 Old 01-12-2012, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

Looks great! And you are already enjoying the fantastic popcorn.
post #138 of 475 Old 01-12-2012, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Mike and nebrunner, for what its worth, I think you could tuck the cord under the machine to route it a different direction without too much trouble (at least on the Cineplex). It might not be the most elegant solution, but I wouldn't write off an otherwise great machine just based on cord placement if you have found one that you like everything else about.

Oh, and Mike, as far as the size of the machine goes, the 4oz seems to make about the right amount for 2, probably similar to a standard batch of microwave or air-popped popcorn. It works for my wife and I, but I can't lie, if we got a 6oz we'd probably go through that in a sitting too. If there are more than 2 of you I think you might be right in going for a larger machine (or the Gold Medal 4oz which has a large kettle that can cook 6oz packs).

Thanks for all that! I think 6oz is the way to go as my theater will seat 7-11 people. I would guess that 3-5 will be a common audience, and I'd rather not have to make several batches.

Mike Kobb

post #139 of 475 Old 01-13-2012, 04:45 AM

Looks great forestmoon! I probably would have gone with that colour, but my wife preferred the traditional red. Hey, who am I to argue?

mike, we do need to make a double batch when we have guests over for movies, so that's probably a good call. I would take a serious look at the Gold Medal 2404 (4oz) machine to compare to 6oz poppers. The kettle is big enough to use the 6oz packs, and it is all stainless steel instead of coated or anodized aluminum found on other machines. I'm not sure how the larger 6oz units are priced, but if I was able to save a few bucks by getting the 2404 I'd be all for it, and get the better kettle as a bonus. You can't really go wrong with either brand, but it would be worth looking into.

Here, check out the link godsbrother posted comparing kettles way back on page 1 if you haven't seen it: HERE

Oh, and as a side note, I just got my 2nd kettle burn the other night. In my haste to scoop out the popcorn, I keep touching the kettle. I'll learn... eventually.
post #140 of 475 Old 01-13-2012, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Here, check out the link godsbrother posted comparing kettles way back on page 1 if you haven't seen it: HERE

There is no debating that Gold Medal's 4 oz kettles are bigger than the Paragon machines. Which is a major plus, especially if you are able to produce 6 oz batch at the price of a 4 oz popper. But, to be fair, here is what Paragon says about their own kettle.

"Why are hard-coat anodized aluminum kettles considered the best?
When you are cooking popcorn in your popcorn machine there are two key elements, heat transfer and ease of cleaning. Aluminum provides the best heat transfer of any approved cooking material which means that the heat from the elements transfer completely to the food resulting in much better performance. When you anodize aluminum you are changing the molecular surface of the aluminum and filling in the pores of the material. This makes a very smooth and slippery surface which can be cleaned very easily and is extremely durable."

I don't think you can go wrong with either manufacturer. Good luck on your search.

On a side note, you can get the Gold Medal Funpop 2404 in red, yellow (YL), or black(MD).
post #141 of 475 Old 01-14-2012, 02:47 PM

Quote:

But, to be fair, here is what Paragon says about their own kettle...

Ah, touche, Crow! I think you're right, either machine will be great. We're 1 of 3 into the LOTR movies for our lazy weekend, and on our 2nd batch already. Here's another crappy BB pic of the machine in its new temporary (until I build a nice stand) home:
LL
post #142 of 475 Old 01-14-2012, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member

Lookin' good, OJ! You're getting some major usage out of your new purchase. I've got to upload the pictures I took of our popcorn machine & stand. Maybe I can do that tomorrow.
post #143 of 475 Old 01-14-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:

There is no debating that Gold Medal's 4 oz kettles are bigger than the Paragon machines. Which is a major plus, especially if you are able to produce 6 oz batch at the price of a 4 oz popper. But, to be fair, here is what Paragon says about their own kettle.

"Why are hard-coat anodized aluminum kettles considered the best?
When you are cooking popcorn in your popcorn machine there are two key elements, heat transfer and ease of cleaning. Aluminum provides the best heat transfer of any approved cooking material which means that the heat from the elements transfer completely to the food resulting in much better performance. When you anodize aluminum you are changing the molecular surface of the aluminum and filling in the pores of the material. This makes a very smooth and slippery surface which can be cleaned very easily and is extremely durable."

I don't think you can go wrong with either manufacturer. Good luck on your search.

On a side note, you can get the Gold Medal Funpop 2404 in red, yellow (YL), or black(MD).

FWIW...

I make 6oz packs every time in my 4oz Parargon without problems.

post #144 of 475 Old 01-14-2012, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchyfrogs View Post

FWIW...

I make 6oz packs every time in my 4oz Parargon without problems.

Thanks. That's great to know. I'll have to order some 6 oz. packets after we get done using up the 4 oz ones.
post #145 of 475 Old 01-15-2012, 06:13 AM

Hmmm, I wonder if the corn I have is a little old. Even with the 4oz, I'm getting lots of old maids, and I feel like the kettle might be overcrowded. I didn't think I'd be able to cook a 6oz pack in there. Maybe that's just me, I'll experiment with my technique.
post #146 of 475 Old 01-15-2012, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 32
One year into owning a paragon 6 oz popper and couldn't be happier. Regularly pop 8 oz loads with no more old maids then when using my All Clad kettle on the stove top .Paragon poppers built in Iowa, by folks that have some of the best popcorn to test with. Top Notch....Top Notch.

underachiever extraordinaire
post #147 of 475 Old 01-20-2012, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Here are some of the pics I promised of our Paragon Cineplex 4 oz. popcorn machine in "antique copper". Thanks goes out to Ken at Stargate Cinema for wonderful service.

These were the boxes sitting in the basement home theater for a month. I wasn't allowed to open them before Christmas Day. That was a LONG month.

Here's how the machine was packaged from the manufaturer.

Here's a look at the warming deck exposed with the old maid tray visible. Also, the stand door is open so you can see the shelf on the inside.

And here it is all lit up and ready to make popcorn.
post #148 of 475 Old 01-20-2012, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here are some of the pics I promised of our Paragon Cineplex 4 oz. popcorn machine in "antique copper".

Great pictures! Looks like we have the same taste in popcorn machines *AND* carpet!

Jeff

Theater build photos:

post #149 of 475 Old 01-20-2012, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Machine Looks great!

I have one of those cheap Westbend poppers (the 4oz one) and a stir crazy . Anyone have suggestions on an affordable popcorn warmer?

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #150 of 475 Old 01-21-2012, 05:29 AM

Looks great, Crow! The stand really does add something... I'll have to get to work on mine. We are still loving ours, and might even like it better than movie popcorn now. Never saw that one coming!
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page